Car Rental in Dunedin
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Dunedin?
Considered remote even by New Zealand’s standards, the capital of the Otago region is often called the southernmost city in the world. Located on the eastern coast of South Island, the city is quite small and accessible but offers a wealth of interesting things to see and do at the same time. Even better, New Zealand’s majestic nature is also only a short drive away with a rental car.
One-Way Car Rentals in Dunedin
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Dunedin and drop off in another city include:
- From Dunedin to Christchurch - 9 offers from $86.14 per day
- From Dunedin to Queenstown - 9 offers from $86.14 per day
- From Dunedin to Auckland - 9 offers from $183.48 per day
Top ways to enter Dunedin
- Dunedin Airport. With about one million travelers served every year, this relatively small airport offers connections with other large cities in New Zealand, as well as Brisbane in Australia. Located about 25 km (16 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in 25 minutes by car.
- Queenstown Airport. Serving the adventure tourism capital of New Zealand, Queenstown Airport has flights to many domestic destinations, as well as Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney in Australia. Located 270 km (168 miles) northwest of Dunedin, the trip to or from Queenstown takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Christchurch Airport. By far the busiest airport on the South Island, it handles about seven million passengers every year. In addition to flights to domestic and Australian destinations, this airport also offers connections with Fiji, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, and the United Arab Emirates. Located some 360 km (224 miles) north of Dunedin, Christchurch Airport can be reached in about 4 hours and 30 minutes, with most of the road taking you right along the coast.
Top destinations and activities
- Baldwin Street. Recognized as the steepest street in the world by the Guinness World Records, Baldwin Street is also one of Dunedin’s main attractions. Whether you choose to comfortably ascend this anomaly in a rental car or go for a seriously taxing climb, this is the quintessential travel experience of Dunedin. You’ll feel like you’ve joined a club once you’re up there.
- Dunedin Public Art Gallery: Boasting a truly impressive collection, Dunedin’s main art museum displays the works of many important New Zealandic artists and internationally renowned masters like Turner and Monet. Celebrating its 140th birthday in 2024, it is the oldest art gallery in all of the country.
- Otago Museum. Named after the wider region in which Dunedin is located, this museum is dedicated to the topics of biology, natural history, and ethnography. In addition to countless artifacts relating to the local nature and culture, there is also a wide and fascinating collection of butterfly species from around the world.
- Tunnel Beach. Tunnel Beach Walk provides spectacular coastal views, including a natural archway bridge. Check out the historic 1870s tunnel to a small but beautiful beach surrounded by towering cliffs. The walk takes about two hours, and the beach is located around a ten-minute drive away from the center of Dunedin.
All of the toll roads in New Zealand are in the northern part of the North Island, so there are none in or around Dunedin.
The toll roads on the North Island all serve as short bypasses of congested areas. The tolls are therefore quite low. The toll roads use a license plate capturing system with no physical booths. Payment can be made either by having a setup account, by paying online before or within five days of using a toll road, or with cash in some BP and Caltex petrol stations (though a small fee will be added).
Many rental companies offer some system, with a fee, to pass on toll payments to you without you having to do anything. Of course, it may be better just to pay the toll yourself and save on paying that fee. The toll roads can all be avoided quite easily by avoiding the bypass roads and transiting through the towns (in addition to being able to see more).
Ideas for day trips
- Orokonui Eco Sanctuary. Located just half an hour’s drive north of Dunedin center, Orokonui is one of the nicest nature areas in Otago. With a network of paths winding through the region’s famous cloud forest, the center is home to unique native species such as takahē or notornis birds, lizard-like tuataras, and the flightless-but-famous kiwis. You can learn about the Orokonui’s preservation and education projects at the visitor’s center or by joining a tour.
- The Catlins. Collectively known as the Catlins, this is the remote, scenic southern part of Otago. Made up of wild beaches and forested hills, it has a large number of walking trails and is also known as the location of a fossilized Jurassic-era forest that’s over 180 million years old. The drive from Dunedin takes slightly over two hours.
