Car Rental in Palmerston North
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Palmerston North?
Located in the Manawatu Region of New Zealand’s North Island, Palmerston North has its fair share of attractions for curious visitors. These include heritage buildings, interesting museums, modern cultural spaces, and the region’s famous wineries. With a rental car, you can also easily visit a number of spectacular nature areas that are a relatively short drive from the city.
One-Way Car Rentals in Palmerston North
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Palmerston North and drop off in another city include:
- From Palmerston North to Wellington - 8 offers from US$ 101.86 per day
Top ways to enter Palmerston North
- Palmerston North Airport: Serving about 650,000 travelers each year, Palmerston North Airport offers flights to and from Auckland, Christchurch, and other domestic destinations on both the North and South islands. Located about 6 km (3.7 miles) north of the city center, the airport takes ten minutes to reach.
- Wellington Airport: Serving the national capital, Wellington Airport handles 6.5 million travelers every year. A hub for the national carrier, Air New Zealand, and served by about ten other airlines, the airport provides many domestic links, as well as flights to and from select international destinations. Located 150 km (93 miles) southwest of Palmerston North, Wellington can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Auckland Airport: By far the busiest in New Zealand, Auckland Airport handles more than 20 million travelers every year. In addition to domestic routes, the airport also provides flights to such varied destinations as Australia, Japan, the United States, the United Arab Emirates, and Chile. Located 500 km (300 miles) north of Palmerston North, Auckland can be reached in about six hours.
Top destinations and activities
- New Zealand Rugby Museum. New Zealand may be home to just five million people, but the country is a global rugby union powerhouse. Their national team, All Blacks, are famous not only for the fearsome haka or tribal dance, but also the numerous world cups they’ve won, and this museum is dedicated to those fabled achievements. The rugby museum is part of Te Manawa, a large museum, gallery, and space center that’s one of the most interesting places in Palmerston North.
- Manawatu Gorge. Also known as Te Apiti or the narrow passage in Maori, Manawatu Gorge is one of the most impressive natural attractions in this part of the country. Connecting Manawatu with the neighboring Hawke’s Bay region, the gorge offers truly stunning views that are best enjoyed from the hiking trail that runs along the south side of it. The entrance of the gorge is about 16 km (10 miles) northeast of Palmerton North and can be reached in about 20 minutes by car.
- Pūkaha National Wildlife Center. Dedicated to the protection of the unique local fauna species, Pūkaha is a conservation center and a nature preserve about an hour’s drive south of Palmerston North. If lucky, visitors can see unique animals like the kākā bush parrot, barking gecko, and the legendary kiwi bird, as well as learn about conservation and forest restoration efforts. Pūkaha Wildlife Center borders Tararua mountains and forest park, a beautiful and wild nature area.
All of the toll roads in New Zealand are in the northern part of the North Island (so there are none that are particularly close to Palmerston North). They all serve as short bypasses of congested areas. The tolls are therefore quite low. The toll roads use a license plate capturing system with no physical booths. Payment can be made either by having a setup account, by paying online before or within five days of using a toll road, or with cash in some BP and Caltex petrol stations (though a small fee will be added).
Many rental companies offer some system, with a fee, to pass on toll payments to you without you having to do anything. Of course, it may be better just to pay the toll yourself and save on paying that fee. The toll roads can all be avoided quite easily by avoiding the bypass roads and transiting through the towns (in addition to being able to see more).
Car Rental Prices in Palmerston North
- Large cars - from $71 per day
- Medium cars - from $56 per day
- SUVs - from $71 per day
Top 13 Cities near Palmerston North
392.9 km / 244.1 miles away
Queenstown Car Rentals from $15.33 per day767.0 km / 476.6 miles away
Christchurch Car Rentals from $11.15 per day434.4 km / 270.0 miles away
Wellington Car Rentals from $17.17 per day129.4 km / 80.4 miles away
Dunedin Car Rentals from $33.07 per day762.1 km / 473.6 miles away
Napier Car Rentals from $49.74 per day143.3 km / 89.1 miles away
Nelson Car Rentals from $22.37 per day228.8 km / 142.2 miles away
Tauranga Car Rentals from $51.47 per day299.0 km / 185.8 miles away
Rotorua Car Rentals from $51.47 per day253.3 km / 157.4 miles away
Invercargill Car Rentals from $39.19 per day897.4 km / 557.6 miles away
Blenheim Car Rentals from $37.00 per day197.9 km / 123.0 miles away
Whangarei Car Rentals from $40.67 per day518.1 km / 322.0 miles away
New Plymouth Car Rentals from $47.73 per day190.8 km / 118.6 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Palmerston North
Palmerston North Airport Car Rentals from $47.73 per day3.4 km / 2.1 miles away
Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal Car Rentals from $36.00 per day123.5 km / 76.7 miles away
Wellington Airport Car Rentals from $11.40 per day128.4 km / 79.8 miles away
Napier Airport Car Rentals from $49.74 per day145.2 km / 90.2 miles away
New Plymouth Airport Car Rentals from $47.73 per day193.7 km / 120.4 miles away
Blenheim Airport Car Rentals from $37.00 per day196.0 km / 121.8 miles away
Nelson Airport Car Rentals from $22.37 per day227.6 km / 141.4 miles away
Rotorua Airport Car Rentals from $51.47 per day256.4 km / 159.3 miles away
Tauranga Airport Car Rentals from $51.47 per day302.2 km / 187.8 miles away
Auckland Airport Car Rentals from $11.24 per day378.8 km / 235.4 miles away
Auckland Ponsonby Car Rentals from $15.34 per day396.5 km / 246.4 miles away
Christchurch Airport Car Rentals from $11.15 per day432.0 km / 268.4 miles away
Whangarei Airport Car Rentals from $40.67 per day521.5 km / 324.0 miles away
Dunedin Airport Car Rentals from $33.07 per day759.6 km / 472.0 miles away
Queenstown Airport Car Rentals from $15.33 per day765.0 km / 475.4 miles away
Invercargill Airport Car Rentals from $39.19 per day895.2 km / 556.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Palmerston North?
What’s the usual rental length in Palmerston North?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Palmerston North?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Europcar||Suzuki S-Cross||5||2||Large cars|
|Europcar||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Medium cars|
|Hitch Car Rentals||Mazda Demio||4||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Holden Commodore||4||2||Large cars|
|Europcar||Toyota Corolla||5||2||Large cars|
|Hitch Car Rentals||Mazda 3||4||2||Medium cars|