Car Rental in Palmerston North
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Palmerston North?
Located in the Manawatu Region of New Zealand’s North Island, Palmerston North has its fair share of attractions for curious visitors. These include heritage buildings, interesting museums, modern cultural spaces, and the region’s famous wineries. With a rental car, you can also easily visit a number of spectacular nature areas that are a relatively short drive from the city.
One-Way Car Rentals in Palmerston North
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Palmerston North and drop off in another city include:
- From Palmerston North to Wellington - 8 offers from $90.81 per day
Top ways to enter Palmerston North
- Palmerston North Airport: Serving about 650,000 travelers each year, Palmerston North Airport offers flights to and from Auckland, Christchurch, and other domestic destinations on both the North and South islands. Located about 6 km (3.7 miles) north of the city center, the airport takes ten minutes to reach.
- Wellington Airport: Serving the national capital, Wellington Airport handles 6.5 million travelers every year. A hub for the national carrier, Air New Zealand, and served by about ten other airlines, the airport provides many domestic links, as well as flights to and from select international destinations. Located 150 km (93 miles) southwest of Palmerston North, Wellington can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Auckland Airport: By far the busiest in New Zealand, Auckland Airport handles more than 20 million travelers every year. In addition to domestic routes, the airport also provides flights to such varied destinations as Australia, Japan, the United States, the United Arab Emirates, and Chile. Located 500 km (300 miles) north of Palmerston North, Auckland can be reached in about six hours.
Top destinations and activities
- New Zealand Rugby Museum. New Zealand may be home to just five million people, but the country is a global rugby union powerhouse. Their national team, All Blacks, are famous not only for the fearsome haka or tribal dance, but also the numerous world cups they’ve won, and this museum is dedicated to those fabled achievements. The rugby museum is part of Te Manawa, a large museum, gallery, and space center that’s one of the most interesting places in Palmerston North.
- Manawatu Gorge. Also known as Te Apiti or the narrow passage in Maori, Manawatu Gorge is one of the most impressive natural attractions in this part of the country. Connecting Manawatu with the neighboring Hawke’s Bay region, the gorge offers truly stunning views that are best enjoyed from the hiking trail that runs along the south side of it. The entrance of the gorge is about 16 km (10 miles) northeast of Palmerton North and can be reached in about 20 minutes by car.
- Te Manawa. A museum of local heritage, an art space, and a science center, this interactive cultural institution is divided into the Life, Art, and Mind sections. Make sure to visit the museum’s website before you go to check out any events that might be taking place during your visit.
All of the toll roads in New Zealand are in the northern part of the North Island (so there are none that are particularly close to Palmerston North). They all serve as short bypasses of congested areas. The tolls are therefore quite low. The toll roads use a license plate capturing system with no physical booths. Payment can be made either by having a setup account, by paying online before or within five days of using a toll road, or with cash in some BP and Caltex petrol stations (though a small fee will be added).
Many rental companies offer some system, with a fee, to pass on toll payments to you without you having to do anything. Of course, it may be better just to pay the toll yourself and save on paying that fee. The toll roads can all be avoided quite easily by avoiding the bypass roads and transiting through the towns (in addition to being able to see more).
Ideas for day trips
- Pūkaha National Wildlife Center. Dedicated to the protection of the unique local fauna species, Pūkaha is a conservation center and a nature preserve about an hour’s drive south of Palmerston North. If lucky, visitors can see unique animals like the kākā bush parrot, barking gecko, and the legendary kiwi bird, as well as learn about conservation and forest restoration efforts. Pūkaha Wildlife Center borders Tararua mountains and forest park, a beautiful and wild nature area.
- Tararua National Forest Park. Incorporating the aforementioned wildlife center, as well as plenty of wilderness itself, Tararua is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Palmerston North area. Known for its high (but mostly accessible) peaks and wide valleys, it is one of the pristine areas of the North Island.
