Car Rental in George
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in George?
Located on the Indian Ocean in the southern part of South Africa, George is a fascinating place to visit. Known as the gate to the beautiful Garden Route, there’s also plenty to see in and around the city itself like quirky little museums, picturesque beaches, and unique nature. Following the Garden Route is one option after exploring the city, but with a rental car, you can also visit the nearby Cape Town or head into the interior of South Africa.
One-Way Car Rentals in George
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in George and drop off in another city include:
- From George to Cape Town - 87 offers from US$ 21.38 per day
- From George to Johannesburg - 76 offers from US$ 21.38 per day
- From George to Port Elizabeth - 87 offers from US$ 20.53 per day
- From George to Plettenberg Bay - 24 offers from US$ 18.11 per day
Top ways to enter George
- George Airport: Also known as P.W. Botha Airport, it handled more than 800,000 travelers in 2018. As of December 2019, the airport only provides domestic connections, serving flights to and from Cape Town and Johannesburg. Located 9 km (5 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in about ten minutes.
- Port Elizabeth Airport: Serving the city of the same name, it is another small international airport in the Eastern Cape province. The airport hosts flights to and from Cape Town and Johannesburg as well as Durban and Bloemfontein. Located 335 km (208 miles) east of George, the airport can be reached in about three hours, with much of the road taking you right along the ocean.
- Cape Town Airport: The second-busiest in the country and sixth-busiest in all of Africa, Cape Town Airport handled ten million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by more than 20 different airlines and hosts flights to and from destinations in Africa, the Middle East, East Asia, and Europe. Located 415 km (258 miles) west of George, Cape Town Airport takes about 4 hours and 30 minutes to reach.
Useful city facts
- Located on the coast of the Indian Ocean, George has an oceanic climate with mild summers and cool winters. The average high temperature is 25°C (77°F) in February, the warmest month, and 19°C (66°F) in June, the coldest. George is one of the coldest cities in Sub-Saharan Africa outside of highland areas. The city experiences quite a lot of rain with an especial increase every March and April.
- The main spoken language of George is Afrikaans, an Indo-European tongue that’s mutually intelligible with Dutch. Knowledge of English varies but is generally quite high among people working in the service and tourism industries. Native African languages like Xhosa and Tswana are also widely spoken in George and the rest of the Western Cape region.
- Although inhabited for thousands of years by local tribes, a permanent settlement in George was only established in 1776 by the Dutch East Indies company. The European settlers were attracted to the area thanks to its vast woodlands as they were looking for new sources of timber. The timber industry remains an important part of the local economy and many sawmills are still operating in and near George.
Top destinations and activities
- Outeniqua Transport Museum. The only one of its kind in the region, the Outeniqua Transport Museum specializes in railways - steam locomotives, couches, and private salons dating back to the early 20th century are on display. Many of the steam trains, known collectively as Outeniqua Choo Tjoe, used to travel along the legendary Garden Route railway which connected George and the city of Knysna and was closed in 2009. A number of classic cars are also on display.
- Beaches. Although George is quite cool and windy for an African destination, the coastline surrounding the city is still an amazing place to enjoy. The picturesque Herolds Bay is the closest option, but with a rental car, you can also easily reach Vic Bay (located in the amazingly-named town of Wilderness, about a 20-minute ride east of George), Sparrebosch (about an hour’s drive to the east), and many other amazing coastal spots.
- Garden Route Botanical Garden. There’s plenty of amazing fauna to be found in the nature surrounding George, but if you want to find all the unique species in one place and also learn about them without leaving the city then the Botanical Garden is the right place for you. The garden is located only a 15-minute drive from the city center.
Traffic and parking tips
Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120 km/h (74.5 mph) on freeways, 100 km/h (62 mph) on any public road outside of an urban area that is not a freeway, and 60 km/h (37 mph) on any public road within an urban or built-up area.
The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% per 100ml of blood and 0.24% per 1000 ml of breath for experienced drivers and is 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding the allowed limit can lead to large fines, deportation, or imprisonment.
Proof of insurance and the car’s registration needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
There are many toll roads in South Africa. However, unlike in most of the world, no payments are made on the highway in cash or by credit card. Instead, a vehicle is identified either by an electronic tag that is on the vehicle or by the vehicle’s license plate number.
Many rental cars are equipped with an e-tag that will be used for making toll payments. Some rental car providers will charge an additional fee for this service. Ask your car rental provider about it beforehand.
The exact toll for using the toll roads depends on the type of road. See more information about the latest rates here.
If your rental car is not equipped with an e-tag, the bill for using the toll roads will be sent to your car rental provider. Due to delays in the South African toll road system, you could be billed and charged after the end of your rental period.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Garden Route. Perhaps the most famous coastal area in Africa, the Garden Route has been attracting visitors for decades. Stretching for about 300 km (180 miles) from Witsand in the west to Storms River in the east, the area is home not only to George, but also places like Mossel Bay (a part of which is known as the District of Eden), Outeniqua Pass, and Nature’s Valley. Getting a rental car is one of the best ways to explore the full beauty of the route.
- Knysna. Surrounded by some of the largest forests in South Africa on one side and a beautiful lagoon on the other, Knysna is a popular destination for eco-tourism. There are many hiking, climbing, and trekking tours you can joy. If you wish to learn more about the area’s history, head to the Millwood Museum and Materoli Tea Room where you can learn about the gold mining fever that once gripped the area (and the effect it left on the local nature). Situated some 62 km (38.5 miles) east of George, Knysna takes 50 minutes to reach.
