Car Hire in Tenerife
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Tenerife?
Home of both the prettiest beaches and loudest parties in the Canaries, Tenerife has a decades-long standing as a popular vacation destination. Those looking for more of a challenge will look into climbing El Teide, Spain’s highest peak, or exploring the national park that surrounds it.
One-way Car Hire in Tenerife
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Tenerife and drop off in another city include:
- From Tenerife to Lanzarote - 24 offers from £ 25.80 per day
- From Tenerife to Gran Canaria - 30 offers from £ 25.52 per day
- From Tenerife to La Palma - 15 offers from £ 25.52 per day
Top ways to enter Tenerife
- Tenerife South Airport. The busiest of the two international airports serving the island, Tenerife South serves about 11 million passengers yearly. The airport has flights by more than 30 different airlines, including low-cost carriers such as easyJet and Ryanair.
- Tenerife North Airport. The smaller of the two, Tenerife North handles about 5.8 million travellers every year. The airport is just a 20-minute drive west of Santa Cruz, the main settlement of the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Cruz. Tenerife is naturally all about the beach, but if you can, spare at least a day for its largest city. The co-capital of the Canary Islands, Santa Cruz is home to a beautiful and notably diverse architecture of various styles, the Museum of Nature and Archaeology (with a large focus on the native Guanche population), and plenty of character.
- Los Cristianos. Located near the Tenerife South Airport, Los Cristianos is perhaps the most famous coastal resort on the island. In addition to having splendid public beaches, the town also serves as a convenient hub for accessing most of the notable attractions of Southern Tenerife and is a jump-off point for whale watching tours.
- El Teide. A volcano and a mountain reaching the awe-inspiring height of 3,718 m (or 12,198 feet), El Teide is the symbol of Tenerife. It’s possible to reach the mountain top (although that requires a special permit), but exploring the surrounding national park of the same name can be just as exciting.
Traffic and parking
- Spain recognizes driving licences from all the member states of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) if they are valid and if you’re visiting for a time period that is less than six months. If you are staying for longer than six months or if you’re a full-time resident of Spain, you need to acquire a Spanish driving licence.
- Important: Sources differ on whether you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) if you’re coming from outside the EU/EEA and are on a short visit. While your rental car company might permit you to rent a car with your valid foreign license, some sources claim that the Spanish police might not recognize your home license and will require you to have an IDP. Because of this, it’s probably safer to get an IDP and carry both your original licence and the IDP with you.
- Similarly, if your driving licence doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- You must carry your driving licence, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driving licence for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
There are no toll roads in Tenerife, nor on any of the other Canary Islands.
Ideas for day trips
- San Cristóbal de La Laguna. A UNESCO World Heritage site, this highland city is perhaps the most interesting historical attraction in the Canaries. Overlooking the sea and the city of Santa Cruz (from which it is only a 20-minute drive away), San Cristóbal is home to architectural gems like the Church of the Immaculate Conception and House of Salazar.
- Teno Rural Park. Located on the relatively remote (though easily accessible) western coast of Tenerife, Teno is a place for long hikes that let visitors explore the park’s marine cliffs and great avian diversity. The drive here takes 45 minutes from Los Cristianos and twice as long from Santa Cruz.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Tenerife is the Fiat Panda, followed by the Seat Ibiza and the VW Polo. The most popular car types are economy, mini, and compact.
Car Hire Prices in Tenerife
- Convertibles - starting at £ 16 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 31 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 14 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 7 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 22 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 16 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 5 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 9 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, our data shows that hiring a car in Tenerife is the cheapest in the month of June.
Top 5 Cities near Tenerife
La Gomera Car Hire starting at £ 11.11 per day52.7 km / 32.7 miles away
Gran Canaria Car Hire starting at £ 3.76 per day116.7 km / 72.5 miles away
La Palma Car Hire starting at £ 6.47 per day132.3 km / 82.2 miles away
Fuerteventura Car Hire starting at £ 8.13 per day269.2 km / 167.3 miles away
Lanzarote Car Hire starting at £ 6.23 per day306.8 km / 190.6 miles away
Top 17 Destinations around Tenerife
Tenerife Airport South Car Hire starting at £ 5.49 per day
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel Car Hire starting at £ 23.19 per day3.8 km / 2.4 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza Car Hire starting at £ 19.77 per day4.2 km / 2.6 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel Car Hire starting at £ 19.77 per day4.5 km / 2.8 miles away
Tenerife Hotel La Siesta Car Hire starting at £ 25.11 per day15.9 km / 9.9 miles away
Tenerife GF Gran Costa Adaje Car Hire starting at £ 18.83 per day17.0 km / 10.6 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Victoria Car Hire starting at £ 18.83 per day17.2 km / 10.7 miles away
Tenerife H10 Costa Adeje Palace Car Hire starting at £ 19.77 per day18.3 km / 11.4 miles away
Gran Canaria Meloneras Car Hire starting at £ 4.50 per day101.3 km / 62.9 miles away
Playa del Ingles City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 4.50 per day102.8 km / 63.9 miles away
Gran Canaria Airport Car Hire starting at £ 3.76 per day116.7 km / 72.5 miles away
La Palma Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.47 per day132.3 km / 82.2 miles away
217.9 km / 135.4 miles away
Fuerteventura Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.13 per day269.2 km / 167.3 miles away
Corralejo Port Car Hire starting at £ 22.86 per day276.1 km / 171.6 miles away
Playa Blanca Port Car Hire starting at £ 22.86 per day282.5 km / 175.5 miles away
Lanzarote Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.23 per day306.8 km / 190.6 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Tenerife the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Tenerife?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Tenerife?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||41|
|Popular suppliers||TopCar, Goldcar, GoByCar, Budget, Turisprime|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||£ 5 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|TopCar||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|TopCar||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|GoByCar||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|TopCar||Citroen C3 Aircross||5||3||Medium cars|
|Turisprime||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|GoByCar||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.