Car Rental in Memmingen
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Memmingen?
Although most travelers only know Memmingen for its international airport which is favored by low-cost companies, this southern German city is a great travel destination. Cozy and accessible, it has everything from well-preserved architecture to interesting museums. After seeing Memmingen, you can explore the rest of southern Germany or even pop over the border to neighboring Switzerland or Austria.
One-Way Car Rentals in Memmingen
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Memmingen and drop off in another city include:
- From Memmingen to Friedrichshafen - 86 offers from US$ 48.33 per day
- From Memmingen to Munich - 42 offers from US$ 53.95 per day
Top ways to enter Memmingen
- Memmingen Airport: Also known as Memmingen-Allgau and sometimes called Munich-South for marketing purposes, this small airport is favored by low-cost airlines and is known as the cheapest place to fly to in southern Germany. Growing rapidly for the last five years, it is expected to serve 1.5 million travelers for the first time in its history in 2019. Located 5 km (3.1 miles) west of Memmingen center, the airport can be reached in 10-15 minutes.
- Friedrichshafen Airport: A small airport in the neighboring German state of Baden-Wurttemberg which is sometimes also called Bodensee Airport or Lake Constance Airport, it served just over 500,000 travelers in 2018. The airport is served by 11 different airlines including low-cost carriers like Lauda and Wizz Air. Located 84 km (52 miles) southwest of Memmingen, the airport can be reached in about one hour.
- Munich Airport: The second-busiest in Germany and eighth-busiest in all of Europe, Munich Airport handled 46 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for Lufthansa and a focus city for Condor, Eurowings, and a number of other airlines. Primarily serving the capital of Bavaria, Munich Airport is 142 km (88 miles) northeast of Memmingen and can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Stuttgart Airport: Also known as Stuttgart-Echterdingen, the sixth-busiest airport in Germany handled more than 10 million travelers in 2018. The airport is served by around 30 different airlines with most of the flights provided by Lauda, Eurowings, and TUI fly Deutschland. Located 135 km (83 miles) northwest of Memmingen, Stuttgart Airport can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Zurich Airport: Serving the most populous city in Switzerland, Zurich Airport is the busiest in the country. In addition to flights to most other European countries, the airport also provides connections with Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Located 193 km (120 miles) southwest of Memmingen, Zurich Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. To travel from Zurich to Memmingen (or vice versa), you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Useful city facts
- Despite being far from the sea, Memmingen has an oceanic climate, albeit with some humid continental influences. The average high temperature in Memmingen is 24°C (76°F) in July, the warmest month, and4°C (39°F) in January, the coldest. Memmingen experiences significant snowfall every winter.
- The area of Memmingen has been inhabited since Roman times. A small military outpost at the edge of the empire, the settlement was then called Cassiliacum. Later, the city was ruled by Germanic tribes. In 1286, it received the status of Imperial City. The city became a part of the Electorate of Bavaria in 1802 and later joined the rest of Germany along with it.
Top destinations and activities
- Market Square. Not only is Memmingen’s Market Square, one of the most beautiful places in the city, it still fulfills its original function - if you’re visiting on Tuesday or Saturday, make sure to head to the market and buy some of the local produce sold by farmers from surrounding villages. The marketplace is near the town hall, the guild house, and the tax house, three historically important and picturesque buildings that are each worth a look.
- St. Martin’s Church. One of the oldest churches in the region, it remains Memmingen’s tallest building (and probably also the most photographed). Built in the 14th and 15th centuries, the church has been renovated a number of times but has always remained a symbol of the city. The inside of the church is available for tourists to see, although only from May to October.
- The Hospital Brothers of St. Anthony Monastery. Built by the Antonines, a Catholic congregation that has now ceased to exist, this building is another example of beautiful medieval architecture. Although no longer a monastery, it now hosts a local library, a city museum, and frequent art exhibitions and performances.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limit is 50 km/h (31mph) in populated or built-up areas. There is no national speed limit on the autobahns (highways) and many of them don’t have a set speed limit. However, contrary to what is sometimes stated, about 50% of the autobahns have their own individual speed limits, so carefully follow the speed limit signs on each road that you drive on.
