Car Rental in Bari
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Bari?
Located on the coast of the Adriatic Sea, Bari is one of the most interesting destinations in northern Italy. Most visitors are naturally drawn to the spectacular beaches of the region, but Bari is also a worthy destination when it comes to culture and history, and can serve as a hub from which to explore the rest of Apulia.
One-Way Car Rentals in Bari
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Bari and drop off in another city include:
- From Bari to Naples - 181 offers from $19.63 per day
- From Bari to Brindisi - 175 offers from $23.23 per day
- From Bari to Florence - 182 offers from $19.63 per day
- From Bari to Rome - 177 offers from $19.63 per day
- From Bari to Catania - 183 offers from $19.63 per day
Top ways to enter Bari
- Bari Airport: Mostly active during summers, Bari Airport serves flights to and from destinations all across Europe, as well as in Turkey and Egypt.
- Brindisi Airport: Just 115 km (71 mi) down the coast, Brindisi Airport is served by more than 10 airlines.
- By sea: If you’re arriving by boat from another destination in Italy, or from Montenegro, Albania, or Croatia, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at Bari Airport.
- Bari is the capital of Apulia, a region inhabited by about 4,000,000 people.
- The city is made up of 9 quarters.
- Bari has a warm Mediterranean climate. Even in winter, the air temperature rarely drops below 10 °C ( 50 °F). The summers are dry and hot, with temperatures often exceeding 30 °C (85 °F), so staying properly hydrated is important.
Top destinations and activities
- The Basilica of Saint Nicolas. Dating back to the late 12th century, the Romanesque basilica is one of the oldest and most impressive churches in Bari. In addition to a distinctive-looking facade, the basilica is known for its opulent interior and many religious paintings. The church continues to fulfill its original function to this day and is an important pilgrimage destination.
- Castello Svevo. Also known as Houhenstaufen Castle, this impressive fortification dates back to when the medieval Normans ruled the city. Built in 1132, it was later also owned by the royal families of the Crown of Aragon, House of Anjou-Sicily, and Kingdom of Naples. Nowadays, the distinct rectangle castle frequently holds exhibitions and cultural events.
- Beaches. Bari is home to a number of public beaches, but the really nice spots can be found by traveling outside the city limits and up or down the coast. There are more lovely coastal towns and villages in the region than it would be possible to mention, but spots like Polignano a Mare (known for its spectacular clifftop location about a 40-minute drive to the south) and Molfetta (located on the scenic Gouvia Gul about 35 minutes to the north) are good places to start.
- Taste the local delicacies. Apulia is known for its olive oil, producing 40% of all of Italy’s olive oil. Sampling some varieties is one of the top things to do in Bari, and you can even visit an olive farm where you can see how this liquid gold is produced. Apulia also boasts delicious wine varieties, which you can sample at various vineyards in the area, such as Terre di San Vito.
- Find more things to see and do in the city in this Bari guide.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Matera. Capital of the neighboring Basilicata Province, Matera’s claim to fame are its numerous ancient cave dwellings known as Sassi. Allegedly inhabited for 9,000 years and therefore vastly preceding even the Roman Empire, the Sassi has been acknowledged as a World Heritage Site. The drive from Bari to Matera takes about one hour.
- Alberobello. Another unique destination with World Heritage status, Alberobello is known for Trulli, the distinct dry stone buildings with conical roofs. The unique structures date back to the 15th and 16th centuries and can only be found in this part of southern Italy. The drive from Bari to Alberobello takes 55 minutes.
- Alta Murgia National Park. Located in the interior part of Apulia, Alta Murgia is one of the most notable protected areas in this part of the country. Made up of grassy steppe, hills, woodlands, and a number of hiking trails, the park is a great place to relax and spend a long day outdoors. There are also landmarks like the Herbarium Museum, the Swabian Castle of Gravina, and a number of caves. The drive from Bari takes about an hour.
Most popular cars
Travelers most often pick the Fiat Panda, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500, while the most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Lecce. The second-largest city of Apulia, Lecce is also one of the region’s most interesting destinations. Sometimes called the Florence of the South, it is known for its many elegant buildings, as well as its Roman heritage of which the well-preserved amphitheater is emblematic. The drive from Bari takes about an hour and 40 minutes.
- The Amalfi Coast. Just an hour south of Naples, you’ll find the famous Amalfi Coast, with its windy roads, colorful cliffside villages, and nice beaches. Relax on the beach or hike on nearby hiking trails or through the hilly towns of places like Sorrento, Positano, and Ravello. The drive from Bari is about three and a half hours.
