Car Rental in Wellington
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Wellington?
The capital city of New Zealand, Wellington is an increasingly popular tourist destination. The city is home to the country’s government and boasts interesting museums and galleries, historic landmarks, and some of the most scenic urban views in the country. Located at the southern edge of the North Island, Wellington offers ferry connections with the South Island on the other side of the Cook Strait.
One-Way Car Rentals in Wellington
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Wellington and drop off in another city include:
- From Wellington to Auckland - 20 offers from US$ 105.33 per day
- From Wellington to Palmerston North - 9 offers from US$ 105.33 per day
- From Wellington to Tauranga - 9 offers from US$ 105.33 per day
- From Wellington to Christchurch - 11 offers from US$ 132.73 per day
- From Wellington to Queenstown - 11 offers from US$ 105.33 per day
Top ways to enter Wellington
- Wellington Airport: The main airport serving the capital city region, it handles about 6.4 million passengers every year. In addition to domestic flights, there are also connections with multiple cities in Australia, as well as Nadi in Fiji. Located in the southern suburb of Rongotai, the airport is 9 km (5.4 miles) from the city center and can be reached in about ten minutes.
- By ferry: Rental cars can also be picked up and dropped off at the Wellington Inter-Island Ferry Terminal. The terminal is just north of the Central Business District (CBD).
Top destinations and activities
- Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa. Known by both its English and Maori names, the museum has an impressive collection of New Zealand’s natural history and indigenous culture, along with many other interactive exhibitions both indoors and outdoors. The two main attractions of the museum are the Maori marae or communal sacred space and the world’s only publicly displayed colossal squid.
- Carter Observatory. Long before the Europeans arrived, the Maori and other Polynesian peoples explored and colonized the unimaginably vast South Pacific Ocean. Having done that without any modern technology, their supreme navigational skills have long fascinated and puzzled Western scientists. The Carter Observatory of Wellington is dedicated to this unique maritime heritage with many interesting exhibitions about the subject. Fitting to its name, it also has a high-quality planetarium which is also open to the public.
- Lookout Points. Although the peaks and hills that surround Wellington are not as high as those of the South Island, they nonetheless offer splendid views of the city and the harbor below. Popular spots include Mount Kaukau and Mount Victoria, as well as views from Massey Memorial and the Brooklyn Wind Turbine. Most of these spots can be accessed by car, offering some scenic drives along the way.
All of the toll roads in New Zealand are in the northern part of the North Island. They all serve as short bypasses of congested areas. The tolls are therefore quite low. The toll roads use a license plate capturing system with no physical booths. Payment can be made either by having a setup account, by paying online before or within five days of using a toll road, or with cash in some BP and Caltex petrol stations (though a small fee will be added).
Many rental companies offer some system, with a fee, to pass on toll payments to you without you having to do anything. Of course, it may be better just to pay the toll yourself and save on paying that fee. The toll roads can all be avoided quite easily by avoiding the bypass roads and transiting through the towns (in addition to being able to see more).
Car Rental Prices in Wellington
- Large cars - from $27 per day
- Medium cars - from $25 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $69 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $29 per day
Top 13 Cities near Wellington
Auckland Car Rentals from $11.18 per day480.3 km / 298.4 miles away
Christchurch Car Rentals from $11.48 per day303.9 km / 188.9 miles away
Queenstown Car Rentals from $14.48 per day640.6 km / 398.0 miles away
Dunedin Car Rentals from $39.52 per day631.3 km / 392.3 miles away
Palmerston North Car Rentals from $27.03 per day130.9 km / 81.4 miles away
Nelson Car Rentals from $44.44 per day132.2 km / 82.2 miles away
Tauranga Car Rentals from $63.16 per day423.7 km / 263.3 miles away
Invercargill Car Rentals from $44.44 per day767.8 km / 477.1 miles away
Napier Car Rentals from $38.46 per day271.0 km / 168.4 miles away
Whangarei Car Rentals from $41.00 per day619.5 km / 384.9 miles away
Blenheim Car Rentals from $44.44 per day81.0 km / 50.4 miles away
Rotorua Car Rentals from $48.60 per day380.4 km / 236.4 miles away
New Plymouth Car Rentals from $27.03 per day263.2 km / 163.5 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Wellington
Wellington Airport Car Rentals from $19.42 per day3.8 km / 2.4 miles away
Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal Car Rentals from $36.29 per day3.9 km / 2.4 miles away
Blenheim Airport Car Rentals from $44.44 per day79.9 km / 49.6 miles away
Palmerston North Airport Car Rentals from $27.03 per day129.4 km / 80.4 miles away
Nelson Airport Car Rentals from $44.44 per day130.0 km / 80.8 miles away
New Plymouth Airport Car Rentals from $27.03 per day259.6 km / 161.3 miles away
Napier Airport Car Rentals from $38.46 per day270.0 km / 167.8 miles away
Christchurch Airport Car Rentals from $11.48 per day305.2 km / 189.6 miles away
Rotorua Airport Car Rentals from $48.60 per day378.2 km / 235.0 miles away
Tauranga Airport Car Rentals from $63.16 per day421.3 km / 261.8 miles away
Auckland Airport Car Rentals from $11.18 per day477.1 km / 296.5 miles away
Auckland Ponsonby Car Rentals from $15.46 per day494.5 km / 307.3 miles away
Whangarei Airport Car Rentals from $41.00 per day616.1 km / 382.9 miles away
Dunedin Airport Car Rentals from $39.52 per day632.7 km / 393.1 miles away
Queenstown Airport Car Rentals from $14.48 per day641.1 km / 398.4 miles away
Invercargill Airport Car Rentals from $44.44 per day768.9 km / 477.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Wellington?
What’s the usual rental length in Wellington?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Wellington?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota RAV4||4||3||SUVs|
|Go Rentals||MG3 Hatchback||4||2||Small cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Previa||5||3||People Carriers/Vans|
|Alamo||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Kia Cerato||4||2||Large cars|