Car Rental in Albufeira
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Albufeira?
Located in the central part of the Algarve, Albufeira is one of the most visited destinations in the famous beach region of Portugal. Mainly visited for its attractive coastline, Albufeira also boasts interesting history and architecture for those eager to explore it. Better yet, the town offers easy access to the rest of Algarve and everything that this part of the country has to offer.
Furthermore, the public transport in the Algarve isn’t very good, so if you want to explore this region, renting a car is a must.
One-Way Car Rentals in Albufeira
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Albufeira and drop off in another city include:
- From Albufeira to Faro - 82 offers from $18.64 per day
- From Albufeira to Porto - 34 offers from $25.92 per day
- From Albufeira to Lisbon - 83 offers from $23.01 per day
Top ways to enter Albufeira
- Faro Airport: The main airport of the Algarve is only a 40-minute drive east of Albufeira. The airport is a large hub for the low-cost carriers Ryanair and easyJet, and also has flights by a number of other airlines. While there are many direct flights between Faro and other European countries, it is also possible to first fly to Lisbon and Porto and then get a connecting flight to Faro (this is an especially useful option for visitors coming from outside of Europe).
- Lisbon Airport: The main air hub of the country, Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport handled more than 31 million travelers in 2019. In addition to European connections, there are many flights to and from the Americas, Africa, and the Middle East. As mentioned above, it’s possible to get another short flight from Lisbon to Faro, but many travelers choose to pick up a rental car at Lisbon Airport and drive the rest of the distance. Lisbon is 275 km (171 miles) north of Faro and the trip between them takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches. Characterized by their golden sands and the Blue Flag status that most of them have, Albufeira has a wealth of pretty beaches to choose from. These include the very central Praia dos Pescadores ( Fisherman’s Beach), Tunnel Beach (named after a tunnel that you have to travel through to reach it), and the hip Praia da Oura. In addition to swimming and sunbathing, there are also good opportunities for doing watersports like kayaking and snorkeling.
- Old Town. Albufeira has a lovely Old Town featuring cobblestone streets, whitewashed and tiled houses, museums, lovely alleys, picturesque churches, lively squares, and a myriad of restaurants, stores, bars, and pubs. There’s also two famous viewpoints, Miradouro do Pau da Bandeira and Peneco, from where you can get a bird’s eye view of the city.
- Nightlife. Albufeira has the hottest nightlife in the Algarve with a plethora of bars and clubs that attract young locals and tourists. You can go to two different areas of the city: the Old Town, where you can find lots of bars with live performances and entertainment; and the Strip, a 2 km-long avenue full of neon lights, cafes, restaurants, themed bars and clubs. Both parts get busier from 9 - 10 pm and go until 3 – 4 am.
- Marina de Albufeira. Located around two kilometers west of the Old Town, Albufeira Marina is considered one of the best marinas in the country. In addition to the marina itself and the Nautical Club, this development hosts several types of restaurants, stores, tour agencies, and beauty parlors. It also provides family-friendly entertainment such as bowling, a leisure center, and indoor karting, which are perfect for a rainy day.
- Castle of Paderne. Like neighboring Andalusia in Spain, the Algarve spent centuries under Islamic rule during the Middle Ages (even its name comes from the Arabic word al-ḡarb, meaning “the west”). Many historic sites and much architecture remain as reminders of that era, including the Castle of Paderne, an impressive fortification built in the 12th century. Located just a short 20-minute drive north of Albufeira, it is definitely worth a visit.
- Zoomarine. A theme park, an aquarium, and a 4D cinema, Zoomarine is one of the most popular attractions in the Algarve. The park has varied flora and fauna, including sharks, dolphins, and seals, as well as pools, beaches, and water slides. Located just 10km (6.2 miles) northwest of Albufeira, the Zoomarine can be reached in about 15 minutes.
Traffic and parking
- In most of the cities in the Algarve, including Albufeira, you won’t have a problem finding a parking spot. You can park on the streets, but remember to always obey the traffic signs, or designated public parking. However, in the height of summer, it can be a bit hard to find available parking slots in places such as Albufeira Old Town and Praia da Marinha.
- The areas around Zoomarine/Albufeira Shopping and Avenida dos Descobrimentos (the main avenue in Downtown Albufeira) get extremely busy during the summer around 05:00 - 06:00 PM. The same is true of The Strip (Rua da Oura) around 10:00 - 11:00 PM.
- The Algarve has over 300 days of sunshine a year, so make sure you have sunglasses in the car when road tripping as it can be dangerous if you are blinded by the sun while driving.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Portugal is 112.
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See Portugal's official toll road website site for maps and fees.
In the Algarve, the main highway is the A22, also known as Via do Infante. If you don’t want to drive on a toll road, the N125, an alternative parallel route, is the best option.
Ideas for day trips
- Praia da Marinha. Located in the Lagoa area, a half-hour drive from Albufeira, this award-winning beach has been featured in many Portuguese guidebooks and advertising campaigns. It has amazing orange-yellowish limestone cliffs, golden sand, and crystal-clear blue water and was considered one of the most beautiful beaches in Europe by Michelin Guide.
- Benagil Cave. Also located in the municipality of Lagoa, in the little fishing village of Benagil, Algar de Benagil is a stunning cave just around the corner from Benagil Beach. What makes it so special is the perfect combination of golden walls with a round aperture in the ceiling and two beautiful archways. Benagil Cave has gained popularity over recent years and has become one of the most sought-after places in the Algarve.
