Car Rental in Montreal
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Montreal?
Montreal is a great place to visit that’s full of culture. Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful cities in North America, it combines elegant historic architecture with sophisticated museums and contemporary art spaces. After seeing the city, you can drive to explore the rest of the vast and diverse province of Quebec.
One-Way Car Rentals in Montreal
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Montreal and drop off in another city include:
- From Montreal to Chicago - 17 offers from $75.59 per day
- From Montreal to Toronto - 62 offers from $61.66 per day
- From Montreal to Quebec City - 30 offers from $73.27 per day
- From Montreal to Dieppe - 15 offers from $61.66 per day
- From Montreal to Vancouver - 15 offers from $131.67 per day
Top ways to enter Montreal
- Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport. The third-busiest in Canada, Montreal Airport served 19.4 million travelers in 2018. The airport is named after Pierre Trudeau, a former prime minister of Canada and the father of current Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau. Located about 20km (12 miles) west of downtown, the airport can be reached in 30 to 40 minutes.
- Ottawa Airport. Serving Canada’s capital city, Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Airport handles nearly five million travelers every year. The airports host a number of domestic flights as well as flights to and from the United States, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Located near the border of Ontario and Quebec, Ottawa Airport is 200km (125 miles) west of Montreal and can be reached in about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Quebec City Airport. Located in the capital of Quebec, this airport handles many flights to and from small communities in the northern part of Quebec as well as other destinations in Canada and abroad. Located 250km (155 miles) northeast of Montreal, the airport can be reached in 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Montreal has a humid continental climate with warm summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature in the city is 26°C (79°F) in July, the warmest month, and -5°C (22°F) in January, the coldest. The rainiest period of the year is between June and September; February is the driest month.
- Montreal, like the rest of Quebec, is a primarily French-speaking city, but there is also a large community of native English speakers. Around 60% of Montreal’s residents are fluent in both languages, and this includes the majority of people working in the tourism and service industries. Other languages such as Italian, Arabic, and Spanish also have a large number of native speakers in the city.
- The largest part of Montreal is located on the Island of Montreal, a large island at the meeting point of the Saint Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers. Montreal is made up of 19 boroughs that are further divided into neighborhoods. Many neighborhoods have a distinct character. Some of the best-known are Little Italy, downtown, Mile End, and Old Montreal. Montreal has a population of around 1.8 million, making it the second-largest city in Canada. Another 2.3 million people live in its wider metropolitan area.
Top destinations and activities
- Old Montreal. Also known as Vieux-Montréal, the most famous part of the city is made up of narrow cobblestone streets, the Old Montreal Port, and some of the oldest European architecture in North America. First, visit Jacques-Cartier Street which is full of tiny galleries, classy restaurants, and street performers. Then, check out landmarks like the Notre Dame Basilica.
- Parc du Mont-Royal. Surrounding Mount Royal which gave Montreal its name, this park is one of the largest green spaces in Montreal. A scenic place to visit regardless of the season, it is made up of walking paths, Beaver Lake, and man-made attractions such as the George-Étienne Cartier Monument and the Mount Royal Chalet.
- McCord Museum. Located in Downtown Montreal, the McCord Museum is dedicated to the history of Canada. Plenty of exhibitions introduce visitors to such varied topics as the First Nations of Canada, the arrival of Europeans, and the art made by inhabitants of the country throughout centuries.
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Another notable cultural institution, this is one of the best art museums in all of North America. In addition to works by virtually every notable Canadian artist, you will also find pieces by such world-famous masters as Rembrandt, Cezanne, El Greco, and others. There are also very interesting collections of Native Canadian and Inuit art. Visit the museum’s interactive website to learn more about working hours, admission, and collection.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90km/h to 110km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30km/h to 50km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offense and can lead to hefty fines, a suspension of your license, and even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your license with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 911.
There are many toll roads in eastern Canada, including some in Quebec. Different toll roads are administered by different authorities, so the available methods of payment and fee amount also depend on each toll road. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use the Canadian toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming trip.
Ideas for day trips
- Quebec City. Much smaller than Montreal, but the capital city of Quebec, Quebec City is a history lover’s dream. Its old town is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Chateau Frontenac is said to be the most photographed hotel in North America. And there are also other attractions like the Citadel and the Terrasse Dufferin. Located 260km (160 miles) northeast of Montreal, Quebec City can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Mont-Tremblant National Park. The small town of Mont-Tremblant is rightly known as Eastern Canada’s winter sports mecca. But unlike the ski slopes, the national park that surrounds it can be enjoyed year-round. The perfect place for hiking, canoeing, and spotting wildlife, Mont-Tremblant is one of the nicest national parks in Quebec. The park is 135km (84 miles) northwest of Montreal and can be reached in just 90 minutes.
- Ottawa. More interesting than a lot of people give it credit for, Canada’s capital has more than its fair share of attractions. Visitors enjoy high-class museums like the Canadian Aviation Museum and the Canadian Museum of History, the city’s many green spaces, and, of course, the majestic Parliament Hill. Located 200km (125 miles) west of Montreal, Ottawa can be reached by car in only two hours.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car type in Montreal is the economy, followed by compact and standard. The most popular rental cars are the Nissan Note, the Chevrolet Spark, and the Hyundai Elantra.
- Toronto. The largest city in Canada, Toronto is also a hub of culture, performance arts, and innovation. There’s plenty to see and do here including the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Ontario Science Center, the CN Tower, the beaches of Lake Ontario, and nearby Niagara Falls. Located 540km (335 miles) southwest of Montreal, Toronto can be reached in about 5 hours and 30 minutes.
