Car Rental Leeds
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Leeds?
Leeds is a fascinating city to explore. Although best known for its industrial heritage, the city has massively developed during the last couple of decades and is now a large center of finance, culture, and innovation. From beautiful architecture to high-class restaurants, it has plenty of things and activities to keep even the most demanding visitor excited.
Top ways to enter Leeds
- Leeds Bradford Airport: Serving the two large cities of West Yorkshire, Leeds-Bradford is the 15th-busiest airport in the United Kingdom. Ten different airlines fly to and from the airport as of July 2019, and it handles about four million passengers annually. The airport is just 13km (8miles) northwest of the city center of Leeds and can be reached in 20-30 minutes, depending on the traffic.
- Manchester Airport: The busiest British airport outside of London, Manchester Airport handled 28 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large base for a number of airlines including some low-cost carriers. Located 92km (57 miles) southwest of Leeds, it can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Liverpool Airport: Another airport in the northwest of England, Liverpool-John Lennon is a large base for the low-cost companies easyJet, Wizz Air, and Ryanair. The airport is located 116km (72 miles) from Leeds, a distance that can be traveled in 1 hour and 45 minutes by car.
- East Midlands Airport: Serving not just a single city, but the larger region of East Midlands, this airport is nearly equidistant from Derby, Nottingham, and Leicester. East Midlands Airport is especially active during the summer months when it offers many flights to and from Southern European countries like Spain, Italy, and Greece. Located 129km (80 miles) south of Leeds, it can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Newcastle Airport: Located in Newcastle upon Tyne not far from England’s border with Scotland, this international airport serves more than five million travelers every year. A focus city for a number of low-cost companies, including Jet2.com, easyJet, and Ryanair, it provides flights to a large number of European countries, and even some destinations in North America. Located 167km (104 miles) north of Leeds, the airport can be reached in just under two hours.
- By rail: If you arrive in Leeds by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Leeds Station.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of England, Leeds has an oceanic climate with mild winters, cool summers, and little temperature changes between the seasons. The average high temperature is 20°C (68°F) in July and August, the warmest months, and 6°C (43°F) in January and February. August is the rainiest month while February is the driest.
- The population of Leeds is about 790,000, but another 1,1 million people live in the larger West Yorkshire Urban Area. Also including Bradford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, and other nearby cities from the region, it is the largest urban area in Yorkshire and the fourth-largest in the United Kingdom.
Top destinations and activities
- Millenium Square. The city’s central square is the beating heart of Leeds and what most English people have in mind when they think of the city. The square hosts a number of attractions including galleries and concert venues, as well as some of the city’s prettiest architecture like the Leeds Civic Hall. Many other landmarks of Leeds are within walking distance from the square.
- Victoria Quarter. Shopping districts usually don’t differ much from one city to the next, but the one in Leeds is very much an exception. The area was renewed in 1990 to resemble the historic Victorian district of the same name. Made up of shopping arcades with glass roofs, floor mosaics, marble columns, and encrusted facades, the quarter is very much worth a visit even if you’re not looking to buy anything.
- Leeds City Museum. Located in one of the most impressive buildings in the city, the museum is made up of a number of exhibits. Some of those are the Life on Earth gallery of natural history; Ancient Worlds gallery with relics from the ancient Roman, Greek, and Egyptian civilizations; and Leeds Story gallery focusing on the city’s long and interesting history from prehistoric times to the medieval era, the industrial revolution, and the present day. Leeds City Museum celebrated its 200th birthday in 2019, with many special events dedicated to the celebration.
Traffic and parking tips
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and next to red lines is illegal).
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112km/h (70mph) on motorways, 112km/h (70mph) on dual carriageways, 96km/h (60mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30mph) in residential areas and areas with street lighting.
- In England and Wales, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Do keep in mind, however, that in Scotland the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the registration of the car need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Currently there is only a single toll road in the United Kingdom, the M6 toll. You also have to pay a toll for using a number of bridges and tunnels, as well as for entering the central areas of London and Durham (a city in North East England).
As an alternative to the M6 around Birmingham, the M6toll is a 43km (27 miles) long portion of the road, also known as the Birmingham North Relief Road (BNRR), that relieves congestion on the M6 itself. There are toll gates where you can pay by either cash or credit card. As of March 2019, the price is £6.40 for using the toll road from Monday to Friday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), £5.30 for using the toll road on Saturday or Sunday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), and £4.10 for using the toll road at night time on any day (from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.). Find out more on the M6 Toll official website.
Find out more about toll roads in the United Kingdom on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Sheffield. Known as the Steel City thanks to its impressive metalworking past, Sheffield has lately tried to reinvent itself as a music and culture center. Consequently, it has a wide array of landmarks from Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet to Graves Gallery, Kelham Island Museum and even the National Videogame Museum. The city is also not short on impressive architecture like Sheffield Anglican Cathedral and Arts Tower. Located 58km (36 miles) south of Leeds, Sheffield can be reached in about 50 minutes.
- York. York is a must-see English city for any history buff. One of the last remaining walled cities of Britain, it was founded by the Romans in the 1st century AD and has been an important political, trading, and cultural center ever since. Landmarks include Clifford’s Tower, Jorvik Viking Center, and York Minster, the largest Gothic cathedral in Europe. Among more contemporary attractions is the awesome National Railway Museum. Just 38km (24 miles) northeast of Leeds, York can be reached in about 40 minutes.
