Car Rental in Venice
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Venice?
Known for its canals, gondolas, beautiful art galleries and historic landmarks, the floating city of Venice is a destination like no other. The city’s historic center and most of the islands can only be visited on foot, so it’s best to rent a car in Venice when you’re ready to leave the city and explore more of the Veneto region and nearby cities like Verona or Padua.
One-Way Car Rentals in Venice
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Venice and drop off in another city include:
- From Venice to Verona - 207 offers from $18.21 per day
- From Venice to Rome - 387 offers from $18.90 per day
- From Venice to Naples - 138 offers from $18.90 per day
- From Venice to Bergamo - 155 offers from $21.78 per day
- From Venice to Milan - 145 offers from $21.82 per day
Top ways to enter Venice
- Venice Airport (VCE): Located just 8 km (4.9 mi) of the city center, Venice Marco Polo is the fourth busiest airport in Italy.
- Verona Airport (VRN): Small, cozy, and less than 90 minutes drive from Venice, Verona Airport is especially active during the summer months.
- Treviso Airport (TSF): Just 40 minutes drive north of Venice, Treviso Airport is popular with many low-cost carriers.
- By Sea or Rail: If you’re arriving in Venice by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Port of Venice. If you’re arriving by train, you can pick up your rental car at the Venice Mestre train station.
- The municipality of Venice is divided into six sestieri (districts) - San Marco, Cannaregio, Santa Croce, Dorsoduro, San Polo, and Castello.
- Venice experiences pleasantly warm summers, with sea water temperature sometimes exceeding 25 °C (77 °F) in July and August. The average air temperature in January, the coldest month, is 3.3 °C (37.9 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Doge’s Palace. One of the most famous buildings in Venice, the Doge’s Palace is the former home of the Venetian monarchs and as such was the symbolic center of the Republic of Venice which ruled the Adriatic and Ionian seas for close to 800 years. Built in the 14th century, the palace was later turned into a museum that will celebrate its 100th birthday in 2023.
- St Mark's Basilica. Another world-famous building and symbol of the city, the Basilica di San Marco is arguably one of the most beautiful churches in all of Italy. Built in the 10th and 11th centuries, it is known for its spectacular domes and ornate exterior and interior of glittering mosaics.
- Venetian Ghetto. One of the oldest of its kind in the world — in fact, the word ‘ghetto’ comes from the Venetian dialect — the old Jewish quarter of Venice is one of the city’s most fascinating areas. Located in Cannaregio, the northernmost of the six main districts of Venice, it is home to no less than five synagogues, the Venetian Jewish Museum, and a number of Jewish restaurants and cultural centers.
- The Islands. The Venetian lagoon has multiple islands, and two of the most famous are Burano and Murano. Burano is home to colorful buildings and a lace-making tradition, while Murano boasts the workshops of Venice’s famous glassmakers.
Traffic and parking
Venice is car-free, but keep the following in mind when driving to or from the city or in other parts of Italy:
The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
The speed limit on the Autostrada (toll road) is 130 km/h, reduced to 110 km/h if it’s raining. The speed limit on highways ranges from 90-110 km/h.
The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
If you’re the driver, you need to have your driver’s license and International Driving Permit (if required for you)passport or ID card with you at all times.
The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines. and even imprisonment.
The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
It’s easiest to park in Venice Mestre (mainland) or in Piazzale Roma. Remember that Venice is car-free, so you’ll need to move about the city with your own feet or by boat (public ferry or private water taxi).
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Padua. Called Padova in Italian, this city just 40 km (25 mi) west of Venice features the Basilica of St. Anthony, the Scrovegni Chapel, and the oldest Botanical Gardens in the world.
- Verona. Home to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, of course, but also to impressive architecture, ancient artifacts, and delicious cuisine, Verona makes an excellent addition to any itinerary.
- Vicenza. Less than an hour from Venice, Vicenza is a UNESCO World Herritage site due to the architectural works of Andrea Palladio.
- Greater Venice. In addition to the ‘main’ city, Venice is also made up of a number of beautiful islands such as Murano, Burano, and the Lido. Bohemian, relaxed, and each with its own unique character, some locals and visitors will claim that these islands are more Venetian than Venice itself.
Most popular cars
The most often picked rental car in Italy are the Fiat Panda, although the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500 are also very popular. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
For more about traveling around Italy with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
Slovenia, Croatia, or Austria. These three unique countries each make a worthy travel destination in their own right, but the fact that they can be reached by car in a matter of hours means they make a great next destination after a visit to Venice. Note that to visit any of these three countries you’ll have to cross at least one national border, so first check with your rental car provider if they permit it.