- Lagos. Not to be confused with the Nigerian megalopolis of the same name, Portugal’s Lagos is a quaint and historic beach town. Smaller and perhaps also more relaxed than Albufeira, it has just as beautiful beaches and a very special atmosphere that is only heightened by its well-preserved architecture. Located some 60km (37 miles) west of Albufeira, Lagos can be reached in about 45 minutes.
- Faro. Although Faro is the largest city in Algarve and the location of the region’s main airport, it isn’t usually mentioned among its main attractions. More industrial, it is perhaps less scenic than Lagos, Albufeira, or Portimao. But those who give the city a chance will discover a surprising variety of attractions including a well-preserved old town, the scarily impressive Bone Chapel, the Jewish Heritage Center, and Ria Formosa National Park. You could do worse than checking out Faro before dropping off your car at the airport or as a day-trip. Located 45km (28 miles) east of Albufeira, the city can be reached in some 40 minutes.
- Monchique. Located in the inland part of Algarve that remains unexplored by most visitors, Monchique is an ancient spa town situated in the region’s hills. Some of the highest peaks of the Algarve are located just outside the town, and you’ll also find hiking trails, baths that have been enjoyed by the Romans, and some of the most charming hill stations in all of the country. Located about 85km (53 miles), Monchique can be reached in just over one hour. Note: If you’re visiting during the warmest time of the year, make sure to check out Portugal’s wildfire forecast — unfortunately, Monchique has periodically suffered from wildfires in the surrounding eucalyptus forests over the last decade.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Albufeira is the Peugeot 308, followed by the Renault Clio and the Citroen C1. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and mini.
Car Rental Prices in Albufeira
- Convertibles - from $25 per day
- Station wagons - from $39 per day
- Large cars - from $46 per day
- Medium cars - from $28 per day
- Vans - from $110 per day
- Premium cars - from $83 per day
- Small cars - from $18 per day
- SUVs - from $36 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car suppliers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Albufeira is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 52% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 60% cheaper than renting a vehicle in July. You can also find great deals in May and September-October.
Top 20 Cities near Albufeira
Vilamoura Car Rentals from $23.45 per day10.9 km / 6.8 miles away
Quarteira Car Rentals from $16.13 per day12.3 km / 7.6 miles away
Armacao de Pera Car Rentals from $20.58 per day13.1 km / 8.1 miles away
Carvoeiro Car Rentals from $96.67 per day20.6 km / 12.8 miles away
Faro Car Rentals from $9.51 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
Portimao Car Rentals from $22.48 per day26.8 km / 16.7 miles away
Alvor Car Rentals from $23.45 per day29.9 km / 18.6 miles away
Olhao Car Rentals from $140.94 per day36.0 km / 22.4 miles away
Lagos Car Rentals from $25.42 per day39.0 km / 24.2 miles away
Tavira Car Rentals from $140.94 per day52.6 km / 32.7 miles away
Monte Gordo Car Rentals from $25.42 per day70.9 km / 44.1 miles away
Evora Car Rentals from $24.71 per day165.6 km / 102.9 miles away
Setubal Car Rentals from $15.76 per day170.0 km / 105.6 miles away
Almada Car Rentals from $17.35 per day193.3 km / 120.1 miles away
Lisbon Car Rentals from $4.50 per day202.4 km / 125.8 miles away
Parede Car Rentals from $262.66 per day202.8 km / 126.0 miles away
Estoril Car Rentals from $15.76 per day206.8 km / 128.5 miles away
Cascais Car Rentals from $17.35 per day206.9 km / 128.6 miles away
Sintra Car Rentals from $5.63 per day214.9 km / 133.5 miles away
Santa Cruz Car Rentals from $30.11 per day248.1 km / 154.2 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Albufeira
Downtown Car Rentals from $18.24 per day
Faro Airport Car Rentals from $9.51 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
196.4 km / 122.0 miles away
198.0 km / 123.0 miles away
Lisbon Alameda Car Rentals from $26.28 per day199.1 km / 123.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $7.04 per day199.2 km / 123.8 miles away
Oriente Train Station Car Rentals from $26.28 per day201.1 km / 125.0 miles away
Lisbon Airport Car Rentals from $4.50 per day202.4 km / 125.8 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Rentals from $5.11 per day203.6 km / 126.5 miles away
452.0 km / 280.9 miles away
Porto Campanha Railway Station Car Rentals from $26.47 per day452.2 km / 281.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $8.86 per day453.3 km / 281.7 miles away
Porto Boavista Car Rentals from $26.47 per day453.6 km / 281.9 miles away
Porto Airport Car Rentals from $3.83 per day463.8 km / 288.2 miles away
Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) Car Rentals from $78.80 per day862.3 km / 535.8 miles away
Madeira Funchal Airport Car Rentals from $17.42 per day918.5 km / 570.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Albufeira?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Albufeira?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Albufeira?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||Auto Prudente Rent A Car, SIXT, Europcar, Discovery Cars, Keddy|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$18 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Auto Prudente Rent A Car|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Opel Corsa Hatchback||5||2||Small cars|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Peugeot 108||5||1||Small cars|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Seat Ibiza||5||2||Small cars|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Hyundai i10||5||2||Small cars|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Seat Arona||5||2||SUVs|
|Auto Prudente Rent A Car||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.