Car Rental in Durban
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Durban?
Durban is a great place to rent a car. Boasting a varied history and inhabited by different groups of people, it is considered by many to be one of the most interesting large cities of Africa. With a rental car, you can also easily travel to nearby nature reserves and beaches on the Indian Ocean.
One-Way Car Rentals in Durban
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Durban and drop off in another city include:
- From Durban to Johannesburg - 117 offers from US$ 23.16 per day
- From Durban to Cape Town - 199 offers from US$ 24.43 per day
- From Durban to Margate - 14 offers from US$ 20.17 per day
- From Durban to Richards Bay - 46 offers from US$ 20.74 per day
- From Durban to Hoedspruit - 14 offers from US$ 24.43 per day
Top ways to enter Durban
- Durban King Shaka Airport: Open since the 2010 Fifa World Cup and nowadays serving more than 5 million passengers every year, this is one of the busiest international airports in South Africa. Named after a Zulu leader, the airport is located about 35km (22 miles) north of Durban’s city center.
- Pietermaritzburg Airport: Located in the city of the same name, Pietermaritzburg Airport is a small airport that only has domestic flights. The airport is about 78km (48 miles) northwest of Durban, a distance that can be driven in about one hour.
- Richards Bay Airport: Another small domestic airport, Richards Bay Airport is located in the northwestern corner of South Africa. The distance between here and Durban is 177km (110 miles) and takes about 2 hours of driving along the coast of the Indian Ocean.
- Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport: With 21 million travelers every year and plenty of flights to other African countries, as well as to all the other parts of the world, O.R. Tambo Airport is the busiest in Africa. Flying here is often the best way to reach South Africa. The airport is about a six-hour drive northwest of Durban.
Useful city facts
- Durban has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild, short winters. The average temperature is 24°C (75°F) in February, the hottest month, and 16.5°C (61.7°F) in June and July when it’s winter in the Southern hemisphere. Summers are significantly more humid than winters, with June and July especially dry.
- Durban is an ethnically and culturally diverse city, having one of the largest Indian diasporas in Africa. Around every fourth inhabitant of Durban is of Indian or other Asian descent. This influence can be observed in the city’s many cultural centers, Hindu and Buddhist places of worship, and local cuisine.
Top destinations and activities
- The Golden Mile. A collective nickname for a number of beaches that stretch along the coast near Downtown Durban, the Golden Mile is one of the city’s symbols. It is characterized by a sandy shoreline and beautiful promenades, as well as beachside restaurants, inland pools, and great opportunities for surfing and other watersports.
- Durban Botanic Gardens. The oldest botanical gardens in Africa, this green area has many native tropical plants, as well as unique flora from the rest of the continent and the world. If visiting during September, don’t miss out on the Indigenous Plant Fair that takes place here every year. Even if you visit at some other time, the gardens hold frequent public events, gatherings, and concerts.
- uShaka Marine World. A large theme park with a huge aquarium, uShaka is home to many unique water creatures such as short-rail stingrays, different types of sharks, Nile crocodiles, Burmese pythons, and bearded lizards. It is possible to snorkel or scuba dive, as well as to go on river rides or simply enjoy the uShaka beach.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120km/h (74.5mph) on freeways, 100km/h (62mph) on any public road outside of an urban area that is not a freeway, and 60km/h (37mph) on any public road within an urban or built-up area.
- Plan your route around the city in advance, consulting the latest information online and asking your hotel, local tourism authority, and trustworthy locals for advice. While most parts of Durban are safe, certain areas are not, and you would not want to drive or get stranded in them.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% per 100ml of blood and 0.24% per 1000 ml of breath for experienced drivers and is 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding the allowed limit can lead to large fines, deportation, or imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s registration needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you are the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
There are many toll roads in South Africa. Unlike in most of the world, no payments are made on the highway, neither in cash nor by credit card. Instead, a vehicle is identified either by an electronic tag that is on the vehicle or by the vehicle’s license plate number.
Many rental cars are equipped with an e-tag that will be used for making toll payments. Some rental car providers will charge an additional fee for this service. Ask your car rental provider about it beforehand.
The exact fee for using the toll roads depends on the type of road. See more information about the latest toll road fees on this website.
If your rental car is not equipped with an e-tag, the bill for using the toll roads will be sent to your car rental provider. Due to delays in the South African toll road system, you could be billed and charged after the end of your rental period.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Crocodile Creek. Located on the Tongaat River, Crocodile Creek is a unique sanctuary that has more than 7000 crocodiles, caimans, alligators, and other types of snakes and reptiles. Many of these magnificent beasts can be closely observed from the tree-top walkways. Crocodile Creek is less than 1 hour’s drive north of Durban.
- Umhlanga Lagoon Nature reserve. A tranquil and picturesque scenic area, the nature reserve consists of a lagoon and a forest. Within picnic spots and hiking trails, it is the perfect place to spend the day outdoors. Although Umhlanga doesn’t have any large animals like some other nearby nature reserves, you can still spot some interesting birds and small mammals. The reserve is just a 20-minute drive north of Durban.
- Pietermaritzburg. A quiet and picturesque city, Pietermaritzburg offers a nice escape from the more upbeat and crowded Durban. The city has some interesting architecture, as well as a number of museums, art galleries, and cultural centers. A bit further afield in the hills above the city is the Queen Elizabeth Park where you’ll find zebras, bucks, and other animals. About 78km (48 miles) northwest of Durban, Pietermaritzburg can be reached by car in an hour.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Durban is the Kia Picanto, followed by the Chevrolet Spark and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are the mini, economy, and intermediate.
