Car Rental in Hannover
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Hannover?
Hanover is a great city to visit. Although it might lack the grandeur of Hamburg or the historic appeal of some of the other nearby cities, the city’s quality museums, vast green spaces, and classy architecture still give a traveler plenty to enjoy. After seeing Hanover, you can drive to explore the rest of Northern Germany or pop over the border to the Netherlands.
One-Way Car Rentals in Hannover
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Hannover and drop off in another city include:
- From Hannover to Munich - 116 offers from 30.54 USD per day
- From Hannover to Bielefeld - 85 offers from 36.77 USD per day
- From Hannover to Hamburg - 152 offers from 36.05 USD per day
- From Hannover to Osnabrück - 85 offers from 36.77 USD per day
Top ways to enter Hannover
- Hanover Airport: The largest airport in Lower Saxony, Hanover-Langenhagen handled 6.3 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for low-cost and leisure airlines like Eurowings and Condor and is also served by around 30 other airlines. Located 20km (12.5 miles) north of Hanover, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Bremen Airport: Serving the large city of the same name, Bremen Airport handled about 2.5 million travelers in 2018. The airport serves plenty of destinations across Europe, as well as some in the Middle East and North Africa. Located 130km (81 miles) northwest of Hanover, the airport can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Hamburg Airport: The fifth-busiest in the country, Hamburg Airport handled 17 million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by more than 60 airlines, including low-cost carriers like Ryanair and Wizz Air. Located 180km (112 miles) north of Hanover, Hamburg Airport can be reached in two hours.
- Berlin Tegel Airport: The primary airport serving Germany’s capital, Tegel handled 22 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for the low-cost carrier easyJet and also has flights by around 40 other airlines. Located 280km (174 miles) east of Hanover, Berlin-Tegel can be reached in about three hours. Flying to Berlin’s other international airport, Schonefeld, can also be a convenient way to travel to Hannover.
- Frankfurt Airport: The busiest in the country and fourth-busiest in all of Europe, Frankfurt Airport was served by nearly 70 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for Lufthansa and has flights by tens of other airlines which provide connections with all of the inhabited continents of the world. Located 355km (220 miles) southwest of Hanover, Frankfurt Airport can be reached in about four hours.
Useful city facts
- Located near the North Sea coast, Hanover has an oceanic climate with warm summers and cool winters. The average high temperature is 24°C (74°F) in July, the warmest month (although individual summer days get significantly hotter), and 4°C (39°F) in January, the coldest. The level of precipitation is quite even throughout the year, with a slight increase every August.
- Founded during Medieval times, Hanover received city rights in the 13th century. Over the following centuries, the city was part of a number of different principalities and polities, including the Electorate of Hanover and the Kingdom of Hanover, of which it was the capital. As it was part of the Kingdom of Hanover, it later became part of Germany after World War One along with the rest of the kingdom.
Top destinations and activities
- Herrenhausen Gardens. Herrenhausen is not only one of the symbols of Hanover, but also one of the nicest public green areas in northern Germany. Created in the 17th century by the order of the King of Hanover, the gardens were made to resemble those of Versailles in France. Tourists can also visit the Herrenhausen Palace which was bombed in World War Two but was impressively renovated over the last decades.
- The History Museum. There’s a lot of royal history in Hanover, but it can be equally interesting to find out how the common people lived in the area over the centuries. The museum features a lot of interesting exhibitions about local traditions, architecture, and most the professions characteristic to the region; of course, the local aristocrats are not completely forgotten, either.
- Hanover Tramway Museum. Perhaps more so than in any other European country, trams hold a special place in the hearts of urban Germans - for decades, it was the main mode of transportation for thousands of city dwellers all over the country (in Hanover, the tram system was eventually replaced by a light rail network). The Tramway Museum honors this heritage and has plenty of interesting exhibits, from old-fashioned first trams to impressive low-floor, high-speed models.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limit is 50km/h (31 mph) in populated or built-up areas. There is no national speed limit on the autobahns (highways) and many of them don’t have a set speed limit. However, contrary to what is sometimes stated, about 50% of the autobahns do have their own individual speed limits, so carefully follow the speed limit signs on each road that you’re driving on.
