Car Rental Cologne
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Cologne?
Germany’s fourth-largest city is a proper tourism destination. Inhabited since the Roman times and with a wealth of beautiful historical buildings, Cologne also has impressive modern architecture and unique creative neighborhoods. The city’s location in the heart of western Germany means that from here, you can easily explore the rest of the region or even pop over the border to the Netherlands or Belgium.
Top ways to enter Cologne
- Cologne-Bonn Airport: Located between Cologne and West Germany’s former capital Bonn, it is the seventh-busiest airport in Germany. In 2018, it served more than 12 million travelers and is also a large hub for cargo aviation. The airport is served by around 20 different airlines, with Eurowings, Ryanair, and TUiFly Deutschland providing most of the flights. Located 15km (9 miles) southeast of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Dusseldorf Airport: With more than 24 million travelers handled in 2018, Flughafen Dusseldorf is the third-busiest airport in Germany behind Frankfurt and Munich, but ahead of Berlin and Hamburg. Primarily serving the city of the same name, Dusseldorf Airport is just 59km (36 miles) north of Cologne and can be reached in 45 minutes.
- Dortmund Airport: Another international airport in North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund is popular with low-cost carriers. It hosts many flights to both Western and Eastern Europe, providing connections to the United Kingdom, Spain, Serbia, Poland, Bulgaria, and many other countries. Located 99km (60 miles) northeast of Cologne, the airport can be reached in about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Frankfurt Airport: The busiest in Germany and one of the largest in Europe, Frankfurt Airport served 69 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for Lufthansa but is also served by more than 50 other airlines that provide connections to every continent in the world. About 175km (109 miles) northwest of Cologne, Frankfurt Airport can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- By train: If you arrive in Cologne by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Cologne Central Station (Köln Hauptbahnhof).
Useful city facts
- Cologne has a temperate-oceanic climate with hot summers and cool winters. The average high temperature is 24°C (76°F) in July, the warmest month, and 5°C (42°F) in January. Cologne is one of the warmest cities in Germany. The precipitation is rather even throughout the year. Historically, Cologne has been vulnerable to flooding of the river Rhine, but this problem has been largely solved thanks to a number of innovative flood-control mechanisms including mobile river walls.
- Cologne is home to many high quality museums. Some of the most interesting ones include the Roman-Germanic Museum focusing on the city’s ancient history, the Ludwig Museum of Modern Art, Kolumba Museum of Christian Art, and Rautenstrauch-Joest Museum that has exhibits on both the ethnography of the Rhine-Ruhr area and tribal art from around the world.
Top destinations and activities
- Kölner Dom. One of the most famous religious buildings in Germany, Cologne Cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The first stone of the building was laid in 1248, but it took more than six centuries to finish this immense building. Tourists are allowed to climb to the top of one of the cathedral’s towers, and while it can be quite an effort (usually it takes about one hour to get to the top), the view of the River Rhine and the rest of the city from is worth it.
- Rheinauhafen. The former port area of Cologne is nowadays a unique blend of historic harbour buildings and futuristic modern architecture. With many restaurants serving German, Mediterranean, and Asian cuisine, it has also become Cologne’s gastronomic hub. Come here for a delicious meal or simply a long and enjoyable walk along the river.
- Agnesviertel. Agnesviertel is Cologne’s hippest neighborhood. Although uncompromisingly unique, its atmosphere has similarities to Hamburg’s St. Pauli and Berlin’s most creative districts. With plenty of art galleries, cafeterias, outdoor markets, and performance venues, it’s impossible to ever get bored here.
Traffic and parking tips
Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits it 50km/h (31 mph) in populated or built-up areas. There is no national speed limit on autobahns (highways) and many of them don’t have a set speed limit. However, contrary to what is sometimes stated, about 50% of the autobahns do have their own individual speed limits, so do carefully follow the speed limit signs on each road that you’re driving on.
Where the speed limits are enforced, the tolerance for speeding is low. Driving just 3km/h (2 mph) above the speed limit can, and often will, lead to fines. Many roads that do have speed limits have radars in place.
