Car Rental in Milan
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Milan?
Renting a car in Milan is a great idea. Having your own ride will let you explore this large city, as well as to travel to many other interesting destinations in Northern Italy.
One-Way Car Rentals in Milan
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Milan and drop off in another city include:
- From Milan to Bergamo - 281 offers from $8.51 per day
- From Milan to Rome - 322 offers from $8.51 per day
- From Milan to Pisa - 127 offers from $8.51 per day
- From Milan to Venice - 113 offers from $26.15 per day
- From Milan to Naples - 212 offers from $26.15 per day
Top ways to enter Milan
- Milan Malpensa Airport: The second-busiest in Italy, Malpensa Airport is about a 45-minute drive west of Milan city center, and offer some of the most stunning views right before the landing.
- Bergamo Airport: Located in the nearby town of Bergamo, this airport is an hour’s drive east of Milan and is favored by many low-cost carriers.
- Milan Linate Airport: The smallest of the three international airports in the Milan area, Linate is also the one that is the closest to the city center.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Milan by train, you can conveniently pick up a rental car right at the Milan Central Railway Station.
- Milan Region is the most densely populated part of Italy. The Milan metropolitan area, also known as Grande Milano, has more than 8 million people living in it.
- Winters in Milan can be quite cold, with occasional snowfall. In summer, humidity levels are high and peak temperatures can reach temperatures above 35 °C (95 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Milan Cathedral. The Duomo is the most famous building of Milan and the heart of the city, located right next to countless other landmarks.
- The historic center. The Centro Storico area is right next to Duomo and is the reason why Milan gets its posh reputation as Galleria Vittorio Emanuele shopping arcade, Teatro Alla Scala opera house, as well as many restaurants, fashion boutiques, and art galleries are located there.
- Sempione Park. Milan has several beautiful parks and gardens, but Parco Sempione is perhaps the most famous one, both because it is the largest and because it houses the renaissance Sforza Castle and its museum with artworks by Da Vinci and Michelangelo.
- The Last Supper Painting. One of the best things to do in Milan is to see this famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci is a mural on the wall of the refectory of Santa Maria delle Grazie. Completed in 1498 after three years of work, it is Leonardo’s second-largest painting. It is located right across the street from Leonardo da Vinci’s Vineyard, where you can tour exhibits of his winemaking endeavors and wander through vines replanted in 15th-century patterns.
- Museums. Although perhaps not as famous as those of Rome or Florence, Milan is home to a large number of high-quality museums. Naturally, there’s a wide variety of art museums and galleries, not the least of which include the Diocesan Museum, the Sforza Palace Complex, and the Museum of Twentieth Century. Other notable ones include the Archaeological Museum, Leonardo da Vinci Museum of Science and Technology, and Alfa Romeo Museum which is dedicated to the works of the famous Italian carmaker.
Traffic and parking
The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
For more about traveling around Italy with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Bergamo. Just 60 km (42 mi) from the city center, Milan’s smaller, but equally charming neighbor offers the walled Upper City, great restaurants, and countless museums and galleries.
- Turin. About 2 hours drive west of Milan, the capital of Piedmont Region and Italy’s fourth-largest city, Turin is sometimes considered Milan’s friendly rival. It offers stunning architecture, interesting history, and perhaps a tad more relaxed atmosphere.
- Lake Maggiore. The town of Arona, located on the southwest coast of this picturesque lake, is just a bit more than an hour’s drive away from Milan.
- Lecco. Located on the eastern bank of Lake Como, the little town of Lecco is famous not only for its scenic beauty, cable cars, and hiking trails, but also for landmarks like the stunning San Nicolò Basilica, towers, bridges, the Natural History Museum, and even a planetarium. Located some 55 km (37 miles) northeast of Milan, Lecco can be traveled to in one hour by car.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, but travelers also pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most often picked rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Switzerland. Closer to Milan than Rome and Venice, Switzerland is a great nearby destination full of dramatic mountain scenery and cozy little valley towns. Start in the Italian-speaking region of Ticino, then proceed to Geneva in the west or Davos and the many national parks in the east. Note that if you’re coming from Milan to Switzerland, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Côte d'Azur. France’s picturesque coastal stretch is just a four-hour drive southeast of Milan. Visit Mediterranean towns like Nice, Cannes, and Marseille, and make time for a short stop in Monaco, the affluent microstate that’ll be on the way. Note that if you’re coming from Milan to France, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Parma, Modena, and Bologna. The three cities of the Emilia-Romagna region are located next to the same national highway, and each make an equally interesting travel destination thanks to a unique history, architecture, and culinary traditions.