- Where the speed limits are enforced, the tolerance for speeding is low. Driving just 3km/h (2 mph) above the speed limit can, and often will, lead to fines. Many roads that do have speed limits have radars in place.
- Some autobahns have a minimum speed limit that applies to specific lanes, for example, a minimum speed of 110km/h (68 mph) for the left and 90km/h (56 mph) for the center lane.
- Because of the very high speeds used by some on the German autobahns, be extra careful when switching lanes.
- Parking spaces in downtown Hanover can be very limited. It is often a better idea to use a Parkhaus, a paid parking garage.
- Many parking spaces are only available for the local inhabitants of the city. These are indicated by a sign that says "Parkausweis Nr.X" (with X being replaced by a number). If you park in these spaces, you risk receiving a fine.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. This is strictly enforced and the fines are high.
- Children under the age of 12 have to use a child safety seat.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
Although Germany has a large number of high-speed motorways, only vehicles that weigh more than 7,5 tons need to pay a toll. This excludes practically all types of rental cars.
There are two tolled tunnels in Germany, the Herren Tunnel in Schleswig-Holstein (about 225km or 140 mi northeast of Hanover) and the Warnow Tunnel in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (about 340km or 210 mi northeast of Hanover).
Find out more about the toll roads in Germany on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Hildesheim. The small and picturesque city on the River Innerste has been inhabited since the days of the Holy Roman Empire and often brands itself as one of the oldest cities in the region. Travelers enjoy its architectural gems including, St. Mary’s Cathedral, the City Hall, and the Butchers’ Guild Hall as well as the Roemer and Pelizaeus, one of the oldest museums in Germany. Located 35km (21 miles) south of Hanover, Hildesheim can be reached in about 35 minutes.
- Wolfsburg. Known as the headquarters of Volkswagen and the location of the world’s biggest car plant, Wolfsburg is sometimes thought of as business-like, industrial, and not very exciting. Those who give this old city a chance, however, will be rewarded with the beautiful Wolfsburg Castle, a tour of the VW factory, the Phaeno Science Center, and an impressive planetarium. Located just 90km (54 miles) east of Hanover, Wolfsburg can be reached in one hour and is definitely worth a shot.
- Bremen. A city that retains its independent Hanseatic title to this day, Bremen is proud in spirit and rich in culture. Visitors enjoy the famous statues of the Town Musicians of Bremen and Roland, the impressive Rathaus or town hall, and beautiful Art Nouveau architecture. Located 135km (84 miles) northwest of Hanover, Bremen takes about 90 minutes to reach.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Hannover is the Volkswagen Golf, although many travelers also go for the Ford Ka and the Toyota Aygo. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and mini.
- Berlin. Divided for almost 30 years and now united again for about the same time, it’s the unique blend of East and West that gives the city its unique character and continues to influence Berlin’s culture, way of life, and even cuisine. There are plenty of important sites (think Checkpoint Charlie and the remains of The Wall) for history buffs to enjoy, but with a dynamic arts, science, and technology scene, Berlin is a city that looks simultaneously towards the past and the future. Located 285km (177 miles) east of Hanover, Berlin can be reached in about three hours.
- Hamburg. The country’s second city, although unmistakably German, has a lot in common with places in Scandinavia. Its Hanseatic past; maritime heritage; classy, yet austere architecture; and frequent sea breeze make it one of its own kind. Creative and freethinking districts like St. Pauli and Altona mean there’s fun to be had, too. Located 160km (100 miles) north of Hanover, Hamburg takes two hours to reach.
- The Netherlands. Much of the land of tulips and windmills has literally been reclaimed from the sea and is a fascinating place to visit. One of the most densely populated countries in Europe, it is home to an array of unique cities (not just Amsterdam and the Hague, but also places like Maastricht and Utrecht), and there’s even enough space left for protected areas like Hoge Veluwe National Park and the gardens of Keukenhof. Amsterdam is about 375km (233 miles) west of Hanover and can be reached in about four hours. To make this trip, you’ll have to cross the border between Germany and the Netherlands and although no physical border checks are in place, you should still ask your rental car provider if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Hannover
- Station wagons - from $66 per day
- Large cars - from $62 per day
- Medium cars - from $57 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $105 per day
- Premium cars - from $88 per day
- Small cars - from $43 per day
- SUVs - from $67 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Get a great rental car in Hannover by following this advice:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Hannover is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 60% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 85% than renting a car in September. Come to Germany for your winter vacation!