- Where speed limits are enforced, the tolerance for speeding is low. Driving just 3 km/h (2mph) above the speed limit can, and often will, lead to a fine. Many roads that do have speed limits have radars in place.
- Some autobahns have a minimum speed limit that applies to specific lanes, for example, a minimum speed of 110 km/h (68mph) for the left and 90 km/h (56mph) for the center lane.
- Because of the very high speeds used by some on the German autobahns, be extra careful before switching lanes.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. This is strictly enforced and the fines are high.
- Children under the age of 12 have to use a child safety seat.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
Although Germany has a large number of high-speed highways, only vehicles that weigh more than 7,5 tons need to pay a toll. This excludes practically all types of rental cars.
There are two tolled tunnels in Germany, the Herren Tunnel in Schleswig-Holstein and the Warnow Tunnel in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Neither of them is near Memmingen.
Find out more about the toll roads in Germany on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Lake Constance. Shared by Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, Lake Constance (or Bodensee, as it is known in German) is as picturesque as they come. Surrounded by cozy little towns, old boat docks, and spas that date back centuries, it is the perfect place for a long and relaxing holiday. Bregenz, a beautiful Austrian city famous for a concert stage that floats in the lake, is just 75 km (46 miles) south of Memmingen and can be reached in less than an hour. If you plan to cross the border to the Austrian or Swiss side, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Augsburg. Historic, but youthful, Augsburg is a nice city in central Bavaria. Travelers come here for the city’s attractive old town which is full of cathedrals and castles, interesting museums, and a relaxed atmosphere. Located just 90 km (54 miles) northwest of Memmingen, Augsburg takes about an hour to reach by car.
- Munich. So much more than just the home of Oktoberfest, the capital of Bavaria is a stunning place to visit. Combining impressive architecture, the feeling of a little village, and the scenery of the nearby Alps, the city has something for every visitor. Walk down Briennerstraße, marvel at the Munich Cathedral, and, yes, if you’re done driving for the day, try one of the local beers (along with a hearty slice of leberkäse). Located 115 km (71 miles) east of Memmingen, Munich can be reached in just 90 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Memmingen is the VW Up, although many travelers also go for the VW Polo and the Opel Astra. The most popular rental car types are mini, economy, and compact.
- The Alps. Although not as high as on the French or Swiss side, the Bavarian Alps lack nothing when it comes to scenic beauty. Sparsely populated but full of alpine lakes, rapid rivers, and wildlife, they offer Germany’s nicest hikes and drives. During winter, the area is also home to many high-quality ski resorts. Garmisch-Partenkirchen, the site of the 1936 Winter Olympics and a large winter resort, is 125 km (77 miles) southeast of Memmingen and takes 90 minutes to reach.
- Switzerland. Another destination famous for its mountains, Switzerland is a great country to visit. Its nature areas are thrilling, but from Zurich, a truly modern metropolis, to cozy and picturesque little places like Schaffhausen, its cities can be just as interesting. If you’re up for a longer trip, you can even explore the country’s French and Italian-speaking parts. Sankt Gallen, the nearest city and a great destination in its own right, is 112 km (69 miles) southwest of Memmingen and can be reached in 1 hour and 30 minutes. To travel from Germany to Switzerland (or vice versa), you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- The Black Forest. An ancient forest, Schwarzwald is located in the German state of Baden-Wurttemberg on the border with France. The area, made up of sparse villages, long hiking trails, and low wooden guest houses, is one of the best German outdoor destinations. After seeing the forest, pay a visit to Freiburg or Heidelberg, two beautiful university cities on the edge of it. The Black Forest is some 200 km (125 miles) west of Memmingen and takes three hours to reach.
