Car Rental in Portugal
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Portugal?
Portugal is a great place to explore by car. From cities like Lisbon and Porto to beaches of Algarve, historic attractions like Sintra, and surfing meccas like Peniche and Nazaré, there are countless places to visit and explore, and having your own ride will allow you to go see them all during the same trip.
This article is about the mainland Portugal and the Madeira island. For information about the Autonomous Region of Azores Islands, see the article of Portugal-Azores.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Portugal, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Rentals in Portugal
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Portugal and drop off in another country:
- From Portugal to Spain - 336 offers from ₪ 171.24 per day
- From Portugal to Germany - 48 offers from ₪ 530.89 per day
- From Portugal to Italy - 24 offers from ₪ 532.59 per day
- From Portugal to France - 24 offers from ₪ 532.59 per day
Top ways to enter Portugal
- Lisbon Airport: Portugal’s largest airport serves flights to and from nearly all European countries, as well as destinations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
- Porto Airport: Large, modern, and well-connected, Porto Airport is popular with low-cost carriers like easyJet and Ryanair.
- Faro Airport: Well-connected to the rest of Europe and especially active during summers, Faro Airport serves the southern region of Algarve.
- Madeira Funchal Airport: Located on Madeira’s western coast, Funchal Airport connects the island not only to the mainland Portugal, but also to many destinations in Europe, and is served by more than 40 different airlines.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Portugal. Some large international airports near Portugal are Malaga Airport, Seville Airport, and Madrid Airport in Spain.
Top cities and places to visit
- Lisbon: Portugal’s capital is often mentioned as one of the most interesting cities in Europe, and that’s for a good reason - its culture, food, and nightlife won’t let anyone leave disappointed.
- Porto and the North: Different in looks and atmosphere from its large southern rival, Lisbon, Porto is just as fascinating. A metropolis of arts and architecture, it is the capital of Northern Portugal, a region worth exploring in its own right.
- Algarve: Portugal’s southernmost region is famous for its beaches, as well as charming little towns like Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres on the Atlantic Coast. Traveling the roads less traveled that lead inland and higher up into the mountains to towns like Monchique can be just as rewarding.
- Sintra: Just a scenic 30 minutes drive away from Lisbon, the whole town of Sintra and its surrounding nature have been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The main attractions include Sintra National Palace and the Moorish Castle, as well as other monuments of architecture.
- Aveiro: A city dating back to pre-Roman times, Aveiro is known for its canals (and like Venice, gondolas traveling through them), art noveau architecture, and stunning cathedrals.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Portugal is the VW Polo, but travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot.
Driver license requirements
- Portugal recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses that are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting for a shorter period than six months.
- If you’re in Portugal for longer than six months or are living there permanently, the law requires you to obtain a Portuguese driver’s license
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- Even if you have an IDP, you must also carry your original driver’s license as you might be required to present both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Portugal has a land border with only one other country, Spain. Like Portugal, Spain is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area, meaning that the entry requirements for Spain are the same as for Portugal.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals on our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Portugal is an Economy, followed by Compact and Mini.
Top driving routes
- Alentejo. Located between two of Portugal’s main tourist draws, the capital and Algarve, the agricultural region of Alentejo is a lovely place to visit. Known for its bucolic landscapes, old wineries, and wild beaches, this is the right place to enjoy a less crowded, more slow-paced Portugal.
- Peneda-Gerês National Park. Located in the far northern corner of Portugal, Gerês, as it is often called by locals, is the largest protected nature area in the country. There’s plenty of historic attractions inside the park, not least bridges built by the Romans and megalithic tombs far predating even that ancient civilization, but the main attraction of this place is the natural beauty. The forests, mountains, and river valleys are inhabited by fauna such as Garrano wild horses, golden eagles, and emerald lizards. A trip from Porto takes only about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Spain. Located just over the border is one of Europe’s largest and most interesting countries. A mecca of cuisine, culture, and art, Spain also has plenty to offer in terms of natural riches and fun road trips. Car travel between Porto and Galicia, Algarve and Andalusia, or even Lisbon and Madrid is quite common, but do ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the national border.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $162 per day
- Station wagons - from $142 per day
- Large cars - from $107 per day
- Medium cars - from $105 per day
- Vans - from $214 per day
- Premium cars - from $173 per day
- Small cars - from $75 per day
- SUVs - from $143 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Portugal:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Portugal is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 66% cheaper than renting a car in November.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Portugal
Car Rental in Lisbon from $28.30 per day
Car Rental in Porto from $66.57 per day
Car Rental in Faro from $57.64 per day
Car Rental in Benfica from $44.42 per day
Car Rental in Madeira from $45.13 per day
Car Rental in Funchal from $54.14 per day
Car Rental in Portimao from $47.09 per day
Car Rental in Alvor from $48.92 per day
Car Rental in Albufeira from $70.49 per day
Car Rental in Lagos from $48.92 per day
Car Rental in Quarteira from $60.00 per day
Car Rental in Armacao de Pera from $48.92 per day
Car Rental in Vilamoura from $48.92 per day
Car Rental in Porto Santo from $95.80 per day
Car Rental in Braga from $53.67 per day
Car Rental in Cascais from $48.92 per day
Car Rental in Aveiro from $44.42 per day
Car Rental in Coimbra from $6.12 per day
Car Rental in Almada from $46.55 per day
Car Rental in Viseu from $53.67 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Portugal
Car Rental at Lisbon Airport from $22.79 per day
Car Rental at Porto Airport from $23.80 per day
Car Rental at Faro Airport from $25.44 per day
Car Rental at Oriente Train Station from $75.59 per day
Car Rental at Porto Campanha Railway Station from $66.57 per day
Car Rental at Madeira Funchal Airport from $45.13 per day
Car Rental at Lisbon Prior Velho from $57.11 per day
Car Rental at Lisbon Hotel Tivoli from $21.87 per day
Car Rental in Lisbon Sao Sebastiao from $48.92 per day
Car Rental in Lisbon Alameda from $75.59 per day
Car Rental at Lisbon Martim Moniz from $85.10 per day
Car Rental in Lisbon Taguspark from $129.84 per day
Car Rental at Porto Sao Bento Railway Station from $6.51 per day
Car Rental in Porto Boavista from $80.64 per day
Car Rental in Porto Ramalde from $146.45 per day
Car Rental at Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) from $94.43 per day
Car Rental in Faro Montenegro from $57.64 per day
Car Rental at Albufeira Pine Cliffs from $70.49 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Portugal?
What’s the average rental length in Portugal?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Portugal?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Drive on Holidays||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Seat Ibiza||5||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|BeRent||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500 Lounge||4||1||Small cars|
|Opo rent||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Madeira Rent||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.