Car Rental in Bergamo
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Bergamo?
Bergamo is a great place for renting a car. Historic and cozy, it is also close to the Alps, many other famous Italian cities, and the Adriatic Sea which you can all easily reach if you have your own wheels.
One-Way Car Rentals in Bergamo
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Bergamo and drop off in another city include:
- From Bergamo to Milan - 257 offers from $10.31 per day
- From Bergamo to Rome - 248 offers from $10.31 per day
- From Bergamo to Treviso - 112 offers from $20.16 per day
- From Bergamo to Naples - 111 offers from $20.16 per day
- From Bergamo to Venice - 123 offers from $20.16 per day
Top ways to enter Bergamo
- Bergamo Airport: Located just 6 km (3.6 mi) from the city center, Bergamo Airport is served by more than 20 airlines. It is sometimes also called Orio al Serio Airport and Il Caravaggio Airport.
- Milan Linate Airport: Located about 50 km (31 mi) from Bergamo and the one closest to Milan, Linate Airport is a hub for ITA Airways and is also served by many other airlines like British Airways, Lufthansa, and KLM.
- Milan Malpensa Airport: Second busiest in Italy, Malpensa Airport is by far the largest one in the Lombardy region. Driving from there to Bergamo takes about an hour.
- The average high temperature in Bergamo is 29°C (83°F) in July and 7°C (44°F) in January. Due to its rather high elevation, the city quite often experiences snow in winter.
- Bergamo is built on the site of Bergomum, an ancient town built by Cenomani, a Celtic tribe. The city has been part of many different domains like the Roman Empire, the Ostrogothic Kingdom, the Republic of Venice and many others.
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Maria Maggiore. One of the most notable churches of Bergamo’s Città Alta, or Upper Town, this basilica was built in medieval times and took several centuries to finish, and it has been one of the most recognizable landmarks of the city ever since. Make sure to see it from the inside as well because, curiously, the church has a Romanesque exterior but a Baroque interior.
- Accademia Carrara. Both a place of learning and a gallery, the Carrara Academy is one of Bergamo’s most notable art centers. Established in the 18th century, it boasts works by many famous masters and has recently also hosted exhibitions of Velasquez, Caravaggio, and Tiziano. Visit the gallery’s English language website to learn more. Unlike most of Bergamo’s landmarks, the academy is in the Lower Town.
- The Venetian Walls. Having kept the Upper City safe for hundreds of years, the construction of the walls that enclose it dates back to the Venetian rule of Bergamo in the 16th century. Nowadays, the walls have been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Find more of the best things to do in and around the city in this Bergamo guide.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Milan. Bergamo’s much larger neighbor is the capital of Lombardy and one of Europe’s most famous cities. Roaming its streets, interacting with locals, and eating in small side-street restaurants is just as fun as seeing incredible architecture like the Duomo or visiting the city’s many museums. The drive from Bergamo takes only about an hour.
- Lake Garda. Slightly less than an hour and a half drive east of Bergamo, Lago di Garda is located on the foothills of the Dolomite Mountains and is considered one of the most picturesque lakes in Europe. Many a lovely lakeside town can be found on its nearest western shore, and the area is also worth visiting during the winter months as it is located near several winter sports resorts.
- Verona. This stunning historical city is a must-see if you’re in the region. While Verona might be most famous as the setting for Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet story, the town has many other worthwhile sights. Visit the ancient Roman amphitheater, the central Piazza delle Erbe, and marvel at the beautiful views of the city from the hill of Castel San Pietro. From Bergamo, it takes about one hour and fifteen minutes to reach Verona.
- Valtellina Orobie Alps Regional Park. Also known as Bergamo Alps Park and Parco delle Orobie Bergamasche, this wilderness area is one of the most popular day trips from the city. Made up of snow-capped peaks, highland lakes, and even glaciers, it is a biodiversity hub and provides a home to such varied species as western capercaillies, alpine ibexes, and grey wolves. The drive from Bergamo takes only about 70 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, although travelers also like the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Venice. The famous sinking city comprised of 118 islands and countless canals could be explored for weeks. Most of historic Venice cannot be accessed by car, so it’s a good idea to find a parking space in advance, or make sure you’ll be provided one by your accommodation. The drive from Bergamo takes slightly over two hours, and on your way east, you’ll cross other historical gems like Verona and Padua.
