Car Rental in Memmingen
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Memmingen?
Although most travelers only know Memmingen for its international airport which is favored by low-cost companies, this southern German city is a great travel destination. Cozy and accessible, it has everything from well-preserved architecture to interesting museums. After seeing Memmingen, you can explore the rest of southern Germany or even pop over the border to neighboring Switzerland or Austria.
One-Way Car Rentals in Memmingen
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Memmingen and drop off in another city include:
- From Memmingen to Friedrichshafen - 86 offers from $44.03 per day
- From Memmingen to Munich - 42 offers from $49.16 per day
Top ways to enter Memmingen
- Memmingen Airport: Also known as Memmingen-Allgau and sometimes called Munich-South for marketing purposes, this small airport is favored by low-cost airlines and is known as the cheapest place to fly to in southern Germany. Growing rapidly over the last five years, the airport was used by nearly 2 million travelers in 2022. Located 5 km (3.1 miles) west of Memmingen center, the airport can be reached in 10-15 minutes.
- Friedrichshafen Airport: A small airport in the neighboring German state of Baden-Wurttemberg which is sometimes also called Bodensee Airport or Lake Constance Airport, it served just over 339,550 travelers in 2022. The airport is served by 13 different airlines, including low-cost carriers like Lauda and Wizz Air. Located 84 km (52 miles) southwest of Memmingen, the airport can be reached in about one hour.
- Munich Airport: The second-busiest in Germany and tenth-busiest in all of Europe, Munich Airport handled 31.6 million travelers in 2022. The airport is a hub for Lufthansa and a focus city for Condor, Eurowings, and a number of other airlines. Primarily serving the capital of Bavaria, Munich Airport is 142 km (88 miles) northeast of Memmingen and can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Stuttgart Airport: Also known as Stuttgart-Echterdingen, the seventh-busiest airport in Germany handled more than 6.9 million travelers in 2022. The airport is served by around 45 different airlines, with most of the flights provided by Eurowings, and TUI fly Deutschland. Located 135 km (83 miles) northwest of Memmingen, Stuttgart Airport can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Zurich Airport: Serving the most populous city in Switzerland, Zurich Airport is the busiest in the country. In addition to flights to most other European countries, the airport also provides connections with Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Located 193 km (120 miles) southwest of Memmingen, Zurich Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. To travel from Zurich to Memmingen (or vice versa), you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Despite being far from the sea, Memmingen has an oceanic climate, albeit with some humid continental influences. The average high temperature in Memmingen is 24°C (76°F) in July, the warmest month, and4°C (39°F) in January, the coldest. Memmingen experiences significant snowfall every winter.
- The area of Memmingen has been inhabited since Roman times. A small military outpost at the edge of the empire, the settlement was then called Cassiliacum. Later, the city was ruled by Germanic tribes. In 1286, it received the status of Imperial City. The city became a part of the Electorate of Bavaria in 1802 and later joined the rest of Germany along with it.
Top destinations and activities
- Market Square. Not only is Memmingen’s Market Square, one of the most beautiful places in the city, it still fulfills its original function - if you’re visiting on Tuesday or Saturday, make sure to head to the market and buy some of the local produce sold by farmers from surrounding villages. The marketplace is near the town hall, the guild house, and the tax house, three historically important and picturesque buildings that are each worth a look.
- St. Martin’s Church. One of the oldest churches in the region, it remains Memmingen’s tallest building (and probably also the most photographed). Built in the 14th and 15th centuries, the church has been renovated a number of times but has always remained a symbol of the city. The inside of the church is available for tourists to see, although only from May to October.
- The Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony Monastery. Built by the Antonines, a Catholic congregation that has now ceased to exist, this building is another example of beautiful medieval architecture. Although no longer a monastery, it now hosts a local library, a city museum, and frequent art exhibitions and performances.
- Memmingen City Park New World. The park is spread over an area of 17 hectares and is a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. It was opened in 1992 and was designed by the renowned landscape architect Peter Latz. One of the key features of the park is the large lake in the center, which is surrounded by walking paths, picnic areas, and lush greenery. Visitors can rent paddle boats or rowboats to explore the lake and enjoy the scenery. The park also has a variety of gardens, including a rose garden, a herb garden, and a Japanese garden. In addition, the park features several sculptures and art installations that add to its charm and character.
- Swabian Farm Museum Illerbeuren. Located around 12 km (7.5 miles) south of Memmingen, the museum showcases the rural life of the Swabian region from the 16th century to the mid-20th century. It comprises of several original farmhouses, barns, and workshops that have been moved from their original locations to the museum. The buildings are set up to show the visitors the daily life of the farmers in the region. The museum has also reconstructed buildings that were destroyed during World War II.
Traffic and parking
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limit is 50 km/h (31mph) in populated or built-up areas. There is no national speed limit on the autobahns (highways) and many of them don’t have a set speed limit. However, contrary to what is sometimes stated, about 50% of the autobahns have their own individual speed limits, so carefully follow the speed limit signs on each road that you drive on.
