Car Rental in Portugal
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Portugal?
Portugal is a wonderful country to explore by car. From the vibrant cities of Lisbon and Porto to relaxing beaches in the Algarve, historical gems like Sintra, and surfing meccas like Peniche and Nazaré, there are countless places to discover, and having your own ride will allow you to see and experience them all on the same trip.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Portugal, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Rentals in Portugal
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Portugal and drop off in another country:
- From Portugal to Spain - 336 offers from $50.30 per day
- From Portugal to Germany - 48 offers from $155.94 per day
- From Portugal to Italy - 24 offers from $156.44 per day
- From Portugal to France - 24 offers from $156.44 per day
Top ways to enter Portugal
- Lisbon Airport: Portugal’s largest airport serves flights to and from nearly all European countries, as well as destinations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
- Porto Airport: Large, modern, and well-connected, Porto Airport is popular with low-cost carriers like easyJet and Ryanair.
- Faro Airport: Well-connected to the rest of Europe and especially busy during the summer, Faro Airport serves the southern region of the Algarve.
- Madeira Funchal Airport: Located on Madeira’s southeastern coast, Funchal Airport connects the island to mainland Portugal as well as many destinations in Europe and is served by more than 40 different airlines. There are direct flights from London, Manchester, Rome, Geneva, Paris, and even New York.
- By land: If your rental supplier permits it, you can rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Portugal. Some large international airports near Portugal are Malaga Airport, Seville Airport, and Madrid Airport, which are all in Spain.
Top cities and places to visit
- Lisbon: Portugal’s capital is often mentioned as one of the most interesting cities in Europe, and that’s for a good reason - it has rich culture, outstanding cuisine, and a vibrant nightlife.
- Porto and the North: Different in looks and atmosphere from its large southern rival, Lisbon, Porto is just as fascinating. A metropolis of arts and architecture, it is the capital of Northern Portugal, a historical region, famous for its wine, worth exploring in its own right.
- Algarve: Portugal’s southernmost region is famous for its beaches, as well as charming little towns like Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres on the Atlantic Coast. Traveling the roads less traveled that lead inland and higher up into the mountains to towns like Monchique can be amazing road trips.
- Sintra: Just a scenic 30-minute drive away from Lisbon, the entire town of Sintra and its natural surroundings have been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The main attractions include Sintra National Palace and the Moorish Castle, as well as other historical monuments of architecture.
- Aveiro: A city dating back to pre-Roman times, Aveiro is known for its canals (and like Venice, gondolas traveling through them), art noveau architecture, and stunning cathedrals.
- Madeira: often referred to as the "Pearl of the Atlantic," is an incredible, island destination offering stunning natural landscapes, rich culture and traditional cuisine. Its rugged beauty, ranging from high cliffs to lush forests, along with unique levada hikes, make it an adventurer's paradise. Additionally, the vibrant local festivals and exceptional gastronomy, featuring Madeira wine and fresh seafood, offer a taste of the island's unique cultural flavor, making a visit to Madeira a truly enriching experience.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Portugal is the VW Polo, but travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. Many of the cities in Portugal have smaller roads in certain parts, which were built centuries ago. These roads often only facilitate smaller vehicles, which is why compact rentals car is so popular in Portugal.
Driver's license requirements
- Portugal recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses that are written in a Latin alphabet for visits shorter than six months.
- If you’re in Portugal for longer than six months or live there permanently, the law requires you to obtain a Portuguese driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you may also be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you must also carry your original driver’s license as you might be required to present both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the rental supplier and car category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
- Most rental car companies in Portugal will require your credit card details on file as a security for renting the car.
Portugal shares a border with only one other country, Spain. Like Portugal, Spain is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area, meaning that the entry requirements for both countries are the same.
Some rental suppliers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to travel to Spain in your rental car, make sure to check the rental conditions before booking. Learn more about cross-border rentals on our Help Center.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Portugal is an Economy, followed by Compact and Mini.
