Car Rental in Porto
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Porto?
Porto is a great place to rent a car. Full of history, landmarks, and atmosphere, some visitors even prefer it to Lisbon! An awesome destination in its own right, the city also serves as a base from where to explore the rest of Northern Portugal.
One-Way Car Rentals in Porto
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Porto and drop off in another city include:
- From Porto to Lisbon - 785 offers from $10.07 per day
- From Porto to Faro - 370 offers from $10.07 per day
- From Porto to Albufeira - 141 offers from $23.23 per day
- From Porto to Viseu - 43 offers from $20.97 per day
- From Porto to Braga - 53 offers from $14.66 per day
Top ways to enter Porto
- Porto Airport: Second busiest in Portugal, Porto Airport serves many destinations all across Europe, as well as some in North Africa and North America.
- Vigo Airport: The city of Vigo in the Spanish region of Galicia is just next door to Portugal. Porto can be reached in about two hours. Note that if you’re coming from Vigo to Porto, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Santiago de Compostela Airport: Another Galician airport, located in the famous pilgrimage center Santiago, is about three hour ride from Porto. Note that if you’re coming from Vigo to Porto, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Lisbon Airport: Portugal’s busiest airport in the nation’s capital has connections to all the world continents and is just about three hour ride south of Porto.
- The second largest city in Portugal, Porto has a population of just 237,000 within city limits, but 1.7 million people live in the city’s metropolitan area.
- Located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, Porto has warm, dry summers and mild, rainy winters. The average high temperature is 13.8 °C (56.8 °F) in January, the coldest month, and 25.7 °C (78.3 °F) in August, the warmest, with individual summer days getting significantly hotter than that.
Top destinations and activities
- The Stock Exchange Palace. Perhaps the most famous Porto landmark, Palácio da Bolsa has everything from the fabled Arab room to a port-wine tasting hall and artefacts of Portugal’s glorious trading and maritime past.
- Porto Cathedral. First built in the 13th century, this cathedral is a mix of architectural styles and an important place in the city’s history. Thanks to its location, it provides an amazing view of the rest of Porto.
- Livraria Lello. This old bookshop has often been called the most beautiful in Europe. Visitors admire its spiral staircase and unique design, but the book collection is not too shabby, either. You’ll have to buy a €5 voucher to enter, but you can spend in on books once you’re in.
- Portuguese Center of Photography. Situated in one of the most beautiful buildings in the city, this museum is dedicated to the beginnings of photography in Portugal, as well as the works of the most important contemporary photographers. A lot of the exhibition material is documentary, providing insight not just into the photography itself, but also into various pages of Portuguese history. The museum website is only available in Portuguese but provides some info about what to expect.
- Museum of Sacred Art and Archaeology. Another notable institution in another stunning building, this museum has found a home in the northern wing of São Lourenço Church. As suggested by the name, many of the artifacts are of religious nature, though there are also some that date back all the way to the Roman days of Portugal. The museum is very near the Douro riverfront and many other notable Porto landmarks.
- Dom Luís I Bridge. The Dom Luís I Bridge is a metal arch bridge that spans the Douro River and connects the city center to Vila Nova de Gaia, where many of Porto's famous port wine cellars are located. Completed in 1886, this 272 meters long (894 feet) bridge has become an icon of Porto. Walking across it should be on every Porto bucket list!
- This is just a small sample — check out this Porto guide for more things to see and do there.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit inside the city is 50 km/h, although in certain areas it may be reduced to 30 km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit isn't lowered during bad weather.
- Outside of the city the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130 km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2- or 3-lane roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is banned in Portugal, even with a hands-free system.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the European Union, is 112.
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See Portugal's official toll road website site for maps and fees.
Ideas for day trips
- Braga. About an hour’s drive northeast, Braga justifies its reputation as a religious center with many beautiful churches and cathedrals. However, there’s also a more hip element to it, as the city recently had the title of European Youth Capital for a year.
- Beaches. Driving further down the coast will get you to beautiful secluded spots or surfing centers like Nazaré, but even in the near vicinity of Porto you can find great beaches like Foz do Douro, Praia de Matosinhos, Praia da Granja, Praia dos Ingleses.
- Peneda-Gerês National Park. About an hour’s drive north of Porto, this nature park is home to such diverse wildlife as wolves, emerald lizards and honey buzzards, and is a beautiful green area to explore and relax in.
- Viana do Castelo. Located an hour’s drive north of Porto, very close to the border with Spain, Viana is best known for the Basilica of Santa Luzia. Impressive in its own right, the mountaintop church provides amazing views of the Lima River and the Atlantic Ocean below. There are other reasons to visit, too, not least the Gil Eanes Naval Museum near the city’s docks and the city’s several blue flag beaches.