- Florence. When it comes to history, architecture, and art, there are very few places that can compete with Florence. Better yet, this splendid city is the capital of Tuscany and can be used as a hub for exploring the rest of that bucolic region. The drive from Bergamo to Florence takes a little less than four hours.
- Switzerland. Just an hour’s drive north of Bergamo, Switzerland's beautiful, Italian-speaking Ticino region offers fascinating cities like Lugano and Locarno, stunning landscapes, and food that’s as delicious as on the other side of the border. From here, you can continue to explore the rest of Switzerland. Note that if you’re coming from Bergamo to Switzerland, you’ll have to cross an international border, so check with your car rental supplier first to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices in Bergamo
- Station wagons - from $34 per day
- Large cars - from $21 per day
- Medium cars - from $16 per day
- Vans - from $114 per day
- Premium cars - from $74 per day
- Small cars - from $14 per day
- SUVs - from $23 per day
Follow these tips to get a good rental car deal in in Bergamo:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Bergamo is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 47% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Bergamo
Brescia Car Rentals from $32.03 per day42.6 km / 26.5 miles away
Lodi Car Rentals from $61.32 per day44.0 km / 27.3 miles away
Como Car Rentals from $48.89 per day51.0 km / 31.7 miles away
68.8 km / 42.8 miles away
Pavia Car Rentals from $30.10 per day69.6 km / 43.2 miles away
Milan Car Rentals from $10.80 per day76.0 km / 47.2 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $17.04 per day97.3 km / 60.5 miles away
Parma Car Rentals from $18.00 per day106.9 km / 66.4 miles away
Trento Car Rentals from $18.00 per day118.3 km / 73.5 miles away
Vicenza Car Rentals from $32.33 per day147.1 km / 91.4 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $18.00 per day147.7 km / 91.8 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $38.18 per day154.2 km / 95.8 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $22.96 per day155.8 km / 96.8 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $18.36 per day168.7 km / 104.8 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $22.40 per day171.9 km / 106.8 miles away
La Spezia Car Rentals from $32.03 per day174.1 km / 108.2 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $12.44 per day177.4 km / 110.2 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $24.43 per day193.5 km / 120.2 miles away
Cuneo Car Rentals from $55.57 per day205.8 km / 127.9 miles away
Venice Car Rentals from $11.70 per day206.9 km / 128.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Bergamo
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $13.53 per day
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $10.80 per day41.9 km / 26.0 miles away
Milan Viale Umbria Car Rentals from $46.17 per day45.2 km / 28.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $67.43 per day45.3 km / 28.1 miles away
Milan Duomo Car Rentals from $66.05 per day46.6 km / 29.0 miles away
Milan Airport Malpensa Car Rentals from $11.49 per day76.0 km / 47.2 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $17.04 per day97.3 km / 60.5 miles away
Parma North Car Rentals from $40.91 per day105.8 km / 65.7 miles away
Bolzano Airport Car Rentals from $42.65 per day152.7 km / 94.9 miles away
Genova Airport Car Rentals from $22.96 per day155.8 km / 96.8 miles away
Bolzano Train Station Car Rentals from $54.61 per day157.0 km / 97.6 miles away
Turin Airport Car Rentals from $18.36 per day168.7 km / 104.8 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $12.44 per day177.4 km / 110.2 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $231.20 per day182.9 km / 113.6 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $24.43 per day193.5 km / 120.2 miles away
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $89.29 per day197.5 km / 122.7 miles away
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $11.70 per day206.9 km / 128.6 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $11.88 per day227.9 km / 141.6 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $32.72 per day238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $35.08 per day240.8 km / 149.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Bergamo?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Bergamo?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Bergamo?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||6|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, Drivalia, Viaggiare, Sicily By Car, Noleggiare|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$14 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|RentSmart24||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.