Car Rental in George
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in George?
Located on the Indian Ocean in the southern part of South Africa, George is a fascinating place to visit. Known as the gate to the beautiful Garden Route, there’s also plenty to see in and around the city itself like quirky little museums, picturesque beaches, and unique nature. Following the Garden Route is one option after exploring the city, but with a rental car, you can also visit the nearby Cape Town or head into the interior of South Africa.
One-Way Car Rentals in George
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in George and drop off in another city include:
- From George to Cape Town - 87 offers from $19.59 per day
- From George to Johannesburg - 76 offers from $19.59 per day
- From George to Port Elizabeth - 87 offers from $18.81 per day
- From George to Plettenberg Bay - 24 offers from $16.59 per day
Top ways to enter George
- George Airport: Also known as P.W. Botha Airport, it handled more than 800,000 travelers in 2018. As of December 2019, the airport only provides domestic connections, serving flights to and from Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Druban. Located 9 km (5 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in about ten minutes.
- Port Elizabeth Airport: Serving the city of Gqeberha (previously called Port Elizabeth), it is another small international airport in the Eastern Cape province. The airport hosts flights to and from Cape Town and Johannesburg as well as Durban and Bloemfontein. Located 335 km (208 miles) east of George, the airport can be reached in about three hours, with much of the road taking you right along the ocean and some parts of the Garden Route.
- Cape Town Airport: The second-busiest in the country and sixth-busiest in all of Africa, Cape Town Airport handled ten million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by more than 20 different airlines and hosts flights to and from destinations in Africa, the Middle East, East Asia, and Europe. Located 415 km (258 miles) west of George, Cape Town Airport takes about 4 hours and 30 minutes to reach. You can drive most of the Garden Route from George to Cape Town.
- Located on the coast of the Indian Ocean, George has an oceanic climate with mild summers and cool winters. The average high temperature is 25°C (77°F) in February, the warmest month, and 19°C (66°F) in June, the coldest. George is one of the coldest cities in Sub-Saharan Africa outside of highland areas. The city experiences quite a lot of rain with an especial increase every March and April.
- The main spoken language of George is Afrikaans, an Indo-European tongue that’s mutually intelligible with Dutch. Knowledge of English varies but is generally quite high among people working in the service and tourism industries. Native African languages like Xhosa and Tswana are also widely spoken in George and the rest of the Western Cape region.
- Although inhabited for thousands of years by local tribes, a permanent settlement in George was only established in 1776 by the Dutch East India company. The European settlers were attracted to the area thanks to its vast woodlands as they were looking for new sources of timber. The timber industry remains an important part of the local economy and many sawmills are still operating in and near George.
Top destinations and activities
- Outeniqua Transport Museum. The only one of its kind in the region, the Outeniqua Transport Museum specializes in railways - steam locomotives, couches, and private salons dating back to the early 20th century are on display. Many of the steam trains, known collectively as Outeniqua Choo Tjoe, used to travel along the legendary Garden Route railway which connected George and Mossel Bay and was closed in 2009. A number of classic cars are also on display.
- Beaches. Although George is quite cool and windy for an African destination, the coastline surrounding the city is still an amazing place to enjoy. The picturesque Herolds Bay is the closest option, but with a rental car, you can also easily reach Vic Bay (located in the amazingly-named town of Wilderness, about a 20-minute ride east of George), Sparrebosch (about an hour’s drive to the east), Sedgefield (about a 40-minute drive to the east) and many other amazing coastal spots.
- Garden Route Botanical Garden. There’s plenty of amazing fauna to be found in the nature surrounding George, but if you want to find all the unique species in one place and also learn about them without leaving the city then the Botanical Garden is the right place for you. The garden is located only a 15-minute drive from the city center.
- Whale watching. South Africa is one of the best places on the planet for watching whales and other marine mammals; many tours take off from points along the Garden Route and near George. Different animals have different migratory patterns, so the best times to spot them also differ – for example, the acrobatic Southern Right Whales are in the area from June to November, while the best months for watching humpbacks are between May and June or December and January.
- Otter Trail. One of South Africa’s most scenic and famous multi-day hikes brings hikers from all over the world. The 45km-long trail takes about 5 days to complete usually. It goes right along the coast on a section of the Garden Route.