Car Rental Prices in Palmerston North
- Medium cars - from $110 per day
- Vans - from $295 per day
- Premium cars - from $196 per day
- Small cars - from $143 per day
- SUVs - from $57 per day
Top 20 Cities near Palmerston North
Whanganui Car Rentals from $133.32 per day64.3 km / 40.0 miles away
Wellington Car Rentals from $23.53 per day130.9 km / 81.3 miles away
Napier Car Rentals from $56.71 per day143.3 km / 89.0 miles away
Picton Car Rentals from $63.38 per day172.8 km / 107.4 miles away
Taupo Car Rentals from $35.28 per day180.4 km / 112.1 miles away
New Plymouth Car Rentals from $49.28 per day190.8 km / 118.6 miles away
Blenheim Car Rentals from $56.71 per day197.9 km / 123.0 miles away
Nelson Car Rentals from $42.90 per day228.8 km / 142.2 miles away
Rotorua Car Rentals from $34.72 per day253.3 km / 157.4 miles away
Gisborne Car Rentals from $48.41 per day274.3 km / 170.4 miles away
Whakatane Car Rentals from $93.10 per day288.6 km / 179.3 miles away
Tauranga Car Rentals from $82.28 per day299.0 km / 185.8 miles away
Auckland Car Rentals from $21.60 per day375.4 km / 233.3 miles away
Waiheke Island Car Rentals from $51.54 per day397.5 km / 247.0 miles away
Christchurch Car Rentals from $22.91 per day434.4 km / 269.9 miles away
Whangarei Car Rentals from $48.41 per day518.1 km / 321.9 miles away
Kerikeri Car Rentals from $48.41 per day582.0 km / 361.6 miles away
Dunedin Car Rentals from $47.49 per day762.1 km / 473.5 miles away
Queenstown Car Rentals from $28.64 per day767.0 km / 476.6 miles away
Invercargill Car Rentals from $62.23 per day897.4 km / 557.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Palmerston North
Palmerston North Airport Car Rentals from $56.81 per day
Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal Car Rentals from $77.18 per day125.9 km / 78.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.53 per day129.4 km / 80.4 miles away
Wellington Airport Car Rentals from $23.61 per day130.9 km / 81.3 miles away
Napier Airport Car Rentals from $56.71 per day143.3 km / 89.0 miles away
New Plymouth Airport Car Rentals from $49.28 per day190.8 km / 118.6 miles away
Nelson Airport Car Rentals from $42.90 per day228.8 km / 142.2 miles away
Rotorua Airport Car Rentals from $34.72 per day253.3 km / 157.4 miles away
Tauranga Airport Car Rentals from $88.64 per day299.0 km / 185.8 miles away
Auckland Airport Car Rentals from $21.99 per day375.4 km / 233.3 miles away
Auckland East Tamaki Car Rentals from $21.60 per day381.1 km / 236.8 miles away
Auckland Penrose Car Rentals from $64.50 per day384.6 km / 239.0 miles away
Auckland Onehunga Car Rentals from $21.60 per day384.8 km / 239.1 miles away
Auckland Mount Wellington Car Rentals from $21.60 per day385.8 km / 239.7 miles away
Auckland Henderson Car Rentals from $21.60 per day392.9 km / 244.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $21.60 per day393.1 km / 244.3 miles away
Waiheke Island Port Car Rentals from $51.54 per day397.5 km / 247.0 miles away
Auckland Glenfield Car Rentals from $21.60 per day401.3 km / 249.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.91 per day433.8 km / 269.6 miles away
Christchurch Airport Car Rentals from $25.39 per day434.4 km / 269.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Palmerston North?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Palmerston North?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Palmerston North?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Europcar, Hertz, Ezi Car Rental, Cross Country Rentals, Keddy|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Small cars, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$57 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Hertz||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Suzuki Swift||4||1||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Kia Cerato||4||2||Large cars|
|Cross Country Rentals||Mitsubishi ASX||5||2||SUVs|
|Ezi Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||5||1||Medium cars|
|Ezi Car Rental||Toyota C-HR||4||2||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.