Car Rental Prices in Memmingen
- Station wagons - from $60 per day
- Large cars - from $57 per day
- Medium cars - from $49 per day
- Premium cars - from $73 per day
- Small cars - from $42 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Get a great rental car in Memmingen by following these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Memmingen is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 64% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Memmingen
Berlin Car Rentals from $26.82 per day550.4 km / 342.0 miles away
Munich Car Rentals from $31.34 per day103.4 km / 64.3 miles away
Frankfurt Car Rentals from $26.59 per day257.0 km / 159.7 miles away
Dusseldorf Car Rentals from $45.93 per day435.2 km / 270.4 miles away
Hamburg Car Rentals from $45.79 per day619.5 km / 385.0 miles away
Cologne Car Rentals from $30.62 per day402.2 km / 249.9 miles away
Stuttgart Car Rentals from $35.39 per day116.0 km / 72.1 miles away
Nurnberg Car Rentals from $29.09 per day180.6 km / 112.2 miles away
Mannheim Car Rentals from $40.03 per day206.3 km / 128.2 miles away
Hannover Car Rentals from $29.84 per day499.3 km / 310.2 miles away
Dortmund Car Rentals from $28.43 per day434.5 km / 270.0 miles away
Bremen Car Rentals from $23.06 per day571.8 km / 355.3 miles away
Weeze Car Rentals from $41.66 per day496.2 km / 308.3 miles away
Leipzig Car Rentals from $28.57 per day411.0 km / 255.4 miles away
Dresden Car Rentals from $21.47 per day425.8 km / 264.6 miles away
Baden-Baden Car Rentals from $43.80 per day178.6 km / 111.0 miles away
Flensburg Car Rentals from $26.98 per day756.8 km / 470.2 miles away
Friedrichshafen Car Rentals from $41.66 per day61.3 km / 38.1 miles away
Münster Car Rentals from $27.75 per day476.7 km / 296.2 miles away
Hahn/Lautzenhausen Car Rentals from $32.58 per day305.6 km / 189.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Memmingen
Memmingen Airport Car Rentals from $41.66 per day3.0 km / 1.9 miles away
Friedrichshafen Airport Car Rentals from $41.66 per day61.3 km / 38.1 miles away
Munich Laim Train Station Car Rentals from $41.66 per day99.3 km / 61.7 miles away
Munich Central Train Station Car Rentals from $31.34 per day103.4 km / 64.3 miles away
Stuttgart Airport Car Rentals from $26.44 per day106.3 km / 66.0 miles away
Stuttgart Train Station Car Rentals from $35.39 per day116.0 km / 72.1 miles away
Munich Airport Car Rentals from $25.83 per day125.5 km / 78.0 miles away
Rosenheim Train Station Car Rentals from $37.78 per day144.6 km / 89.9 miles away
Nurnberg Train Station Car Rentals from $35.98 per day175.4 km / 109.0 miles away
Baden-Airpark/Karlsruhe Airport Car Rentals from $43.80 per day178.6 km / 111.0 miles away
Nurnberg Airport Car Rentals from $29.09 per day180.6 km / 112.2 miles away
Mannheim City Airport Car Rentals from $40.03 per day206.3 km / 128.2 miles away
Frankfurt Airport Car Rentals from $26.59 per day257.0 km / 159.7 miles away
Frankfurt Central Station Car Rentals from $41.66 per day261.1 km / 162.2 miles away
Frankfurt-Hahn Airport Car Rentals from $32.58 per day305.6 km / 189.9 miles away
Cologne Bonn Airport Car Rentals from $27.20 per day388.9 km / 241.7 miles away
Cologne Train Station Car Rentals from $48.23 per day403.5 km / 250.7 miles away
Leipzig/Halle Airport Car Rentals from $28.57 per day411.0 km / 255.4 miles away
Paderborn Lippstadt Airport Car Rentals from $33.99 per day419.3 km / 260.5 miles away
Dortmund Airport Car Rentals from $28.43 per day434.5 km / 270.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Memmingen?
What’s the usual rental length in Memmingen?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Memmingen?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SIXT||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Skoda Scala Aut.||5||1||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Skoda Scala||5||1||Medium cars|
|SIXT||MINI 3-Türer||3||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Dollar||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Audi A4 Avant aut.||5||3||Station wagons|
|SIXT||VW Passat Variant||5||3||Station wagons|