Car Rental in Menorca
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Menorca?
Menorca (or Minorca) is a great place to explore by car. It is smaller and less crowded than its older sister, Mallorca, but Menorca’s shoreline and nature areas are just as impressive. For those looking for something more than just a beach holiday, Menorca also has many historic sites telling the story of the peoples who have inhabited the island since ancient times. Small distances mean that any point on the island can be reached within an hour by car from anywhere else on the island.
One-Way Car Rentals in Menorca
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Menorca and drop off in another city include:
- From Menorca to Mallorca - 14 offers from 27.66 USD per day
- From Menorca to Ibiza - 14 offers from 27.66 USD per day
Top ways to enter Menorca
- Menorca Airport: Located just 4.5km (3 miles) from the island’s capital city, Mao, Menorca Airport might be quite small, but it still handles more than 3.4 million travelers every year. The airport is a seasonal focus city for the Spanish low-cost carrier Vueling and is also served by around 30 other airlines.
- Palma de Mallorca Airport: Also known as San Sont Joan, it is the third-busiest airport in Spain after Barajas in Madrid and El Prat in Barcelona. The airport is a hub for six different airlines, including Air Europe, easyJet, Ryanair, and Jet2.com. Unlike the airports in Menorca and Ibiza, Palma Airport has a much higher proportion of flights that are active throughout the year and not just in the summer season.
- Barcelona El Prat Airport: The primary airport of Spain’s second city, Barcelona-El Prat handled more than 50 million passengers in 2018. The airport hosts countless flights to and from destinations in Spain and the rest of Europe and also has connections to the Americas, the Middle East, and East and South Asia.
- Girona-Costa Brava Airport: A small international airport in the famous Costa Brava coastal region of Catalonia, Girona Airport handles around 2 million travelers every year. The airport is located about 90km (56 miles) northeast of Barcelona from where you can take a ferry to Menorca.
- Valencia Airport: Serving the third largest city in Spain, Valencia Airport has flights by around 25 airlines, including low-cost carriers such as Ryanair, Vueling, and Wizz Air. There are both frequent flights and a ferry service between Valencia and Menorca.
It is possible to reach Menorca by ferry from neighboring Mallorca, Ibiza (with a transfer in Mallorca), and Barcelona and Valencia on the Spanish mainland. It is a good idea to check the ferry schedule in advance as the service is more active during the summer months. Even if there are available ferries, ask your rental car provider if they permit bringing a rental car on a ferry and whether it’s allowed to pick up a rental car in one place (e.g., Palma, Barcelona) and then drop it off in Menorca. Some providers permit this, while others don’t. Another good plan is to arrive on Menorca without a car and pick it up once you’re on the island.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of the Balearic Islands, Menorca has a pleasant Mediterranean climate with very hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature is 25°C (77°F) in July, the warmest month, and 11°C (51°F) in January and February, the winter months. It is very dry from June to August with practically no precipitation in July. October and November are the rainiest months.
- Despite its popularity with tourists, the island of Menorca is home to many exotic and unique plant and animal species. If you’re a lover of nature, the best place to visit is the S’Albufera des Grau National Park on the island’s southwest coast - animals like Lilford’s wall lizards, two species of geckos, European pond terrapin turtles, and booted eagles can be spotted here.
Top destinations and activities
- Maó. Also known as Mahón, the island’s capital is best known for its picturesque port and attracts the largest number of tourists. But Maó’s long and varied history means there’s also plenty to enjoy in terms of architecture, from Roman and Muslim ruins and sites to a 15th-century Franciscan Monastery and 18th-century Georgian streets in the town’s center.
- Ciutadella. The other city of Menorca, Ciutadella is famous for its many 17th-century religious buildings, such as the Ciutadella Cathedral and the Sant Agusti Convent . With your own rental car, you can also reach the beautiful Punta Nati Lighthouse that’s located just north of the town center.
- Cala en Bosc. Located on the southwest corner of the island, Cala en Bosc is one of the most famous resorts of the Balearic Islands. A long, picturesque shore lined with many beach restaurants, small bars, and surfing schools, it is, perhaps more than anywhere else on the island, how travelers imagine Menorca before visiting. Those traveling with children will enjoy visiting Cala en Bosc’s water park.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance always must always be inside the vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling in the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
As of 2019, there are no toll roads on Menorca.
There is one toll road on the neighboring island of Mallorca, the MA-11. It starts at the island’s capital, Palma, and goes north to the town of Sóller. You can also take the old MA110 that is free of charge and offers a more scenic route, but takes about 30 minutes longer.
