Car Rental South Africa
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in South Africa?
South Africa offers everything from large cities like Cape Town and Johannesburg to nature areas and extensive coastline. The large distances can sometimes feel overwhelming, but the road network is generally in good shape and even if you choose to stick to just one region of the country, you’ll most likely end up being surprised by the incredible diversity that you’ll find.
Top ways to enter South Africa
- Cape Town Airport: The fifth-busiest in Africa, this airport serves not only Cape Town, but also the wider Western Cape Region.
- Johannesburg Tambo Airport: South Africa’s busiest airport serves nearly 30 million passengers annually.
- Durban King Shaka Airport: Named after a leader of the Zulu nation, Durban serves not only domestic routes, but also flights to and from many other African countries like Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, and Ghana, as well as destinations in Europe and the Middle East.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it and if you have the right visa and other documentation, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to South Africa. Some large international airports near South Africa are Gaborone Airport in Botswana, Maputo Airport in Mozambique, and Harare Airport in Zimbabwe.
Top cities and places to visit
- Cape Town: One of the most popular city destinations in Africa, Cape Town is home to the Cape of Good Home, Table Mountain, a large wine region, and an extensive sea coast.
- Johannesburg: Huge and hugely impressive, Johannesburg is home to interesting museums and great cuisine from all over Africa. Many great national parks are also nearby.
- Durban: The city on the Indian Ocean has many natural landmarks, opportunities for water sports, and the famous Crocodile Creek.
- Eastern Cape: This regions is best known for having one half of the beautiful Garden Route (that starts in Western Cape), as well as its surfing towns and villages, but the Addo Elephant National Park and the Tsitsikamma National Park shouldn’t be overlooked, either.
- Limpopo: Something of an unknown quantity up to this day, the South African region bordering Mozambique and Zimbabwe is best known for the beautiful Kruger National Park.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in South Africa are the VW Polo. The Toyota Corolla and the Chevrolet Spark are also popular choices.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car types in South Africa are economy, mini, and compact.
Top driving routes
- Cape Town - Port Elizabeth (282 km / 175 mi) It’s a long road between the capitals of Western Cape and Eastern Cape provinces, but many travelers still choose to do it because of the many nature reserves, coastal areas, and the beautiful Garden Route that are on the way.
- Johannesburg - Durban (568 km / 353 mi) The two great cities of Eastern South Africa are about six hours apart. Many travelers also choose to visit Lesotho that is on the way, but if you’d like to do the same, first make sure that your rental car provider permits it as you’d be entering another country.
- Johannesburg - Nelspruit (341 km / 212 mi) Cozy Mbombela, still often referred to by its former name, Nelspruit, is about four hours drive east of Johannesburg.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $48 per day
- Large cars - from $41 per day
- Medium cars - from $22 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $63 per day
- Premium cars - from $61 per day
- Small cars - from $19 per day
- SUVs - from $55 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in South Africa:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting South Africa is the cheapest in May when renting a car is about 29% cheaper than the yearly average and about 56% cheaper than renting a car in November.
Top 17 Most Popular Cities in South Africa
Car Rental in Cape Town from $13.65 per day
Car Rental in Johannesburg from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Durban from $11.81 per day
Car Rental in Port Elizabeth from $13.01 per day
Car Rental in George from $13.01 per day
Car Rental in Nelspruit from $17.50 per day
Car Rental in Pretoria from $12.71 per day
Car Rental in East London from $13.01 per day
Car Rental in Bloemfontein from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Pietermaritzburg from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Upington from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Polokwane from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Kimberley from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Richards Bay from $11.34 per day
Car Rental in Stellenbosch from $13.65 per day
Car Rental in Hermanus from $13.65 per day
Car Rental in Sishen from $17.97 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in South Africa
Car Rental at Cape Town Airport from $13.01 per day
Car Rental at Johannesburg, Tambo International Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Durban, King Shaka International Airport from $11.81 per day
Car Rental at Johannesburg Lanseria Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Port Elizabeth Airport from $13.01 per day
Car Rental at George Airport from $13.01 per day
Car Rental at Pretoria, Wonderboom Airport from $16.46 per day
Car Rental at East London Airport from $13.01 per day
Car Rental at Cape Town, Downtown from $13.65 per day
Car Rental at Nelspruit, Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Nelspruit Airport from $17.50 per day
Car Rental at Bloemfontein Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Pietermaritzburg Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Upington Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Polokwane Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Kimberley Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Richards Bay Airport from $11.34 per day
Car Rental at Johannesburg, Downtown from $12.71 per day
Car Rental at Pretoria Hatfield from $12.71 per day
Car Rental at Stellenbosch, Downtown from $13.65 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in South Africa?
What’s the average rental length in South Africa?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in South Africa?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|Hertz||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Hertz||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Medium cars|
|Hertz||Chevrolet Spark||5||Small cars|
|Hertz||Toyota RAV 4||5||2||SUVs|
|Hertz||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Medium cars|
|Hertz||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Bidvest||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Bidvest||Toyota Avanza||5||1||People Carriers / Vans|
|Hertz||Toyota Quantum||5||4||People Carriers / Vans|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 5 Suppliers for South Africa in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email