Car Rental in Florence
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Florence?
Not only is it one of the most beautiful cities in Italy (and indeed, Europe), it also serves as a great starting point for exploring the surrounding region of Tuscany.
One-Way Car Rentals in Florence
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Florence and drop off in another city include:
- From Florence to Rome - 441 offers from $19.31 per day
- From Florence to Pisa - 219 offers from $19.31 per day
- From Florence to Catania - 147 offers from $19.31 per day
- From Florence to Naples - 137 offers from $19.31 per day
- From Florence to Bologna - 194 offers from $19.31 per day
Top ways to enter Florence
- Florence Airport (FLR): Located near the city center, Florence Peretola Airport (also known as Florence Amerigo Vespucci Airport) serves such varied European destinations as Spain, the United Kingdom, Albania, and Moldova, as well as many domestic destinations.
- Pisa Airport (PSA): Just over an hour’s drive from Florence and popular with low-cost carriers, flying to nearby Pisa Galileo Galilei Airport is another great way to reach Florence.
- Bologna Airport (BLQ): An hour and a half’s drive north of Florence, Bologna’s Guglielmo Marconi Airport is one of the largest and busiest in Italy.
- Livorno Port: Around a 90-minute drive west of Florence, Livorno Port also has car rental facilities. Ferries from Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, and Barcelona arrive at the port.
- The capital of the region of Tuscany, Florence has more than 1,500,000 inhabitants living in its metropolitan area.
- The hottest months in Florence are July and August when the average daily high temperature reaches around 25 °C (77 °F), although it can get much warmer during the day. The coldest months are December and January when the average temperature is about 6.5 °C (44 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Uffizi Galleries. First established in the 16th Century, the Uffizi Gallery is perhaps the most important Renaissance art museum in the world. Accademia Gallery. Home to Michelangelo’s famous ‘David’ sculpture, a visit to small the museum is appreciated by visitors of all ages, backgrounds, and interests.
- Palazzo Vecchio. Still functioning as Florence’s town hall, this impressive palace is an impressive architectural monument. Don’t miss the Hall of 500 or the Hall of Geographic Maps.. It is also famous for the replica of Michelangelo's "David" that’s placed right outside it, in the original location of the statue.
- Boboli Gardens. Visitors to this green area next to Pitti Palace can observe both interesting sculptures and great views of the rest of Florence.
- Piazza del Duomo. Florence’s Cathedral Square is the beating heart of the city. Much of the city’s magnificent history can be read from the square’s buildings. These include the Cathedral itself, an Italian Gothic architectural masterpiece that is the third-largest church in the world, as well as Giotto’s Bell Tower, the Baptistery, and the Duomo Museum.
- Bargello Museum. Another impressive art museum, the Bargello is located in a 13th-century building that served as a prison and barracks until the 19th century. Dedicated to the art of sculpture, the museum has a collection that includes the important works of many famous Renaissance artists — not just Michelangelo, but also Donatello, Giambologna, and many more.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- The speed limit on the Autostrada (toll road) is 130 km/h, reduced to 110 km/h if it’s raining. The speed limit on highways ranges from 90-110 km/h.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your driver’s license and International Driving Permit (if required for you) with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
- It’s easiest to park outside the city walls and walk or take public transport or a taxi into the historic center. Blue lines are pay parking.
- Be careful not to enter the ZTL (zona traffico limitato - limited traffic zone) if you don’t have permission.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route of your choice and the type of a vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Pisa. The main attraction of this nearby Tuscan city is, of course, its leaning tower, but it offers so much more in architecture, arts, and cuisine.
- Tuscan countryside. For many visitors, a trip to visit Chianti wineries is a highlight of their Italian travels. The surrounding hilltop villages are idyllic. Head south to visit the Val d’Orcia, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and photographer’s dream. It’s also the home of pecorino cheese and famous wines like Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano.
- Arezzo. Just over an hours drive south of Florence lies Arezzo, a former Etruscan town. it is home to a lovely old town dereft of crowds. It also hosts a well-known antique market in the main square once a month.
- Viareggio. About an hour drive west of Florence on the coast is Viareggio. This small town is home to one of the most famous Carnival celebrartions in Europe.
- Lucca. A favorite of many travelers to Tuscany, Lucca has a quiet city center, beautiful piazzas, and wide city walls that you can cycle on.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Italy is the Fiat Panda, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
For more about traveling around Italy with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Northern Italy. Cities like Milan, Ravenna, Venice, and Bologna are easily reached with a rental car.
- Rome. Italy’s timeless capital can be explored for weeks, and its contemporary arts scene and amazing cuisine can very nearly rival its countless historic landmark.
