Car Rental in Rhodes
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rhodes?
The island of Rhodes is a fascinating place to explore by car. Although its territory is quite small, there is plenty to explore, from Rhodes Town to ancient monuments, stunning beaches, and nice nature areas. The public buses can often be overcrowded and do not reach some landmarks at all, so getting a rental car is your best bet to see as much as you’d like and to travel outside the main tourist areas.
Top ways to enter Rhodes
- Rhodes Airport: The only international airport on the island, Rhodes-Diagoras handles about 5.5 million travelers every year. The airport is extremely busy during the summer months when it is served by more than 30 different airlines, including low-cost carriers like Ryanair, Norwegian Air, easyJet, and Eurowings. During the winter months, however, only a handful of domestic flights are operating. Rhodes Airport is about 14 km (8.7 mi) southwest of Rhodes City, a trip that can be made in 15 minutes by car.
- By sea: Multiple ferries connect Rhodes to many other Greek islands, as well as mainland destinations like the capital city, Athens. It’s worth keeping in mind, however, that the service is a lot more active during the warm months of the year (during this time, it’s also a good idea to book your ferry tickets in advance). Most ferry companies permit bringing a rental car on board, but it’s good to make sure beforehand. You should also ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. In addition to connections with Greek destinations, there are also ferries between Rhodes and Bodrum, Fethiye, and other destinations in Turkey. Many rental car providers do not permit crossing the border between the two countries! A better idea is to pick up a rental car after arriving at your destination. It’s also worth keeping in mind that unlike Greece, is not a member of the EU and the Schengen Area, so you should check whether you need a visa to enter either country. If you’re arriving in Rhodes by sea, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Rhodes Port.
Useful city facts
- Like many other Greek islands, Rhodes enjoys a warm Mediterranean climate. It is not unusual for temperatures to reach 30 °C (86 °F) in summer and even in winter the temperature can often reach 15°C (60 °F). Summers are extremely dry, so keeping hydrated is important at all times. Winters, on the other hand, see quite a lot of precipitation.
- Rhodes has been inhabited since long before the written history and very little is known about the island’s first inhabitants. Later, Rhodes was home to the Minoans, one of the first European civilizations, before being absorbed by the Ancient Greeks. Many Greek myths and legends take place in Rhodes and the island is home to a wealth of historic sites.
- Although a part of Greece, Rhodes is located about 360 km (225 mi) from the Greek mainland, but just 18 km (11 mi) from Turkey. For some centuries, the island used to be a part of the Ottoman Empire and a small, but thriving Muslim community continues to inhabit the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Rhodes Old Town. Considering that only slightly more than 100,000 people live in the city of Rhodes, the size of its medieval old town is quite impressive. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is best known for its fortifications, gates, and palaces. It’s also a good place to sample local delicacies such as karavolous, snails cooked in tomato sauce.
- Rhodes Archaeological Museum. Like most other places in Greece, Rhodes has a very long and fascinating history. The museum has many interesting artifacts from the different civilizations that have inhabited the island, from the Minoans and Mycenaeans to the Classical Greeks, early Christians, and Ottomans.
- Faliraki. This small beach resort, about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the island’s airport, is famous for its nightlife, but many travelers know it first and foremost as the best spot in Rhodes for water sports.
Traffic and parking tips
- There are no highways on Rhodes (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While the larger roads are in good shape, the smaller roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many gas stations might be closed during weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads in Rhodes. There are, however, a number of tolled roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex toll system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made with cash at a toll gate, by a credit card, or with coins at an automatic toll machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder might be used to pay for using the toll road. Some rental cars may be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different toll systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not for others. Determine out your route in advance and ask your car rental provider about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Asklipio. This small inland village is named after the Greek god of medicine and was once home to a healing cult. Many locals love this place for its traditional Greek architecture and its Folklore Museum. Asklipio also boasts two very impressive buildings, the Dormition of the Theotokos church that has beautiful frescoes inside and the Asklipio Castle that offers a magnificent view of the sea in the distance. Asklipio is about 60 km (35 mi) from the town of Rhodes.
- Lindos. A small and relaxed fishing village, and great historical site, Lindos is most famous for its impressive acropolis, a natural citadel that often kept the islanders safe from invaders. the Doric Temple of Athena Lindia is Even older than the acropolis. Lindos is about 50 km (30 mi) south of Rhodes Town.
- Archangelos. The second largest settlement on Rhodes, Archangelos boasts a number of beautiful churches (as you’d expect, judging by its name), as well as Epta Piges or Seven springs, a beautiful green area with a waterfall.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Rhodes is the Citroen C3, although travelers also love the VW Polo, and the Hyundai i30. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini. Many of the roads in Rhodes are quite narrow, so picking a smaller vehicle is a good idea.
