Car Rental in Albufeira
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Albufeira?
Located in the central part of the Algarve, Albufeira is one of the most visited destinations in the famous beach region of Portugal. Mainly visited for its attractive coastline, Albufeira also boasts interesting history and architecture for those eager to explore it. Better yet, the town offers easy access to the rest of Algarve and everything that this part of the country has to offer.
One-Way Car Rentals in Albufeira
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Albufeira and drop off in another city include:
- From Albufeira to Faro - 82 offers from US$ 21.33 per day
- From Albufeira to Porto - 34 offers from US$ 29.66 per day
- From Albufeira to Lisbon - 83 offers from US$ 26.33 per day
Top ways to enter Albufeira
- Faro Airport: The main airport of the Algarve is only a 40-minute drive east of Albufeira. The airport is a large hub for the low-cost carriers Ryanair and easyJet, and also has flights by a number of other airlines. While there are many direct flights between Faro and other European countries, it is also possible to first fly to Lisbon and Porto and then get a connecting flight to Faro (this is an especially useful option for visitors coming from outside of Europe).
- Lisbon Airport: The main air hub of the country, Lisbon Humberto Delgado Airport handled more than 31 million travelers in 2019. In addition to European connections, there are many flights to and from the Americas, Africa, and the Middle East. As mentioned above, it’s possible to get another short flight from Lisbon to Faro, but many travelers choose to pick up a rental car at Lisbon Airport and drive the rest of the distance. Lisbon is 275 km (171 miles) north of Faro and the trip between them takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches. Characterized by their golden sands and the Blue Flag status that most of them have, Albufeira has a wealth of pretty beaches to choose from. These include the very central Praia dos Pescadores ( Fisherman’s Beach), Tunnel Beach (named after a tunnel that you have to travel through to reach it), and the hip Golden Beach. In addition to swimming and sunbathing, there are also good opportunities for doing watersports like snorkeling.
- Castle of Paderne. Like neighboring Andalusia in Spain, the Algarve spent centuries under Islamic rule during the Middle Ages (even its name comes from the Arabic word al-ḡarb, meaning “the west”). Many historic sites and much architecture remain as reminders of that era, including the Castle of Paderne, an impressive fortification built in the 12th century. Located just a short 20-minute drive north of Albufeira, it is definitely worth a visit.
- Zoomarine. A theme park, an aquarium, and a 4D cinema, Zoomarine is one of the most popular attractions in the Algarve. The park has varied flora and fauna, including sharks, dolphins, and seals, as well as pools, beaches, and water slides. Located just 10km (6.2 miles) northwest of Albufeira, the Zoomarine can be reached in about 15 minutes.
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See Portugal's official toll road website site for maps and fees.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Lagos. Not to be confused with the Nigerian megalopolis of the same name, Portugal’s Lagos is a quaint and historic beach town. Smaller and perhaps also more relaxed than Albufeira, it has just as beautiful beaches and a very special atmosphere that is only heightened by its well-preserved architecture. Located some 60km (37 miles) west of Albufeira, Lagos can be reached in about 45 minutes.
- Faro. Although Faro is the largest city in Algarve and the location of the region’s main airport, it isn’t usually mentioned among its main attractions. More industrial, it is perhaps less scenic than Lagos, Albufeira, or Portimao. But those who give the city a chance will discover a surprising variety of attractions including a well-preserved old town, the scarily impressive Bone Chapel, the Jewish Heritage Center, and Ria Formosa National Park. You could do worse than checking out Faro before dropping off your car at the airport or as a day-trip. Located 45km (28 miles) east of Albufeira, the city can be reached in some 40 minutes.
- Monchique. Located in the inland part of Algarve that remains unexplored by most visitors, Monchique is an ancient spa town situated in the region’s hills. Some of the highest peaks of the Algarve are located just outside the town, and you’ll also find hiking trails, baths that have been enjoyed by the Romans, and some of the most charming hill stations in all of the country. Located about 85km (53 miles), Monchique can be reached in just over one hour. Note: If you’re visiting during the warmest time of the year, make sure to check out Portugal’s wildfire forecast — unfortunately, Monchique has periodically suffered from wildfires in the surrounding eucalyptus forests over the last decade.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Albufeira is the Peugeot 308, followed by the Renault Clio and the Citroen C1. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and mini.
