Car Rental in Porto
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Porto?
Porto is a great place to rent a car. Full of history and landmarks, it also serves as a base from where to explore the rest of Northern Portugal.
One-Way Car Rentals in Porto
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Porto and drop off in another city include:
- From Porto to Lisbon - 785 offers from 10.27 USD per day
- From Porto to Faro - 370 offers from 10.27 USD per day
- From Porto to Albufeira - 141 offers from 23.68 USD per day
- From Porto to Viseu - 43 offers from 21.38 USD per day
- From Porto to Braga - 53 offers from 14.95 USD per day
Top ways to enter Porto
- Porto Airport: Second busiest in Portugal, Porto Airport serves many destinations all across Europe, as well as some in North Africa and North America.
- Vigo Airport: The city of Vigo in the Spanish region of Galicia is just next door to Portugal. Porto can be reached in about two hours. Note that if you’re coming from Vigo to Porto, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Santiago de Compostela Airport: Another Galician airport, located in the famous pilgrimage center Santiago, is about three hour ride from Porto. Note that if you’re coming from Vigo to Porto, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Lisbon Airport: Portugal’s busiest airport in the nation’s capital has connections to all the world continents, and is just about three hour ride south of Porto.
Useful city facts
- Second largest city in Portugal, Porto has the population of just 237,000 within city limits, but almost 2 million people live in the city’s metropolitan area.
- Warm, dry summers and mild, rainy winter. Winter temperatures typically range between 5 °C (41 °F) during morning and 15 °C (59 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- The Stock Exchange Palace. Perhaps the most well-known Porto landmark, Palácio da Bolsa has everything from the fabled Arab room to a port-wine tasting hall and artefacts of Portugal’s trading past.
- Porto Cathedral. First built in 13th century, this cathedral is a mix of architectural styles and an important place in city’s history. Thanks to its location, it provides an amazing view of the city.
- Livraria Lello. The old bookshop has often been voted as one of the most beautiful in Europe. Visitors admire its spiral staircase and unique design, but the book collection is not too shabby, either. You’ll have to buy a €5 voucher to enter, but you can spend in on books once you’re in.
Traffic and parking tips
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See the official site for maps and prices.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Braga. About an hour’s drive northeast, Braga justifies its reputation as a religious center with many beautiful churches and cathedrals. However, there’s also a more hip element, as the city recently had the title of European Youth Capital for a year.
- Beaches. Going up or down the coast will get you to beautiful secluded spots or surfing centers like Nazaré, but even in the near vicinity of Porto you can find great beaches like Granja, Miramar, and Aguda.
- Peneda-Gerês National Park. About an hour’s drive north of Porto, this nature park is home to such diverse wildlife as wolves, emerald lizards and honey buzzards, and a beautiful green area to explore and relax in.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Portugal is the VW Polo, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Lisbon. Nation’s capital and Porto’s great rival is just as charming, but different in lifestyle, architecture, and atmosphere. Some travelers prefer Porto, while others fall in love with Lisbon, but you can say you’ve truly been to Portugal only if you’ve visited them both.
- Coimbra. First settled by Romans and important during medieval times, Coimbra boasts having one of the world’s oldest universities and an impressively delicious local cuisine.
- Galicia. Just north of Porto, Spain’s westernmost region is home to wild nature more similar to Scotland than Barcelona, distinct local character, and beautiful cities like Santiago de Compostela, Vigo, and A Coruña.
Car Rental Prices in Porto
- Convertibles - from $130 per day
- Station wagons - from $38 per day
- Large cars - from $37 per day
- Medium cars - from $29 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $71 per day
- Premium cars - from $77 per day
- Small cars - from $17 per day
- SUVs - from $32 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Porto:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Porto is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 48% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Porto
Lisbon Car Rentals from $5.22 per day278.1 km / 172.8 miles away
Faro Car Rentals from $5.05 per day474.3 km / 294.7 miles away
Almada Car Rentals from $12.82 per day289.9 km / 180.1 miles away
Benfica Car Rentals from $12.82 per day281.6 km / 175.0 miles away
Portimao Car Rentals from $12.17 per day457.3 km / 284.2 miles away
Vilamoura Car Rentals from $10.66 per day466.1 km / 289.6 miles away
Quarteira Car Rentals from $14.06 per day467.1 km / 290.2 miles away
Cascais Car Rentals from $11.33 per day290.3 km / 180.4 miles away
Braga Car Rentals from $11.33 per day40.6 km / 25.2 miles away
Setubal Car Rentals from $11.33 per day302.5 km / 188.0 miles away
Albufeira Car Rentals from $6.41 per day463.8 km / 288.2 miles away
Aveiro Car Rentals from $23.32 per day67.7 km / 42.1 miles away
Leiria Car Rentals from $11.33 per day166.8 km / 103.7 miles away
Coimbra Car Rentals from $11.33 per day117.2 km / 72.8 miles away
Viseu Car Rentals from $11.33 per day92.4 km / 57.4 miles away
358.3 km / 222.6 miles away
Lagos Car Rentals from $16.52 per day460.5 km / 286.1 miles away
Armacao de Pera Car Rentals from $11.97 per day462.1 km / 287.1 miles away
Estoril Car Rentals from $15.24 per day288.4 km / 179.2 miles away
Parede Car Rentals from $12.82 per day290.2 km / 180.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Porto
Downtown Car Rentals from $7.30 per day
Porto Airport Car Rentals from $4.80 per day11.6 km / 7.2 miles away
47.2 km / 29.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.32 per day57.6 km / 35.8 miles away
81.3 km / 50.5 miles away
106.3 km / 66.0 miles away
157.3 km / 97.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $15.21 per day171.2 km / 106.4 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Rentals from $11.33 per day267.5 km / 166.2 miles away
Oriente Train Station Car Rentals from $14.62 per day268.9 km / 167.1 miles away
Lisbon Airport Car Rentals from $5.22 per day269.0 km / 167.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.82 per day272.7 km / 169.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $6.41 per day273.4 km / 169.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $15.24 per day279.9 km / 173.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.82 per day280.8 km / 174.5 miles away
Parede Downtown Car Rentals from $12.82 per day281.6 km / 175.0 miles away
281.8 km / 175.1 miles away
292.8 km / 182.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $19.19 per day355.3 km / 220.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $14.65 per day444.7 km / 276.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Porto?
What’s the usual rental length in Porto?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Porto?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Surprice||Peugeot 108||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Yaris||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 23 Suppliers in Porto in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email