Car Rental in Palermo
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Palermo?
Palermo is a great place for renting a car. Not only will it let you explore the rest of the island, a great city in its own right.
One-Way Car Rentals in Palermo
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Palermo and drop off in another city include:
- From Palermo to Catania - 232 offers from US$ 21.21 per day
- From Palermo to Milan - 120 offers from US$ 24.49 per day
- From Palermo to Naples - 186 offers from US$ 21.21 per day
- From Palermo to Verona - 56 offers from US$ 24.49 per day
- From Palermo to Lamezia Terme - 179 offers from US$ 21.21 per day
Top ways to enter Palermo
- Palermo Airport: Also known as Palermo-Falcone Borsellino, it handled 6.6 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by more than 30 different airlines. The airport is located 31 km (19.2 mi) northwest of the city and can be reached in about 45 minutes.
- Trapani Airport: Also known by its full name Vincenzo Florio Airport Trapani–Birgi, this small airport handled 1.5 million travelers in 2018. The airport is served by five different airlines, offering domestic connections, as well as flights to and from countries like Germany, Malta, and the Czech Republic. Located 112 km (69.5 mi) southwest of Palermo, Trapani Airport takes 90 minutes to reach.
- Comiso Airport: Another small international airport, Comiso-Pio La Torre is served by four airlines (although two only have flights during the summer months). The airport offers flights to and from Belgium, Germany, and Malta. Located 238 km (148 mi) southwest of Palermo, Comiso Airport can be reached in about 3 hours and 20 minutes.
- Catania Airport: Sicily’s biggest airport, Catania-Fontanarossa handled almost ten million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by more than 50 airlines, including low-cost carriers like Ryanair, Volotea, and Wizz Air. Located 215 km (133 mi) southeast of Palermo, Catania Airport can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Useful city facts
- Palermo has a subtropical Mediterranean climate with very hot summers and mild winters. The average high temperature is 30.5 °C (87 °F) in August, the hottest month, and 14.5 °C (58.1 °F) in February, the coldest. Palermo is, on average, one of the hottest cities in Europe. The precipitation is very low in June and July, but there’s an increase from October all the way to February. Despite its southern location, snowfall does occur in Palermo (about once a decade).
- Palermo is the capital and largest city of Sicily (which is not only one of Italy’s 20 regions, but also the largest island in the Mediterranean). The city has a population of about 675,000, with 525,000 more people living in the larger metropolitan region. The city is made up of eight districts that are further divided into quarters. An inhabitant of Palermo is called Palermitano or Panormito.
Top destinations and activities
- Palace of the Normans. The home of old Sicilian kings and the oldest royal residence in Europe, this palace is a monument of the unique Arab-Norman architecture that you can find in Sicily. Now a seat of the Sicilian Parliament, it can still be accessed as a tourism object.
- Capuchin Catacombs. Seeing the mummies of ex-residents of Palermo might understandably be considered scary, so you should definitely know what you’re getting into before visiting, but it does provide a fascinating insight into the city’s history.
- Gesu Church. Built of polychrome marble and older than many other churches in Palermo, Gesu is one of the most important baroque buildings in Sicily.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Bagheria. This small town is visited both for its magnificent villas and for the museum of painter Renato Guttuso.
- Trapani. Similar in atmosphere to Palermo, only smaller, Trapani is a great place to visit on a relaxing day trip. Nearby Lido di San Giuliano beaches are some of the most beautiful you’ll find in Sicily.
- Cefalù. About an hour’s drive east of Palermo, this village is famous for its beaches, seafood, and unique architecture.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in Italy are the Fiat Panda, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car type is an economy, followed by mini and compact.
For more about traveling around Sicily with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Catania. Dramatic Mount Etna and beautiful baroque architecture are just two of the many reasons to visit Palermo’s great rival on the eastern coast of Sicily.
- Syracuse. Not far from Catania, Syracuse is perhaps the best place on the island to learn about Sicily’s Greek heritage.
- Malta. Picturesque, hospitable, and full of ancient stories, Malta is a great destination that’s only a short fly away from Palermo.
Car Rental Prices in Palermo
- Station wagons - from $63 per day
- Large cars - from $73 per day
- Medium cars - from $42 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $123 per day
- Small cars - from $68 per day
- SUVs - from $49 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are many things you can do to get a good rental deal in Palermo:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Palermo is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 70% cheaper than the yearly average.
- Check out our list of the best rental companies in Palermo.
Top 11 Cities near Palermo
Catania Car Rentals from $17.16 per day167.7 km / 104.2 miles away
Trapani Car Rentals from $16.24 per day79.3 km / 49.3 miles away
Messina Car Rentals from $22.74 per day192.7 km / 119.7 miles away
Comiso Car Rentals from $11.35 per day168.4 km / 104.6 miles away
Pozzallo Car Rentals from $17.67 per day204.8 km / 127.3 miles away
Agrigento Car Rentals from $25.83 per day94.1 km / 58.5 miles away
Pantelleria Car Rentals from $7.10 per day190.5 km / 118.3 miles away
Taormina Car Rentals from $29.71 per day172.4 km / 107.1 miles away
Cefalu Car Rentals from $34.40 per day59.8 km / 37.1 miles away
Capo d'Orlando Car Rentals from $14.71 per day121.9 km / 75.7 miles away
Avola Car Rentals from $31.59 per day208.3 km / 129.4 miles away
Top 6 Locations near Palermo
Palermo Airport Car Rentals from $9.86 per day23.0 km / 14.3 miles away
Trapani Airport Car Rentals from $16.24 per day79.3 km / 49.3 miles away
Catania Fontanarossa Airport Car Rentals from $9.14 per day168.2 km / 104.5 miles away
Comiso Airport Car Rentals from $11.35 per day168.4 km / 104.6 miles away
Pantelleria Airport Car Rentals from $7.10 per day190.5 km / 118.3 miles away
Pozzallo Port Car Rentals from $17.67 per day204.8 km / 127.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Palermo?
What’s the usual rental length in Palermo?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Palermo?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Noleggiare||Citroen C1||2||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Peugeot 107||2||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Fiat Panda||2||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|