Top driving routes
- Alentejo. Nestled snugly between two of Portugal's major tourist magnets, the captivating capital of Lisbon and the sun-kissed coastal allure of the Algarve, lies Alentejo. This expansive agricultural region, notable for its undulating fields and rich farming heritage, presents a distinctive and charming destination for those in search of an authentic Portuguese experience. Alentejo unfolds itself as a picturesque region teeming with pastoral beauty. It's a panorama of rolling hills cloaked in olive groves and golden wheat fields, interspersed with quaint, traditional white-washed villages. As the seasons shift, so too do the colors of the landscape, painting a vibrant living canvas that shifts from emerald green to sun-bleached gold and rich autumn hues.
- Peneda-Gerês National Park. Situated in the extreme northern reaches of Portugal, the Peneda-Gerês National Park, often simply referred to as Gerês by the locals, reigns supreme as the largest conserved natural expanse in the country. An extraordinary meld of rich history and breathtaking natural beauty, Gerês encapsulates an unspoiled realm, home to diverse landscapes and abundant wildlife. Its verdant forests stretch wide across mountainous terrains, diving into deep river valleys, creating a vibrant tapestry that changes with the seasons. The park also boasts a fascinating historical dimension, with traces of human habitation stretching back centuries.The trip from Porto takes only about 1 hour and 15 minutes by car.
- Spain. Located just over the border is one of Europe’s largest and most interesting countries. A mecca of cuisine, culture, and art, Spain also has plenty to offer in terms of natural riches and fun road trips. Traveling by car between Porto and Galicia, Algarve and Andalusia, or even Lisbon and Madrid is quite common, but make sure to ask your rental supplier in advance if you are permitted to cross the border in your rental car.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $10 per day
- Station wagons - from $10 per day
- Large cars - from $16 per day
- Medium cars - from $6 per day
- Vans - from $46 per day
- Premium cars - from $37 per day
- Small cars - from $4 per day
- SUVs - from $6 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Portugal:
- Compare rates of different rental suppliers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the rental prices are the lowest. According to our data, visiting Portugal is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 66% cheaper than renting a car in November.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Portugal
Car Rental in Lisbon from $4.35 per day
Car Rental in Madeira from $23.81 per day
Car Rental in Porto from $4.86 per day
Car Rental in Faro from $12.08 per day
Car Rental in Funchal from $23.54 per day
Car Rental in Albufeira from $16.52 per day
Car Rental in Coimbra from $20.97 per day
Car Rental in Braga from $13.82 per day
Car Rental in Aveiro from $17.00 per day
Car Rental in Cascais from $18.13 per day
Car Rental in Portimao from $17.00 per day
Car Rental in Lagos from $27.78 per day
Car Rental in Leiria from $18.01 per day
Car Rental in Setubal from $15.92 per day
Car Rental in Almada from $18.13 per day
Car Rental in Viseu from $20.97 per day
Car Rental in Sintra from $6.92 per day
Car Rental in Caldas da Rainha from $19.89 per day
Car Rental in Vila Real from $15.17 per day
Car Rental in Evora from $25.71 per day
Top 16 Most Popular Locations in Portugal
Car Rental at Lisbon Airport from $4.35 per day
Car Rental at Madeira Funchal Airport from $23.81 per day
Car Rental at Faro Airport from $12.08 per day
Car Rental at Porto Airport from $4.86 per day
Car Rental in Lisbon (Downtown) from $5.89 per day
Car Rental in Porto (Downtown) from $8.90 per day
Car Rental at Lisbon Prior Velho from $5.50 per day
Car Rental in Albufeira (Downtown) from $16.52 per day
Car Rental at Porto Campanha Railway Station from $28.56 per day
Car Rental at Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) from $79.62 per day
Car Rental at Oriente Train Station from $24.63 per day
Car Rental in Lisbon Alameda from $23.69 per day
Car Rental in Porto Boavista from $40.26 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Portugal?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Portugal?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Portugal?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||162|
|Popular suppliers||Drive on Holidays, BeRent, Goldcar, Klass Wagen, Turisprime|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$4 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Rentx Car Rental||Opel Corsa Hatchback||5||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|BeRent||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Renault Captur||5||2||SUVs|
|Funchal Drive rent a Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Funchal Drive rent a Car||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.