Car Rental Gran Canaria
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Gran Canaria?
The island of Gran Canaria is a great place to travel around by car. The distances are small and the road network is in good shape, but at the same time there’s a lot of natural and cultural diversity that’s best discovered if you can go outside the main tourist zones and travel at your own pace.
Top ways to enter Gran Canaria
- Gran Canaria Airport: The main airport of the island is located about 20 km (12 mi) south of Las Palmas city center and also provides easy access to other parts Gran Canaria. Served by more than 40 airlines, it offers flights not only to most European countries, but also to North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- By sea: It is also possible to take a ferry from one of the nearby islands or even from Cadiz or Huelva on the mainland Spain. You can then get a rental car in one of the many car pick-up locations on the island.
Useful city facts
- The largest city and capital of Gran Canaria is Las Palmas. Located in the northeastern corner of the island, it has a population of almost 400,000.
- Gran Canaria has warm weather throughout the year and the precipitation is low, albeit unevenly distributed across the island. Some inland parts can be significantly colder than the coastal areas during the winter months.
- The original population of Canary Islands were Guanches, people related to North African Berbers. Over the course of centuries Guanches have been absorbed in the larger Spanish-speaking populations, but there are still vague traces of their culture in terms of architecture, artefacts, and some customs to be found on the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches. The main attraction of Gran Canaria is its Atlantic Sea Coast. The southern part of the island attracts most of the visitors, but Las Canteras beach near Las Palmas is also popular among both the tourists and the locals.
- Catedral de Santa Ana. Not only a beautiful building, Las Palmas’ main cathedral also embodies much of the island’s varied history.
- Puerto Rico. Located in the southwest of the island, this beach town is a paradise for water sports lovers.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads inside the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Palmitos Park. Located near the cozy town of Maspalomas, this nature area is home to varied wildlife such as parrots, birds of prey, and dolphins.
- Teror. Despite its uninviting name, Teror in the north of the island is a cozy little place where you can interact with hospitable locals, try fruits and vegetables grown by village farmers, and relax in the mountains.
- Western Gran Canaria. Rugged and more of a challenge to reach, the western part of the island, it is nonetheless a rewarding destination thanks to its impressive nature and wild sea coast.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in the Canary Islands is the Kia Picanto. Travelers also choose the VW Polo and the Renault Clio a lot. The most popular car types in the Canary Islands are economy, mini, and compact.
- Inland Gran Canaria. Much of the inland part of the island is a UNESCO biosphere area thanks to its lush valleys, steep pine-covered gorges, and mountains that reveal the island’s volcanic origin.
- Other Canary Islands. Similar in culture and nature yet each distinctly unique, the rest of the Canary Islands like Tenerife, Lanzarote, and Fuerteventura all make fascinating destinations to explore.
- Mainland Spain. Home of varied history, great culture, and delicious cuisine, Spain is one of the most popular tourism destinations in the world for a good reason.
Car Rental Prices in Gran Canaria
- Convertibles - from $102 per day
- Station wagons - from $47 per day
- Large cars - from $54 per day
- Medium cars - from $38 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $69 per day
- Small cars - from $20 per day
- SUVs - from $113 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are ways to be smart about renting a car in Gran Canaria:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting here is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 63% cheaper than the yearly average and about 75% cheaper than renting a car in August.
Top 6 Cities near Gran Canaria
Tenerife Car Rentals from $9.88 per day111.4 km / 69.2 miles away
Lanzarote Car Rentals from $7.27 per day207.7 km / 129.0 miles away
Fuerteventura Car Rentals from $9.45 per day160.4 km / 99.6 miles away
La Palma Car Rentals from $11.81 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
El Hierro Car Rentals from $32.44 per day245.7 km / 152.7 miles away
La Gomera Car Rentals from $21.20 per day179.4 km / 111.5 miles away
Top 10 Locations near Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria, Puerto Rico Downtown Car Rentals from $11.01 per day
Gran Canaria Airport Car Rentals from $7.97 per day
Gran Canaria, Las Palmas Downtown Car Rentals from $10.30 per day
Tenerife North Airport Car Rentals from $9.88 per day111.4 km / 69.2 miles away
Tenerife Airport South Car Rentals from $10.72 per day116.7 km / 72.5 miles away
Fuerteventura Airport Car Rentals from $9.45 per day160.4 km / 99.6 miles away
La Gomera Airport Car Rentals from $21.20 per day179.4 km / 111.5 miles away
Lanzarote Airport Car Rentals from $7.27 per day207.7 km / 129.0 miles away
La Palma Airport Car Rentals from $11.81 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
El Hierro Airport Car Rentals from $32.44 per day245.7 km / 152.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Gran Canaria?
What’s the usual rental length in Gran Canaria?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Gran Canaria?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|Orlando||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Opel Adam||3||1||Small cars|
|Orlando||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500 2 doors||3||1||Small cars|
|Orlando||Renault Clio||3||2||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Adam||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Ford Focus 5d||5||2||Medium cars|
Top 15 Suppliers for Gran Canaria in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email