- Johannesburg. Often said to contain all of Africa inside its many neighborhoods, this large metropolis is a destination like no other. Although some find it intimidating at first, with some prior preparation of where to go or with the assistance of a local friend, you’ll soon start to see Johannesburg’s more charming and hospitable site. The city is about 566km (351 miles) northwest of Durban.
- Lesotho. Surrounded by South Africa on all sides, the mountainous Kingdom in the Sky remains one of the most mysterious destinations on the continent. Those who dare to go there will be amazed by the impressive highlands, ancient rock art, and the extreme generosity of locals. Lesotho is not an easy place to get to, so before going, check to see the entry requirements. Also, if coming from Durban, you’ll have to cross an international border, so first, ask your rental car provider if they permit it. Alternatively, you can enter by plane and pick up another rental car in Maseru, Lesotho’s capital. The nearest border crossing is in Qachas Nek that is about a five hours drive southwest of Durban. On your way, you can visit the Maloti-Drakensberg Park and the Mkhomazi Wilderness Area that are still on the South African side.
- Mozambique. Unique among its neighbors, Portuguese-speaking Mozambique is another fascinating country near South Africa. With amazing surfing and diving opportunities on its coast and impressive mountain chains and lush jungle inland, it has the potential to be one of the world’s top destinations for adventure tourism. Still raw and with its fair share of troubles, Mozambique is not for everyone, but most of those who go there will be richly rewarded. Maputo, Mozambique’s capital city, is about a 7-hour drive north of Durban. Keep in mind that you’ll have to cross a international border, so first make sure your rental car provider permits it. Alternatively, you can make the trip by plane or other public transportation and pick up another rental car in Mozambique. Also, as Mozambique's immigration requirements are quite different than that of its neighbors, check in advance to see if a visa is required for your nationality and if it can be obtained at the border or must be obtained in advance.
Car Rental Prices in Durban
- Large cars - from $39 per day
- Medium cars - from $29 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $65 per day
- Premium cars - from $67 per day
- Small cars - from $23 per day
- SUVs - from $59 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these simple tricks to get a good car rental deal in Durban:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Durban is the cheapest in May when renting a car is about 41% cheaper than the yearly average and an entire 67% cheaper than renting a car in Durban in November when it’s springtime in the Southern hemisphere.
Top 13 Cities near Durban
Johannesburg Car Rentals from $18.63 per day504.7 km / 313.6 miles away
Nelspruit Car Rentals from $20.24 per day484.0 km / 300.8 miles away
Port Elizabeth Car Rentals from $8.96 per day575.2 km / 357.4 miles away
George Car Rentals from $10.62 per day937.3 km / 582.4 miles away
Pretoria Car Rentals from $13.47 per day542.3 km / 336.9 miles away
Bloemfontein Car Rentals from $10.62 per day465.4 km / 289.2 miles away
East London Car Rentals from $9.39 per day513.7 km / 319.2 miles away
Pietermaritzburg Car Rentals from $14.45 per day64.8 km / 40.3 miles away
Polokwane Car Rentals from $10.62 per day685.9 km / 426.2 miles away
Richards Bay Car Rentals from $14.45 per day161.0 km / 100.0 miles away
Upington Car Rentals from $14.45 per day962.1 km / 597.8 miles away
Kimberley Car Rentals from $10.62 per day618.2 km / 384.1 miles away
Sishen Car Rentals from $9.57 per day819.9 km / 509.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Durban
King Shaka International Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day28.3 km / 17.6 miles away
Pietermaritzburg Airport Car Rentals from $14.45 per day64.8 km / 40.3 miles away
Richards Bay Airport Car Rentals from $14.45 per day161.0 km / 100.0 miles away
Bloemfontein Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day465.4 km / 289.2 miles away
East London Airport Car Rentals from $14.45 per day466.3 km / 289.8 miles away
Nelspruit Airport Car Rentals from $20.24 per day484.0 km / 300.8 miles away
O.R. Tambo International Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day495.5 km / 307.9 miles away
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day497.0 km / 308.8 miles away
East London Fort Hare University Car Rentals from $9.39 per day513.7 km / 319.2 miles away
Johannesburg Lanseria Airport Car Rentals from $14.45 per day531.3 km / 330.1 miles away
Pretoria Hatfield Car Rentals from $18.31 per day533.0 km / 331.2 miles away
Wonderboom Airport Car Rentals from $13.47 per day542.3 km / 336.9 miles away
Port Elizabeth Rhodes University - Grahamstown Car Rentals from $8.96 per day575.2 km / 357.4 miles away
Kimberley Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day618.2 km / 384.1 miles away
Polokwane Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day685.9 km / 426.2 miles away
Port Elizabeth Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day686.7 km / 426.7 miles away
Sishen Airport Car Rentals from $9.57 per day819.9 km / 509.5 miles away
George Airport Car Rentals from $10.62 per day937.3 km / 582.4 miles away
Upington Airport Car Rentals from $14.45 per day962.1 km / 597.8 miles away
Paarl Val De Vie Car Rentals from $18.63 per day1220.4 km / 758.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Durban?
What’s the usual rental length in Durban?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Durban?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Firefly||Toyota Starlet||5||1||Small cars|
|Firefly||Toyota Agya||5||1||Small cars|
|Bidvest||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Toyota Starlet||5||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Toyota Corolla Quest||4||2||Medium cars|
|Firefly||Toyota Corolla Quest||4||2||Medium cars|
|Firefly||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Firefly||Toyota Corolla Quest||4||2||Medium cars|
|Hertz||Toyota Agya||5||1||Small cars|
|Bidvest||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|