Car Rental in Dusseldorf
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Dusseldorf?
Dusseldorf is a great place for renting a car. Upbeat and modern, but at the same time cozy and easy to navigate, its museums, parks, and beautiful buildings can be explored for days. Dusseldorf’s proximity to many other German destinations, as well as to a number of neighboring countries, means it can also serve as a great base for further explorations.
One-Way Car Rentals in Dusseldorf
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Dusseldorf and drop off in another city include:
- From Dusseldorf to Hamburg - 207 offers from US$ 35.32 per day
- From Dusseldorf to Cologne - 207 offers from US$ 35.32 per day
- From Dusseldorf to Munich - 48 offers from US$ 46.55 per day
- From Dusseldorf to Nurnberg - 152 offers from US$ 43.13 per day
- From Dusseldorf to Hannover - 191 offers from US$ 43.13 per day
Top ways to enter Dusseldorf
- Dusseldorf Airport: The third-busiest in Germany, the large and modern Flughafen Düsseldorf serves nearly 25 million travelers every year, providing air links to countless destinations in Europe, as well as some to other parts of the world. The airport is located just north of the city center.
- Cologne-Bonn Airport: Served by around 30 different airlines, flying into this airport can serve as a good alternative for reaching Dusseldorf. The airport serves both Cologne, Germany’s fourth largest city, and Bonn, the former capital of West Germany, and is located just one hour’s drive south of Dusseldorf.
- Weeze Niederrhein Airport: Sometimes also called Weeze-Dusseldorf, this small airport on the German-Dutch border is served by only one airline, the low-cost carrier Ryanair. It hosts flights to and from Spain, Italy, Morocco, the United Kingdom, Ukraine, and other destinations. Weeze airport is about 80km (50 miles) northwest of Dusseldorf, a distance that can be traveled by car in about 80 minutes.
- Dortmund Airport: Another airport served exclusively by low-cost airlines, Dortmund Airport handles about two million passengers every year. Primarily serving the city of the same name, it is about a one-and-a-half-hour drive northeast of Dusseldorf.
- By rail: If you arrive in Dusseldorf by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof.
Useful city facts
- Thanks to its relative proximity to the North Sea, Dusseldorf has an oceanic climate with moderately warm summers and cool winters. The average temperature is 19°C (66°F) in July, the hottest month, and 3°C (37°F) in December. The precipitation is even throughout the year except for some occasional snowfall and increased rain in December.
- Thanks to its many green areas, pedestrian-friendly city center, high level of education and healthcare, and status as a technological and financial hub, Dusseldorf has been frequently mentioned among the most liveable cities in Europe and among the top 10 in the world.
Top destinations and activities
St. Lambertus Basilika. If you have ever seen a postcard from Dusseldorf, the odds are quite good that St. Lambertus was on it. The impressive church built in the Lower Rhine Gothic style has been an important religious center and one of the landmarks of the city for centuries, perhaps thanks to its most recognizable feature, its twisted tower.
Media Harbor. Known as Medienhafen in German, this part of Dusseldorf was once the city harbor, and you can still see this past in the many remaining quays, depots, and warehouses. Nowadays, however, it has been turned into an upbeat neighborhood full of restaurants, coffee shops, and art centers. This mixture of old and new is perhaps what characterizes Dusseldorf the best.
Benrath Palace and Park. An impressive palace, Schloss Benrath has been standing at its place since the 18th Century. It is one of the finest examples of Rococo architecture in Germany. It is joined by a beautiful former orangery, as well as by a vast park that is perfect for long walks and a relaxing getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limit is 50km/h (31mph) in populated or built-up areas. There is no national speed limit on the autobahns (highways) and many of them don’t have a set speed limit. However, contrary to what is sometimes stated, about 50% of the autobahns have their own individual speed limits, so carefully follow the speed limit signs on each road that you drive on.
- Where speed limits are enforced, the tolerance for speeding is low. Driving just 3km/h (2mph) above the speed limit can, and often will, lead to a fine. Many roads that do have speed limits have radars in place.
- Some autobahns have a minimum speed limit that applies to specific lanes, for example, a minimum speed of 110km/h (68mph) for the left and 90km/h (56mph) for the center lane.
- Because of the very high speeds used by some on the German autobahns, be extra careful before switching lanes.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. This is strictly enforced and the fines are high.
- Children under the age of 12 have to use a child safety seat.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a license ban.
- Proof insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- If you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
Although Germany has a large number of high-speed motorways, only vehicles that weigh more than 7,5 tons need to pay a toll. This excludes practically all types of rental cars.
There are two tolled tunnels in Germany, the Herren Tunnel in Schleswig-Holstein and the Warnow Tunnel in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Neither of them is near Dusseldorf.
Find out more about the toll roads in Germany on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Bruhl. A small town near Cologne, Bruhl is one of the most picturesque places in Germany. It is known for its many historic buildings, the most famous of which, the Augustusburg Palace, is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Walking among Bruhl’s churches, fortresses, and exquisite hunting lodges feels like a trip back in time. Located about 70km (43 miles) south of Dusseldorf, Bruhl can be reached in about one hour.
- Cologne. There’s a century-long rivalry between Dusseldorf and Cologne. Famous for its magnificent cathedral, interesting museums, and the creative Agnesviertel, the largest city of the North-Rhine Westphalia indeed has a lot to offer. After visiting Dusseldorf and Cologne, you’ll probably conclude that both of them were worthy of your time. The distance between them can be covered in under one hour by car.
- The Rhine Valley. The scenic middle section of the Rhine River is dotted by many small towns and villages, each with a castle straight out of a fairy tale. Here you can also visit the famous Mittelrhein vineyards and sample amazing local rieslings. Or, if you’re up for something more active, explore the areas forests, meadows, and streams.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in Dusseldorf are the Toyota Aygo, the Skoda Fabia, and the Renault Clio, while the most popular rental car types are the compact, mini, and economy classes.
