Car Rental in Naples
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Naples?
Naples is a great place to visit by car. Having your own ride will not only let you explore this surprisingly large city, but also travel to nearby Pompeii, beaches, and further destinations.
One-Way Car Rentals in Naples
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Naples and drop off in another city include:
- From Naples to Bari - 125 offers from $19.10 per day
- From Naples to Milan - 202 offers from $22.58 per day
- From Naples to Rome - 119 offers from $19.10 per day
- From Naples to Florence - 127 offers from $19.10 per day
- From Naples to Brindisi - 119 offers from $22.58 per day
Top ways to enter Naples
- Naples Airport: Popular with airlines like Ryanair, Volotea, easyJet, and many others, Naples Airport is well-connected to many destinations in Europe, as well as North Africa and the Middle East.
- Rome Fiumicino Airport: Named after Leonardo Da Vinci and busiest in Italy, Rome Fiumicino Airport serves flights to destinations in all continents of the world. From here, Naples is just 225 km (140 mi) away.
- Rome Ciampino Airport: The smaller of the two Rome airports, Ciampino is connected to many destinations both in Western and Eastern Europe.
- The port of Naples. One of the largest Italian seaports is an entry point for travelers from the Amalfi Coast, the islands in the Gulf of Naples, the Aeolian Islands, the Pontine Islands, Sardinia, and Sicily.
First settled by Greeks more than 3000 years ago and modern capital of Campania Region, Naples has a metropolitan population of more than 3,000,000 people.
Naples is warm and more humid than many other Mediterranean coastal cities. Winters are mild, while summer temperatures often exceed 30 °C (86 °F).
Pizza was invented in Naples, so it's no surprise that the must-try in the land of pizza is the Neapolitan-style pizza. Gino Sorbillo and L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele are the top places in town. Some onther local specialties you should try are:
- Fried pizza - It looks nothing like pizza, but it's filled with creamy ricotta cheese, meat, and spices, so it tastes a lot like pizza.
- Pasta alla Genovese - Don't let the name confuses you. This pasta is as Neapolitan as the pizza. Its sauce consists of delicious stewed meat and onions taken truly to the next level.
- Buffalo mozzarella - easy to find all around the world but truly incredible in Naples. Here it's considered good only if made on the same day.
- Neapolitan coffee - strong, tick, and addictive. Coffee is amazing everywhere
Top destinations and activities
- San Francesco di Paola. Perhaps the most famous church of Naples, the Royal Palace is located in Piazza del Plebiscito, the city’s main square and beating heart.
- Royal Palace (Palazzo Reale). Built for Bourbon Kings during their rule of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies in the 17th Century, the old palace is another important historic and architectural landmark.
- Cuisine. Not only the birthplace, but arguably the world capital of pizza, Naples has endless varieties of it that you won’t find anywhere. Its seafood, cheese, are wine is just as good.
- National Archaeological Museum. One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Europe, Naples has seen the rise and fall of many classical civilizations. Visiting sites like Pompeii is a special experience, but the place to get the most comprehensive insight into the city’s fascinating past is no doubt the Museo Archeologico. Located in a beautiful 16th-century building, the museum has thousands of unique artifacts.
- The historic center of Naples is a UNESCO World Heritage Site encapsulating 2700 years of history. The most notable streets are Spaccanapoli Road, Via dei Tribunali, and Via San Gregorio Armeno.
Traffic and parking
The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Pompeii. The ancient city that was ruined by nearby Mt. Vesuvius looks practically the same as it did 2000 years ago, and is the one place where you can truly see how the Romans lived.
- Amalfi Coast. Picturesque and relaxed, the Amalfi Coast is often considered one of the top destinations in Italy (and indeed, Europe). It is only a tad more than an hour’s drive from Naples, so it is even possible to live in the city and come visit here every day.
- Capri. Located in the Bay of Naples, the famous island is just 5 km (3.1 mi) from the mainland. Easily reached, it is admired not only for its beaches and nature, but also its impressive history.
- Herculaneum. Located about halfway between the center of Naples and Pompeii, is the Herculaneum, a classical Roman city that was destroyed in the same 79 AD volcanic eruption as its more famous neighbor. The ancient ruins, baths, and temples are fascinating to explore. Make sure to not miss out on fascinating works of art like the Mosaic of Neptune and Amphitrite, either.
- Vesuvius. The infamous volcano is responsible for the most catastrophic eruption in human history and is still the only active volcano in mainland Europe. It's a relatively easy 1km climb since you can reach almost the top via car.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental cars in Italy are the Fiat Panda, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Rome. The Eternal City has something for every traveler, from history lovers to art aesthetes and food enthusiasts. If you’re in Naples, it would be a shame not go to and see it as you’re less than three hours drive away.