- Where speed limits are enforced, the tolerance for speeding is low. Driving just 3 km/h (2mph) above the speed limit can, and often will, lead to a fine. Many roads that do have speed limits have radars in place.
- Some autobahns have a minimum speed limit that applies to specific lanes, for example, a minimum speed of 110 km/h (68mph) for the left and 90 km/h (56mph) for the center lane.
- Because of the very high speeds used by some on the German autobahns, be extra careful before switching lanes.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. This is strictly enforced and the fines are high.
- Children under the age of 12 have to use a child safety seat.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
Although Germany has a large number of high-speed highways, only vehicles that weigh more than 7,5 tons need to pay a toll. This excludes practically all types of rental cars.
There are two tolled tunnels in Germany, the Herren Tunnel in Schleswig-Holstein and the Warnow Tunnel in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Neither of them is near Memmingen.
Find out more about the toll roads in Germany on the European toll road website.
Ideas for day trips
- Neuschwanstein Castle. Perhaps the most famous sight in all of Germany is just under an hour's drive from Memmingen. Neuschwanstein Castle is a magnificent and enchanting castle nestled in the Bavarian Alps of southern Germany. It was built in the late 19th century by King Ludwig II of Bavaria as a personal retreat and tribute to his love for the arts and the romantic ideal of chivalry. The castle's stunning beauty and historical significance have made it a popular tourist destination, attracting millions of visitors from around the world each year. In fact, it's said to be the most photographed building in Germany, with its image gracing countless postcards, calendars, and travel brochures.
- Oberstdorf. A charming village situated in the Bavarian Alps of Germany, just a few kilometers from the Austrian border, it is a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts, as it boasts some of the best ski slopes and snowboarding parks in the region. However, Oberstdorf is also a great place to visit in the summer, offering a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, cycling, and climbing. One of the most popular attractions in Oberstdorf is the Nebelhorn, which is the highest peak in the Allgäu Alps. Visitors can take a cable car to the top of the mountain and enjoy stunning views of the surrounding peaks and valleys. Another worthwhile mountain excursion that you can reach by cable car is the Fellhorn. Beautiful views and good hiking opportunities await you here, too. A visit to the Breitachklamm is also worthwhile. This gorge is crossed by a hiking trail that leads along waterfalls, among other things. The old town of Oberstdorf, with its historic houses, is also worth a visit. The drive to Oberstdorf takes about one hour from Memmingen.
- Lake Constance. Shared by Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, Lake Constance (or Bodensee, as it is known in German) is as picturesque as they come. Surrounded by cozy little towns, old boat docks, and spas that date back centuries, it is the perfect place for a long and relaxing holiday. Bregenz, a beautiful Austrian city famous for a concert stage that floats in the lake, is just 75 km (46 miles) south of Memmingen and can be reached in less than an hour. If you plan to cross the border to the Austrian or Swiss side, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Augsburg. Historic, but youthful, Augsburg is a nice city in central Bavaria. Travelers come here for the city’s attractive old town which is full of cathedrals and castles, interesting museums, and a relaxed atmosphere. Located just 90 km (54 miles) northwest of Memmingen, Augsburg takes about an hour to reach by car.
- Munich. So much more than just the home of Oktoberfest, the capital of Bavaria is a stunning place to visit. Combining impressive architecture, the feeling of a little village, and the scenery of the nearby Alps, the city has something for every visitor. Walk down Briennerstraße, marvel at the Munich Cathedral, and, yes, if you’re done driving for the day, try one of the local beers (along with a hearty slice of leberkäse). Located 115 km (71 miles) east of Memmingen, Munich can be reached in just 90 minutes.
- Ulm. Located on the border of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg, Ulm is one of the coziest towns in Southern Germany. Best known for its church steeple which is said to be the highest in the world, Ulm is also home to the well-preserved Fishermen’s Quarter, Wiblingen Monastery that’s more than 900 years old, and even the Museum of Bread Culture. The drive from Memmingen takes only about 40 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Memmingen is the VW Up, although many travelers also go for the VW Polo and the Opel Astra. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and compact.
- The Alps. Although not as high as on the French or Swiss side, the Bavarian Alps lack nothing when it comes to scenic beauty. Sparsely populated but full of alpine lakes, rapid rivers, and wildlife, they offer Germany’s nicest hikes and drives. During winter, the area is also home to many high-quality ski resorts. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the site of the 1936 Winter Olympics and a large winter resort, is 125 km (77 miles) southeast of Memmingen and takes 90 minutes to reach.
- Switzerland. Another destination famous for its mountains, Switzerland is a great country to visit. Its nature areas are thrilling, but from Zurich, a truly modern metropolis, to cozy and picturesque little places like Schaffhausen, its cities can be just as interesting. If you’re up for a longer trip, you can even explore the country’s French and Italian-speaking parts. Sankt Gallen, the nearest city and a great destination in its own right, is 112 km (69 miles) southwest of Memmingen and can be reached in 1 hour and 30 minutes. To travel from Germany to Switzerland (or vice versa), you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- The Black Forest. An ancient forest, Schwarzwald is located in the German state of Baden-Wurttemberg on the border with France. The area, made up of sparse villages, long hiking trails, and low wooden guest houses, is one of the best German outdoor destinations. After seeing the forest, pay a visit to Freiburg or Heidelberg, two beautiful university cities on the edge of it. The Black Forest is some 200 km (125 miles) west of Memmingen and takes three hours to reach.