- Amsterdam. The capital of the Netherlands is considered one of the nicest cities in Europe for a reason. With a large historic city center, unique wooden architecture, world-class museums, and, of course, its famous canal system, it’s a fun place to explore. Only 230km (143 miles) northwest of Dusseldorf, it can be reached by car in two and a half hours. Keep in mind that you’d have to cross a international border, so first, ask your car rental provider if they permit it.
- Brussels. The capital of Belgium, NATO, and the EU, Brussels is known for its grand political standing, but it is also an upbeat, thriving metropolis with plenty to offer travelers. Appreciate its distinct architectural styles, explore its unique neighborhoods, and try what is arguably the most delicious cuisine in the region. Only 205km (127 miles) from Dusseldorf, it’s also easy to reach. Keep in mind that you’d have to cross an international border, so first, ask your car rental provider if they permit it.
- Munich. The largest city in southern Germany, Munich is as famous for its cathedrals, towers, and galleries, as it is for the scenic beauty of the nearby Bavarian Alps. Oktoberfest is, of course, the most famous of its festivals, but far from the only one. About 600km (373 miles) southeast of Dusseldorf, driving to Munich takes about six hours, but the destination is worth the trip.
Car Rental Prices in Dusseldorf
- Station wagons - from $61 per day
- Large cars - from $55 per day
- Medium cars - from $48 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $56 per day
- Premium cars - from $82 per day
- Small cars - from $37 per day
- SUVs - from $59 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Apply these tricks to get a great car rental deal in Dusseldorf:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Dusseldorf is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 55% cheaper than the yearly average and an entire 70% cheaper than renting a car just a month earlier in August.
Top 20 Cities near Dusseldorf
Berlin Car Rentals from $35.61 per day480.4 km / 298.5 miles away
Munich Car Rentals from $21.78 per day490.9 km / 305.1 miles away
Frankfurt Car Rentals from $33.09 per day179.9 km / 111.8 miles away
Hamburg Car Rentals from $20.32 per day334.2 km / 207.7 miles away
43.0 km / 26.7 miles away
Stuttgart Car Rentals from $21.78 per day322.2 km / 200.2 miles away
Nurnberg Car Rentals from $16.72 per day366.7 km / 227.9 miles away
Dresden Car Rentals from $20.72 per day487.4 km / 302.9 miles away
Bremen Car Rentals from $26.89 per day244.0 km / 151.6 miles away
Hannover Car Rentals from $28.73 per day240.0 km / 149.1 miles away
Dortmund Car Rentals from $40.95 per day63.9 km / 39.7 miles away
Münster Car Rentals from $31.43 per day97.0 km / 60.3 miles away
Leipzig Car Rentals from $20.72 per day386.6 km / 240.2 miles away
28.7 km / 17.8 miles away
Mannheim Car Rentals from $40.87 per day229.1 km / 142.4 miles away
Baden-Baden Car Rentals from $34.37 per day287.0 km / 178.3 miles away
Flensburg Car Rentals from $26.17 per day431.0 km / 267.8 miles away
Koblenz Car Rentals from $25.69 per day108.3 km / 67.3 miles away
Memmingen Car Rentals from $55.24 per day436.0 km / 270.9 miles away
Weeze Car Rentals from $42.19 per day62.9 km / 39.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Dusseldorf
Dusseldorf Train Station Car Rentals from $58.01 per day1.9 km / 1.2 miles away
Dusseldorf Oberbilk Car Rentals from $21.97 per day2.0 km / 1.3 miles away
Dusseldorf Heerdt Car Rentals from $21.97 per day7.0 km / 4.4 miles away
Dusseldorf Airport Car Rentals from $19.84 per day7.9 km / 4.9 miles away
Duisburg South Car Rentals from $20.87 per day19.8 km / 12.3 miles away
Wuppertal Barmen Car Rentals from $20.87 per day26.3 km / 16.3 miles away
Cologne Ehrenfeld Car Rentals from $21.97 per day31.7 km / 19.7 miles away
Cologne Train Station Car Rentals from $55.24 per day33.0 km / 20.5 miles away
Herne East Car Rentals from $20.87 per day46.0 km / 28.6 miles away
Cologne Bonn Airport Car Rentals from $22.09 per day46.0 km / 28.6 miles away
Dortmund Fredenbaum Car Rentals from $20.87 per day56.2 km / 34.9 miles away
Bonn Beuel-Mitte Car Rentals from $21.97 per day58.5 km / 36.4 miles away
Weeze/Niederrhein Airport Car Rentals from $42.19 per day62.9 km / 39.1 miles away
Dortmund Airport Car Rentals from $40.95 per day63.9 km / 39.7 miles away
Münster Osnabrück Airport Car Rentals from $60.90 per day117.3 km / 72.9 miles away
Paderborn Lippstadt Airport Car Rentals from $58.01 per day131.9 km / 81.9 miles away
Osnabrueck East Car Rentals from $26.89 per day145.4 km / 90.4 miles away
Frankfurt-Hahn Airport Car Rentals from $29.88 per day145.5 km / 90.4 miles away
Mainz South Car Rentals from $18.70 per day173.8 km / 108.0 miles away
Frankfurt West Car Rentals from $23.19 per day174.5 km / 108.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Dusseldorf?
What’s the usual rental length in Dusseldorf?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Dusseldorf?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Global Rent a Car||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||VW Passat aut.||4||2||Large cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent A Car||Opel Crossland||5||2||Medium cars|
|Global Rent A Car||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||Fiat Ducato||4||13||Large cars|