Car Rental Prices in Albufeira
- Convertibles - from $44 per day
- Station wagons - from $21 per day
- Large cars - from $35 per day
- Medium cars - from $26 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $56 per day
- Small cars - from $12 per day
- SUVs - from $26 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are some good methods to save money on your rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car suppliers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Albufeira is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 52% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 60% cheaper than renting a vehicle in July.
Top 20 Cities near Albufeira
Lisbon Car Rentals from $5.52 per day199.1 km / 123.7 miles away
Porto Car Rentals from $7.19 per day453.3 km / 281.6 miles away
Faro Car Rentals from $11.56 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
Madeira Car Rentals from $5.49 per day918.5 km / 570.7 miles away
Braga Car Rentals from $7.93 per day496.6 km / 308.6 miles away
Almada Car Rentals from $7.93 per day193.3 km / 120.1 miles away
Cascais Car Rentals from $7.93 per day206.9 km / 128.5 miles away
Coimbra Car Rentals from $7.93 per day347.3 km / 215.8 miles away
Porto Santo Car Rentals from $25.86 per day862.3 km / 535.8 miles away
Setubal Car Rentals from $7.93 per day170.0 km / 105.6 miles away
Benfica Car Rentals from $14.95 per day202.3 km / 125.7 miles away
Portimao Car Rentals from $7.52 per day26.8 km / 16.7 miles away
Viseu Car Rentals from $7.93 per day396.9 km / 246.6 miles away
Aveiro Car Rentals from $7.93 per day396.1 km / 246.1 miles away
Leiria Car Rentals from $7.93 per day299.8 km / 186.3 miles away
Lagos Car Rentals from $11.62 per day39.0 km / 24.2 miles away
Vilamoura Car Rentals from $9.87 per day10.9 km / 6.8 miles away
Quarteira Car Rentals from $7.36 per day12.3 km / 7.7 miles away
Armacao de Pera Car Rentals from $11.62 per day13.1 km / 8.1 miles away
Braganca Car Rentals from $7.93 per day540.6 km / 335.9 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Albufeira
Faro Montenegro Car Rentals from $11.56 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
Faro Airport Car Rentals from $3.77 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
Lisbon Hotel Tivoli Car Rentals from $8.03 per day198.0 km / 123.0 miles away
Lisbon Alameda Car Rentals from $5.52 per day199.1 km / 123.7 miles away
Lisbon Sao Sebastiao Car Rentals from $5.52 per day199.5 km / 124.0 miles away
Oriente Train Station Car Rentals from $5.52 per day201.1 km / 125.0 miles away
Lisbon Airport Car Rentals from $2.41 per day202.4 km / 125.7 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Rentals from $7.93 per day203.6 km / 126.5 miles away
Coimbra Train Station Car Rentals from $6.95 per day347.1 km / 215.7 miles away
Porto Sao Bento Railway station Car Rentals from $7.39 per day452.0 km / 280.8 miles away
Porto Campanha Railway Station Car Rentals from $8.53 per day452.2 km / 281.0 miles away
Porto Boavista Car Rentals from $8.53 per day453.6 km / 281.9 miles away
Porto Ramalde Car Rentals from $30.88 per day455.0 km / 282.8 miles away
Porto Airport Car Rentals from $2.72 per day463.8 km / 288.2 miles away
Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) Car Rentals from $25.86 per day862.3 km / 535.8 miles away
Madeira Airport (Funchal) Car Rentals from $5.49 per day918.5 km / 570.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Albufeira?
What’s the usual rental length in Albufeira?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Albufeira?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Peugeot 108||5||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Peugeot 308||5||2||Medium cars|
|Budget||Citroen C1||2||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Renault Grand Scenic||5||1||People Carriers/Vans|
|SIXT||Renault Megane Sports Tourer||5||2||Station wagons|
|Keddy||Citroen C4 Cactus||5||2||Medium cars|