Car Rental at Honolulu Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
The capital of Hawaii, Honolulu is a truly unique city – and not just because it is more than 2,000 miles (3,200 km) from the American mainland. The access that the city provides to the scenic Oahu beaches is well known and celebrated, but Honolulu is also a great place to visit in its own right, with lots going on culturally and in terms of entertainment. These are three of the best places to visit in and around it:
- Beaches. The main reason why most people visit Hawaii is the beaches of the Southern Pacific, and if you're one of them, you’re not going to be disappointed. Located on the southwestern coast of Oahu, Honolulu provides access to plenty of stunning coastline. The Waikiki Beach, immediately to the south of the city, is the nearest and the most famous one, but other notable spots include Hanauma Bay (at the far south of the island, 20 minutes away), and Lanikai Beach (on the southeastern coast, and can be reached in 40 minutes).
- Honolulu Museum of Art. Honolulu is not just the home of surfing and beach leisure, it also boasts some impressive cultural institutions. A case in point is the city’s main art museum which celebrated its 100th birthday in 1922 and boasts masterpieces of Modigliani, Cezanne, de Chirico, Degas, and many other famous artists, not to mention a collection of Polynesian art. Visit the museum’s official website to learn more.
- ʻIolani Palace. A curious case of architectural syncretism, this palace was built when Hawaii was still under the rule of the indigenous Kalākaua Dynasty, but was projected by American architects and borrows heavily from both local and Renaissance styles. The result is one of the most interesting buildings which remains a famous tourist attraction to this day.
Top international routes
- Tokyo-Narita, Japan
- Seoul- Incheon
- Sydney, Australia
- Vancouver, Canada
- Shanghai-Pudong, China
- Manila, Philippines
- Toronto, Canada
- Melbourne, Australia
- Tahiti, French Polynesia
Terminal 2 is larger, with 29 gates spread across three concourses none of which are dedicated to a single airline. The flights of almost all other airlines depart from and arrive at Terminal 2.
Terminal 3 hosts the flights of Mokulele Airlines which operates flights the other Hawaiian Islands of Maui, Molokai, O’ahu, and Lanai.
Most popular types of rental car
- Convertibles - from $72 per day
- Large cars - from $43 per day
- Medium cars - from $41 per day
- Vans - from $95 per day
- Premium cars - from $56 per day
- Small cars - from $41 per day
- SUVs - from $47 per day
Car rental desks
It should be noted that Europcar is served by Advantage’s rental desk. If you book a car with Europcar as the supplier, check in at the Advantage desk.
Services and facilities
The airport has plenty of shopping and dining establishments, though those transiting through Terminal 1 will notice less of a selection. When it comes to food and drink, typical fast food chains and some bars are available. Unfortunately, you are unlikely to find Hawaiian food at the airport.
Wifi is supposedly available throughout the terminals, though many travelers report that only works in some parts of Terminal 2.
The Airport has lounges in both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. In addition to the Hawaiian Airlines lounge, Terminal 1 also has a private lounge called the Plumeria Lounge. In Terminal 2, four airline lounges and one private lounge can be found.
A few hotels are located very close to the airport. All of them offer free shuttles. Pacific Marina Inn, Airport Honolulu and Best Western Plaza Hotels are the nearest. If a member of the military, there is a Navy Gateway Inn and Suites not far from the airport.
If arriving from outside the U.S., money exchange is available. Though, as usual, it is best to withdraw cash from an ATM or exchange money elsewhere due to the poor rates offered in airports.
Nearest gas station
If looking on Google Maps, you may spot a gas station off of Nimitz Road just north of the airport. This is actually a Navy Exchange station and is for members of the military only.
Honolulu Airport (HNL)
- IATA: HNL
- ICAO: PHNL
- Name: Honolulu Airport (HNL)
- Distance from city: 3 miles / 4.8 km
Top 7 Locations near Honolulu Airport
Car Rental at Honolulu Waikiki Beach Resort from $92.86 per day10.7 km / 6.6 miles away
Car Rental at Molokai Airport from $44.29 per day87.6 km / 54.4 miles away
Car Rental at Kapalua Airport from $44.29 per day135.5 km / 84.2 miles away
Car Rental at Kahului Airport from $42.76 per day161.7 km / 100.5 miles away
Car Rental at Lihue Airport from $44.98 per day163.6 km / 101.7 miles away
Car Rental at Kona International Airport from $42.95 per day262.8 km / 163.3 miles away
Car Rental at Hilo Airport from $43.42 per day348.1 km / 216.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Honolulu Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Honolulu Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Honolulu Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Economy rent a car, Dollar, yesaway, Thrifty, Enterprise|
|Popular car categories||Large cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$41 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Economy rent a car||Nissan Versa||4||2||Medium cars|
|Economy rent a car||Fiat 500||4||2||Small cars|
|yesaway||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Economy rent a car||Nissan Altima||4||3||Large cars|
|Dollar||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Economy rent a car||Nissan Sentra||4||2||Large cars|
|Dollar||Honda Civic||4||2||Large cars|
|Economy rent a car||Toyota Corolla||4||3||Large cars|
|Economy rent a car||Dodge Caravan||4||4||Vans|
|Thrifty||Mazda 3||5||3||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.