Car Rental in Lanzarote
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Lanzarote?
Lanzarote is a great place for renting a car. Less discovered than nearby islands such as Tenerife and Gran Canaria, it offers a special atmosphere and some of the most spectacular volcanic landscapes anywhere on the planet. With a rental car, you’d have the freedom to travel beyond the usual tourist spots to pristine beaches and inland mountainous areas, making your own adventure as you go.
One-Way Car Rentals in Lanzarote
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Lanzarote and drop off in another city include:
- From Lanzarote to Fuerteventura - 29 offers from € 18.02 per day
Top ways to enter Lanzarote
- Lanzarote Airport: Also known as César Manrique Airport (named in honour of the local artist), it is located in the village of San Bartolomé near Lanzarote’s capital city, Arrecife. Large and modern, Lanzarote Airport is served by more than 40 different airlines that offer flights to the Spanish mainland as well as many other countries in Europe.
- Fuerteventura Airport: Also known as El Matorral Airport, Fuerteventura Airport serves the island that’s the closest to Lanzarote. Located on Fuerteventura’s northeast coast, it is located near the island’s capital city, Puerto del Rosario which has a port with a frequent ferry service to Lanzarote.
- Gran Canaria Airport: The busiest airport in the Canary Islands, Gran Canaria Airport serves the island of the same name. A hub for low-cost carriers such as Vueling and Norwegian Air, the airport served more than 13 million travelers in 2018. Sitting on Gando Bay in the eastern part of the island, the airport is located about 19km (12 miles) from Las Palmas, Gran Canaria’s largest city.
- Tenerife North Airport: Also known as Los Rodeos Airport, it is one of the fastest-growing airports in the Canary Islands. The airport served 5.5 million passengers in 2018, a 17% increase from the year before. The airport is located in the city of San Cristóbal de La Laguna, near Tenerife’s capital, Santa Cruz.
It is easy to reach Lanzarote from the neighboring islands, especially Fuerteventura, as there is a frequent ferry service to and from all of them (although you should check the schedules beforehand as the service is more active during the tourist season). Nevertheless, ask your rental car provider if they permit taking a rental car on a ferry and whether it’s possible to pick up a rental car on one island and then drop it off on another - some providers permit that while others don’t. Another option is to fly to a neighboring island, then take a ferry to Lanzarote from there and pick up a rental car after arriving in Lanzarote.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of the Canary Islands, Lanzarote has a subtropical-desert climate and has been called the “Island of Eternal Spring”. The average temperature is 25°C (77°F) in July, the hottest month, and the temperature exceeds 19°C (67°F) from April to November. The island has very little precipitation, with some rainfall from November to March, but practically none from May to September.
- Lanzarote’s moonlike volcanic environment is more harsh than that of other Canary islands, but unique animal and plant species have still found home here. Some of those include the dromedary, or Arabian camel; a number of lizards; the Canarian Egyptian vulture;, the Canary Island date palm, and even wild olive trees. The island is also a famous winemaking region with local specialties like the red wines made from the native listán negro grapes and the white wines made from malvasía.
Top destinations and activities
- Haria. Located in the northern part of the island, the small village of Haria is mainly famous for the stunning Cueva de los Verdes cave. Created more than 3,000 years ago when lava erupted from the nearby Monte Corona village, it served as a hiding place for locals trying to escape pirates and slave merchants. Nowadays, parts of the otherworldly cave are open to visitors, and it even has a concert hall. Back in Haria, try to visit the craft market which is open every Saturday morning.
- Teguise. A former holiday resort known for its unique royal architecture, Teguise’s buildings are characterized by impressive facades, rich ornaments, and wooden balconies. Other points of interest include the Spinola Palace and the Piracy Museum at the Santa Barbara Fort. Located in the north-central part of the island, Teguise can be easily reached from any point on Lanzarote.
- Arrecife. The island’s capital might not be the number one reason why people travel to Lanzarote, but it nonetheless offers plenty of delights, including the San Gines lagoon, the International Museum of Contemporary Art, and some of the best restaurants on the island.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance has to be inside the vehicle at all times.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of car horns is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads in Spain are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- San Bartolomé. Located at the very center of the island, San Bartolomé is a fun little town. It is famous for its crafts which you can buy here from local artists as well as for the impressive Monument to the Peasant Farmer, a gigantic white sculpture made by Cesar Manrique, Lanzarote’s most famous artist. San Bartolomé is just 8km (5 miles) northwest of Arrecife and can be reached by car in 10 minutes.
- Timanfaya National Park. In just six years in the early 18th century, more than 100 volcanoes erupted in Lanzarote creating its unique landscape that hasn’t changed to this day. The best place to enjoy the otherworldly scenery is at the Timanfaya National Park in the southwestern part of the island where you can hike on the paths of volcanic soil or visit El Diablo (the devil) restaurant where traditional food is cooked by the heat coming from the volcano. Timanfaya is about 24km (14.9 miles) from Arrecife and can be reached in 25-30 minutes.
