Car Rental in Tenerife
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Tenerife?
Tenerife is a great place to travel around by car. From large cities to long beaches and fascinating inland area, the island is best explored if you have the freedom of your own wheels that allow you to go wherever you want.
One-Way Car Rentals in Tenerife
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Tenerife and drop off in another city include:
- From Tenerife to Lanzarote - 24 offers from € 29.67 per day
- From Tenerife to Gran Canaria - 30 offers from € 29.34 per day
- From Tenerife to La Palma - 15 offers from € 29.34 per day
Top ways to enter Tenerife
- Tenerife North Airport: Located close to Santa Cruz de Tenerife, the island’s largest city, this airports hosts flights to and from other Canary Islands, mainland Spain, Europe, and Africa.
- Tenerife South Airport: Tenerife’s busiest airport is popular with a large number of low-cost carriers and is especially busy during summers.
- By sea: It is also possible to take a ferry from one of the nearby islands or even from the mainland Spain. You can then get a rental car in one of the many car pick-up locations on the island.
Useful city facts
- Tenerife enjoys a warm tropical climate with low precipitation throughout the year. The warmest month is August with an average high of 29 °C (84 °F).
- The main language spoken by the locals is Spanish. English is much better known in the south of the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The capital and largest city of Tenerife is home to castles, museums, and restaurants. The Las Gaviotas Beach with its black sand is also worth a visit.
- Southern beaches. The most visited part of the island has the perfect beach for everyone, from Las Vistas in the town of Los Cristianos that’s famous for parties to Los Gigantes with its huge cliffs, Las Galletas with its serene atmosphere, and El Médano that’s a paradise for water sport lovers.
- San Cristóbal de La Laguna. A UNESCO World Heritage site and the oldest settlement on the island, San Cristóbal has interesting architecture and many historic artefacts throughout the city.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads inside the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Teide. The largest mountain not only of Canary Islands but of the whole Spain, Teide is the center of a national park of the same name and home to unique flora and fauna. A cable car takes you almost all the way up to Mount Teide summit.
- Cueva del Viento. Once home to now extinct giant lizard and a sacred place for the island’s original inhabitants, “the Wind Cave” is one of the biggest and most impressive lava cave systems in the world.
- A road trip around the island. Tenerife has arguably some of the most scenic drives in the world. Travel along the coast and through the mountains, stop at pristine empty beaches and little villages, and make sure to pay a visit to the stunning Masca Valley cliffs.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in the Canary Islands are the Kia Picanto, the VW Polo and the Renault Clio. The most popular car types is an economy, followed by mini and compact.
- Gran Canaria. Sometimes considered the friendly rival of Tenerife, Gran Canaria is the second-most populous island in the archipelago. Attractions include Las Palmas, the largest Canarian city, as well as fun beach towns like Maspalomas, the prehistoric site of Risco Caído, and volcanic landscapes. Keep in mind: Some rental car companies permit picking up a rental car on one island and dropping it off on another, but you should also see if the ferry company allows it. You will need to buy an additional ticket for your rental, and it’s generally a good idea to book tickets in advance, especially if you’re traveling during the warmer half of the year. Alternatively, you can drop off your rental on one island, travel without it, and pick one up on the next after arriving.
- La Gomera. Located just west of Tenerife, the little island of La Gomera is one of the most mythical destinations in the Canary Islands. It is known for its unique whistling language, El Silbo, which was created to allow locals to communicate across its long valleys. The islan’s cliffs, peaks, and beaches make it one of the best hiking destinations in all of Spain.
- La Palma. Another one of the smaller Canary Islands that is sometimes overlooked by foreign travelers who stick to Tenerife and Gran Canaria, La Palma shouldn’t be mistaken for Palma de Mallorca, the largest city in the Balearic Islands in the Mediterranean Sea. As elsewhere in the Canaries, the island is home to beautiful landscapes but also boasts interesting museums, the peak of El Roque de los Muchachos, and a special, secluded atmosphere.
Car Rental Prices in Tenerife
- Convertibles - from $78 per day
- Station wagons - from $25 per day
- Large cars - from $46 per day
- Medium cars - from $30 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $56 per day
- Premium cars - from $96 per day
- Small cars - from $22 per day
- SUVs - from $96 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good car deal in Tenerife:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Tenerife is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 41% cheaper than the yearly average and about 65% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 6 Cities near Tenerife
Lanzarote Car Rentals from $35.60 per day313.0 km / 194.5 miles away
Fuerteventura Car Rentals from $25.41 per day283.1 km / 175.9 miles away
119.2 km / 74.0 miles away
La Palma Car Rentals from $10.80 per day114.3 km / 71.0 miles away
La Gomera Car Rentals from $16.66 per day48.3 km / 30.0 miles away
Playa del Ingles Car Rentals from $25.41 per day121.3 km / 75.4 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Tenerife
Tenerife H10 Costa Adeje Palace Car Rentals from $16.99 per day3.2 km / 2.0 miles away
Tenerife GF Gran Costa Adaje Car Rentals from $15.45 per day3.2 km / 2.0 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Victoria Car Rentals from $15.45 per day3.5 km / 2.2 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Jardines de Nivaria Car Rentals from $15.45 per day3.7 km / 2.3 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Hotel Bahia Principe Car Rentals from $16.99 per day3.9 km / 2.4 miles away
Playa Paraiso H10 Atlantic Sunset Hotel Car Rentals from $16.99 per day4.1 km / 2.5 miles away
Playa Paraiso Hard Rock Hotel Car Rentals from $16.99 per day4.1 km / 2.6 miles away
Playa Paraiso Roca Nivaria Gran Hotel Car Rentals from $16.99 per day4.3 km / 2.7 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Troya Hotel Car Rentals from $15.45 per day6.1 km / 3.8 miles away
Los Cristianos Gara Suites Car Rentals from $15.45 per day6.6 km / 4.1 miles away
Los Cristianos Hotel Columbus Car Rentals from $15.45 per day6.9 km / 4.3 miles away
Los Cristianos H10 Conquistador Car Rentals from $15.45 per day7.2 km / 4.5 miles away
Tenerife Los Cristianos Port Car Rentals from $35.60 per day8.2 km / 5.1 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza Car Rentals from $16.17 per day16.0 km / 9.9 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel Car Rentals from $16.99 per day16.1 km / 10.0 miles away
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel Car Rentals from $15.45 per day16.4 km / 10.2 miles away
Tenerife Airport South Car Rentals from $8.03 per day18.0 km / 11.2 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Apartments Turquesa Playa Car Rentals from $14.70 per day36.4 km / 22.6 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Car Rentals from $14.70 per day37.4 km / 23.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Tenerife?
What’s the usual rental length in Tenerife?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Tenerife?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Canarias||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|