Car Hire in Barcelona
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Barcelona?
The capital of Catalonia and Spain’s second-largest, Barcelona is not just politically important, it is also one of Europe’s most exciting cities to visit. More than La Rambla and Gaudi, the city is a true cultural metropolis, and also offers access to a wealth of interesting Catalan day-trip destinations.
One-way Car Hire in Barcelona
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Barcelona and drop off in another city include:
- From Barcelona to Madrid - 361 offers from £ 5.98 per day
- From Barcelona to Malaga - 467 offers from £ 5.98 per day
- From Barcelona to Valencia - 376 offers from £ 5.98 per day
- From Barcelona to Alicante - 225 offers from £ 5.98 per day
- From Barcelona to Seville - 438 offers from £ 5.98 per day
Top ways to enter Barcelona
- Barcelona Airport. Serving over 50 million travellers annually before the pandemic hit, Barcelona El Prat is one of the busiest airports in all of Southern Europe. The airport is just 15 km (9 miles) southwest of the city centre, a trip that can be made in about 25 minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Architecture of Gaudí. Love it, loathe it, or simply remain deeply perplexed by it, there’s no denying that the buildings designed by Antoni Gaudí are a big part of the Barcelona experience. Naturally, the Sagrada Família is the most famous work by the Catalan visionary, but there’s also La Pedrera, Casa Batlló, and many other imaginative buildings to explore.
- Gothic Quarter. The oldest area of the old town of Barcelona, El Gòtic is one of the most distinctive parts of the city. The area has plenty of famous landmarks, not least the Palau Reial Major complex (the former residence of Aragonese kings) and La Mercè Basilica, but the main draw of the quarter is its timeless ambience.
- Camp Nou. Barcelona is a city very rich in architecture and art, but one of its main jewels is, in fact, its largest football club, FC Barcelona. Although having acquired an increasingly global face over the last two decades, it started out as a symbol of Catalanism and solidarity, and as such retains an important place in the local culture. It’s a great idea to go to a match at Camp Nou, the home stadium which is the largest in Europe, but a visit to the club’s museum is also worth it.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limits are 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance always have to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers
- The emergency number is 112.
- There parking areas in Barcelona can be generally divided into three parking types: free parking, the Green Area and the Blue Area. Do note that some paid parking areas may become free at the weekend.
- The Green Area (Àrea Verda) can be recognized by green painted lines. The price will vary depending on the location. You cannot park in the Green Area for more than 1 or 2 hours.
- The Blue Area (Àrea Blava) is a paid parking area for everyone, with time limits varying between 1 and 4 hours depending on the place. If you want to park here, you must purchase a ticket at the machines on the sidewalk and place it in a visible area of your car.
- There are also free parking opportunities in Barcelona. Although many are not in the city centre, you may find a lot of them convenient. Some examples are: the subterranean parking of supermarket La Maquinista (Calle Potosí, 2), the area next to Parc Ciutadella (Calle de Ramón Turro), Montjuic area close to Fundación Miro and area around Calle Icaria
- There are also many paid car parks in Barcelona, varying in price and proximity to the city centre. Look up the one that might suit you the best on the official website.
Most of the roads in Spain are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment methods vary depending on the road, but most accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for day trips
- Lleida. Most visitors to Catalonia tend to stay close to the coast, but the interior of the region can be just as rewarding to visit. One such fascinating destination is Lleida — a city inhabited since prehistory and later important for Romans which offers plenty of ancient landmarks and ambience, not to mention the access to the idyllic countryside that surrounds it. The drive from Barcelona will take just under two hours.
- Girona. The capital of the northernmost province of Catalonia, Girona is so much more than just its airport which is favoured by low-cost carriers. Known for its long and varied history, it is home to the Arab Baths (now turned into a museum) and one of the best-preserved Jewish quarters in Europe. Located an 80-minute drive from Barcelona, Girona also provides access to the pristine Costa Brava region.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Barcelona is the Seat Leon, followed by the Fiat Panda and the Fiat 500. The most popular car types are mini, economy, and compact.
Car Hire Prices in Barcelona
- Convertibles - starting at £ 13 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 16 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 15 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 7 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 13 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 32 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 7 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 7 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your hired vehicle:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Barcelona is the cheapest in January.
Top 20 Cities near Barcelona
Calella Car Hire starting at £ 46.73 per day59.5 km / 37.0 miles away
Santa Susanna Car Hire starting at £ 46.73 per day65.3 km / 40.6 miles away
Reus Car Hire starting at £ 6.55 per day78.0 km / 48.5 miles away
Girona Car Hire starting at £ 8.13 per day87.9 km / 54.6 miles away
Valencia Car Hire starting at £ 5.32 per day295.6 km / 183.7 miles away
Benissa Car Hire starting at £ 24.32 per day334.5 km / 207.8 miles away
Benidorm Car Hire starting at £ 13.01 per day359.2 km / 223.2 miles away
Alicante Car Hire starting at £ 3.38 per day403.6 km / 250.8 miles away
Torrevieja Car Hire starting at £ 13.01 per day437.7 km / 272.0 miles away
Bilbao Car Hire starting at £ 7.34 per day466.8 km / 290.1 miles away
Murcia Car Hire starting at £ 5.19 per day475.9 km / 295.7 miles away
Madrid Car Hire starting at £ 8.40 per day483.1 km / 300.2 miles away
Santander Car Hire starting at £ 14.34 per day539.2 km / 335.0 miles away
Almeria Car Hire starting at £ 13.34 per day626.6 km / 389.4 miles away
Granada Car Hire starting at £ 11.04 per day680.1 km / 422.6 miles away
Nerja Car Hire starting at £ 28.14 per day722.0 km / 448.6 miles away
Malaga Car Hire starting at £ 2.24 per day766.0 km / 476.0 miles away
Seville Car Hire starting at £ 6.04 per day809.3 km / 502.9 miles away
Gibraltar Car Hire starting at £ 9.52 per day860.9 km / 534.9 miles away
Jerez Car Hire starting at £ 8.02 per day865.7 km / 537.9 miles away
Top 16 Destinations around Barcelona
Barcelona Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.55 per day
Reus Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.55 per day78.0 km / 48.5 miles away
Girona Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.13 per day87.9 km / 54.6 miles away
Valencia Airport Car Hire starting at £ 5.32 per day295.6 km / 183.7 miles away
Alicante Airport Car Hire starting at £ 3.38 per day403.6 km / 250.8 miles away
Bilbao Airport Car Hire starting at £ 7.34 per day466.8 km / 290.1 miles away
Region de Murcia International Airport Car Hire starting at £ 5.19 per day475.9 km / 295.7 miles away
Madrid Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.40 per day483.1 km / 300.2 miles away
Almeria Airport Car Hire starting at £ 13.34 per day626.6 km / 389.4 miles away
Granada Airport Car Hire starting at £ 11.04 per day680.1 km / 422.6 miles away
City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 13.13 per day761.2 km / 473.0 miles away
Malaga Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.24 per day766.0 km / 476.0 miles away
Seville Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.04 per day809.3 km / 502.9 miles away
Gibraltar La Linea Airport Car Hire starting at £ 9.52 per day860.9 km / 534.9 miles away
Jerez Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.02 per day865.7 km / 537.9 miles away
Santiago de Compostela Airport Car Hire starting at £ 15.16 per day883.3 km / 548.9 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Barcelona the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Barcelona?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Barcelona?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||12|
|Popular suppliers||Record-go, Goldcar, Centauro, Nizacars Rent A Car, Drivalia|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 7 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Record-go||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Record-go||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.