Some autobahns have a minimum speed limit that applies to specific lanes, for example, a minimum speed of 110km/h (68 mph) for the left lane and 90km/h (56 mph) for the center lane.
Because of the very high speed used by some on the German autobahns, be extra careful before switching lanes.
It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. This is strictly enforced and the fines are substantial.
Children under the age of 12 have to use a child safety seat.
The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban.
Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
Although Germany has a large number of high-speed motorways, only vehicles that weigh more than 7,5 tons need to pay a toll. This excludes practically all types of rental cars.
There are two tolled tunnels in Germany, the Herren Tunnel in Schleswig-Holstein and the Warnow Tunnel in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Neither of them is near Cologne.
Find out more about the toll roads in Germany on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Rhineland Nature Park. Made up of pine, beech, and oak trees, countless pretty lakes, and old hunting lodges, Rhineland Nature Park is the nicest green area in the vicinity of Cologne. Located just 38km (23.6 miles) southwest of the city, it can be reached in 30 to 40 minutes. After relaxing in the park, you can also visit the small town of Brühl, famous for the impressive Augustusburg Palace and the museum dedicated to the surrealist artist Max Ernst.
- Ruhr. The former coal and steel heartland of Germany isn’t usually thought of as a tourist area, but its Industrial Heritage Trail actually has plenty to offer. Tourists can visit the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex (a UNESCO World Heritage site in Essen), see a former miners’ town in Dahlhauser Heide, or visit the German Mining and Railway Museum in Bochum. Essen is just 71km (44 miles) north of Cologne and can be reached in about one hour; and with a rental car, you can easily travel along the trail from there.
- Bonn. Although best known internationally as the former capital of West Germany, Bonn is actually a cozy and fun place to visit. For its relatively small size, it has plenty of tourist attractions, such as the Beethoven Museum (the famous composer was born in the city), the Kreuzbergkirche Baroque church, and Poppelsdorfer Palace and Botanical Gardens. Just 30km (19 miles) southeast of Cologne, it can be reached in just 30 minutes and is definitely worth a visit.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car types in Cologne are mini, compact, and economy. The most popular rental car is the Volkswagen Up, followed by the Volkswagen Golf and the Fiat 500.
- Eifel National Park. Located on the border with Belgium, Eifel National Park is the largest protected area in North Rhine-Westphalia. The park is made up of vast meadows and forests that can be explored by hiking on its many paths as well as many lakes and springs. Eifel is home to many wildlife species, including wildcat, black stork, and European wall lizard. Located just about 60km (37 miles) southwest of Cologne, it can be reached in one hour. On the edge of the park is the city of Aachen, one of the most picturesque cities of Northwest Germany.
- Amsterdam. Amsterdam is one of Europe’s most visited cities and for good reason. The city’s beautiful canals and parks, world-class museums, distinct wooden architecture, and active nightlife attract millions of visitors every year. For a city of its size, it also has a surprisingly relaxed and enjoyable pace of life. Located just 260km (161 miles) northwest of Cologne, Amsterdam can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes. To go from Germany to the Netherlands, you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Belgium. Germany’s western neighbor is best known for its capital city, Brussels, but it has so much more to offer. Its northern cities Antwerp, Bruges, and Ghent have beautiful medieval architecture; Ardennes in the south is a region of woodlands, rolling hills, and little villages; and Belgium’s North Sea coast is a great place to visit in summertime. It’s easy to reach, too - Antwerp is just 210km (130 miles) west of Cologne and can be reached in about two hours. Like with Amsterdam, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit crossing the border.
Car Rental Prices in Cologne
- Station wagons - from $75 per day
- Large cars - from $72 per day
- Medium cars - from $57 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $78 per day
- Premium cars - from $119 per day
- Small cars - from $39 per day
- SUVs - from $70 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
It’s easy to land a great rental car in Cologne if you follow these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Cologne is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 30% cheaper than the yearly average and 51% cheaper than renting a car in August. Come visit Germany in early autumn!