Top 20 Cities near Hannover
Berlin Car Rentals from $56.86 per day261.0 km / 162.1 miles away
Munich Car Rentals from $57.54 per day498.5 km / 309.8 miles away
Frankfurt Car Rentals from $52.67 per day271.3 km / 168.6 miles away
Hamburg Car Rentals from $54.15 per day131.6 km / 81.8 miles away
Dusseldorf Car Rentals from $43.06 per day238.9 km / 148.5 miles away
Cologne Car Rentals from $50.93 per day252.5 km / 156.9 miles away
Stuttgart Car Rentals from $38.12 per day420.6 km / 261.4 miles away
Nurnberg Car Rentals from $47.00 per day343.7 km / 213.6 miles away
Flensburg Car Rentals from $26.93 per day257.5 km / 160.0 miles away
Dortmund Car Rentals from $44.49 per day176.4 km / 109.6 miles away
Bremen Car Rentals from $33.92 per day88.9 km / 55.3 miles away
Dresden Car Rentals from $41.67 per day317.1 km / 197.1 miles away
Weeze Car Rentals from $32.83 per day260.5 km / 161.8 miles away
Mannheim Car Rentals from $50.86 per day342.2 km / 212.7 miles away
Leipzig Car Rentals from $30.23 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Memmingen Car Rentals from $46.20 per day499.1 km / 310.1 miles away
Essen Car Rentals from $29.89 per day213.9 km / 132.9 miles away
Herne Car Rentals from $33.52 per day200.0 km / 124.3 miles away
Friedrichshafen Car Rentals from $46.20 per day532.7 km / 331.0 miles away
Münster Car Rentals from $33.93 per day151.8 km / 94.3 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Hannover
Hannover Airport Car Rentals from $39.22 per day10.1 km / 6.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $50.93 per day84.7 km / 52.6 miles away
Bremen Airport Car Rentals from $33.92 per day98.5 km / 61.2 miles away
Paderborn Lippstadt Airport Car Rentals from $61.55 per day114.5 km / 71.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $26.93 per day131.2 km / 81.5 miles away
Hamburg Central Train Station Car Rentals from $59.71 per day132.0 km / 82.0 miles away
Hamburg Airport Car Rentals from $54.15 per day140.4 km / 87.2 miles away
Münster Osnabrück Airport Car Rentals from $53.48 per day142.5 km / 88.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $33.93 per day152.2 km / 94.6 miles away
Dortmund Airport Car Rentals from $44.49 per day174.3 km / 108.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $33.52 per day198.8 km / 123.5 miles away
Leipzig/Halle Airport Car Rentals from $30.23 per day201.1 km / 125.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $29.89 per day212.7 km / 132.2 miles away
Dusseldorf Airport Car Rentals from $43.06 per day237.4 km / 147.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $29.89 per day239.5 km / 148.8 miles away
Dusseldorf Train Station Car Rentals from $53.48 per day240.0 km / 149.1 miles away
Berlin Tegel Airport Car Rentals from $37.60 per day241.1 km / 149.8 miles away
Berlin Steglitz Car Rentals from $38.42 per day243.6 km / 151.3 miles away
Berlin Zoo Train Station Car Rentals from $56.51 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Hannover?
What’s the usual rental length in Hannover?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Hannover?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||Ford Tourneo||4||2||People Carriers/Vans|
|Alamo||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Enterprise||BMW 3 Series STW||5||2||Station wagons|
|Enterprise||VW Passat||5||2||Large cars|
|Enterprise||Ford S-Max||4||2||People Carriers/Vans|
|Alamo||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
Top 13 Suppliers in Hannover in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email