- La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve. A protected area that’s the size of a small country, La Verendrye is the proof that even near the large cities of Eastern Canada, it is possible to find true wilderness. Made up of more than 4,000 rivers and lakes and home to wildlife species like the black bear, white-tailed deer, and gray wolf, it is the perfect place for being in nature. Located 290km (180 miles) northwest of Montreal, the reserve can be reached in about 3 hours.
- The United States. Montreal is located on the border with the United States, and any traveler must be at least tempted to visit Canada’s neighbor. Iconic American cities like Boston and New York are just a few hours drive south, and with a rental car, even cities like Detroit or Philadelphia are within your reach. To go from Canada to the United States, you’d have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Also, be sure to check if you need a visa to enter the United States.
- Tadoussac. A small village on the northern shore of the St. Lawrence River, Tadoussac is known as one of the best places in Canada for whale watching. Every summer, hundreds of mink, fin, and beluga whales, as well as other large marine mammals like white-sided dolphins and harbor porpoises, come to the area and can be seen on boat tours that take off from the city (the whale watching season generally lasts from May to September). Tadoussac is also home to the Marine Mammal Interpretation Center, a small, but interesting zoological museum. The drive from Montreal takes about six hours (you can stop at Quebec City which is located almost exactly between the two).
Car Rental Prices in Montreal
- Large cars - from $70 per day
- Medium cars - from $102 per day
- Vans - from $76 per day
- Premium cars - from $76 per day
- Small cars - from $54 per day
- SUVs - from $72 per day
Follow these tips to land a good rental car in Montreal:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Montreal is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 37% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 53% cheaper than renting a vehicle in April.
Top 20 Cities near Montreal
Ottawa Car Rentals from $54.04 per day151.5 km / 94.1 miles away
Quebec City Car Rentals from $54.04 per day233.0 km / 144.8 miles away
Toronto Car Rentals from $27.57 per day507.2 km / 315.2 miles away
Mississauga Car Rentals from $47.59 per day509.4 km / 316.5 miles away
Hamilton Car Rentals from $54.04 per day554.8 km / 344.7 miles away
Saint John Car Rentals from $128.84 per day613.0 km / 380.9 miles away
Dieppe Car Rentals from $71.95 per day705.8 km / 438.6 miles away
Halifax Car Rentals from $39.91 per day804.2 km / 499.7 miles away
Windsor Car Rentals from $54.04 per day819.0 km / 508.9 miles away
Deer Lake Car Rentals from $71.95 per day1297.1 km / 806.0 miles away
St. John's Car Rentals from $39.07 per day1617.8 km / 1005.3 miles away
Winnipeg Car Rentals from $54.04 per day1818.4 km / 1129.9 miles away
Saskatoon Car Rentals from $54.04 per day2500.7 km / 1553.9 miles away
Edmonton Car Rentals from $54.04 per day2968.7 km / 1844.7 miles away
Calgary Car Rentals from $75.73 per day3005.6 km / 1867.6 miles away
Kelowna Car Rentals from $54.04 per day3396.6 km / 2110.5 miles away
Kamloops Car Rentals from $63.68 per day3458.1 km / 2148.8 miles away
Abbotsford Car Rentals from $52.34 per day3627.8 km / 2254.2 miles away
North Vancouver Car Rentals from $176.98 per day3673.7 km / 2282.7 miles away
Vancouver Car Rentals from $54.04 per day3682.2 km / 2288.0 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Montreal
Montreal Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day
Ottawa Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day151.5 km / 94.1 miles away
Quebec City Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day233.0 km / 144.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $60.92 per day492.6 km / 306.1 miles away
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day492.6 km / 306.1 miles away
Toronto Airport Car Rentals from $27.57 per day507.2 km / 315.2 miles away
554.8 km / 344.7 miles away
Saint John Airport Car Rentals from $128.84 per day613.0 km / 380.9 miles away
Greater Moncton International Airport Car Rentals from $71.95 per day705.8 km / 438.6 miles away
Windsor International Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day819.0 km / 508.9 miles away
St. John's International Airport Car Rentals from $39.07 per day1617.8 km / 1005.3 miles away
Winnipeg Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day1818.4 km / 1129.9 miles away
Saskatoon Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day2500.7 km / 1553.9 miles away
Edmonton Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day2968.7 km / 1844.7 miles away
Calgary Airport Car Rentals from $75.73 per day3005.6 km / 1867.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $147.38 per day3009.1 km / 1869.8 miles away
Kelowna Airport Car Rentals from $54.04 per day3396.6 km / 2110.5 miles away
Kamloops Airport Car Rentals from $63.68 per day3458.1 km / 2148.8 miles away
Abbotsford International Airport Car Rentals from $52.34 per day3627.8 km / 2254.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $107.77 per day3675.0 km / 2283.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Montreal?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Montreal?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Montreal?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Routes Car Rental, Avis, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Large cars, Small cars, Medium cars|
|Lowest price||$54 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car Rental||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Avis||Hyundai Elantra||4||2||Large cars|
|Avis||Mitsubishi Mirage||4||2||Small cars|
|Avis||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Avis||Dodge Grand Caravan||4||2||Vans|
|Avis||Chevrolet Malibu||4||3||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Forte||4||3||Large cars|
|Avis||Dodge Charger||4||3||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.