Car Rental Prices in Dunedin
- Large cars - from $40 per day
- Medium cars - from $32 per day
- Vans - from $165 per day
- Premium cars - from $128 per day
- Small cars - from $32 per day
- SUVs - from $38 per day
Top 20 Cities near Dunedin
Queenstown Car Rentals from $14.39 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Invercargill Car Rentals from $35.68 per day154.7 km / 96.1 miles away
Christchurch Car Rentals from $16.17 per day328.0 km / 203.8 miles away
Nelson Car Rentals from $29.09 per day568.9 km / 353.5 miles away
Blenheim Car Rentals from $29.09 per day572.1 km / 355.5 miles away
Picton Car Rentals from $29.09 per day599.9 km / 372.8 miles away
Wellington Car Rentals from $21.86 per day631.3 km / 392.3 miles away
Palmerston North Car Rentals from $84.35 per day762.1 km / 473.5 miles away
Whanganui Car Rentals from $116.99 per day770.4 km / 478.7 miles away
New Plymouth Car Rentals from $37.62 per day835.1 km / 518.9 miles away
Napier Car Rentals from $65.69 per day901.1 km / 559.9 miles away
Taupo Car Rentals from $40.71 per day933.3 km / 579.9 miles away
Rotorua Car Rentals from $39.85 per day1004.6 km / 624.2 miles away
Gisborne Car Rentals from $43.71 per day1029.4 km / 639.6 miles away
Tauranga Car Rentals from $36.11 per day1043.1 km / 648.2 miles away
Whakatane Car Rentals from $50.16 per day1048.3 km / 651.4 miles away
Auckland Car Rentals from $13.83 per day1062.1 km / 660.0 miles away
Waiheke Island Car Rentals from $44.82 per day1092.2 km / 678.7 miles away
Whangarei Car Rentals from $46.09 per day1182.1 km / 734.5 miles away
Kerikeri Car Rentals from $46.09 per day1225.9 km / 761.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Dunedin
Dunedin Airport Car Rentals from $31.62 per day
21.9 km / 13.6 miles away
Queenstown Airport Car Rentals from $14.39 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Invercargill Airport Car Rentals from $35.68 per day154.7 km / 96.1 miles away
Christchurch Airport Car Rentals from $16.17 per day328.0 km / 203.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.45 per day328.3 km / 204.0 miles away
Nelson Airport Car Rentals from $29.09 per day568.9 km / 353.5 miles away
Wellington Airport Car Rentals from $23.19 per day631.3 km / 392.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $21.86 per day632.7 km / 393.1 miles away
Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal Car Rentals from $33.46 per day636.2 km / 395.3 miles away
Palmerston North Airport Car Rentals from $84.35 per day762.1 km / 473.5 miles away
New Plymouth Airport Car Rentals from $37.62 per day835.1 km / 518.9 miles away
Napier Airport Car Rentals from $65.69 per day901.1 km / 559.9 miles away
Rotorua Airport Car Rentals from $39.85 per day1004.6 km / 624.2 miles away
Tauranga Airport Car Rentals from $36.11 per day1043.1 km / 648.2 miles away
Auckland Airport Car Rentals from $13.83 per day1062.1 km / 660.0 miles away
Auckland Onehunga Car Rentals from $20.25 per day1071.1 km / 665.6 miles away
Auckland Henderson Car Rentals from $20.05 per day1071.6 km / 665.9 miles away
Auckland Penrose Car Rentals from $43.83 per day1072.4 km / 666.4 miles away
Auckland East Tamaki Car Rentals from $20.05 per day1072.4 km / 666.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Dunedin?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Dunedin?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Dunedin?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Hertz, Go Rentals, yesaway, Ezi Car Rental, Europcar|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Small cars, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$32 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Go Rentals||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|Go Rentals||Toyota Corolla||5||1||Medium cars|
|Hertz||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ezi Car Rental||Toyota Yaris Cross||4||2||Small cars|
|Moto||Toyota Corolla||5||2||Medium cars|
|Moto||Toyota Yaris Cross||4||2||Small cars|
|yesaway||Toyota Corolla||4||3||Large cars|
|Go Rentals||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.