Tuscany. Picturesque, traditional and welcoming, Tuscany embodies Italy through and through, from its cities like Pisa and Florence to its famous Chianti, Southern Tuscan, and SuperTuscan wineries.
Lombardy. From bustling Milan to Lake Como and the Alps, nearby Lombardy architecture, history, fashion, natural wonders, and delicious cuisine.
Car Rental Prices in Venice
- Convertibles - from $29 per day
- Station wagons - from $14 per day
- Large cars - from $32 per day
- Medium cars - from $13 per day
- Vans - from $63 per day
- Premium cars - from $53 per day
- Small cars - from $12 per day
- SUVs - from $13 per day
Here are some tips & tricks for getting a cheap rental car deal in Venice:
Compare rates of different rental car providers
Book your rental car well in advance
Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Visit during low seasons - outside of summer months and major holidays (like Easter, Ferragosto, Christmas).
Explore pickup locations. A nearby town that’s reached easily by train may have a better rate.
Don’t rent a car for time you’ll spend in cities. It will just sit in a parking lot or garage (and you’ll need to pay for parking!).
Look into renting ‘open jaw’ - pick up your car in one destination and drop it off in another. While you will likely need to pay a supplement for your car rental, you’ll save money on gas and tolls and you’ll save precious vacation time!
Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Venice is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 57% cheaper than the yearly average and almost unbelievable 79% cheaper than renting a car in April. Also on the plus side, even though the weather will be colder than in spring or summer, there will be significantly less other travelers in the city.
Top 20 Cities near Venice
Treviso Car Rentals from $18.85 per day20.1 km / 12.5 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $22.30 per day38.0 km / 23.6 miles away
Vicenza Car Rentals from $48.95 per day59.9 km / 37.2 miles away
Trieste Car Rentals from $21.22 per day94.1 km / 58.5 miles away
Trento Car Rentals from $26.41 per day114.4 km / 71.1 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $16.45 per day114.8 km / 71.3 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $28.73 per day133.7 km / 83.1 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $12.23 per day136.4 km / 84.8 miles away
Forli Car Rentals from $39.65 per day147.4 km / 91.6 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $48.40 per day148.9 km / 92.5 miles away
Rimini Car Rentals from $26.05 per day161.0 km / 100.0 miles away
Brescia Car Rentals from $25.46 per day166.7 km / 103.6 miles away
Parma Car Rentals from $31.85 per day177.2 km / 110.1 miles away
Pesaro Car Rentals from $26.05 per day184.0 km / 114.3 miles away
187.9 km / 116.8 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $13.20 per day206.9 km / 128.6 miles away
Florence Car Rentals from $20.98 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Lodi Car Rentals from $53.50 per day224.2 km / 139.3 miles away
Ancona Car Rentals from $22.36 per day224.8 km / 139.7 miles away
Arezzo Car Rentals from $33.86 per day229.5 km / 142.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Venice
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $11.50 per day
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $23.15 per day9.9 km / 6.2 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $18.85 per day20.1 km / 12.5 miles away
Trieste Airport Car Rentals from $21.22 per day94.1 km / 58.5 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $16.45 per day114.8 km / 71.3 miles away
Bolzano Airport Car Rentals from $33.47 per day132.5 km / 82.3 miles away
Bolzano Train Station Car Rentals from $45.29 per day134.3 km / 83.5 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $12.23 per day136.4 km / 84.8 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $18.54 per day136.6 km / 84.9 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $35.26 per day166.4 km / 103.4 miles away
Parma North Car Rentals from $48.40 per day174.3 km / 108.3 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $13.20 per day206.9 km / 128.6 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $20.98 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.82 per day211.5 km / 131.4 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $23.28 per day224.8 km / 139.7 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $15.14 per day239.9 km / 149.1 miles away
Milan Viale Umbria Car Rentals from $25.83 per day244.6 km / 152.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $34.47 per day245.9 km / 152.8 miles away
Milan Duomo Car Rentals from $42.11 per day246.8 km / 153.4 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $13.02 per day255.1 km / 158.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Venice?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Venice?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Venice?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, Drivalia, Italy Car Rent, Noleggiare, Viaggiare|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$12 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Italy Car Rent||Volkswagen T-Roc||5||3||SUVs|
|RentalPlus||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Skoda Scala||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.