- Post Office Tree. South Africa’s first mailbox is believed to be under a tree in Mossel Bay. It is located in the Bartholomeu Dias Museum Complex, which has free admision.
Traffic and parking
Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120 km/h (74.5 mph) on freeways, 100 km/h (62 mph) on any public road outside of an urban area that is not a freeway, and 60 km/h (37 mph) on any public road within an urban or built-up area.
The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% per 100ml of blood and 0.24% per 1000 ml of breath for experienced drivers and is 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding the allowed limit can lead to large fines, deportation, or imprisonment.
Proof of insurance and the car’s registration needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
When driving, you need to have your driver's license and passport or ID card with you at all times.
There are many toll roads in South Africa. These toll roads are managed by The South African National Roads Agency Limited. As a foreign tourist, you'll have to pay for the tolls in cash (they only accept credit cards issued by South African banks and don't accept debit cards at all).
The exact toll for using the toll roads depends on the type of road. See more information about the latest rates here.
Ideas for day trips
- Knysna. Surrounded by some of the largest forests in South Africa on one side and a beautiful lagoon on the other, Knysna is a popular destination for eco-tourism. There are many hiking, climbing, and trekking tours you can joy. If you wish to learn more about the area’s history, head to the Millwood Museum and Materoli Tea Room where you can learn about the gold mining fever that once gripped the area (and the effect it left on the local nature). Situated some 62 km (38.5 miles) east of George, Knysna takes 50 minutes to reach.
- Tsitsikamma National Park. If you want to get even closer to the beautiful nature of the area without leaving the Garden Route, then this national park is the right place for you. Made up of a number of nature preserves that also include the Tsitsikamma Marine Protected Area, the park is home to the Suspension Bridge and Lookout Trail, the Blue Duiker Trail, and - the most famous and scenic of them all - the Otter Trail. Located about 125 km (77 miles) east of George, the national park can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes. Along the way, try your hand at bungee jumping off the 216m-high Bloukrans Bridge, the highest bridge in Africa.
- Herold Wines. Located at the northern edge of the nearby Witfontein Nature Reserve, the Herold Wine Estate is one of the most popular destinations for a day trip from George. Open daily from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. except for Sundays, this is the perfect place to learn about the region’s rich viticulture, as well as take in the area’s bucolic charms. The drive from George takes about 50 minutes.
- Mossel Bay. A small town with historical importance, Mossel Bay is known as the first place in South Africa that was reached by Europeans – you can learn more at the impressive Da Gama Museum Complex which has even reconstructed the original ship of Bartholomeu Dias. On another note, Mossel Bay is also known as a hub for tandem skydiving, parasailing, and other extreme sports. Located some 50 km (31 miles) southwest of George, Mossel Bay can be reached by car in about 40 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in George is the Volkswagen Polo, closely followed by the Toyota Corolla and the Kia Picanto. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
- Garden Route. Perhaps the most famous coastal area in Africa, the Garden Route has been attracting visitors for decades. Stretching for about 300 km (180 miles) from Witsand in the west to Storms River in the east, the area is home not only to George, but also places like Mossel Bay (a part of which is known as the District of Eden), Outeniqua Pass, and Nature’s Valley. Getting a rental car is one of the best ways to explore the full beauty of the route.
- Port Elizabeth. A large coastal city at the eastern terminus of the Garden Route, Port Elizabeth is one of the diving hubs of Africa. Thanks to their accessibility and rich underwater life, sites like Bell Buoy, the Devil’s Reef, and the Riy Banks attract thousands of divers every year. There are many diving schools and instructors in the area offering dives for those of all levels of experience. Port Elizabeth is also home to a number of very interesting indigenous cultural centers. Located some 320 km (199 miles) from George, the city can be reached in four hours.
- Cape Town. One of the most famous - and most beautiful - cities of South Africa, Cape Town has plenty of attractions to keep a visitor entertained. These include the colorful Bo-Kaap neighborhood, the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, Table Mountain, and the Cape Winelands region. Cape Town is also surrounded by a number of small coastal towns, like Bloubergstrand and Muizenberg, which are awesome surfing and kitesurfing spots. Located 430 km (267 miles) west of George, Cape Town can be reached in five hours.