- Calabria and Apulia. Even more rugged and wild than Naples and Campania, these two Italian regions should be explored at a slower pace, setting aside time to meet the hospitable locals and learn about the region’s history and traditions.
- Sicily. Easily reached, the Italy’s largest island is just around six hours drive away. Its old cities, spectacular beaches, and traces of varied history will easily convince you that such a trip is worthwhile.
- Abruzzo. Sometimes overlooked for its more famous neighbors, the region of Abruzzo can be a lovely off-the-beaten-track destination to explore, especially if you’ve got your own transport. Best-known for its long and rugged Adriatic beaches, the region is also home to the bucolic countryside, ancient mountaintop towns, and no less than four national parks. The drive from Naples to L’Aquila, the capital of Abruzzo, takes only about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Florence. The city of Michelangelo and the Medici is a renaissance town frozen in time. Just a 5 hours drive from Naples, it's a great way to continue your Italian adventure.
Car Rental Prices in Naples
- Convertibles - from $157 per day
- Station wagons - from $37 per day
- Large cars - from $30 per day
- Medium cars - from $13 per day
- Vans - from $149 per day
- Premium cars - from $217 per day
- Small cars - from $12 per day
- SUVs - from $15 per day
There are things you can do to get a good rental deal in Naples:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Naples is the cheapest in January when renting a car is an incredible 75% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Naples
Caserta Car Rentals from $25.10 per day20.6 km / 12.8 miles away
Sorrento Car Rentals from $21.36 per day29.8 km / 18.5 miles away
Salerno Car Rentals from $29.02 per day46.8 km / 29.1 miles away
Benevento Car Rentals from $20.02 per day49.2 km / 30.6 miles away
Frosinone Car Rentals from $20.71 per day115.2 km / 71.6 miles away
Foggia Car Rentals from $42.31 per day120.6 km / 74.9 miles away
San Severo Car Rentals from $40.86 per day127.3 km / 79.1 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $20.91 per day172.1 km / 106.9 miles away
Vieste Car Rentals from $41.80 per day192.5 km / 119.6 miles away
Rome Car Rentals from $12.66 per day198.6 km / 123.4 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $18.09 per day209.3 km / 130.1 miles away
Terni Car Rentals from $29.18 per day231.0 km / 143.5 miles away
Civitavecchia Car Rentals from $28.54 per day248.1 km / 154.2 miles away
Monopoli Car Rentals from $51.02 per day252.4 km / 156.8 miles away
Orvieto Scalo Car Rentals from $83.39 per day271.6 km / 168.8 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $17.10 per day276.1 km / 171.6 miles away
Ostuni-Brindisi Car Rentals from $40.86 per day277.2 km / 172.2 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $29.55 per day286.3 km / 177.9 miles away
Chiusi Car Rentals from $47.91 per day304.9 km / 189.5 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $18.23 per day308.9 km / 191.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Naples
Naples Airport Car Rentals from $12.30 per day
Downtown Car Rentals from $61.74 per day3.1 km / 1.9 miles away
Salerno Train Station Car Rentals from $34.72 per day46.8 km / 29.1 miles away
Pescara Airport Car Rentals from $20.91 per day172.1 km / 106.9 miles away
Rome Airport Ciampino Car Rentals from $22.24 per day174.2 km / 108.2 miles away
184.2 km / 114.5 miles away
Rome Tiburtina Train station Car Rentals from $29.45 per day186.0 km / 115.6 miles away
Rome Termini Train Station Car Rentals from $22.59 per day186.8 km / 116.1 miles away
Rome Centre Villa Borghese Car Rentals from $54.85 per day189.0 km / 117.4 miles away
Rome Via Aurelia Car Rentals from $28.54 per day191.3 km / 118.9 miles away
Rome Airport Fiumicino Car Rentals from $12.66 per day198.6 km / 123.4 miles away
Bari Airport Car Rentals from $18.09 per day209.3 km / 130.1 miles away
Bari Train Station Car Rentals from $42.31 per day218.0 km / 135.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $45.68 per day218.5 km / 135.8 miles away
Lamezia Terme Airport Car Rentals from $17.10 per day276.1 km / 171.6 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $29.59 per day286.3 km / 177.9 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $47.91 per day304.3 km / 189.1 miles away
Brindisi Airport Car Rentals from $18.23 per day308.9 km / 191.9 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $21.32 per day313.1 km / 194.6 miles away
Lecce Train Station Car Rentals from $42.55 per day332.5 km / 206.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Naples?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Naples?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Naples?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||10|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, Brent, Drivalia, Noleggiare, Sicily By Car|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$12 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Brent||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Lancia Ypsilon||4||2||Small cars|
|Brent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Brent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Medium cars|
|GaldieriRent||Citroën C3||5||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.