Car Rental in Dunedin
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Dunedin?
Considered remote even by New Zealand’s standards, the capital of the Otago region is often called the southernmost city in the world. Located on the eastern coast of South Island, the city is quite small and accessible but offers a wealth of interesting things to see and do at the same time. Even better, New Zealand’s majestic nature is also only a short drive away with a rental car.
One-Way Car Rentals in Dunedin
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Dunedin and drop off in another city include:
- From Dunedin to Christchurch - 9 offers from $78.28 per day
- From Dunedin to Queenstown - 9 offers from $78.28 per day
- From Dunedin to Auckland - 9 offers from $166.75 per day
Top ways to enter Dunedin
- Dunedin Airport. With about one million travelers served every year, this relatively small airport offers connections with other large cities in New Zealand, as well as Brisbane in Australia. Located about 25 km (16 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in 25 minutes by car.
- Queenstown Airport. Serving the adventure tourism capital of New Zealand, Queenstown Airport has flights to many domestic destinations, as well as Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney in Australia. Located 270 km (168 miles) northwest of Dunedin, the trip to or from Queenstown takes about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Christchurch Airport. By far the busiest airport on the South Island, it handles about seven million passengers every year. In addition to flights to domestic and Australian destinations, this airport also offers connections with Fiji, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, and the United Arab Emirates. Located some 360 km (224 miles) north of Dunedin, Christchurch Airport can be reached in about 4 hours and 30 minutes, with most of the road taking you right along the coast.
Top destinations and activities
- Baldwin Street. Recognized as the steepest street in the world by the Guinness World Records, Baldwin Street is also one of Dunedin’s main attractions. Whether you choose to comfortably ascend this anomaly in a rental car or go for a seriously taxing climb, this is the quintessential travel experience of Dunedin. You’ll feel like you’ve joined a club once you’re up there.
- Museums. Although Dunedin is home to only about 135,000 people, the city has some very interesting museums to explore. These include the Otago Museum and Toitū Otago Settlers Museum dedicated to the natural and human history of this part of New Zealand, Dunedin Public Art Gallery, Dunedin Museum of Natural Mystery dedicated to quirky artwork and artifacts, and the Blue Oyster Art Project Space.
- Orokonui Eco Sanctuary. Located just half an hour’s drive north of Dunedin center, Orokonui is one of the nicest nature areas in Otago. With a network of paths winding through the region’s famous cloud forest, the center is home to unique native species such as takahē or notornis birds, lizard-like tuataras, and the flightless-but-famous kiwis. You can learn about the Orokonui’s preservation and education projects at the visitor’s center or by joining a tour.
All of the toll roads in New Zealand are in the northern part of the North Island, so there are none in or around Dunedin.
The toll roads on the North Island all serve as short bypasses of congested areas. The tolls are therefore quite low. The toll roads use a license plate capturing system with no physical booths. Payment can be made either by having a setup account, by paying online before or within five days of using a toll road, or with cash in some BP and Caltex petrol stations (though a small fee will be added).
Many rental companies offer some system, with a fee, to pass on toll payments to you without you having to do anything. Of course, it may be better just to pay the toll yourself and save on paying that fee. The toll roads can all be avoided quite easily by avoiding the bypass roads and transiting through the towns (in addition to being able to see more).
Car Rental Prices in Dunedin
- Large cars - from $116 per day
- Medium cars - from $75 per day
- SUVs - from $115 per day
Top 14 Cities near Dunedin
Christchurch Car Rentals from $29.48 per day311.3 km / 193.5 miles away
Queenstown Car Rentals from $39.75 per day165.2 km / 102.6 miles away
Wellington Car Rentals from $29.03 per day613.9 km / 381.4 miles away
Nelson Car Rentals from $31.24 per day554.5 km / 344.5 miles away
Palmerston North Car Rentals from $68.57 per day744.8 km / 462.8 miles away
983.0 km / 610.8 miles away
Napier Car Rentals from $48.68 per day883.1 km / 548.8 miles away
Blenheim Car Rentals from $71.99 per day556.0 km / 345.5 miles away
Invercargill Car Rentals from $77.76 per day176.5 km / 109.7 miles away
New Plymouth Car Rentals from $45.34 per day821.1 km / 510.2 miles away
Taupo Car Rentals from $46.79 per day916.9 km / 569.7 miles away
175.1 km / 108.8 miles away
Whanganui Car Rentals from $70.97 per day754.2 km / 468.7 miles away
627.9 km / 390.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Dunedin
Dunedin Airport Car Rentals from $37.39 per day21.9 km / 13.6 miles away
Queenstown Airport Car Rentals from $39.75 per day165.2 km / 102.6 miles away
Invercargill Airport Car Rentals from $77.76 per day176.5 km / 109.7 miles away
Christchurch Airport Car Rentals from $29.48 per day311.3 km / 193.5 miles away
Westport Airport Car Rentals from $73.85 per day467.9 km / 290.8 miles away
Nelson Airport Car Rentals from $31.24 per day554.5 km / 344.5 miles away
Blenheim Airport Car Rentals from $71.99 per day556.0 km / 345.5 miles away
Wellington Airport Car Rentals from $29.03 per day613.9 km / 381.4 miles away
Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal Car Rentals from $28.87 per day618.9 km / 384.5 miles away
Palmerston North Airport Car Rentals from $68.57 per day744.8 km / 462.8 miles away
Whanganui Airport Car Rentals from $70.97 per day754.2 km / 468.7 miles away
New Plymouth Airport Car Rentals from $45.34 per day821.1 km / 510.2 miles away
Napier Airport Car Rentals from $48.68 per day883.1 km / 548.8 miles away
Taupo Airport Car Rentals from $46.79 per day916.9 km / 569.7 miles away
Rotorua Airport Car Rentals from $39.22 per day988.4 km / 614.2 miles away
Gisborne Airport Car Rentals from $45.34 per day1011.2 km / 628.3 miles away
Tauranga Airport Car Rentals from $50.29 per day1027.4 km / 638.4 miles away
Whakatane Airport Car Rentals from $38.23 per day1031.3 km / 640.8 miles away
Auckland Airport Car Rentals from $22.29 per day1048.6 km / 651.6 miles away
Auckland Onehunga Car Rentals from $18.46 per day1057.7 km / 657.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Dunedin?
What’s the usual rental length in Dunedin?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Dunedin?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|yesaway||Toyota Vitz||5||2||Small cars|
|Hertz||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|Go Rentals||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Small cars|
|Hertz||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|
|Go Rentals||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|yesaway||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|Go Rentals||Toyota Corolla||5||1||Medium cars|
|yesaway||Mazda Demio||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.