Car Rental in Guadalajara
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Guadalajara?
One of the largest cities in Mexico, Guadalajara has become an attractive travel destination. With a mix of colonial and independence-era architecture, the city is one of the nicest places in Mexico for sightseeing. The birthplace of Mariachi music and Tequila, it is also one of the best urban areas in the country to experience traditional Mexican culture. Guadalajara is the capital of the state of Jalisco which is known for its mild weather, Pacific beaches, and delicious cuisine, like the famous tortas ahogadas (drowned sandwiches) and birria tacos (shredded meat).
One-Way Car Rentals in Guadalajara
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Guadalajara and drop off in another city include:
- From Guadalajara to Aguascalientes - 48 offers from $32.70 per day
- From Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta - 166 offers from $38.21 per day
- From Guadalajara to Tijuana - 47 offers from $96.07 per day
- From Guadalajara to Mexico City - 148 offers from $41.92 per day
- From Guadalajara to Cancun - 32 offers from $89.59 per day
Top ways to enter Guadalajara
- Guadalajara Airport (GDL): Also known as Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla Airport, it handled more than 12 million travelers in 2021, according to Wikipedia The airport is a large hub for the Mexican low-cost airlines VivaAerobús and Volaris and serves many domestic destinations, as well as air routes to the United States and Central America. Located about 18km (12 miles) southeast of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Puerto Vallarta Airport (PVR): Serving the popular resort town of the same name, Puerto Vallarta Airport handles about 2.5 million travelers annually. The airport is served by around 20 airlines, providing flights to destinations across the Americas and even some in Europe. Situated 330km (205 miles) west of Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta is about a five-hour drive from Guadalajara.
- Mexico City Airport (MEX): By far the busiest in the country, Mexico City Airport is the main port of entry for many foreign visitors as it hosts flights to and from destinations from around the globe. The trip from the capital to Guadalajara takes about six hours.
Top destinations and activities
- Museums. Guadalajara has a long and proud indigenous and colonial past, so it’s no surprise that the city is home to many interesting museums. Some of the highlights include the Regional Museum of Guadalajara (sometimes called the Anthropology Museum), Archaeological Museum of Western Mexico, Ibero-American Library, and the surprisingly diverse Regional Museum with impressive exhibits like a full skeleton of a mammoth.
- Hospicio Cabañas. A vast and impressive hospital complex and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the hospice and orphanage of Cabañas is one of Guadalajara’s most visited landmarks. Built in the 18th century, it is notable for its exterior, chapel, and courtyards, as well as the monumental frescoes by the artist José Clemente Orozco, one of the most famous Mexican artists of all time.
- Guadalajara Cathedral. Another notable building, Guadalajara Cathedral is one of the most impressive churches in all of Mexico. First built in the 16th century not long after the arrival of the Spanish, it features a mixture of Spanish Renaissance and Neo-Gothic styles. The ornate altars inside the church are as impressive as the facade. It is the most iconic landmark in Guadalajara.
Traffic and parking
Mexico has a program called Angeles Verdes (Green Angels) which provides trucks that patrol the tolled highways to assist drivers of broken down vehicles. The operators of these trucks can fix basic problems or tow your vehicle and will do it for free. You can call the Green Angels toll-free at 01-800-987-8224 or dial 078 in an emergency. Do be sure to keep your receipt from the tolls, as this program is funded through the tolls.
Mexico has an extensive system of toll roads due to a government program started in the 1980s to update the country’s road system. The Mexican toll road system is called Cuota. Toll booths are located along the highways at the end of sections of the road, therefore, on a long ride, you can pass through multiple toll booths. While credit cards used to be accepted, drivers can now only pay with either cash or an electronic tag placed on the car’s windshield. The electronic tags may be available from your rental car provider but usually comes with a fee. However, the fee is usually just a one-time fee for the tag, not a daily fee as in other places like many places in the United States. ATMs are few and far between along the highways, so be sure to keep plenty of cash to pay for the tolls. Keep in mind these tolls only accept Mexican pesos and no foreign money.
Compared to other countries, Mexico’s tolls can seem rather expensive. It is possible, however, to avoid most toll roads as Libre (or free) roads usually go alongside them, though they are much slower to travel on due to going through many villages along the way. This may make for more scenic travel on short trips but would certainly hinder progress on any long trips. Libre roads are often considered less safe than Couta roads, so opt for the paid roads if you can.
Ideas for day trips
- Chapala. Popular with locals, expats, and tourists, Chapala is one of the most visited destinations around Guadalajara. Located on the north shore of the lake of the same name, this cozy town is notable for its beaches, restaurants, and even an art gallery inside an old train station. Located some 50km (31 miles) south of Guadalajara, Chapala can be reached in about one hour.