- Addo Elephant National Park. The third-largest national park in South Africa (and by far the largest in this part of the country), Addo is a famous elephant preserve. More than 600 of the majestic animals live within the park which is also home to species like the cape buffalo, black rhinoceros, lion, and spotted hyena. The Addo Marine Protected area, a part of the park, is inhabited by different species of whale and great white sharks. Located 350 km (217 miles) east of George, the national park can be reached in about four hours.
Car Rental Prices in George
- Large cars - from $32 per day
- Medium cars - from $20 per day
- Vans - from $46 per day
- Premium cars - from $68 per day
- Small cars - from $15 per day
- SUVs - from $53 per day
Get a great rental car in George by applying these simple tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Rent a smaller car — South African roads are in excellent condition. So as as you don’t intend to travel offroad, a compact car will suffice.
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting George is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 62% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 76% cheaper than renting a vehicle in February.
Top 20 Cities near George
61.4 km / 38.2 miles away
Hermanus Car Rentals from $15.72 per day292.4 km / 181.7 miles away
Port Elizabeth Car Rentals from $15.27 per day298.5 km / 185.5 miles away
Stellenbosch Car Rentals from $15.72 per day324.8 km / 201.8 miles away
325.5 km / 202.3 miles away
Cape Town Car Rentals from $15.27 per day348.3 km / 216.4 miles away
East London Car Rentals from $15.27 per day516.3 km / 320.8 miles away
Kimberley Car Rentals from $15.27 per day621.2 km / 386.0 miles away
Mthatha Car Rentals from $15.27 per day648.7 km / 403.1 miles away
Bloemfontein Car Rentals from $15.27 per day660.5 km / 410.4 miles away
709.3 km / 440.7 miles away
Margate Car Rentals from $22.00 per day825.0 km / 512.6 miles away
Pietermaritzburg Car Rentals from $15.27 per day898.8 km / 558.5 miles away
Durban Car Rentals from $14.74 per day959.0 km / 595.9 miles away
Johannesburg Car Rentals from $14.79 per day1040.5 km / 646.5 miles away
Centurion Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1064.6 km / 661.5 miles away
Pretoria Car Rentals from $14.65 per day1077.7 km / 669.7 miles away
Richards Bay Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1091.4 km / 678.2 miles away
Nelspruit Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1275.5 km / 792.6 miles away
Polokwane Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1322.3 km / 821.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near George
George Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day
Port Elizabeth Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day298.5 km / 185.5 miles away
301.0 km / 187.0 miles away
Cape Town Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day348.3 km / 216.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $15.27 per day365.1 km / 226.9 miles away
365.2 km / 226.9 miles away
Port Elizabeth Rhodes University - Grahamstown Car Rentals from $22.75 per day390.5 km / 242.6 miles away
East London Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day516.3 km / 320.8 miles away
Kimberley Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day621.2 km / 386.0 miles away
Bloemfontein Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day660.5 km / 410.4 miles away
709.3 km / 440.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $15.27 per day937.3 km / 582.4 miles away
King Shaka International Airport Car Rentals from $14.74 per day959.0 km / 595.9 miles away
Johannesburg Airport Car Rentals from $21.48 per day1040.5 km / 646.5 miles away
Tambo International Airport Car Rentals from $14.79 per day1040.5 km / 646.5 miles away
Johannesburg Lanseria Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1043.6 km / 648.5 miles away
Pretoria Hatfield Car Rentals from $14.65 per day1077.7 km / 669.7 miles away
Wonderboom Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1085.9 km / 674.7 miles away
Richards Bay Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1091.4 km / 678.2 miles away
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport Car Rentals from $15.27 per day1275.5 km / 792.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in George?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in George?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in George?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||First Car Rental, Firefly, Keddy, Hertz, SIXT|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$15 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|First Car Rental||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|First Car Rental||Nissan Almera||5||2||Medium cars|
|Firefly||Toyota Agya||5||1||Small cars|
|First Car Rental||Toyota Quest||4||2||Large cars|
|Keddy||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Firefly||Toyota Corolla Quest||4||2||Medium cars|
|Hertz||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|
|First Car Rental||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Medium cars|
|First Car Rental||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Kombi T6 TDI DSG (8 seater)||4||2||Vans|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.