- Alsace. One of the most interesting regions of France, Alsace is right over the border from Baden-Württemberg. Perhaps best known for its sophisticated and politically important largest city, Strasbourg, the region is also home to scenic vineyards and the Vosges mountain range. The drive from Memmingen to Strasbourg takes less than four hours, and you can explore the rest of Alsace from there. As with Switzerland, ask your rental car supplier in advance if they permit you to cross the border.
Car Rental Prices in Memmingen
- Convertibles - from $92 per day
- Station wagons - from $64 per day
- Large cars - from $47 per day
- Medium cars - from $59 per day
- Vans - from $137 per day
- Premium cars - from $116 per day
- Small cars - from $38 per day
- SUVs - from $61 per day
Get a great rental car in Memmingen by following these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Memmingen is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 64% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Memmingen
Ulm Car Rentals from $40.99 per day50.0 km / 31.1 miles away
Lindau Car Rentals from $37.17 per day61.4 km / 38.2 miles away
Friedrichshafen Car Rentals from $53.90 per day64.0 km / 39.8 miles away
Augsburg Car Rentals from $40.99 per day66.6 km / 41.4 miles away
Konstanz Car Rentals from $37.17 per day86.9 km / 54.0 miles away
Reutlingen Car Rentals from $40.99 per day94.6 km / 58.8 miles away
Singen Car Rentals from $40.99 per day106.1 km / 65.9 miles away
Stuttgart Car Rentals from $27.17 per day108.0 km / 67.1 miles away
Munich Car Rentals from $25.94 per day122.5 km / 76.1 miles away
Landshut Car Rentals from $31.51 per day154.3 km / 95.9 miles away
Freiburg Car Rentals from $40.99 per day178.3 km / 110.8 miles away
Karlsruhe Car Rentals from $33.23 per day178.8 km / 111.1 miles away
Nurnberg Car Rentals from $26.82 per day179.2 km / 111.3 miles away
Regensburg Car Rentals from $41.72 per day180.0 km / 111.8 miles away
Baden-Baden Car Rentals from $41.47 per day181.0 km / 112.5 miles away
Erlangen Car Rentals from $40.99 per day186.4 km / 115.8 miles away
Heidelberg Car Rentals from $35.02 per day195.0 km / 121.2 miles away
Mannheim Car Rentals from $30.80 per day210.3 km / 130.7 miles away
Darmstadt Car Rentals from $40.99 per day241.1 km / 149.8 miles away
Kaiserslautern Car Rentals from $36.43 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Memmingen
Memmingen Airport Car Rentals from $38.11 per day
Friedrichshafen Airport Car Rentals from $53.90 per day64.0 km / 39.8 miles away
93.0 km / 57.8 miles away
Stuttgart Airport Car Rentals from $27.17 per day108.0 km / 67.1 miles away
Munich Airport Car Rentals from $25.94 per day122.5 km / 76.1 miles away
Nurnberg Airport Car Rentals from $26.82 per day179.2 km / 111.3 miles away
Baden-Airpark/Karlsruhe Airport Car Rentals from $51.93 per day181.0 km / 112.5 miles away
Frankfurt Airport Car Rentals from $26.28 per day258.0 km / 160.3 miles away
Frankfurt Central Station Car Rentals from $43.21 per day262.0 km / 162.8 miles away
Frankfurt West Car Rentals from $68.21 per day265.3 km / 164.8 miles away
Saarbruecken South Car Rentals from $37.22 per day271.2 km / 168.5 miles away
Frankfurt-Hahn Airport Car Rentals from $27.17 per day307.3 km / 190.9 miles away
Cologne Bonn Airport Car Rentals from $21.54 per day390.3 km / 242.5 miles away
Leipzig/Halle Airport Car Rentals from $47.64 per day409.6 km / 254.5 miles away
Dresden Airport Car Rentals from $33.10 per day433.0 km / 269.1 miles away
Dortmund Airport Car Rentals from $51.16 per day435.4 km / 270.5 miles away
Dusseldorf Airport Car Rentals from $35.40 per day443.8 km / 275.8 miles away
Weeze/Niederrhein Airport Car Rentals from $45.48 per day497.6 km / 309.2 miles away
Hannover Airport Car Rentals from $47.89 per day499.1 km / 310.1 miles away
Berlin Zoo Train Station Car Rentals from $30.66 per day548.9 km / 341.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Memmingen?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Memmingen?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Memmingen?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Keddy, GreenMotion, Enterprise, SIXT, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||Medium cars, Small cars, SUVs, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$38 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Hyundai Kona||5||3||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Skoda Kamiq||5||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Mercedes Benz A Class||4||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.