Car Hire in South Africa
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in South Africa?
From famous cities like Cape Town and Johannesburg to nature areas and an extensive coastline, South Africa really seems to have everything. The large distances can sometimes feel overwhelming, but the road network is generally in good shape and even if you choose to stick to just one region of the country, you’ll most likely end up being surprised by the incredible diversity that you’ll find.
If you want to know more about hiring a car in South Africa, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Hire in South Africa
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in South Africa and drop off in another country:
- From South Africa to Namibia - 92 offers from £ 33.55 per day
- From South Africa to Lesotho - 10 offers from £ 20.13 per day
- From South Africa to Botswana - 35 offers from £ 23.41 per day
- From South Africa to Swaziland - 10 offers from £ 20.13 per day
Top ways to enter South Africa
- Cape Town Airport: The fifth-busiest in Africa, this airport serves not only Cape Town, but also the wider Western Cape Region.
- Johannesburg Tambo Airport: South Africa’s busiest airport serves nearly 30 million passengers annually.
- Durban King Shaka Airport: Named after a leader of the Zulu nation, Durban serves not only domestic routes, but also flights to and from many other African countries like Namibia, Zambia, Mozambique, and Ghana, as well as destinations in Europe and the Middle East.
- By land: If your car hire company permits it and if you have the right visa and other documentation, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to South Africa. Some large international airports near South Africa are Gaborone Airport in Botswana and Maputo Airport in Mozambique.
Top cities and places to visit
- Cape Town: One of the most popular city destinations in Africa, Cape Town is home to the Cape of Good Home, Table Mountain, a large wine region, and an extensive sea coast.
- Johannesburg: Huge and hugely impressive, Johannesburg is home to interesting museums and great cuisine from all over Africa. Many great national parks are also nearby.
- Durban: The city on the Indian Ocean has many natural landmarks, opportunities for water sports, and the famous Crocodile Creek.
- Eastern Cape: This regions is best known for having one half of the beautiful Garden Route (that starts in Western Cape), as well as its surfing towns and villages, but the Addo Elephant National Park and the Tsitsikamma National Park shouldn’t be overlooked, either.
- Limpopo: Something of an unknown quantity up to this day, the South African region bordering Mozambique and Zimbabwe is best known for the beautiful Kruger National Park.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in South Africa are the VW Polo. The Toyota Corolla and the Chevrolet Spark are also popular choices.
Most popular types of hire car
The most popular car types in South Africa are economy, mini, and compact.
Top driving routes
- Cape Town - Port Elizabeth (282 km / 175 mi) It’s a long road between the capitals of Western Cape and Eastern Cape provinces, but many travelers still choose to do it because of the many nature reserves, coastal areas, and the beautiful Garden Route that are on the way.
- Johannesburg - Durban (568 km / 353 mi) The two great cities of Eastern South Africa are about six hours apart. Many travelers also choose to visit Lesotho that is on the way, but if you’d like to do the same, first make sure that your rental car provider permits it as you’d be entering another country.
- Johannesburg - Nelspruit (341 km / 212 mi) Cozy Mbombela, still often referred to by its former name, Nelspruit, is about four hours drive east of Johannesburg.
Car Hire Prices
- Station wagons - starting at £ 38 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 50 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 28 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 68 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 73 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 23 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 79 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in South Africa:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting South Africa is the cheapest in May when hiring a car is about 29% cheaper than the yearly average and about 56% cheaper than hiring a car in November.
Top 11 Most Popular Cities in South Africa
Car Hire in Cape Town starting at £ 18.09 per day
Car Hire in Johannesburg starting at £ 24.03 per day
Car Hire in Durban starting at £ 18.09 per day
Car Hire in Port Elizabeth starting at £ 18.09 per day
Car Hire in Pretoria starting at £ 17.82 per day
Car Hire in East London starting at £ 17.04 per day
Car Hire in George starting at £ 17.95 per day
Car Hire in Nelspruit starting at £ 17.82 per day
Car Hire in Upington starting at £ 16.92 per day
Car Hire in Kimberley starting at £ 16.92 per day
Car Hire in Vryburg starting at £ 54.91 per day
Top 8 Most Popular Destinations in South Africa
Car Hire at Cape Town Airport starting at £ 17.53 per day
Car Hire at O.R. Tambo International Airport starting at £ 11.63 per day
Car Hire at Johannesburg Airport starting at £ 24.03 per day
Car Hire at King Shaka International Airport starting at £ 18.09 per day
Car Hire at Port Elizabeth Airport starting at £ 18.09 per day
Car Hire at Pretoria Hatfield starting at £ 18.09 per day
Car Hire at George Airport starting at £ 17.95 per day
Car Hire at East London Airport starting at £ 17.04 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in South Africa?
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in South Africa?
What time of year is most favoured for hiring a car in South Africa?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||114|
|Popular suppliers||First Car Rental, BLUU, Thrifty, Keddy, Firefly|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 12 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|First Car Rental||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|First Car Rental||Nissan Almera||5||2||Medium cars|
|First Car Rental||Honda Amaze||5||1||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Hyundai Grand i10||5||1||Small cars|
|First Car Rental||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|First Car Rental||Toyota Quest||4||2||Large cars|
|First Car Rental||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Firefly||Toyota Agya||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.