- The Guachimontones. Like the rest of Mexico, the state of Jalisco is home to a number of pre-Columbian sites. Having already been abandoned for about 1,000 years before the Spanish arrived, Los Guachimontones nonetheless offers a fascinating insight into the lives of some of Mexico’s earliest cultures. The main attractions are the many circular pyramids, but ancient pieces of art are also on display. Located about 65km (40 miles) west of Guadalajara, the Guachimontones can be reached in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Tequila. Sometimes called the most famous small town in Mexico, Tequila is known as the birthplace of the national Mexican drink. A number of local distilleries offer tours that are fascinating to visit even if you are driving and cannot try the beverage. Should you like to taste some tequila, though, there are a number of hotels and guest houses in and around the town, so you can stay for the night. Located about 68km (42 miles) northwest of Guadalajara, Tequila can be reached in about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Tlaquepaque. Located only about 8km (5 miles) from downtown Guadalajara, most visitors will also check out the small town of Tlaquepaque while in town. It is known as an artistic town, with many cool art shops and lots of great street art. Tlaquepaque is one of the Mexico pueblos magicos, or magic towns.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Guadalajara is the Renault Kwid, followed by the Hyundai Creta and the Volkswagen Vento. The most popular rental car types are compact, mini, and intermediate.
Car Rental Prices in Guadalajara
- Station wagons - from $52 per day
- Large cars - from $18 per day
- Medium cars - from $16 per day
- Vans - from $103 per day
- Premium cars - from $47 per day
- Small cars - from $15 per day
- SUVs - from $49 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Guadalajara is the cheapest in May when renting a car is a whole 80% cheaper than the yearly average. However, May is also the hottest month of the year, and often rainy, so with lower prices, you may also experience less-than-ideal weather.
Top 20 Cities near Guadalajara
Colima Car Rentals from $64.10 per day141.3 km / 87.8 miles away
Aguascalientes Car Rentals from $22.58 per day166.1 km / 103.2 miles away
Leon Car Rentals from $17.15 per day197.0 km / 122.4 miles away
Manzanillo Car Rentals from $45.60 per day201.8 km / 125.4 miles away
Puerto Vallarta Car Rentals from $18.43 per day203.1 km / 126.2 miles away
Morelia Car Rentals from $48.87 per day249.6 km / 155.1 miles away
Zacatecas Car Rentals from $22.58 per day271.8 km / 168.9 miles away
San Luis Potosi Car Rentals from $22.58 per day312.1 km / 193.9 miles away
Queretaro Car Rentals from $17.77 per day324.9 km / 201.9 miles away
Ixtapa Car Rentals from $22.67 per day378.2 km / 235.0 miles away
Durango Car Rentals from $22.58 per day420.0 km / 261.0 miles away
Mazatlan Car Rentals from $22.58 per day423.6 km / 263.2 miles away
Mexico City Car Rentals from $20.69 per day458.9 km / 285.1 miles away
Puebla Car Rentals from $22.58 per day538.0 km / 334.3 miles away
Acapulco Car Rentals from $23.42 per day561.2 km / 348.7 miles away
Tampico Car Rentals from $22.58 per day596.5 km / 370.6 miles away
Culiacan Car Rentals from $22.58 per day636.3 km / 395.4 miles away
Monterrey Car Rentals from $17.37 per day669.3 km / 415.9 miles away
San Jose del Cabo Car Rentals from $20.44 per day722.8 km / 449.1 miles away
Veracruz Car Rentals from $23.31 per day760.4 km / 472.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Guadalajara
Guadalajara Airport Car Rentals from $15.33 per day
Colima Airport Car Rentals from $64.10 per day141.3 km / 87.8 miles away
Aguascalientes Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day166.1 km / 103.2 miles away
Manzanillo Airport Car Rentals from $45.60 per day201.8 km / 125.4 miles away
Puerto Vallarta Airport Car Rentals from $18.43 per day203.1 km / 126.2 miles away
Zacatecas International Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day271.8 km / 168.9 miles away
San Luis Potosi International Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day312.1 km / 193.9 miles away
Queretaro Airport Car Rentals from $17.77 per day324.9 km / 201.9 miles away
Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo International Airport Car Rentals from $22.67 per day378.2 km / 235.0 miles away
General Guadalupe Victoria International Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day420.0 km / 261.0 miles away
Felipe Angeles International Airport(NLU) Car Rentals from $24.93 per day456.9 km / 283.9 miles away
457.3 km / 284.2 miles away
Mexico City International Airport Car Rentals from $20.69 per day458.9 km / 285.1 miles away
Puebla International Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day538.0 km / 334.3 miles away
Acapulco Airport Car Rentals from $23.42 per day561.2 km / 348.7 miles away
Culiacan Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day636.3 km / 395.4 miles away
Monterrey Airport Car Rentals from $17.37 per day669.3 km / 415.9 miles away
Los Cabos Int. Airport Car Rentals from $20.44 per day722.8 km / 449.1 miles away
Veracruz Airport Car Rentals from $23.31 per day760.4 km / 472.5 miles away
La Paz Airport Car Rentals from $22.58 per day826.1 km / 513.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Guadalajara?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Guadalajara?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Guadalajara?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||10|
|Popular suppliers||MEX RENT A CAR, Economy rent a car, Dollar, Avis, Thrifty|
|Popular car categories||Large cars, SUVs, Small cars, Medium cars|
|Lowest price||$15 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|MEX RENT A CAR||Kia Forte||4||3||Large cars|
|Economy rent a car||Volkswagen Vento||4||2||Large cars|
|MEX RENT A CAR||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Economy rent a car||Renault Logan||4||1||Small cars|
|MEX RENT A CAR||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|MEX RENT A CAR||Nissan Kicks||5||2||SUVs|
|Economy rent a car||Renault Duster||5||3||SUVs|
|MEX RENT A CAR||Kia Sedona||4||4||Vans|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.