Car Hire in Lisbon
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Lisbon?
The capital and largest city of Portugal, Lisbon is one of the most interesting European destinations. The city is known for its grand imperial history and many landmarks, but the real pleasure of Lisbon is in its colourful neighbourhoods, steep avenues, and joyful atmosphere.
One-way Car Hire in Lisbon
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Lisbon and drop off in another city include:
- From Lisbon to Porto - 796 offers from £ 5.33 per day
- From Lisbon to Faro - 409 offers from £ 5.33 per day
- From Lisbon to Seville - 36 offers from £ 42.09 per day
- From Lisbon to Madrid - 36 offers from £ 61.31 per day
- From Lisbon to Coimbra - 94 offers from £ 17.30 per day
Top ways to enter Lisbon
- Lisbon Airport. The busiest in the country, Lisbon Airport handles about 31 million travellers annually and offers flights to destinations not just in Europe, but also in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. The airport is very close to the city centre and can be reached in only about 15-20 minutes by car.
Top destinations and activities
- Alfama. Known for its waterfront location and trams that travel at angles seemingly defying the laws of physics, Alfama is one of the most interesting neighbourhoods of Lisbon. Characterized by its Moorish architecture, but actually inhabited long before that, the area is home to such gems as Castelo de São Jorge (St. George’s Castle) and Lisbon Cathedral among many others.
- Ajuda Botanical Gardens. Built by the Portuguese royal family not long after the devastating earthquake in 1775, Ajuda is often mentioned among the oldest botanical gardens in Europe. A part of the larger palatial complex, this charming green area is near a number of other famous landmarks such as the Belem Tower.
- Jerónimos Monastery. Even if you’re not a big fan of ecclesiastical architecture, visiting this UNESCO World Heritage site is definitely worth your time. Dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries, this fine example of Portuguese Gothic architecture is now home to the National Archaeology Museum and the Navy Museum of Lisbon.
Traffic and parking
- You can only enter a roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance always have to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is hands-free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- On-street parking is available in the centre of Lisbon. In the red zone, parking costs €1.60/hr ($1.9/hr), with a maximum stay of 2 hours. In the yellow zone, parking costs €1.20/hr ($1.42/hr), with a maximum stay of 4 hours. In the green zone, parking costs €0.80/hr ($0.95/hr), with a maximum stay of 4 hours.
- There are numerous car parks in the city centre where parking costs €15-45 ($18-53) per day. A better option might be heading south of the city centre where car parks like Santa Apolónia, Docas and Docas Ponte charge around €5-6 ($6-7) per day. Look up more information about parking in Portugal on Empark.
- When parking on the street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
Ideas for day trips
- Sintra. An unmistakable presence in every Lisbon travel guide, the historic city of Sintra cannot exactly be called a hidden gem, but that is only because there’s so much to see here. Located some 30 km (18 miles) from the centre of the capital, the area is home to a number of historical palaces, Sintra-Cascais National Park, and Cabo da Roca, the westernmost point of continental Europe.
- Nazaré. A Central Portuguese beach town of some 15,000 inhabitants, Nazaré would be a fairly unassuming destination if not for the fact that it is home to the highest wave ever surfed by man. Ever since the American Garrett McNamara braved the 23.8 m (78 feet) high wave in 2011 (a record that was further improved by the Brazilian Rodrigo Koxa in 2017), Nazaré has attracted thousands of visitors every year – and the Portuguese government even memorialized the monumental effort by releasing a special postmark. Even if you prefer to stay dry, watching the stunning tide in Nazaré, about a 90-minute drive north of Lisbon, is a special experience.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Lisbon is the Fiat 500, followed by the Volkswagen Polo and the Seat Ibiza. The most popular car types are mini, economy, and intermediate.
Car Hire Prices in Lisbon
- Convertibles - starting at £ 78 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 54 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 52 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 37 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 118 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 82 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 26 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 54 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Lisbon is the cheapest in March.
Top 12 Cities near Lisbon
Porto Car Hire starting at £ 3.11 per day278.1 km / 172.8 miles away
Faro Car Hire starting at £ 6.41 per day219.8 km / 136.6 miles away
Madeira Car Hire starting at £ 47.50 per day964.8 km / 599.5 miles away
Funchal Car Hire starting at £ 47.50 per day979.9 km / 608.9 miles away
Albufeira Car Hire starting at £ 16.64 per day202.4 km / 125.7 miles away
Quarteira Car Hire starting at £ 12.60 per day209.3 km / 130.0 miles away
Vilamoura Car Hire starting at £ 26.47 per day208.0 km / 129.2 miles away
Lagos Car Hire starting at £ 26.70 per day189.1 km / 117.5 miles away
Coimbra Car Hire starting at £ 22.57 per day171.1 km / 106.3 miles away
Guimaraes Car Hire starting at £ 67.91 per day306.3 km / 190.3 miles away
Sao Joao da Madeira Car Hire starting at £ 43.39 per day243.0 km / 151.0 miles away
Carvoeiro Car Hire starting at £ 26.70 per day194.8 km / 121.1 miles away
Top 5 Destinations around Lisbon
Lisbon Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.67 per day4.5 km / 2.8 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Hire starting at £ 31.21 per day6.0 km / 3.7 miles away
Faro Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.41 per day217.0 km / 134.8 miles away
Porto Airport Car Hire starting at £ 3.11 per day282.5 km / 175.5 miles away
Madeira Airport (Funchal) Car Hire starting at £ 47.50 per day960.8 km / 597.0 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Lisbon?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Lisbon?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Lisbon?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||14|
|Popular suppliers||BeRent, Klass Wagen, Drive on Holidays, Turisprime, Record-go|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||£ 3 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Cheap rent|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|BeRent||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|BeRent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Seat Ibiza||5||2||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Up||5||1||Small cars|
|CRC Car Rental Company||Renault Captur||5||3||SUVs|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.