Car Hire in Edinburgh
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Edinburgh?
The capital of Scotland, Edinburgh is the UK’s second-most visited city (after London) for a reason. In addition to its well-preserved architecture and fairy-tale atmosphere, the city is a cultural and innovation hub and boasts some of the country’s best museums.
One-way Car Hire in Edinburgh
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Edinburgh and drop off in another city include:
- From Edinburgh to Glasgow - 327 offers from £ 25.64 per day
- From Edinburgh to Inverness - 143 offers from £ 32.39 per day
- From Edinburgh to Manchester - 104 offers from £ 30.86 per day
- From Edinburgh to Aberdeen - 104 offers from £ 32.39 per day
- From Edinburgh to London - 130 offers from £ 33.33 per day
Top ways to enter Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Airport. The busiest in Scotland, Edinburgh Airport handles about 15 million travellers annually. A number of low-cost carriers fly here, including easyJet and Ryanair. Edinburgh Airport is about a 30-minute drive from the city centre.
- Glasgow Airports. There are two other international airports near Edinburgh, both nominally serving the neighbouring city of Glasgow. By far the largest of the two, Glasgow Airport is about a 90-minute drive east while the smaller Glasgow-Prestwick Airport, served only by Ryanair, is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away.
Top destinations and activities
- Edinburgh Castle. The symbol of Edinburgh and home of the Scottish Crown Jewels, this is arguably the most famous of all the Edinburgh landmarks. The castle was first built more than 1,000 years ago, though the complex has been renovated and expanded over the centuries. Tickets need to be purchased in advance — you can do that on the official website.
- Scottish National Gallery. Another Edinburgh treasure, the National Gallery has a collection of virtually all of the most notable Scottish artists, as well as foreign masters like Botticelli, Gauguin, Cezanne, and many more. As with Edinburgh Castle, you should book your tickets in advance.
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. Not just a public green area, but also a centre for the conservation and study of plants, RBGE is home to more than 13,000 floral species (as well as a herbarium of over three million specimens). In addition to plants native to the British Isles, there are many exotic species that can be found in the Palm House and Cryptogamic Garden.
Traffic and parking
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and along red lines is illegal).
- There are relatively few parking areas available for city visitors in Edinburgh. Some paid parking spots are available via a pay-and-display system. You can find many of those on this map on the city’s official website. The exact fee will depend on the length of the time you park there, the hour of the day, and the day of the week. It is not a good idea to park without a permit as the fines are quite high and the rules are strictly enforced; sometimes your car might even be towed away.
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lighting.
- In Scotland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. In the rest of the UK, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the documentation of the car need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Leith. Technically a district of Edinburgh, the port area is highly distinct — it even has its own accent! Naturally, many of the attractions here are sea-related — such as the Trinity House Maritime Museum, the display of the Royal Yacht Britannia, and the scenic waterfront. Leith is immediately to the north of Edinburgh and only a short drive away.
- Glasgow. The largest city of Scotland and sometimes seen as a rival of Edinburgh, Glasgow might not be as historic or picturesque but is definitely a very fun destination. Not that there’s any lack of notable landmarks — Glasgow Cathedral, St. Mungo’s Museum of Religious Life and Art, Kelvingrove Park and Art Gallery, and even Glasgow Necropolis are just a few to mention. The drive from Edinburgh takes only about an hour and 20 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Edinburgh is the Skoda Octavia, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Vauxhall Corsa. The most popular car types are economy, compact, and intermediate.
Car Hire Prices in Edinburgh
- Station wagons - starting at £ 199 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 175 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 126 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 370 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 231 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 102 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 187 per day
These are some good methods to save money on the car you’ll hire:
- Compare rates of different car hire providers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Edinburgh is the cheapest in October.
Top 20 Cities near Edinburgh
London starting at £ 48.33 per day509.9 km / 316.8 miles away
Manchester starting at £ 67.17 per day284.3 km / 176.7 miles away
Belfast starting at £ 12.49 per day216.6 km / 134.6 miles away
Luton starting at £ 29.02 per day492.8 km / 306.2 miles away
Glasgow starting at £ 35.56 per day61.6 km / 38.3 miles away
Birmingham starting at £ 27.35 per day396.4 km / 246.3 miles away
Leeds starting at £ 46.56 per day268.4 km / 166.8 miles away
Bristol starting at £ 31.80 per day509.7 km / 316.7 miles away
Liverpool starting at £ 27.35 per day292.9 km / 182.0 miles away
Inverness starting at £ 31.80 per day181.8 km / 113.0 miles away
Newcastle starting at £ 27.35 per day146.6 km / 91.1 miles away
Watford starting at £ 26.08 per day516.5 km / 321.0 miles away
Reading starting at £ 27.35 per day526.9 km / 327.4 miles away
Croydon starting at £ 59.32 per day551.8 km / 342.9 miles away
Southampton starting at £ 17.42 per day575.6 km / 357.7 miles away
Cardiff starting at £ 27.35 per day506.3 km / 314.6 miles away
Wolverhampton starting at £ 55.28 per day383.5 km / 238.3 miles away
Preston starting at £ 25.06 per day246.0 km / 152.8 miles away
Slough starting at £ 27.35 per day524.6 km / 326.0 miles away
Leicester starting at £ 27.35 per day395.2 km / 245.6 miles away
Top 17 Destinations around Edinburgh
Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station starting at £ 65.76 per day
Edinburgh Leith starting at £ 96.84 per day2.8 km / 1.7 miles away
Edinburgh Sighthill starting at £ 35.56 per day7.5 km / 4.7 miles away
Edinburgh Airport starting at £ 31.80 per day11.5 km / 7.1 miles away
Stirling Railway Station starting at £ 44.43 per day50.0 km / 31.1 miles away
Dundee Airport starting at £ 91.13 per day56.4 km / 35.0 miles away
Dundee West starting at £ 103.59 per day59.7 km / 37.1 miles away
Glasgow Scotstounhill starting at £ 35.56 per day73.1 km / 45.4 miles away
Glasgow Airport starting at £ 31.80 per day78.1 km / 48.5 miles away
Newcastle Airport starting at £ 27.35 per day138.8 km / 86.2 miles away
Aberdeen Airport starting at £ 31.80 per day151.6 km / 94.2 miles away
Inverness Airport starting at £ 31.80 per day184.3 km / 114.5 miles away
Belfast Cruise Port starting at £ 12.49 per day225.6 km / 140.2 miles away
George Best Belfast City Airport starting at £ 61.91 per day225.7 km / 140.2 miles away
Isle of Man Airport starting at £ 28.68 per day227.2 km / 141.2 miles away
Belfast Central Railway station starting at £ 112.70 per day229.5 km / 142.6 miles away
Belfast International Airport starting at £ 61.91 per day239.7 km / 149.0 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Edinburgh?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Edinburgh?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Edinburgh?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Arnold Clark||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Citroen Berlingo||4||6||Medium cars|
|Arnold Clark||Kia Ceed||5||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Ford Focus||4||2||Medium cars|
|Arnold Clark||Peugeot 3008||5||3||SUVs|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.