- Southern Italy. Southern Italy’s impressive nature, incredible ruins, and hospitable locals are just a few reasons why some travelers like it even more than the north.
Car Rental Prices in Florence
- Convertibles - from $110 per day
- Station wagons - from $97 per day
- Large cars - from $71 per day
- Medium cars - from $49 per day
- Vans - from $112 per day
- Premium cars - from $117 per day
- Small cars - from $37 per day
- SUVs - from $77 per day
There are things you can do to get a good rental deal in Florence:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. Visiting Mainland Italy during the low season might be at least two times cheaper than coming here during the high season of tourism.
- Visit during low seasons - outside of summer months and major holidays (like Easter, Ferragosto, Christmas).
- Explore pickup locations. A nearby town that’s reached easily by train may have a better rate.
- Don’t rent a car for time you’ll spend in cities. It will just sit in a parking lot or garage (and you’ll need to pay for parking!).
- Look into renting ‘open jaw’ - pick up your car in one destination and drop it off in another. While you will likely need to pay a supplement for your car rental, you’ll save money on gas and tolls and you’ll save precious vacation time!
- Visit during the month the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Florence is the cheapest in April when renting a car - about 44% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 60% cheaper than renting a car in June.
Top 20 Cities near Florence
Lucca Car Rentals from $62.51 per day55.3 km / 34.4 miles away
Siena Car Rentals from $66.82 per day56.9 km / 35.4 miles away
Arezzo Car Rentals from $55.92 per day65.1 km / 40.5 miles away
Pisa Car Rentals from $36.82 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Viareggio Car Rentals from $65.42 per day77.0 km / 47.8 miles away
Livorno Car Rentals from $36.82 per day77.8 km / 48.3 miles away
Bologna Car Rentals from $27.12 per day80.9 km / 50.3 miles away
Forli Car Rentals from $45.68 per day81.3 km / 50.5 miles away
Modena Car Rentals from $37.76 per day96.2 km / 59.8 miles away
Chiusi Car Rentals from $65.28 per day107.9 km / 67.0 miles away
Rimini Car Rentals from $57.63 per day112.9 km / 70.2 miles away
La Spezia Car Rentals from $50.95 per day113.6 km / 70.6 miles away
Perugia Car Rentals from $56.32 per day132.1 km / 82.1 miles away
Parma Car Rentals from $45.68 per day132.3 km / 82.2 miles away
Pesaro Car Rentals from $47.25 per day134.9 km / 83.8 miles away
Orvieto Scalo Car Rentals from $80.92 per day142.3 km / 88.4 miles away
Ancona Car Rentals from $42.46 per day174.7 km / 108.6 miles away
Verona Car Rentals from $21.46 per day178.1 km / 110.7 miles away
Terni Car Rentals from $48.97 per day181.4 km / 112.7 miles away
Padua Car Rentals from $41.07 per day186.6 km / 115.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Florence
Florence Airport Car Rentals from $37.10 per day
Downtown Car Rentals from $51.66 per day5.1 km / 3.2 miles away
Pisa Airport Car Rentals from $43.77 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Bologna Train Station Car Rentals from $28.20 per day78.1 km / 48.5 miles away
Livorno Port Car Rentals from $53.54 per day78.3 km / 48.7 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Rentals from $27.12 per day80.9 km / 50.3 miles away
Chiusi Train Station Car Rentals from $74.58 per day108.4 km / 67.4 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Rentals from $57.63 per day115.1 km / 71.5 miles away
Perugia Airport Car Rentals from $62.76 per day132.1 km / 82.1 miles away
Parma North Car Rentals from $45.68 per day133.0 km / 82.6 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Rentals from $42.46 per day174.7 km / 108.6 miles away
Verona Airport Car Rentals from $21.46 per day178.1 km / 110.7 miles away
Genoa Airport Car Rentals from $32.60 per day200.6 km / 124.6 miles away
Venice Mestre Train Station Car Rentals from $54.10 per day203.2 km / 126.3 miles away
Venice Airport Car Rentals from $31.52 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Rentals from $35.44 per day218.9 km / 136.0 miles away
Rome Via Aurelia Car Rentals from $40.61 per day235.1 km / 146.1 miles away
Rome Centre Villa Borghese Car Rentals from $63.64 per day235.2 km / 146.1 miles away
Rome Tiburtina Train station Car Rentals from $53.38 per day237.2 km / 147.4 miles away
Milan Airport Linate Car Rentals from $22.45 per day237.4 km / 147.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Florence?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Florence?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Florence?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||8|
|Popular suppliers||Noleggiare, Sicily By Car, Drivalia, RentalPlus, Locauto|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$37 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Peugeot 108||5||2||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Crossland X||5||3||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.