Car Hire in Spain
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Spain?
Spain is a fun destination to discover by car. A diverse country that is home to different unique regions and landscapes, it would be a waste to limit your travels here to just one corner of it. Although the country is quite large, the road network is in good shape and it’s easy to visit different cities, regions, and nature attractions on the same trip.
This article is about the mainland Spain. For information about Mallorca and the other Balearic Islands, see the article of the Balearic Islands. For information about the Canary Islands, see the article of Canary Islands.
If you want to know more about hiring a car in Spain, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Hire in Spain
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in Spain and drop off in another country:
- From Spain to Portugal - 426 offers from £ 35.93 per day
- From Spain to France - 584 offers from £ 48.39 per day
- From Spain to Italy - 271 offers from £ 150.35 per day
- From Spain to United Kingdom - 137 offers from £ 185.88 per day
- From Spain to Belgium - 172 offers from £ 94.82 per day
Top ways to enter Spain
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport: The main airport of Catalonia region serves flights to and from countless destinations in Europe, as well as the Americas, Africa, and Asia.
- Malaga Airport: The main hub not only for Malaga, but also for the rest of Andalusia and Southern Spain.
- Madrid Barajas Airport: Spain’s largest airport is one of the busiest in Europe, serving more than 50 million passengers per year.
- Alicante Airport: Modern yet cozy, Alicante Airport is popular with low-cost airlines and offers access to the wider Valencian Community.
- By land: If your car hire provider permits it, it’s possible to hire a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Spain. Some large international airports near Spain are Lisbon Airport and Porto Airport in Portugal, as well as Nice Airport and Bordeaux Airport in France.
Top cities and places to visit
- Madrid. Although located several hundred kilometres from what makes Spain attractive to many visitors - namely, the coast - Madrid is nonetheless one of the most impressive capitals of Europe and should be visited at least once. The city is home to the trinity of world-famous art museums (Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen-Bornemisza), as well as landmarks like the Royal Palace and Cybeles Square.
- Barcelona. The capital of Catalonia, Barcelona is another world-class city destination. Characterized by the unique architecture of Antoni Gaudi, the city is also a joy when it comes to cuisine, culture, football, public beaches, and nightlife.
- Granada. Located in south-central Andalusia, Granada is one of the most interesting cities in Spain. Its main attraction is undoubtedly the Alhambra, the palatial complex that dates back to the Moorish times and is one of the most impressive architectural structures in Europe. Other landmarks include the Royal Chapel, the historical neighbourhood of Albayzin, and Cartuja Monastery.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Spain is the Ford Fiesta, but travelers tend to also choose the Fiat 500 and the Ford Focus a lot.
Driving licence requirements
- Spain recognizes the driver’s licenses of all the member states of the European Economic Association (EEA). Spain also recognizes other foreign driver’s licenses that are printed in a Latin script, provided that you are visiting as a tourist on a trip shorter than 6 months. If you’re staying in the country for a longer period or are residing there permanently, you need to obtain a local license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in another alphabet than Latin (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) too.
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you also need to keep your original license on you as you will be required to provide both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some car hire suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Spain is bordered by Portugal, France, and Andorra. Like Spain, Portugal and France are members of the Schengen Area, so the same entry requirements that apply for Spain will also be in place to enter these other two countries. Andorra is not a member of Schengen Area, but its entry requirements are, in practice, the same as those for entering Schengen members.
The autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla are part of Spain, but are physically located in North Africa and bordered by Morocco. Morocco is not a member of the Schengen Area and has its own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter it. It's probably a good idea to find out in advance to find out if you need a visa to visit Morocco.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Help Center.
Most popular types of hire car
The most popular car type in Spain is an Economy, followed by compact and mini.
Top driving routes
- The Sierra Nevada. Not to be confused by its namesake in California, the Sierra Nevada is the highest mountain range in continental Spain, with its highest peak, Mulhacén, reaching 3,479 m (11,414 feet). A prime destination of skiing and snowboarding in winter and hiking in the summer, the Sierra Nevada can be easily reached from the large Andalusian cities of Granada, Almeria, and Malaga.
- Cantabria. Sometimes overlooked by foreign visitors, the wild and verdant region of Cantabria can be a wonderful off-the-beaten-path destination to explore. Located in the northern part of the country, it is known for its rugged, beautiful nature, great surfing in the Bay of Biscay, and the Altamira Caves and Museum with drawings that date back more than 35,000 years.
- Basque country. Located to the west of Cantabria, the Basque Country is another great northern destination to explore. Home of a proud and unique culture — the Basque language is unrelated to any other living tongue — Euskadi is known for cities like Bilbao (the home of the Guggenheim Museum) and San Sebastian, as well as the stunning mountainscapes of the Pyrenees.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 2 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 6 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 3 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 2 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 5 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 1 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 2 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in Spain:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Spain is the cheapest in June when hiring a car is about 27% cheaper than the yearly average and 40% cheaper than hiring a car in July.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Spain
Car Hire in Malaga starting at £ 1.10 per day
Car Hire in Alicante starting at £ 1.91 per day
Car Hire in Barcelona starting at £ 1.65 per day
Car Hire in Madrid starting at £ 2.41 per day
Car Hire in Valencia starting at £ 1.77 per day
Car Hire in Seville starting at £ 1.19 per day
Car Hire in Bilbao starting at £ 4.11 per day
Car Hire in Girona starting at £ 2.76 per day
Car Hire in Santiago de Compostela starting at £ 3.66 per day
Car Hire in Murcia starting at £ 2.18 per day
Car Hire in Santander starting at £ 9.78 per day
Car Hire in Granada starting at £ 9.30 per day
Car Hire in Almeria starting at £ 8.39 per day
Car Hire in Reus starting at £ 6.72 per day
Car Hire in Jerez starting at £ 5.18 per day
Car Hire in Gibraltar starting at £ 8.51 per day
Car Hire in Benidorm starting at £ 14.82 per day
Car Hire in Torrevieja starting at £ 14.82 per day
Car Hire in Nerja starting at £ 16.82 per day
Car Hire in Calella starting at £ 47.18 per day
Top 16 Most Popular Destinations in Spain
Car Hire at Malaga Airport starting at £ 1.10 per day
Car Hire at Alicante Airport starting at £ 1.91 per day
Car Hire at Barcelona Airport starting at £ 1.65 per day
Car Hire at Madrid Airport starting at £ 2.41 per day
Car Hire at Valencia Airport starting at £ 1.77 per day
Car Hire at Seville Airport starting at £ 1.19 per day
Car Hire at Bilbao Airport starting at £ 4.11 per day
Car Hire at Girona Airport starting at £ 2.76 per day
Car Hire at Santiago de Compostela Airport starting at £ 3.66 per day
Car Hire at Region de Murcia International Airport starting at £ 2.18 per day
Car Hire at Almeria Airport starting at £ 8.39 per day
Car Hire at Jerez Airport starting at £ 5.18 per day
Car Hire at Granada Airport starting at £ 9.30 per day
Car Hire at Reus Airport starting at £ 6.72 per day
Car Hire at Gibraltar La Linea Airport starting at £ 8.51 per day
Car Hire in Malaga (Downtown) starting at £ 10.72 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Spain the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Spain?
Which month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Spain?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||277|
|Popular suppliers||Record-go, Goldcar, Centauro, Delpaso, Ok Mobility|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 1 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Delpaso||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.