Car Rental in Venice
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Venice?
Known for its canals, but also beautiful art galleries and historic landmarks, the floating city of Venice is a destination like no other. The city’s historic center and most of the islands can only be visited on foot, but having your own ride will still be useful to explore Meste, the city’s mainland area, and to visit other nearby attractions like Verona or Padua.
One-Way Car Rentals in Venice
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Venice and drop off in another city include:
- From Venice to Verona - 207 offers from $17.09 per day
- From Venice to Rome - 387 offers from $17.74 per day
- From Venice to Naples - 138 offers from $17.74 per day
- From Venice to Bergamo - 155 offers from $20.45 per day
- From Venice to Milan - 145 offers from $20.48 per day
Top ways to enter Venice
- Venice Airport: Located just 8 km (4.9 mi) of the city center, Venice Marco Polo is the fourth busiest airport in Italy.
- Verona Airport: Small, cozy, and less than 90 minutes drive from Venice, Verona Airport is especially active during the summer months.
- Treviso Airport: Just 40 minutes drive north of Venice, Treviso Airport is popular with many low-cost carriers.
- By sea or rail: If you’re arriving in Venice by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car the Port of Venice. If you’re arriving by train, you can pick up your rental car at the Venice Mestre Railway Station.
- The municipality of Venice is divided into six boroughs. The history city borough that has most of Venice’s landmarks is further divided into six areas.
- Venice experiences pleasantly warm summers, with sea water temperature sometimes exceeding 25 °C (77 °F) in July and August. The average air temperature in January, the coldest month, is 3.3 °C (37.9 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Doge’s Palace. Arguably the most famous building in Venice, Doge’s Palace is the former home of the Venetian monarchs and as such was the symbolic center of the Republic of Venice which ruled the Adriatic and Ionian seas for close to 800 years. Built in the 14th century, the palace was later turned into a museum that will celebrate its 100th birthday in 2023.
- St Mark's Basilica. Another world-famous building and symbol of the city, San Marco is arguably one of the most beautiful churches in all of Italy. Built in the 10th and 11th centuries, it is known for its spectacular domes and ornate exterior and interior. The palace is at the eastern end of St. Marco Square, the busiest and most popular area of Venice.
- Venetian Ghetto. One of the oldest of its kind in the world — in fact, the word ‘ghetto’ comes from the Venetian dialect — the old Jewish quarter of Venice is one of the city’s most fascinating areas. Unlike many other Jewish quarters around Europe, this one remains home to a large and busy Jewish community. Located in Cannaregio, the northernmost of the six main districts of Venice, it is home to no less than five synagogues, the Venetian Jewish Museum, and a number of Jewish restaurants and cultural centers.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Padua. Called Padova in Italian, this city just 40 km (25 mi) west of Venice has the Basilica of St. Anthony, the Scrovegni Chapel, and the oldest Botanical Gardens in the world.
- Verona. Home to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, of course, but also to impressive architecture, ancient artefacts, and delicious cuisine, Verona is a great place to visit.
- Vicenza. Less than an hour from Venice, Vicenza is a UNESCO World Herritage site due to the architectural works of Andrea Palladio.
- Greater Venice. In addition to the ‘main’ city, Venice is also made up of a number of beautiful islands such as Murano, Burano, and Lido. Bohemian, relaxed, and each with its own unique character, some locals and visitors will claim that these islands are more Venetian than Venice itself.
Most popular cars
The most often picked rental car in Italy are the Fiat Panda, although the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500 are also very popular. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
For more about traveling around Italy with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Slovenia, Croatia, or Austria. These three unique countries each make a worthy travel destination in their own right, but the fact that they can be reached by car in a matter of hours means they a great next destination after Venice. Note that to visit any of these three countries you’ll have to cross at least one national border, so first check with your rental car provider if they permit it.
- Tuscany. Picturesque, traditional and welcoming, Tuscany embodies Italy through and through, from cities like Pisa and Florence to famous Chianti wineries.
- Lombardy. From bustling Milan to Lake Como and the Alps, nearby Lombardy offers all the right reasons to go and explore it.
Car Rental Prices in Venice
- Station wagons - from $184 per day
- Large cars - from $214 per day
- Medium cars - from $125 per day
- Vans - from $263 per day
- Premium cars - from $355 per day
- Small cars - from $98 per day
- SUVs - from $233 per day
Here are some tips & tricks for getting a cheap rental car deal in Venice:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Venice is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 57% cheaper than the yearly average and almost unbelievable 79% cheaper than renting a car in April. Also on the plus side, even though the weather will be colder than in spring or summer, there will be significantly less other travelers in the city.
Top 19 Cities near Venice
Rome Car Rentals from $46.23 per day396.6 km / 246.4 miles away
Milan Car Rentals from $105.30 per day242.9 km / 150.9 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $126.97 per day535.5 km / 332.8 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $49.48 per day204.7 km / 127.2 miles away
202.5 km / 125.8 miles away
Bari Car Rentals from $76.58 per day598.7 km / 372.0 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $61.26 per day128.9 km / 80.1 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $88.92 per day103.8 km / 64.5 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $114.89 per day362.8 km / 225.5 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $135.74 per day242.1 km / 150.4 miles away
Brindisi Car Rentals from $56.96 per day701.4 km / 435.8 miles away
Mestre Venice Car Rentals from $136.99 per day7.8 km / 4.9 miles away
Treviso Car Rentals from $89.37 per day24.9 km / 15.4 miles away
290.2 km / 180.3 miles away
Lamezia Terme Car Rentals from $59.07 per day795.3 km / 494.2 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $108.51 per day138.7 km / 86.2 miles away
Brescia Car Rentals from $141.18 per day166.7 km / 103.6 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $44.38 per day142.0 km / 88.2 miles away
Sorrento Car Rentals from $108.02 per day561.0 km / 348.6 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Venice
Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $136.99 per day7.8 km / 4.9 miles away
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $53.16 per day7.8 km / 4.9 miles away
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $96.72 per day8.2 km / 5.1 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $89.37 per day24.9 km / 15.4 miles away
Padua Est Car Rentals from $127.02 per day29.6 km / 18.4 miles away
Padua Piazza Aldo Moro Car Rentals from $95.98 per day30.8 km / 19.1 miles away
Padua Train Station Car Rentals from $116.71 per day33.8 km / 21.0 miles away
Vicenza Railway Station Car Rentals from $123.89 per day61.2 km / 38.0 miles away
Trento Borgo Valsugana Car Rentals from $111.28 per day95.0 km / 59.0 miles away
Trieste Airport Car Rentals from $66.75 per day99.9 km / 62.1 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $51.42 per day111.2 km / 69.1 miles away
Ravenna Fornace Zarattini Car Rentals from $136.99 per day114.4 km / 71.1 miles away
Trieste Train Station Car Rentals from $185.39 per day116.2 km / 72.2 miles away
Mantova Mottella Downotwn Car Rentals from $126.42 per day119.0 km / 74.0 miles away
Mantova Valdaro Car Rentals from $117.22 per day119.3 km / 74.1 miles away
Bologna Funo Car Rentals from $136.99 per day120.9 km / 75.1 miles away
Mantova Malpensata-Gombetto Car Rentals from $117.22 per day123.8 km / 76.9 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $61.26 per day128.9 km / 80.1 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $89.05 per day128.9 km / 80.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Venice?
What’s the usual rental length in Venice?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Venice?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Viaggiare||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat Punto||5||2||Medium cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.