Car Hire in Edinburgh
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Edinburgh?
The capital of Scotland, Edinburgh is the UK’s second-most visited city (after London) for a reason. In addition to its well-preserved architecture and fairy-tale atmosphere, the city is a cultural and innovation hub and boasts some of the country’s best museums.
One-way Car Hire in Edinburgh
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Edinburgh and drop off in another city include:
- From Edinburgh to Glasgow - 327 offers from £ 25.98 per day
- From Edinburgh to Inverness - 143 offers from £ 32.83 per day
- From Edinburgh to Manchester - 104 offers from £ 31.27 per day
- From Edinburgh to Aberdeen - 104 offers from £ 32.83 per day
- From Edinburgh to London - 130 offers from £ 33.78 per day
Top ways to enter Edinburgh
- Edinburgh Airport. The busiest in Scotland, Edinburgh Airport handles about 15 million travellers annually. A number of low-cost carriers fly here, including easyJet and Ryanair. Edinburgh Airport is about a 30-minute drive from the city centre.
- Glasgow Airports. There are two other international airports near Edinburgh, both nominally serving the neighbouring city of Glasgow. By far the largest of the two, Glasgow Airport is about a 90-minute drive east while the smaller Glasgow-Prestwick Airport, served only by Ryanair, is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away.
Top destinations and activities
- Edinburgh Castle. The symbol of Edinburgh and home of the Scottish Crown Jewels, this is arguably the most famous of all the Edinburgh landmarks. The castle was first built more than 1,000 years ago, though the complex has been renovated and expanded over the centuries. Tickets need to be purchased in advance — you can do that on the official website.
- Scottish National Gallery. Another Edinburgh treasure, the National Gallery has a collection of virtually all of the most notable Scottish artists, as well as foreign masters like Botticelli, Gauguin, Cezanne, and many more. As with Edinburgh Castle, you should book your tickets in advance.
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. Not just a public green area, but also a centre for the conservation and study of plants, RBGE is home to more than 13,000 floral species (as well as a herbarium of over three million specimens). In addition to plants native to the British Isles, there are many exotic species that can be found in the Palm House and Cryptogamic Garden.
Traffic and parking
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and along red lines is illegal).
- There are relatively few parking areas available for city visitors in Edinburgh. Some paid parking spots are available via a pay-and-display system. You can find many of those on this map on the city’s official website. The exact fee will depend on the length of the time you park there, the hour of the day, and the day of the week. It is not a good idea to park without a permit as the fines are quite high and the rules are strictly enforced; sometimes your car might even be towed away.
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lighting.
- In Scotland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. In the rest of the UK, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the documentation of the car need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Ideas for day trips
- Leith. Technically a district of Edinburgh, the port area is highly distinct — it even has its own accent! Naturally, many of the attractions here are sea-related — such as the Trinity House Maritime Museum, the display of the Royal Yacht Britannia, and the scenic waterfront. Leith is immediately to the north of Edinburgh and only a short drive away.
- Glasgow. The largest city of Scotland and sometimes seen as a rival of Edinburgh, Glasgow might not be as historic or picturesque but is definitely a very fun destination. Not that there’s any lack of notable landmarks — Glasgow Cathedral, St. Mungo’s Museum of Religious Life and Art, Kelvingrove Park and Art Gallery, and even Glasgow Necropolis are just a few to mention. The drive from Edinburgh takes only about an hour and 20 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Edinburgh is the Skoda Octavia, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Vauxhall Corsa. The most popular car types are economy, compact, and intermediate.
Car Hire Prices in Edinburgh
- Station wagons - starting at £ 24 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 26 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 48 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 11 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 17 per day
These are some good methods to save money on the car you’ll hire:
- Compare rates of different car hire providers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Edinburgh is the cheapest in October.