Top 20 Cities near Cologne
Berlin Car Rentals from $69.95 per day475.0 km / 295.2 miles away
Munich Car Rentals from $44.26 per day455.2 km / 282.9 miles away
Frankfurt Car Rentals from $41.79 per day152.2 km / 94.6 miles away
Dusseldorf Car Rentals from $26.25 per day40.8 km / 25.3 miles away
Stuttgart Car Rentals from $28.66 per day298.5 km / 185.5 miles away
Hamburg Car Rentals from $28.66 per day362.9 km / 225.5 miles away
Nurnberg Car Rentals from $26.99 per day334.4 km / 207.8 miles away
Weeze Car Rentals from $56.12 per day92.7 km / 57.6 miles away
Dortmund Car Rentals from $45.04 per day78.5 km / 48.8 miles away
Memmingen Car Rentals from $43.34 per day404.8 km / 251.6 miles away
Hannover Car Rentals from $30.40 per day252.5 km / 156.9 miles away
Bremen Car Rentals from $31.36 per day265.3 km / 164.9 miles away
Dresden Car Rentals from $32.38 per day476.3 km / 296.0 miles away
Hahn/Lautzenhausen Car Rentals from $33.57 per day112.7 km / 70.0 miles away
Leipzig Car Rentals from $44.54 per day372.1 km / 231.2 miles away
Mannheim Car Rentals from $44.26 per day197.5 km / 122.7 miles away
Friedrichshafen Car Rentals from $45.59 per day408.1 km / 253.6 miles away
Münster Car Rentals from $40.78 per day141.7 km / 88.0 miles away
Rosenheim Car Rentals from $47.87 per day507.5 km / 315.3 miles away
Paderborn Car Rentals from $31.14 per day137.3 km / 85.3 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Cologne
Cologne Train Station Car Rentals from $40.02 per day
Cologne, Downtown Car Rentals from $29.52 per day
Cologne Bonn Airport Car Rentals from $28.39 per day15.5 km / 9.6 miles away
Dusseldorf Railway Station Car Rentals from $40.23 per day32.9 km / 20.4 miles away
Dusseldorf Airport Car Rentals from $26.25 per day40.8 km / 25.3 miles away
Dortmund Airport Car Rentals from $45.04 per day78.5 km / 48.8 miles away
Weeze/Niederrhein Airport Car Rentals from $56.12 per day92.7 km / 57.6 miles away
Hahn/Lautzenhausen, Frankfurt-Hahn Airport Car Rentals from $33.57 per day112.7 km / 70.0 miles away
Paderborn Lippstadt Airport Car Rentals from $31.14 per day137.3 km / 85.3 miles away
Münster Osnabrück Airport Car Rentals from $40.78 per day141.7 km / 88.0 miles away
Frankfurt Airport Car Rentals from $31.29 per day151.5 km / 94.2 miles away
Frankfurt Central Station Car Rentals from $41.79 per day152.2 km / 94.6 miles away
Mannheim City Airport Car Rentals from $44.26 per day197.5 km / 122.7 miles away
Hannover Airport Car Rentals from $30.40 per day252.5 km / 156.9 miles away
Bremen Airport Car Rentals from $31.36 per day265.3 km / 164.9 miles away
Stuttgart Railway Station Car Rentals from $45.55 per day288.2 km / 179.1 miles away
Stuttgart Airport Car Rentals from $28.66 per day298.5 km / 185.5 miles away
Nurnberg Airport Car Rentals from $26.99 per day334.4 km / 207.8 miles away
Nurnberg Railway Station Car Rentals from $56.12 per day337.4 km / 209.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Cologne?
What’s the usual rental length in Cologne?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Cologne?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|Buchbinder||VW Polo||3||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Ford Focus 5d||5||2||Medium cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Buchbinder||Volkswagen Up 3d||3||2||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Buchbinder||BMW 2 Series Active Tourer||4||3||Large cars|
|Buchbinder||VW Passat||4||3||Large cars|
Top 11 Suppliers for Cologne in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email