- Stelvio National Park. Shared between Lombardy and Südtirol, Stelvio is the largest national park in Italy. Located in the Alps on the border with Switzerland, the national park is made up of snow-capped peaks, pristine alpine lakes, and a network of hiking trails. You can also find a wide variety of local flora and fauna like the Alpine ibex, chamois, red deer, and western capercaillies. Located about 200 km (125 miles) from Milan, the national park takes some three hours to reach from Milan. There are many places to stay in and around the park so you don’t have to rush back to the city on the same day.
Car Rental Prices in Milan
- Convertibles - from $50 per day
- Station wagons - from $39 per day
- Large cars - from $23 per day
- Medium cars - from $13 per day
- Vans - from $39 per day
- Premium cars - from $51 per day
- Small cars - from $11 per day
- SUVs - from $16 per day
These are the things you can do to get the best possible rental deal in Milan:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Milan is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 45% cheaper than the yearly average and 68% cheaper than renting a car in June.
Top 20 Cities near Milan
Como Car Rentals from $28.52 per day33.5 km / 20.8 miles away
Pavia Car Rentals from $24.32 per day60.0 km / 37.3 miles away
Lodi Car Rentals from $53.50 per day69.8 km / 43.4 miles away
Bergamo Car Rentals from $13.20 per day76.0 km / 47.2 miles away
Turin Car Rentals from $16.74 per day96.8 km / 60.1 miles away
Brescia Car Rentals from $25.46 per day116.1 km / 72.1 miles away
127.3 km / 79.1 miles away
Genoa Car Rentals from $18.53 per day135.6 km / 84.3 miles away
Cuneo Car Rentals from $51.89 per day148.5 km / 92.3 miles away
Parma Car Rentals from $31.85 per day153.9 km / 95.6 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $16.45 per day170.3 km / 105.8 miles away
La Spezia Car Rentals from $32.84 per day190.6 km / 118.4 miles away
Trento Car Rentals from $26.41 per day191.7 km / 119.1 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $48.40 per day202.3 km / 125.7 miles away
Bolzano Car Rentals from $28.73 per day222.0 km / 137.9 miles away
Vicenza Car Rentals from $48.95 per day222.6 km / 138.3 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $12.23 per day235.0 km / 146.0 miles away
Lucca Car Rentals from $25.89 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $22.30 per day246.7 km / 153.3 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $13.02 per day253.3 km / 157.4 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Milan
Milan Airport Malpensa Car Rentals from $11.09 per day
Milan Duomo Car Rentals from $42.11 per day40.2 km / 25.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $34.47 per day40.5 km / 25.2 miles away
Milan Viale Umbria Car Rentals from $25.83 per day42.7 km / 26.5 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Rentals from $15.14 per day47.4 km / 29.5 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Rentals from $13.20 per day76.0 km / 47.2 miles away
Turin Airport Car Rentals from $16.74 per day96.8 km / 60.1 miles away
Genova Airport Car Rentals from $18.53 per day135.6 km / 84.3 miles away
Parma North Car Rentals from $48.40 per day154.3 km / 95.9 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $16.45 per day170.3 km / 105.8 miles away
Bolzano Airport Car Rentals from $33.47 per day220.7 km / 137.1 miles away
Bolzano Train Station Car Rentals from $45.29 per day224.6 km / 139.6 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $12.23 per day235.0 km / 146.0 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $18.54 per day240.5 km / 149.4 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $13.02 per day253.3 km / 157.4 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $30.61 per day262.6 km / 163.2 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $18.85 per day269.5 km / 167.5 miles away
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $23.15 per day273.0 km / 169.6 miles away
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $20.98 per day281.5 km / 174.9 miles away
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $11.50 per day282.4 km / 175.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Milan?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Milan?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Milan?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||39|
|Popular suppliers||Drivalia, RentalPlus, Sicily By Car, Noleggiare, Felirent|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$11 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Lancia Ypsilon||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.