- Douro Valley. This famous wine region is a must-visit from Porto and is only a little over an hour away. It can be reached by car, train, boat, or tour. They are renowned for their port wine production and cute villages along the way.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Portugal is the VW Polo, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
For more about traveling around Portugal with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Lisbon. Nation’s capital and Porto’s great rival is just as charming, but different in lifestyle, architecture, and atmosphere. Some travelers prefer Porto, while others fall in love with Lisbon, but you can say you’ve truly been to Portugal only if you’ve visited them both.
- Coimbra. First settled by the Romans and important during the medieval times, Coimbra boasts one of the world’s oldest universities and an impressively delicious local cuisine.
- Galicia. Just north of Porto, Spain’s westernmost region is home to wild nature more similar to Scotland than Barcelona, distinct local character, and beautiful cities like Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, and A Coruña. You'll have to cross the international border to visit Galicia, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Porto
- Convertibles - from $9 per day
- Station wagons - from $13 per day
- Large cars - from $19 per day
- Medium cars - from $9 per day
- Vans - from $50 per day
- Premium cars - from $55 per day
- Small cars - from $6 per day
- SUVs - from $10 per day
There are things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Porto:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Porto is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 48% cheaper than the yearly average.
- Check out our list of the best rental companies in Porto.
Top 20 Cities near Porto
Vila Nova de Gaia Car Rentals from $32.52 per day15.0 km / 9.3 miles away
Guimaraes Car Rentals from $12.07 per day39.3 km / 24.4 miles away
Braga Car Rentals from $12.07 per day40.6 km / 25.2 miles away
Aveiro Car Rentals from $12.07 per day67.7 km / 42.1 miles away
Vila Real Car Rentals from $12.07 per day79.3 km / 49.3 miles away
Viseu Car Rentals from $12.08 per day92.4 km / 57.4 miles away
Coimbra Car Rentals from $12.08 per day117.2 km / 72.8 miles away
Leiria Car Rentals from $18.44 per day166.8 km / 103.6 miles away
Caldas da Rainha Car Rentals from $20.73 per day208.2 km / 129.4 miles away
Santa Cruz Car Rentals from $47.13 per day242.5 km / 150.7 miles away
Lisbon Car Rentals from $5.03 per day278.1 km / 172.8 miles away
Sintra Car Rentals from $14.04 per day279.2 km / 173.5 miles away
Estoril Car Rentals from $19.98 per day288.4 km / 179.2 miles away
Almada Car Rentals from $12.07 per day289.9 km / 180.1 miles away
Parede Car Rentals from $12.07 per day290.2 km / 180.3 miles away
Cascais Car Rentals from $18.44 per day290.3 km / 180.4 miles away
Setubal Car Rentals from $12.07 per day302.5 km / 188.0 miles away
Evora Car Rentals from $18.44 per day306.1 km / 190.2 miles away
Portimao Car Rentals from $23.48 per day457.3 km / 284.2 miles away
Alvor Car Rentals from $23.16 per day459.0 km / 285.2 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Porto
Porto Airport Car Rentals from $5.71 per day
Porto Boavista Car Rentals from $33.51 per day10.6 km / 6.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.07 per day11.6 km / 7.2 miles away
12.8 km / 8.0 miles away
Porto Campanha Railway Station Car Rentals from $33.51 per day13.6 km / 8.5 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Rentals from $7.56 per day276.6 km / 171.9 miles away
Oriente Train Station Car Rentals from $20.73 per day278.0 km / 172.7 miles away
Lisbon Airport Car Rentals from $5.03 per day278.1 km / 172.8 miles away
Lisbon Alameda Car Rentals from $20.73 per day281.8 km / 175.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $7.23 per day282.5 km / 175.5 miles away
283.8 km / 176.3 miles away
284.2 km / 176.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $17.36 per day463.8 km / 288.2 miles away
Faro Airport Car Rentals from $7.16 per day474.3 km / 294.7 miles away
Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) Car Rentals from $80.47 per day1133.9 km / 704.6 miles away
Madeira Airport (Funchal) Car Rentals from $42.43 per day1190.8 km / 739.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Porto?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Porto?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Porto?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||5|
|Popular suppliers||Drive on Holidays, Record-go, Turisprime, SIXT, Opo rent|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$6 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Record-go||Seat Ibiza||5||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Opo rent||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Renault Captur||5||2||SUVs|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Up||5||1||Small cars|
|First Rent||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.