There are many toll roads on mainland Spain. They are called ‘carretera de peaje’ in Spanish. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Monte Toro. The highest point of Menorca, Monte Toro offers truly stunning views of the island and the sea that surrounds it. Other points of interest here include a hilltop restaurant and a monastery that’s located near the summit. Monte Toro is near Es Mercadal, a town that has the most lively outdoor market on Menorca. Es Marcadal is 22km (13. 7 miles) north of Maó and can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Naveta d’Es Tudons. An impressive megalithic stone chamber and a burial site, Naveta was built by a culture that inhabited the island around 3,000 years ago. Almost nothing is known about these people and their reasons for creating such a huge site, but that only adds to the immensity of the site. One of the most popular tourist landmarks in Menorca, Naveta d’Es Tudons is about 40km (24.8 miles) northwest of Maó and can be reached in 35-40 minutes.
- Líthica. A labyrinth, walls, and roads created out of a sandstone quarry near Ciutadella, Líthica is one of the strangest and most beautiful places in Menorca. Surrounded by botanical gardens that have many of the island’s native plants, it is the perfect place for a long and relaxing day outdoors. Located 44km (27 miles) west of Maó, Líthica can be reached in about 40 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Menorca is the Renault Clio, and many travelers also go for the Ford Focus and the Fiat Panda. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
- Mallorca. The largest and most famous of the Balearic Islands, Mallorca is known for its beaches, fun nightlife, and all-inclusive resorts. But with a rental car, you can see more than just the tourist areas and visit the island’s mountains, national parks, and natural landmarks like the Dragon Caves. While it is technically possible to bring a rental car on a ferry from Menorca to Mallorca, you should ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Barcelona. With Sagrada Família and other impressive architecture by Antoni Gaudí, the fun La Rambla street that is the city’s beating heart, and Camp Nou, the home stadium of FC Barcelona that is one of the football temples of the world, Barcelona has an almost unmatched array of unique landmarks. More than 2,000 years old, but always youthful and changing, it remains one of the most interesting cities in Europe, and, indeed, the world. While it is possible to bring a rental car on a ferry from Menorca to Barcelona, you should ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Valencia. Spain’s third largest city is sometimes overlooked as a tourist destination - it doesn’t have the history of Madrid and Barcelona, and its beaches are not as famous as those of nearby Alicante or Costa del Sol. But that is a shame, because Valencia is a great place to visit - it has gothic churches with ceilings lined with frescoes, modern landmarks like the awesome City of Arts and Sciences complex, and the best paella in Spain. Relatively close to both Barcelona and Madrid, it would be a shame not to visit if you’re going to Mainland Spain. While it is possible to bring a rental car on a ferry from Menorca to Valencia, you should ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Menorca
- Convertibles - from $16 per day
- Station wagons - from $44 per day
- Large cars - from $36 per day
- Medium cars - from $31 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $55 per day
- Small cars - from $24 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are a number of things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Menorca. Start with:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Menorca is the cheapest in January when renting a car is an unbelievable 85% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit the Balearic Islands during the tourism low season and have the beach just for yourself!
Top 20 Locations near Menorca
Cala Galdana Car Rentals from $25.67 per day10.7 km / 6.6 miles away
Santo Tomas Car Rentals from $25.67 per day17.3 km / 10.8 miles away
Son Bou Car Rentals from $25.67 per day21.1 km / 13.1 miles away
Arenal d'en Castell Car Rentals from $25.67 per day31.8 km / 19.7 miles away
Menorca Airport Car Rentals from $12.55 per day34.1 km / 21.2 miles away
Cala Ratjada Downtown Car Rentals from $19.04 per day39.9 km / 24.8 miles away
Punta Prima Car Rentals from $20.56 per day40.3 km / 25.1 miles away
Cala Millor Downtown Car Rentals from $7.39 per day54.0 km / 33.5 miles away
Mallorca Sa Coma Car Rentals from $24.37 per day56.2 km / 34.9 miles away
Can Picafort Downtown Car Rentals from $19.04 per day60.7 km / 37.7 miles away
Alcudia Downtown Car Rentals from $24.37 per day62.9 km / 39.1 miles away
Puerto Pollensa Downtown Car Rentals from $22.82 per day70.0 km / 43.5 miles away
Cala d'Or Downtown Car Rentals from $33.03 per day80.3 km / 49.9 miles away
Port de Soller Downtown Car Rentals from $27.27 per day98.2 km / 61.0 miles away
Palma de Mallorca Airport Car Rentals from $5.57 per day102.7 km / 63.8 miles away
Palma Nova Downtown Car Rentals from $22.82 per day120.2 km / 74.7 miles away
Magaluf Downtown Car Rentals from $28.67 per day120.8 km / 75.1 miles away
Santa Ponsa Downtown Car Rentals from $22.82 per day124.7 km / 77.5 miles away
Paguera Downtown Car Rentals from $19.04 per day125.8 km / 78.2 miles away
Santa Eulalia Car Rentals from $20.56 per day222.1 km / 138.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Menorca?
What’s the usual rental length in Menorca?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Menorca?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Click&Rent||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Qashqai||5||2||SUVs|
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 16 Suppliers in Menorca in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email