Car Rental in the Canary Islands
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in the Canary Islands?
Canary Islands are a great place for renting a car. Unique in landscape and populated by hospital and proud people, whether you choose to go to Tenerife, Gran Canaria, or one of the other islands, you won’t end up disappointed.
Top ways to enter Canary Islands
- Gran Canaria Airport: Also known as Gran Canaria-Gando, the busiest airport in the Canary Islands handled more than 13 million travelers in 2019. Served by around 40 different airlines, the airport is a large hub for the low-cost carriers Vueling and Norwegian Air. In addition to European connections, the airport has flights to and from Senegal, Gambia, and Cape Verde in the nearby West Africa.
- Tenerife South Airport: The busiest of the two Tenerife international airports, it handled over 11 million travelers in 2019. The airport is served by more than 30 different airlines, many of which fly to and from Tenerife for the whole year.
- Tenerife North Airport: Located near Santa Cruz, the largest city on Tenerife, this airport handles about 5.5 million travelers every year. Tenerife North has flights by 13 different airlines, with most of the traffic provided by Vueling, CanaryFly, and Binter Canarias.
- Lanzarote Airport: Also known as César Manrique-Lanzarote, the main airport of the northernmost of the Canary Islands handled over seven million travelers in 2019. The airport is served by more than 20 airlines, providing flights to and from such varied destinations as the United Kingdom, Germany, and Finland.
- Fuerteventura Airport: Fuerteventura-El Matorral handles about six million travelers annually. The airport has flights by nearly 30 different airlines, including low-cost carriers like easyJet, Wizz Air, and Volotea.
- La Palma Airport: Located on the southeastern coast of the island, La Palma Airport handled around 1.5 million travelers in 2019. The airport has flights by 14 different airlines, providing connections with destinations like Madrid, Amsterdam, London, and Berlin.
- La Gomera Airport: Serving the picturesque island of the same name, La Gomera Airport has flights, provided by Binter Canarias, to and from only two destinations, the islands of Tenerife and Gran Canaria. This makes La Gomera accessible from mainland Europe with a layover in one of the aforementioned islands.
- El Hierro Airport: The westernmost of the Canary Islands has flights by only two airlines, Binter Canarias and CanaryFly. Like La Gomera Airport, it only has direct connections to the other Canary Islands, but a layover in Tenerife or Gran Canaria is a possibility.
- By sea: Each one of the seven Canary Islands has at least one passenger ferry port. It is a good idea to look up the schedules and book tickets in advance; services are much more frequent during the warm months of the year, but tickets are also sold out more quickly. Most ferry companies permit bringing a rental car on board, but you should make sure in advance. You should also ask your rental car provider if they permit island-hopping with a vehicle.
Top cities and places to visit
- Tenerife. The largest and most populous of the Canaries is also the most popular tourism destination in the archipelago. Famous for its developed, built-up coastline, entertainment opportunities, and Mount Teide, the third largest active volcano in the world, Tenerife is visited by around five million travelers every year, more than five times the number of its permanent population.
- Gran Canaria. The second-largest of the Canary Islands also has the highest population density, but getting a rental car gives you an opportunity to escape the crowds and see some of Gran Canaria’s picturesque highlights. These include Palmitos Park, mountains of Valsequillo and small surfing and diving spots on the northern coast of the island.
- Fuerteventura. The second-largest island in the archipelago, Fuerteventura remains an uncharted territory if compared to Tenerife and Gran Canaria. Sparsely populated, it is home to beautiful beaches, ancient mountain villages, and some of the best kitesurfing opportunities on both sides of the Atlantic.
- Lanzarote. The easternmost of the Canaries, Lanzarote is heavily influenced by the Saharan winds coming from the nearby North Africa that contribute to its otherworldly volcanic landscapes. Other highlights of Lanzarote include the Timanfaya National Park, volcanic caves of Haria, and the nearby island of Graciosa.
- La Palma. Located in the northwestern part of the archipelago, La Palma offers a great blend of quiet, relaxed atmosphere and great tourism infrastructure. There’s plenty to see, too, from beautiful lighthouses to Ruta de los Volcanes, a scenic hiking route.
- La Gomera. Known for its unique whistling language, La Gomera is the perfect nature tourism destination. The island is full of impressive ravines, thick forests, and rugged, dramatic beaches. San Sebastian, La Gomera’s cute capital, is worth a look, too.
- El Hierro. The smallest, least populated, and southernmost of the seven main Canary islands, El Hierro is a true off-the-beaten-path destination. El Hierro’s nature is as impressive as anywhere you’ll find in the archipelago, and the island also has impressive volcanic lava tubes that you can visit by joining a tour.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in the Canary Islands is the Kia Picanto. Travelers also like the VW Polo and the Renault Clio.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in the Canary Islands is an economy, followed by mini and compact.
Top driving routes
Santa Cruz - Los Cristianos (76 km / 47 mi) The route between Tenerife’s largest city and Los Cristianos can be done in less than one hour. It will take you along the island’s western shore for much of the way.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $78 per day
- Station wagons - from $28 per day
- Large cars - from $48 per day
- Medium cars - from $36 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $73 per day
- Premium cars - from $92 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $83 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in the Canary Islands:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting the Canary Islands is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 27% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 8 Most Popular Cities Canary Islands
Car Rental in Tenerife from $35.92 per day
Car Rental in Gran Canaria from $17.85 per day
Car Rental in Lanzarote from $23.97 per day
Car Rental in Fuerteventura from $13.97 per day
Car Rental in La Palma from $10.81 per day
Car Rental in El Hierro from $33.38 per day
Car Rental in La Gomera from $23.97 per day
Car Rental in Playa del Ingles from $23.97 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Canary Islands
Car Rental at Tenerife Airport South from $7.63 per day
Car Rental at Gran Canaria Airport from $5.56 per day
Car Rental Tenerife North Airport from $16.14 per day
Car Rental at Lanzarote Airport from $23.97 per day
Car Rental at Fuerteventura Airport from $13.97 per day
Car Rental at La Palma Airport from $14.61 per day
Car Rental at El Hierro Airport from $33.38 per day
Car Rental at La Gomera Airport from $23.97 per day
Car Rental in Lanzarote, Arrecife Port from $22.74 per day
Car Rental in Tenerife (Downtown) from $35.92 per day
Car Rental in Lanzarote (Downtown) from $22.74 per day
Car Rental in Tenerife (Downtown) from $8.69 per day
Car Rental in La Palma (Downtown) from $10.81 per day
Car Rental in Gran Canaria (Downtown) from $17.85 per day
Car Rental in Lanzarote (Downtown) from $13.89 per day
Car Rental in Fuerteventura (Downtown) from $33.38 per day
Car Rental in Tenerife (Downtown) from $23.97 per day
Car Rental in Fuerteventura (Downtown) from $23.97 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in the Canary Islands?
What’s the average rental length in the Canary Islands?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in the Canary Islands?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Orlando||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Offer Car Hire||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Orlando||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Orlando||Renault Clio||3||2||Small cars|
|Orlando||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 2 Suppliers in the Canary Islands in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email