Car Hire in Protaras
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Protaras?
A large beach resort, Protaras is mainly known for its scenic coastline and great diving opportunities. Other tourist hubs of similar stature like Ayia Napa and Paralimni are only a stone’s throw away and can be easily explored on the same trip.
Top ways to enter Protaras
Larnaca Airport. The busiest in the country, Larnaca Airport handles over eight million travellers annually. The distance to Protaras is 67 km (42 miles), a trip that can be made in about 50 minutes. Paphos Airport, the other international airport of Cyprus, is smaller and further to the west, about a two hour drive away.
Top destinations and activities
- Protaras. Home to just 20,000 permanent inhabitants, Protaras is above all known for its sandy, developed coastline and crystal clear waters. In addition to soaking up the sun, you might try diving as there are a number of local companies offering services and sites to anyone from beginners to seasoned veterans.
- Ayia Napa. Like Protaras, ‘Saint Napa’ is all about its coastline. Although known primarily as the main party spot of the country (which is some claim in a place like Cyprus), the town also has a certain historical appeal, best exemplified by sites like Ayia Napa Monastery and Makronissos Tombs.
- Cape Greco. A small peninsula just a short drive from Protaras, Cape Greco is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the area. The cape is known for its impressive coastal cliffs and caves, as well as a unique variety of plant life.
Traffic and parking
Driving in Cyprus can be quite hectic for the uninitiated. Most traffic regulations are often treated as mere guidelines by Cypriot drivers with laws prohibiting driving under the influence being a notable exception (due to the harsh penalties). Expect other drivers to only care about themselves, including ignoring road markings, making illegal shortcuts, failing to use their signal, and taking the best route for themselves through traffic circles (roundabouts). Also note that everyone else on the road will know that you are driving a rental car due to its red license plate (all rental cars have red license plates).
Due to Cyprus’ history as a British territory, traffic is left-hand drive, unlike in Greece or Turkey.
There are roads on the island that are mountain roads or considered off-road meant for 4WD vehicles only. It is prohibited by all car rental providers to use these remote roads. Taking these roads will violate the rental contract and void any insurance.
Parking may cause some concern for drivers. While there is free parking, it is often hard to find a sport without parking somewhere you are not supposed to, though many others will have done the same already. At times it can feel as if sidewalks are actually just parking lots. The city has various municipal and private parking garages. These are often a driver’s best option. Some hotels do not have parking at all and garages must be used.
There are no toll roads in Cyprus.
Ideas for day trips
Famagusta. Located just a stone’s throw from Protaras, the historical city of Famagusta is in the Turkish-controlled part of the island. Most car hire providers don’t permit crossing the border, but there are a number of tours taking off from either Protaras or Ayia Napa that you can join. Famagusta is known for landmarks such as Lala Mustafa Paşa Mosque (formerly St. Nicolaos Church), though most visitors are interested in the nearly abandoned ghost quarter of Varosha in the city’s south. If you sign up for a tour, make sure to find out in advance which parts of Famagusta will be visited during the trip there.
Most popular cars
The most popular car for hire in Protaras is the Renault Clio, followed by the Mazda 2 and the Nissan Micra. The most popular car types are economy, compact, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Protaras
- Convertibles - starting at £ 90 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 44 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 35 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 15 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 55 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 112 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 11 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 38 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Protaras is the cheapest in September.
Top 4 Cities near Protaras
Top 5 Destinations around Protaras
Larnaca Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.05 per day41.4 km / 25.7 miles away
Larnaca Hotel Delivery Car Hire starting at £ 18.90 per day43.6 km / 27.1 miles away
Limassol Hotel Delivery Car Hire starting at £ 26.57 per day98.8 km / 61.4 miles away
Paphos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.05 per day146.3 km / 90.9 miles away
City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 19.43 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Protaras the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Protaras?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Protaras?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Autounion, SIXT, Keddy|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, People Carriers, SUVs, Medium cars|
|Lowest price||£ 11 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Autounion||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Suzuki Celerio||4||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Mazda 2||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C4 Grand Picasso||5||2||People Carriers|
|SIXT||Kia Picanto Aut.||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.