Top 20 Cities near Edinburgh
Dundee Car Hire starting at £ 48.38 per day62.4 km / 38.8 miles away
Glasgow Car Hire starting at £ 11.17 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Paisley Car Hire starting at £ 38.70 per day67.4 km / 41.9 miles away
Carlisle Car Hire starting at £ 38.70 per day120.8 km / 75.1 miles away
Newcastle Car Hire starting at £ 16.09 per day146.6 km / 91.1 miles away
Aberdeen Car Hire starting at £ 12.58 per day156.8 km / 97.4 miles away
Sunderland Car Hire starting at £ 66.19 per day170.3 km / 105.8 miles away
Inverness Car Hire starting at £ 14.31 per day181.8 km / 113.0 miles away
Middlesbrough Car Hire starting at £ 66.19 per day204.8 km / 127.3 miles away
Barrow-in-Furness Car Hire starting at £ 24.86 per day204.9 km / 127.3 miles away
Belfast Car Hire starting at £ 14.47 per day230.3 km / 143.1 miles away
Blackpool Car Hire starting at £ 58.80 per day243.1 km / 151.1 miles away
Preston Car Hire starting at £ 48.38 per day246.0 km / 152.9 miles away
Leeds Car Hire starting at £ 20.96 per day256.3 km / 159.3 miles away
Derry Car Hire starting at £ 20.07 per day259.0 km / 160.9 miles away
Bolton Car Hire starting at £ 24.86 per day272.3 km / 169.2 miles away
Warrington Car Hire starting at £ 48.38 per day289.3 km / 179.8 miles away
Liverpool Car Hire starting at £ 11.61 per day292.9 km / 182.0 miles away
Manchester Car Hire starting at £ 10.90 per day297.2 km / 184.7 miles away
Holyhead Car Hire starting at £ 24.86 per day304.0 km / 188.9 miles away
Top 20 Destinations around Edinburgh
Edinburgh Airport Car Hire starting at £ 10.96 per day
Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station Car Hire starting at £ 14.37 per day11.5 km / 7.1 miles away
Glasgow Airport Car Hire starting at £ 11.17 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Newcastle Airport Car Hire starting at £ 16.09 per day146.6 km / 91.1 miles away
Aberdeen Airport Car Hire starting at £ 12.58 per day156.8 km / 97.4 miles away
Inverness Airport Car Hire starting at £ 14.31 per day181.8 km / 113.0 miles away
Belfast City Airport Car Hire starting at £ 20.07 per day216.8 km / 134.7 miles away
Belfast International Airport Car Hire starting at £ 14.47 per day230.3 km / 143.1 miles away
Leeds Bradford Airport Car Hire starting at £ 20.96 per day256.3 km / 159.3 miles away
Derry Airport Car Hire starting at £ 20.07 per day259.0 km / 160.9 miles away
Liverpool Airport Car Hire starting at £ 11.61 per day292.9 km / 182.0 miles away
Manchester Airport Car Hire starting at £ 10.90 per day297.2 km / 184.7 miles away
Holyhead Port Car Hire starting at £ 24.86 per day304.0 km / 188.9 miles away
East Midlands Airport Car Hire starting at £ 13.98 per day371.2 km / 230.7 miles away
Birmingham Airport Car Hire starting at £ 14.75 per day402.8 km / 250.3 miles away
Luton Airport Car Hire starting at £ 11.18 per day493.9 km / 306.9 miles away
Bristol Temple Meads Railway station Car Hire starting at £ 66.19 per day503.1 km / 312.6 miles away
Cardiff Airport Car Hire starting at £ 24.72 per day506.3 km / 314.6 miles away
Bristol Airport Car Hire starting at £ 12.73 per day509.7 km / 316.7 miles away
London Stansted Airport Car Hire starting at £ 11.10 per day509.9 km / 316.8 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Edinburgh the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Edinburgh?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Edinburgh?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||5|
|Popular suppliers||Drivalia, Arnold Clark, Easirent, Alamo, Enterprise|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 11 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Drivalia||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Arnold Clark||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Arnold Clark||Kia Ceed||5||2||Medium cars|
|Arnold Clark||Peugeot 3008||5||3||SUVs|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Arnold Clark||Mercedes Benz Vito||5||3||People Carriers|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Ford Focus||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.