Car Hire in Spain
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Spain?
Spain is a fun destination to discover by car. A diverse country that is home to different unique regions and landscapes, it would be a waste to limit your travels here to just one corner of it. Although the country is quite large, the road network is in good shape and it’s easy to visit different cities, regions, and nature attractions on the same trip.
This article is about the mainland Spain. For information about Mallorca and the other Balearic Islands, see the article of the Balearic Islands. For information about the Canary Islands, see the article of Canary Islands.
If you want to know more about hiring a car in Spain, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Hire in Spain
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in Spain and drop off in another country:
- From Spain to Portugal - 426 offers from £ 35.54 per day
- From Spain to France - 584 offers from £ 47.87 per day
- From Spain to Italy - 271 offers from £ 148.74 per day
- From Spain to United Kingdom - 137 offers from £ 183.88 per day
- From Spain to Belgium - 172 offers from £ 93.80 per day
Top ways to enter Spain
- Barcelona-El Prat Airport: The main airport of Catalonia region serves flights to and from countless destinations in Europe, as well as the Americas, Africa, and Asia.
- Malaga Airport: The main hub not only for Malaga, but also for the rest of Andalusia and Southern Spain.
- Madrid Barajas Airport: Spain’s largest airport is one of the busiest in Europe, serving more than 50 million passengers per year.
- Alicante Airport: Modern yet cozy, Alicante Airport is popular with low-cost airlines and offers access to the wider Valencian Community.
- By land: If your car hire provider permits it, it’s possible to hire a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Spain. Some large international airports near Spain are Lisbon Airport and Porto Airport in Portugal, as well as Nice Airport and Bordeaux Airport in France.
Top cities and places to visit
- Barcelona: Home to everything from iconic architecture to delicious cuisine, grand history, and sandy beaches, the real attraction of Barcelona is its atmosphere as this city truly is more than the sum of its parts.
- Madrid: Busy yet classy, Madrid has the grandeur of a true metropolis, and is home to distinct neighborhoods, countless landmarks, world-famous art museums, and lively culture scene.
- Andalusia: Many travelers know Andalusia best for its extensive Mediterranean and Atlantic Coast, but its wild nature areas, as well as stunning historic cities like Granada and Cordoba that still hold traces of its Moorish past, deserve just as much attention.
- Basque Coast: Bordering France in the northeastern corner of Spain, the Basque Coast is home to a proud culture, beautiful cities like San Sebastian and Bilbao, fantastic food, and rugged Biscay Coast.
- Galicia: Culturally related to their next door Portuguese neighbors and with a terrain that some think resemble Scotland more than Barcelona, Galicia is a unique destination. Less busy than some other regions of the country and beautifully green, it is best enjoyed at a relaxed pace.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Spain is the Ford Fiesta, but travelers tend to also choose the Fiat 500 and the Ford Focus a lot.
Spain is bordered by Portugal, France, and Andorra. Like Spain, Portugal and France are members of the Schengen Area, so the same entry requirements that apply for Spain will also be in place to enter these other two countries. Andorra is not a member of Schengen Area, but its entry requirements are, in practice, the same as those for entering Schengen members.
The autonomous cities of Ceuta and Melilla are part of Spain, but are physically located in North Africa and bordered by Morocco. Morocco is not a member of the Schengen Area and has its own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter it. It's probably a good idea to find out in advance to find out if you need a visa to visit Morocco.
Most popular types of hire car
The most popular car type in Spain is an Economy, followed by compact and mini.
Top driving routes
- Barcelona - Madrid (624 km / 388 mi) The route between the Spain’s two largest cities can be done in about six hours and will take you through rural areas of Catalonia, Aragon, and Castile-la-Mancha, parts that are not often visited by international tourists, but are fascinating to explore.
- Malaga - Lisbon (672 km / 417 mi) The route from Andalusia to Portugal’s capital is best done at a leisurely pace, giving yourself plenty of time to explore the south of Spain, as well as the beautiful regions of Algarve and Alentejo across the border. Ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the border.
- Barcelona - Rome (1,361 km / 846 mi) A surprisingly large number of travelers choose to go from Barcelona all the way to the capital of Italy, visiting Occitanie and Provence in France, as well as the Italian regions of Liguria and Tuscany on the way. Note that you’ll have to cross two national borders, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it. If you’d like to enter the Principality of Monaco, a sovereign micro-state that is on the way, you can do so with a Schengen Visa.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 43 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 24 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 23 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 45 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 80 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 17 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 35 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in Spain:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Spain is the cheapest in June when hiring a car is about 27% cheaper than the yearly average and 40% cheaper than hiring a car in July.
Top 15 Most Popular Cities in Spain
Car Hire in Barcelona starting at £ 6.34 per day
Car Hire in Malaga starting at £ 1.01 per day
Car Hire in Valencia starting at £ 10.64 per day
Car Hire in Seville starting at £ 2.94 per day
Car Hire in Bilbao starting at £ 9.16 per day
Car Hire in Santiago de Compostela starting at £ 6.86 per day
Car Hire in Girona starting at £ 8.92 per day
Car Hire in Santander starting at £ 12.75 per day
Car Hire in A Coruña starting at £ 14.76 per day
Car Hire in Granada starting at £ 5.92 per day
Car Hire in Jerez starting at £ 10.00 per day
Car Hire in Vigo starting at £ 15.51 per day
Car Hire in Almeria starting at £ 15.52 per day
Top 10 Most Popular Destinations in Spain
Car Hire at Malaga Airport starting at £ 1.01 per day
Car Hire at Barcelona Airport starting at £ 6.34 per day
Car Hire at Alicante Airport starting at £ 2.11 per day
Car Hire at Madrid Airport starting at £ 4.73 per day
Car Hire at Valencia Airport starting at £ 4.42 per day
Car Hire at Seville Airport starting at £ 2.94 per day
Car Hire at Bilbao Airport starting at £ 5.34 per day
Car Hire at Santiago de Compostela Airport starting at £ 6.86 per day
Car Hire at Jerez Airport starting at £ 10.00 per day
Car Hire at Girona Airport starting at £ 8.92 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Spain?
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Spain?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Spain?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Record-go||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Delpaso||Seat Ibiza||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500||2||2||Small cars|
|Click&Rent||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Delpaso||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Seat Leon||5||2||Medium cars|