Car Rental in Gran Canaria
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Gran Canaria?
The island of Gran Canaria is a great place to travel around by car. The distances are small and the road network is in good shape, but at the same time there’s a lot of natural and cultural diversity that’s best discovered if you can go outside the main tourist zones and travel at your own pace.
Top ways to enter Gran Canaria
- Gran Canaria Airport: The main airport of the island is located about 20 km (12 mi) south of Las Palmas city center and also provides easy access to other parts Gran Canaria. Served by more than 40 airlines, it offers flights not only to most European countries, but also to North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- By sea: It is also possible to take a ferry from one of the nearby islands or even from Cadiz or Huelva on the mainland Spain. You can then get a rental car in one of the many car pick-up locations on the island.
Useful city facts
- The largest city and capital of Gran Canaria is Las Palmas. Located in the northeastern corner of the island, it has a population of almost 400,000.
- Gran Canaria has warm weather throughout the year and the precipitation is low, albeit unevenly distributed across the island. Some inland parts can be significantly colder than the coastal areas during the winter months.
- The original population of Canary Islands were Guanches, people related to North African Berbers. Over the course of centuries Guanches have been absorbed in the larger Spanish-speaking populations, but there are still vague traces of their culture in terms of architecture, artefacts, and some customs to be found on the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches. The main attraction of Gran Canaria is undoubtedly its Atlantic shoreline. The southern part of the island attracts most of the visitors, but Las Canteras beach near Las Palmas is also popular among both tourists and locals.
- Catedral de Santa Ana. Not only is it a beautiful building, but the main church of Las Palmas also embodies much of the island’s varied history. First built in the early 16th century, the cathedral is characterized by a mixture of Gothic, Moorish, and other architectural styles. Located in the heart of Las Palmas, the cathedral is as impressive from the inside as it is from the outside.
- Puerto Rico. Not to be confused with the island in the Caribbean, this beach town in the southern part of Gran Canaria is a paradise for lovers of water sports. The drive from Las Palmas takes only about 50 minutes.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads inside the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Palmitos Park. Located near the cozy town of Maspalomas, this nature area is home to varied wildlife such as parrots, birds of prey, and dolphins.
- Teror. Despite its uninviting name, Teror in the north of the island is a cozy little place where you can interact with hospitable locals, try fruits and vegetables grown by village farmers, and relax in the mountains.
- Western Gran Canaria. Rugged and more of a challenge to reach, the western part of the island, it is nonetheless a rewarding destination thanks to its impressive nature and wild sea coast.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in the Canary Islands is the Kia Picanto. Travelers also choose the VW Polo and the Renault Clio a lot. The most popular car types in the Canary Islands are economy, mini, and compact.
- Inland Gran Canaria. Made up of lush valleys, pine-covered gorges, and towering peaks that reveal the island’s volcanic origin, much of the inland part of Gran Canaria is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Tenerife. The largest of the Canaries and sometimes considered a rival of Gran Canaria, Tenerife is known for its many beautiful beaches and resorts, but also for El Teide, the stunning mountain that is the highest in all of Spain, and the nature reserve of the same name.
- Fuerteventura. Located to the east of Gran Canaria, the large, but rather sparsely populated Fuerteventura is known for its great windsurfing conditions, as well as moonlike landscapes that are influenced by the winds coming from the nearby Sahara.
- IMPORTANT: Some rental car companies permit picking up a rental car on one island and dropping it off on another, but you should also see if the ferry company allows it. You will need to buy an additional ticket for your rental, and it’s generally a good idea to book tickets in advance, especially if you’re traveling during the warmer half of the year. Alternatively, you can drop off your rental on one island, travel without it, and pick one up on the next after arriving.
Car Rental Prices in Gran Canaria
- Convertibles - from $135 per day
- Station wagons - from $39 per day
- Large cars - from $44 per day
- Medium cars - from $32 per day
- Vans - from $79 per day
- Small cars - from $27 per day
- SUVs - from $53 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are ways to be smart about renting a car in Gran Canaria:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting here is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 63% cheaper than the yearly average and about 75% cheaper than renting a car in August.
Top 6 Cities near Gran Canaria
Tenerife Car Rentals from $36.17 per day112.7 km / 70.1 miles away
Lanzarote Car Rentals from $13.91 per day207.7 km / 129.0 miles away
Fuerteventura Car Rentals from $24.00 per day158.7 km / 98.6 miles away
La Palma Car Rentals from $21.47 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Playa del Ingles Car Rentals from $34.50 per day26.1 km / 16.2 miles away
La Gomera Car Rentals from $23.38 per day191.6 km / 119.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria Airport Car Rentals from $9.70 per day23.0 km / 14.3 miles away
Gran Canaria Meloneras Car Rentals from $21.88 per day47.0 km / 29.2 miles away
Tenerife Muelle Ribera Car Rentals from $30.48 per day87.4 km / 54.3 miles away
Tenerife Airport North Car Rentals from $12.64 per day96.7 km / 60.1 miles away
Fuerteventura Morro Jable Car Rentals from $29.40 per day106.7 km / 66.3 miles away
Tenerife Airport South Car Rentals from $11.38 per day112.0 km / 69.6 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Bahia Principe San Felipe Car Rentals from $34.46 per day112.7 km / 70.0 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Car Rentals from $33.12 per day112.9 km / 70.2 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Orotava Valley Hotel Car Rentals from $34.46 per day114.0 km / 70.8 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Apartments Turquesa Playa Car Rentals from $34.46 per day114.0 km / 70.9 miles away
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel Car Rentals from $36.17 per day115.5 km / 71.8 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza Car Rentals from $90.93 per day115.9 km / 72.0 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel Car Rentals from $36.17 per day116.1 km / 72.2 miles away
Tenerife Los Cristianos Port Car Rentals from $30.48 per day126.3 km / 78.5 miles away
Los Cristianos Gara Suites Car Rentals from $34.46 per day126.5 km / 78.6 miles away
Los Cristianos Hotel Columbus Car Rentals from $53.13 per day127.1 km / 79.0 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Troya Hotel Car Rentals from $34.46 per day127.4 km / 79.1 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Isabel Family Hotel Car Rentals from $34.46 per day127.4 km / 79.2 miles away
Tenerife Hotel La Siesta Car Rentals from $34.46 per day127.6 km / 79.3 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Fanabe Car Rentals from $34.46 per day127.6 km / 79.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Gran Canaria?
What’s the usual rental length in Gran Canaria?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Gran Canaria?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Orlando||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|TopCar||Citroen C3||5||3||Small cars|
|TopCar||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|TopCar||Citroen C3 Aircross||5||3||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|TopCar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.