- Kingston upon Hull. Often called simply Hull after the river on which it is located, this northern English city is rich in medieval, nautical, and industrial heritage. There’s plenty to enjoy here, from the beautiful Queen’s Gardens and the Maritime Museum (former Whaling Museum) to Ferens Art Gallery and the Streetlife Museum of Transport. Hull is located near the coast of the North Sea which you can easily travel to with a rental car. Located 101km (63 miles) northeast of Leeds, the city can be reached in about 80 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car Leeds is Vauxhall Corsa. Many travelers also pick the Vauxhall Astra and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
- Liverpool. Liverpool is world-famous as the birthplace of The Beatles and the city has plenty of landmarks and tours related to the band’s history. But there are other attractions, too, like the Liverpool docklands area, St. George’s Hall, Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, and one of the largest Chinatowns in Europe. Located just 119km (74 miles) southwest of Leeds and reached within 1 hour and 30 minutes, Liverpool is very much worth a visit.
- Peak District National Park. A large upland of moors, hills, gorges, and waters, the Peak District is a vast protected area southwest of Leeds. There is a network of hiking paths, and travelers can also try activities like mountain biking, boating, or paragliding. The park is home to wildlife species like the short-eared owl, European polecat, and red deer. The nearest corner of the park is around just 50km (31 miles) from Leeds and can be reached in about 45 minutes.
- Scotland. With its long coastline, many national parks, majestic highlands, and deep mountain lakes, Scotland remains home to some of Europe’s wildest and most impressive nature. But there are cities, too, from coastal Aberdeen to fun Glasgow and classy, historic Edinburgh. The latter, the capital of Scotland, is 350km (218 miles) north of Leeds and can be reached in under four hours. You can explore the rest of Scotland from there.
Car Rental Prices in Leeds
- Station wagons - from $57 per day
- Large cars - from $54 per day
- Medium cars - from $52 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $75 per day
- Small cars - from $35 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to land a good rental car in Leeds:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Leeds is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 60% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Yorkshire in early springtime!
Top 20 Cities near Leeds
London Car Rentals from $32.92 per day286.8 km / 178.2 miles away
Edinburgh Car Rentals from $14.35 per day256.3 km / 159.2 miles away
Birmingham Car Rentals from $28.06 per day157.1 km / 97.6 miles away
Manchester Car Rentals from $16.60 per day69.9 km / 43.4 miles away
Glasgow Car Rentals from $11.85 per day285.0 km / 177.1 miles away
Luton Car Rentals from $19.42 per day237.8 km / 147.8 miles away
Belfast Car Rentals from $23.58 per day286.1 km / 177.8 miles away
Bristol Car Rentals from $15.37 per day285.1 km / 177.1 miles away
Liverpool Car Rentals from $14.32 per day98.3 km / 61.1 miles away
Inverness Car Rentals from $49.11 per day435.2 km / 270.4 miles away
East Midlands Car Rentals from $11.74 per day117.2 km / 72.8 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $15.70 per day130.3 km / 81.0 miles away
Cardiff Car Rentals from $27.95 per day297.1 km / 184.6 miles away
Southampton Car Rentals from $25.61 per day324.9 km / 201.9 miles away
Aberdeen Car Rentals from $22.12 per day372.7 km / 231.6 miles away
Bournemouth Car Rentals from $29.77 per day343.4 km / 213.4 miles away
Exeter Car Rentals from $23.58 per day368.0 km / 228.7 miles away
Norwich Car Rentals from $27.95 per day236.2 km / 146.8 miles away
Dundee Car Rentals from $43.43 per day300.4 km / 186.7 miles away
61.3 km / 38.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Leeds
Leeds, Downtown Car Rentals from $27.95 per day
Leeds Bradford Airport Car Rentals from $27.22 per day10.8 km / 6.7 miles away
Manchester Airport Car Rentals from $16.60 per day68.6 km / 42.7 miles away
Humberside Airport Car Rentals from $27.95 per day82.5 km / 51.3 miles away
Liverpool Airport Car Rentals from $14.32 per day100.1 km / 62.2 miles away
East Midlands Airport Car Rentals from $11.74 per day108.2 km / 67.2 miles away
Newcastle Airport Car Rentals from $15.70 per day138.5 km / 86.0 miles away
Birmingham New Street Railway Station Car Rentals from $27.87 per day148.3 km / 92.2 miles away
Birmingham Airport Car Rentals from $28.06 per day149.7 km / 93.0 miles away
Isle of Man Airport Car Rentals from $64.23 per day203.9 km / 126.7 miles away
Norwich Airport Car Rentals from $27.95 per day225.7 km / 140.3 miles away
Luton Airport Car Rentals from $19.42 per day227.7 km / 141.5 miles away
London Stansted Airport Car Rentals from $8.49 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Edinburgh Airport Car Rentals from $14.35 per day266.5 km / 165.6 miles away
London Heathrow Airport Car Rentals from $11.92 per day267.9 km / 166.5 miles away
London St Pancras Railway Station Car Rentals from $40.14 per day269.3 km / 167.3 miles away
London Marylebone Railway Station Car Rentals from $32.92 per day269.4 km / 167.4 miles away
London Euston Railway Station Car Rentals from $33.33 per day269.5 km / 167.4 miles away
London Paddington Railway Station Car Rentals from $32.92 per day269.7 km / 167.6 miles away
London Stratford Railway Station Car Rentals from $54.90 per day271.3 km / 168.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Leeds?
What’s the usual rental length in Leeds?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Leeds?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||4||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||VAUXHALL CORSA||2||2||Small cars|
|Europcar||Vauxhall Corsa||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Mercedes Benz A Class||5||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Easirent||VW Touran||4||2||People Carriers / Vans|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 8 Suppliers for Leeds in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email