Car Hire in Limassol
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Limassol?
Located in the south of the country on the Akrotiri Bay, Limassol is one of the most popular cities in Cyprus. Known for its large port and cosmopolitan vibe, the Limassol area also offers plenty in terms of beaches and natural splendour, especially if you’re willing to travel outside the city borders.
One-way Car Hire in Limassol
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Limassol and drop off in another city include:
- From Limassol to Larnaca - 151 offers from £ 10.00 per day
Top ways to enter Limassol
- Paphos Airport. Limassol doesn’t have its own airport, so the nearest is the one serving the neighbouring city of Paphos. Located some 60 km (37 miles) west of Limassol, it can be reached by car in about 45 minutes.
- Larnaca Airport. The other international air hub of Cyprus, and the busiest in the country, Larnaca Airport is about an hour’s drive to the east of Limassol.
Top destinations and activities
- Limassol Castle. First brought into existence more than 1,500 years ago and then significantly rebuilt several times over, Limassol Castle has always remained one of the symbols of the city. The castle is located near both the Limassol historical centre and the old port, two notable areas of the city.
- Kourion. Located outside the city itself, the archaeological site of Kourion is nonetheless one of the most famous tourist attractions of Limassol. Dating back to the Ancient Greek (and later Roman) rule of the area, it is home to such historical places of interest as Kourion Agora, House of Achilles, and Sanctuary of Apollo.
- Limassol Salt Lake. The Limassol area is home to a number of splendid beaches — try Governor’s to the east and Pissouri to the west — but for many visitors, the most interesting body of water in the area is in fact the Akrotiri Salt Lake. Located just a short drive south of the city proper, it is home to an amazing variety of birdlife (you can hike around parts of the lake, but it’s important to try not to disturb the birds). Near the southwest coast of the lake is the Akrotiri Environmental Education Center, a great place for learning about the local biodiversity through interactive exhibitions.
Traffic and parking
Driving in Cyprus can be quite hectic for the uninitiated. Most traffic regulations are often treated as mere guidelines by Cypriot drivers with laws prohibiting driving under the influence being a notable exception (due to the harsh penalties). Expect other drivers to only care about themselves, including ignoring road markings, making illegal shortcuts, failing to use their signal, and taking the best route for themselves through roundabouts. Also note that everyone else on the road will know that you are driving a hire car due to its red license plate (all hire cars have red licence plates).
Due to Cyprus’ history as a British territory, traffic is left-hand drive, unlike in Greece and Turkey.
There are roads on the island that are mountain roads or considered off-road meant for 4WD vehicles only. It is prohibited by all car hire suppliers to use these remote roads. Taking these roads will violate the contract and void any insurance.
Parking may cause some concern for drivers. While there is free parking, it is often hard to find a sport without parking somewhere you are not supposed to, though many others will have done the same already. At times it can feel as if pavements are actually just car parks. The city has various municipal and private parking garages. These are often a driver’s best option. Some hotels do not have parking at all and garages must be used.
There are no toll roads in Cyprus.
Ideas for day trips
- Paphos. More laidback and not as business-minded as Limassol or Larnaca, Paphos is the right place to visit if you’re a history lover. The European Capital of Culture of 2017, the city is best known for Kato Paphos, its original settlement and a World Heritage site that is home to attractions like the Roman Odeon and Paphos Archaeological Park.
- Nicosia. The divided capital of Cyprus, located just an hour’s drive to the north of Limassol, is the most historical attraction in the country. Home to plenty of museums, religious buildings, and even traditional spas, it doesn’t lack anything in atmosphere or character. Do keep in mind that most car hire suppliers do not permit visiting the Turkish-controlled Northern Cyprus which includes North Nicosia, though you may do so on foot if your documentation is in order.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Limassol is the Kia Picanto, followed by the Nissan Note and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular car types are economy, mini, and compact.
Car Hire Prices in Limassol
- Convertibles - starting at £ 93 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 32 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 24 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 17 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 44 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 63 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 10 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 32 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Limassol is the cheapest in March.
Top 4 Cities near Limassol
Top 5 Destinations around Limassol
Limassol Hotel Delivery Car Hire starting at £ 26.80 per day5.3 km / 3.3 miles away
Larnaca Hotel Delivery Car Hire starting at £ 21.91 per day49.9 km / 31.0 miles away
Larnaca Airport Car Hire starting at £ 9.94 per day52.2 km / 32.4 miles away
Paphos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 10.66 per day55.8 km / 34.7 miles away
City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 16.05 per day63.6 km / 39.5 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Limassol the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Limassol?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Limassol?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||AIDA, AutoRent Cyprus, SIXT, Autounion, GreenMotion|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, People Carriers, SUVs|
|Lowest price||£ 10 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|AIDA||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|AIDA||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Ford Fiesta||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Mazda Demio||4||1||Small cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Nissan Note||4||2||Medium cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
|AutoRent Cyprus||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|AIDA||Toyota Vitz||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Suzuki Celerio||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.