Car Rental at Maputo Airport
Airport Car Rental
Mozambique might not be as popular a tourist destination as its famous neighbor, South Africa, but those who visit this Portuguese-speaking country are not going to be disappointed. Located in the far south of the country, the capital, Maputo, is Mozambique’s cultural center and also provides access to some lovely beaches and nature. These are three of the best places to visit in and around it:
- Natural History Museum. Compact and cozy, this museum celebrates the fascinating flora and fauna of Mozambique, making it one of the most interesting cultural institutions in the capital. Although most of the exposition is in Portuguese, it is still a fun place to visit for the whole family as exhibits include full-size elephants and various other taxidermied elephants. The museum is a short walk from the Valentine (or Namorados) Garden, so both places can be visited on the same visit.
- Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Lourenço Marques. Also known by its less challenging colloquial name, Maputo Fort, is one of the capital’s most important historical landmarks. Established by the Dutch and historically held by English pirates, the Austrians, and the Portuguese, it is a monument of Mozambique’s turbulent colonial past. Nowadays, the fort complex provides a home to several museums. Within walking distance, you’ll find Maputo’s historic central railway station, a must-visit if you enjoy Beaux-Arts style architecture or want to see some of the old steam locomotives on display.
- Casa de Ferro (Iron House). Also a highlight in Maputo, the prefabricated iron building was imported from Belgium and reassembled in 1892. It is often said that it was designed by Gustave Eiffel, but this is likely not true. It was intended to be the residence of the Governor of the District of Lourenço Marques but was never inhabited. Instead, it served as the seat of a variety of local and national institutions throughout its existence.
- Maputo Special Reserve. Although not especially easy to get to – it is nearly three hours away and might involve some off-road driving, which is why some tourists prefer to visit on an organized tour — the Special Reserve is a fascinating place. Previously known as the Maputo Elephant Park, its wetlands and mangrove forests remain home to a small group of coastal elephants, as well as a variety of other tropical flora and fauna.
Top international routes
- Addis Ababa
- Dar es Salaam
- Cape Town
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Vilankulo (649 km / 403 mi)
- Beira (1,212 km / 753 mi)
- Nampula (2,094 km / 1,351 mi)
- Mbabane (218 km / 135 mi)
- Johannesburg (550 km / 342 mi)
- Durban (600 km / 373 mi)
Maputo Airport (MPM)
- IATA: MPM
- ICAO: FQMA
- Name: Maputo Airport (MPM)
- Distance from city: 1.9 miles / 3 km
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Maputo Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Maputo Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Maputo Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs,|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Europcar||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Europcar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.