- Water Sports. If something in Lanzarote can rival the volcanic landscapes of Timanfaya, it’s the beautiful ocean scenery underwater. Visit coastal resorts such as Playa Blanca or Puerto del Carmen which offer great scuba diving opportunities. If you’d prefer to stay on top of the water, there are many great spots for surfing, the most famous of them being the Famara Beach on the island’s northwestern coast.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Lanzarote is the Fiat 500, and many travelers also go for the Peugeot 108 and the Fiat Panda. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and standard.
- La Graciosa. A small island near the northern edge of Lanzarote, La Graciosa can only be accessed by boat and you cannot bring a rental car. But it is a unique place to visit. Part of the Chinijo Archipelago Natural Park with a population of only 600 and with no paved roads, it has a special, secluded atmosphere and some of the most beautifully haunting scenery in the Canary Islands. You can take a boat from Órzola, a small town just a 30-40 minute drive north of Arrecife.
- Fuerteventura. Quite similar to neighboring Lanzarote, Fuerteventura is a place that offers an even more secluded and private atmosphere. The mineral conditions on the island have created unique beaches of many colors such as the White Beach, the Yellow Beach, and the Black Beach. Fuerteventura is also a surfing and kitesurfing mecca with many schools located around Playa de Sotavento and in other parts of the island. With a rental car you can even go into the mountains away from the coast to appreciate the unique, arid scenery and visit little villages. Ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit taking a rental car on a ferry from Lanzarote to Fuerteventura.
- Gran Canaria. The most populous of the Canary Islands, Gran Canaria is very popular with tourists from all over Europe and can get quite crowded, especially during the high season and at the main resorts. The island is, nonetheless, worth visiting, especially for its unique landscapes, world-class beaches, and Las Palmas, the only true city of the Canary Islands. Ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit taking a rental car on a ferry from Lanzarote to Gran Canaria.
Car Rental Prices in Lanzarote
- Convertibles - from $63 per day
- Large cars - from $59 per day
- Medium cars - from $37 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $102 per day
- Premium cars - from $97 per day
- Small cars - from $29 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to land a great rental car in Lanzarote:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting the island is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Lanzarote in early summer!
Top 7 Cities near Lanzarote
Tenerife Car Rentals from $15.55 per day294.9 km / 183.2 miles away
Gran Canaria Car Rentals from $6.58 per day175.8 km / 109.3 miles away
Fuerteventura Car Rentals from $35.83 per day87.3 km / 54.2 miles away
La Palma Car Rentals from $25.17 per day383.1 km / 238.1 miles away
La Gomera Car Rentals from $25.58 per day331.1 km / 205.7 miles away
El Hierro Car Rentals from $25.58 per day413.2 km / 256.8 miles away
Playa del Ingles Car Rentals from $25.58 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Lanzarote
Playa Blanca Port Car Rentals from $35.83 per day
Lanzarote Airport Car Rentals from $6.65 per day24.3 km / 15.1 miles away
Arrecife Port Car Rentals from $24.44 per day32.3 km / 20.0 miles away
Fuerteventura Airport Car Rentals from $7.18 per day45.2 km / 28.1 miles away
Gran Canaria Airport Car Rentals from $6.58 per day183.7 km / 114.1 miles away
Tenerife Muelle Ribera Car Rentals from $35.83 per day239.1 km / 148.6 miles away
Tenerife Airport North Car Rentals from $8.76 per day248.1 km / 154.2 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Car Rentals from $14.79 per day269.1 km / 167.2 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Apartments Turquesa Playa Car Rentals from $14.79 per day270.4 km / 168.0 miles away
Tenerife Airport South Car Rentals from $8.08 per day282.5 km / 175.6 miles away
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel Car Rentals from $15.55 per day286.3 km / 177.9 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza Car Rentals from $16.28 per day286.7 km / 178.1 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel Car Rentals from $17.10 per day287.0 km / 178.3 miles away
Los Cristianos Gara Suites Car Rentals from $15.55 per day295.8 km / 183.8 miles away
Tenerife Los Cristianos Port Car Rentals from $35.83 per day296.0 km / 183.9 miles away
Tenerife GF Gran Costa Adaje Car Rentals from $15.55 per day296.1 km / 184.0 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Jardines de Nivaria Car Rentals from $15.55 per day296.3 km / 184.1 miles away
Los Cristianos Hotel Columbus Car Rentals from $15.55 per day296.4 km / 184.2 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Victoria Car Rentals from $15.55 per day296.4 km / 184.2 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Troya Hotel Car Rentals from $15.55 per day296.5 km / 184.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Lanzarote?
What’s the usual rental length in Lanzarote?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Lanzarote?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Orlando||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|