- Karpathos. Traveling to this little island south of Rhodes can feel like going back in time. Karpathos is perhaps even more famous for its local culture and traditions than its beaches. There is a ferry service from Rhodes, and it might be possible to bring your rental car on boat, but do ask your car rental provider if they permit it first. Alternatively, you can drop off your rental car in Rhodes and pick up another one in Karpathos.
- Kos. In addition to all the other pleasures that you’d expect from a Greek island, Kos excels in snorkelling opportunities and also has a hot spring. There is a ferry service from Rhodes, and it might be possible to bring your rental car onboard, but do ask your car rental provider if they permit it first . Alternatively, you can drop off your rental car in Rhodes and pick up another one in Kos.
- Marmaris and Bodrum. The two Turkish resort towns have truly stunning beaches, but are quite different and unique in atmosphere. They also offer the opportunity to travel further inland or along the Aegean coast. While there is a ferry service, it will most likely not be possible to pick up your rental car in Greece and drop it off in Turkey, so you’ll have to pick up another one in Bodrum or Marmaris. Also, make sure your entry documentation for Turkey is in order (Greece is a member of the EU while Turkey is not).
Car Rental Prices in Rhodes
- Convertibles - from $533 per day
- Large cars - from $231 per day
- Medium cars - from $371 per day
- Vans - from $178 per day
- Premium cars - from $37 per day
- Small cars - from $318 per day
- SUVs - from $106 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these things to get the best car rental deal in Rhodes:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rhodes is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 80% cheaper than the yearly average and an unbelievable 90% cheaper than visiting in July.
Top 20 Cities near Rhodes
301.1 km / 187.1 miles away
Athens Car Rentals from $15.92 per day439.1 km / 272.9 miles away
Corfu Car Rentals from $52.32 per day808.2 km / 502.2 miles away
Chania Car Rentals from $47.01 per day388.2 km / 241.2 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Rentals from $30.10 per day654.8 km / 406.9 miles away
Kos Car Rentals from $22.13 per day108.4 km / 67.3 miles away
Zakynthos Car Rentals from $24.94 per day666.4 km / 414.1 miles away
Mykonos Car Rentals from $42.87 per day278.8 km / 173.2 miles away
Kefalonia Car Rentals from $78.31 per day710.8 km / 441.7 miles away
Santorini Car Rentals from $79.14 per day247.4 km / 153.7 miles away
Naxos Car Rentals from $73.78 per day264.1 km / 164.1 miles away
Preveza Car Rentals from $60.24 per day714.1 km / 443.7 miles away
Skiathos Car Rentals from $19.11 per day514.2 km / 319.5 miles away
Faliraki Car Rentals from $76.37 per day8.1 km / 5.0 miles away
Paros Car Rentals from $40.16 per day283.1 km / 175.9 miles away
548.5 km / 340.8 miles away
Samos Car Rentals from $17.34 per day203.2 km / 126.3 miles away
Lefkada Car Rentals from $75.10 per day713.1 km / 443.1 miles away
Lardos Car Rentals from $29.50 per day46.6 km / 28.9 miles away
Rethymno Car Rentals from $39.52 per day358.3 km / 222.6 miles away
Top 18 Locations near Rhodes
Atlantica Princess Hotel Car Rentals from $21.28 per day5.6 km / 3.5 miles away
Rhodes Ialysos Car Rentals from $47.50 per day6.9 km / 4.3 miles away
Rhodes Airport Car Rentals from $18.11 per day13.0 km / 8.1 miles away
Hotel Golden Odyssey Car Rentals from $57.55 per day22.0 km / 13.7 miles away
Holiday Village Rhodes Car Rentals from $57.55 per day22.5 km / 14.0 miles away
Hotel Aegean Blue Car Rentals from $57.55 per day22.7 km / 14.1 miles away
Lindos Blu Hotel Car Rentals from $57.55 per day40.2 km / 25.0 miles away
Lindos Mare Hotel Car Rentals from $57.55 per day40.2 km / 25.0 miles away
Rhodes Pefkos Car Rentals from $51.91 per day43.8 km / 27.2 miles away
Lindos Princess Hotel Car Rentals from $21.28 per day44.3 km / 27.5 miles away
Lindian Village Hotel Car Rentals from $29.50 per day46.6 km / 28.9 miles away
Rhodes Gennadi Car Rentals from $51.91 per day54.5 km / 33.8 miles away
Kos Port Car Rentals from $46.97 per day97.5 km / 60.6 miles away
Kos Airport Car Rentals from $22.13 per day108.4 km / 67.3 miles away
Leros Agia Marina Port Car Rentals from $21.23 per day145.7 km / 90.5 miles away
Karpathos Airport Car Rentals from $36.34 per day149.3 km / 92.8 miles away
Patmos Skala Port Car Rentals from $50.07 per day178.7 km / 111.0 miles away
Samos Airport Car Rentals from $31.60 per day181.2 km / 112.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rhodes?
What’s the usual rental length in Rhodes?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rhodes?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|EXER||Toyota Aygo||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Peugeot 208||4||2||Small cars|
|Autocandia||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.