- Naples. Known for its grand city center, proximity to sites like Pompeii and Herculaneum, and, naturally, pizza, Naples is one of the most fascinating cities in all of Europe. A loud and sometimes hectic destination, Naples can overwhelm your senses, but it is definitely a place like no other. The drive from Bari takes about three and a half hours.
- Sicily. The largest island of Italy (and in the whole Mediterranean), Sicily is known for its distinct culture, famous cities like Palermo and Catania, hospitality, Mount Etna, and endless subtropical beaches. The drive from Bari to Messina, the gateway to the rest of the island and a worthy destination in its own right, takes about 5 hours and 30 minutes, but the long drive is worth it. Most car rental suppliers permit taking their cars on a ferry from the Italian mainland to Sicily, but you should nonetheless ask in advance.
Car Rental Prices in Bari
- Convertibles - from $7 per day
- Station wagons - from $11 per day
- Large cars - from $7 per day
- Medium cars - from $4 per day
- Vans - from $29 per day
- Premium cars - from $38 per day
- Small cars - from $4 per day
- SUVs - from $7 per day
There are ways to get a great rental car deal in Bari. Here’s how you start:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Bari is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 51% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Bari
Monopoli Car Rentals from $12.31 per day49.1 km / 30.5 miles away
Ostuni-Brindisi Car Rentals from $14.03 per day82.6 km / 51.3 miles away
96.1 km / 59.7 miles away
Foggia Car Rentals from $14.03 per day107.7 km / 66.9 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $4.11 per day112.9 km / 70.2 miles away
San Severo Car Rentals from $14.03 per day130.4 km / 81.0 miles away
Lecce Car Rentals from $12.30 per day149.7 km / 93.0 miles away
Benevento Car Rentals from $24.78 per day162.7 km / 101.1 miles away
Salerno Car Rentals from $11.86 per day175.0 km / 108.7 miles away
Pagani Car Rentals from $17.86 per day185.4 km / 115.2 miles away
Pompei Car Rentals from $10.19 per day195.2 km / 121.3 miles away
Caserta Car Rentals from $13.91 per day207.1 km / 128.7 miles away
Sorrento Car Rentals from $11.34 per day208.2 km / 129.4 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $2.35 per day209.3 km / 130.1 miles away
Crotone Car Rentals from $14.93 per day239.5 km / 148.8 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $5.49 per day252.1 km / 156.6 miles away
Pescara Car Rentals from $8.25 per day257.9 km / 160.3 miles away
Frosinone Car Rentals from $14.03 per day292.2 km / 181.6 miles away
Terracina Car Rentals from $14.36 per day295.2 km / 183.4 miles away
Reggio di Calabria Car Rentals from $8.13 per day354.0 km / 220.0 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Bari
Bari Airport Car Rentals from $4.26 per day
Bari Train Station Car Rentals from $14.71 per day9.3 km / 5.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.31 per day10.4 km / 6.5 miles away
Brindisi Airport Car Rentals from $4.11 per day112.9 km / 70.2 miles away
Lecce Train Station Car Rentals from $23.39 per day147.4 km / 91.6 miles away
Salerno Train Station Car Rentals from $14.71 per day175.0 km / 108.7 miles away
Naples Airport Car Rentals from $2.35 per day209.3 km / 130.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $6.49 per day210.9 km / 131.0 miles away
Napoli Port Car Rentals from $14.71 per day213.1 km / 132.4 miles away
Lamezia Terme Airport Car Rentals from $5.83 per day252.1 km / 156.6 miles away
Pescara Airport Car Rentals from $8.25 per day257.9 km / 160.3 miles away
Rome Airport Ciampino Car Rentals from $6.17 per day354.9 km / 220.5 miles away
359.7 km / 223.5 miles away
Rome Tiburtina Train station Car Rentals from $9.47 per day362.8 km / 225.4 miles away
Rome Termini Train Station Car Rentals from $5.85 per day364.5 km / 226.5 miles away
Rome Centre Villa Borghese Car Rentals from $14.03 per day366.2 km / 227.5 miles away
368.6 km / 229.0 miles away
Rome Via Aurelia Car Rentals from $13.94 per day371.0 km / 230.5 miles away
Rome Airport Fiumicino Car Rentals from $1.88 per day383.1 km / 238.0 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $8.13 per day392.3 km / 243.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Bari?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Bari?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Bari?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||7|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, Drivalia, Filorent, Italy Car Rent, Sicily By Car|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$4 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Filorent||Renault Twingo||5||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Italy Car Rent||Volkswagen T-Roc||5||3||SUVs|
|RentalPlus||Ford Fiesta||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.