- Tsitsikamma National Park. If you want to get even closer to the beautiful nature of the area without leaving the Garden Route, then this national park is the right place for you. Made up of a number of nature preserves that also include the Tsitsikamma Marine Protected Area, the park is home to the Suspension Bridge and Lookout Trail, the Blue Duiker Trail, and - the most famous and scenic of them all - the Otter Trail. Located about 125 km (77 miles) east of George, the national park can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in George is the Volkswagen Polo, closely followed by the Toyota Corolla and the Kia Picanto. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
- Port Elizabeth. A large coastal city at the eastern terminus of the Garden Route, Port Elizabeth is one of the diving hubs of Africa. Thanks to their accessibility and rich underwater life, sites like Bell Buoy, the Devil’s Reef, and the Riy Banks attract thousands of divers every year. There are many diving schools and instructors in the area offering dives for those of all levels of experience. Port Elizabeth is also home to a number of very interesting indigenous cultural centers. Located some 320 km (199 miles) from George, the city can be reached in four hours.
- Cape Town. One of the most famous - and most beautiful - cities of South Africa, Cape Town has plenty of attractions to keep a visitor entertained. These include the colorful Bo-Kaap neighborhood, the Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, Table Mountain, and the Cape Winelands region. Cape Town is also surrounded by a number of small coastal towns, like Bloubergstrand and Muizenberg, which are awesome surfing and kitesurfing spots. Located 430 km (267 miles) west of George, Cape Town can be reached in five hours.
- Addo Elephant National Park. The third-largest national park in South Africa (and by far the largest in this part of the country), Addo is a famous elephant preserve. More than 600 of the majestic animals live within the park which is also home to species like the cape buffalo, black rhinoceros, lion, and spotted hyena. The Addo Marine Protected area, a part of the park, is inhabited by different species of whale and great white sharks. Located 350 km (217 miles) east of George, the national park can be reached in about four hours.
Car Rental Prices in George
- Large cars - from $20 per day
- Medium cars - from $19 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $51 per day
- Premium cars - from $41 per day
- Small cars - from $14 per day
- SUVs - from $45 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Get a great rental car in George by applying these simple tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting George is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 62% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 76% cheaper than renting a vehicle in February.
Top 11 Cities near George
Cape Town Car Rentals from $9.40 per day365.1 km / 226.9 miles away
Durban Car Rentals from $10.11 per day959.0 km / 595.9 miles away
Port Elizabeth Car Rentals from $8.79 per day390.5 km / 242.6 miles away
East London Car Rentals from $10.53 per day516.3 km / 320.8 miles away
Pietermaritzburg Car Rentals from $9.61 per day898.8 km / 558.5 miles away
Bloemfontein Car Rentals from $9.61 per day660.5 km / 410.4 miles away
Kimberley Car Rentals from $9.61 per day621.2 km / 386.0 miles away
Upington Car Rentals from $9.61 per day632.4 km / 393.0 miles away
Stellenbosch Car Rentals from $11.16 per day324.8 km / 201.8 miles away
Hermanus Car Rentals from $11.16 per day292.4 km / 181.7 miles away
Sishen Car Rentals from $9.39 per day709.3 km / 440.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near George
George Airport Car Rentals from $10.04 per day9.9 km / 6.1 miles away
Port Elizabeth Airport Car Rentals from $10.04 per day290.1 km / 180.3 miles away
Cape Town Airport Car Rentals from $9.40 per day356.9 km / 221.7 miles away
Cape Town Milnerton Car Rentals from $16.10 per day363.7 km / 226.0 miles away
Port Elizabeth Rhodes University - Grahamstown Car Rentals from $8.79 per day381.2 km / 236.9 miles away
East London Fort Hare University Car Rentals from $9.21 per day426.9 km / 265.3 miles away
East London Airport Car Rentals from $10.53 per day507.0 km / 315.0 miles away
Kimberley Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day613.5 km / 381.2 miles away
Upington Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day629.1 km / 390.9 miles away
Bloemfontein Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day651.6 km / 404.9 miles away
Sishen Airport Car Rentals from $9.39 per day703.7 km / 437.3 miles away
Pietermaritzburg Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day889.0 km / 552.4 miles away
King Shaka International Airport Car Rentals from $10.11 per day949.1 km / 589.8 miles away
Tambo International Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day1031.6 km / 641.0 miles away
Johannesburg Lanseria Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day1034.9 km / 643.1 miles away
Pretoria Hatfield Car Rentals from $11.16 per day1068.9 km / 664.2 miles away
Wonderboom Airport Car Rentals from $12.21 per day1077.1 km / 669.3 miles away
Richards Bay Airport Car Rentals from $9.61 per day1081.6 km / 672.1 miles away
Nelspruit Airport Car Rentals from $12.94 per day1243.7 km / 772.8 miles away
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport Car Rentals from $10.11 per day1266.0 km / 786.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in George?
What’s the usual rental length in George?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in George?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Firefly||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Bidvest||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Firefly||Datsun Go||5||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Medium cars|
|Budget||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Chevrolet Spark||5||Small cars|
|Firefly||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||BMW 3 series||4||3||Premium cars|
|Bidvest||Ford Everest||5||3||Premium cars|