Car Hire in Toronto
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Toronto?
It's great having your own ride in Toronto. With a hired car, you can see all the distinct parts and neighborhoods of this sprawling metropolis, and to visit important landmarks outside the city.
One-way Car Hire in Toronto
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Toronto and drop off in another city include:
- From Toronto to Montreal - 77 offers from £ 55.86 per day
- From Toronto to Pittsburgh - 18 offers from £ 65.94 per day
- From Toronto to Chicago - 50 offers from £ 63.02 per day
- From Toronto to Ottawa - 32 offers from £ 50.98 per day
- From Toronto to Boston - 12 offers from £ 65.94 per day
Top ways to enter Toronto
- Toronto Pearson Airport. With 49.5 million travelers served in 2018, Pearson is the busiest airport in Canada and among the busiest in all of the Americas. The airport is a large hub for Air Canada and is also served by tens of other airlines. Located about 26 km (16 mi) northwest of the city center, the airport can be reached in 25 minutes.
- Toronto Billy Bishop Airport. The other, much smaller airport serving Toronto is served by three airlines. In addition to providing many domestic connections, the airport also hosts flights to and from Boston, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., in the United States. Located on one of the Toronto Islands, the airport is just 3.5 km (2.2 mi) south of the city center and can be reached in ten minutes.
- Ottawa Airport. Serving Canada’s capital city, Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Airport handled 5.1 million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights to and from many destinations in Canada, as well as Cuba, Jamaica, the United Kingdom, and other countries. Located 438 km (272 mi) northeast of Toronto, the airport can be reached in 4 hours and 20 minutes.
- Buffalo Niagara Airport. Located just on the other side of the border in the U.S. state of New York, Buffalo Niagara Airport handled five million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights to and from destinations all over U.S., as well as Cancun in Mexico. Located just 175 km (109 mi) southeast of Toronto, Buffalo Airport can be reached in about two hours. You’ll have to cross an international border, so make sure in advance your car hire provider permits it (alternatively, you can travel by public transportation and pick up a rental car after arriving in Toronto). Also, make sure you don’t need a visa to enter either the U.S. or Canada.
- By rail. If you’re arriving in Toronto by train, you can conveniently pick up your car at the Toronto Union Railway Station.
- Although Canada’s capital is Ottawa, Toronto is the most populous city not only in Ontario Province, but in all of the country. The city has a population of about 2.7 million, with 3.2 million more living in Toronto metropolitan area. Golden Horseshoe, an even larger, densely populated region in Southern Toronto that includes Toronto, is home to 9.2 million people or about every fourth inhabitant of Canada.
- Toronto has a humid continental climate with hot summers and cold winters. The average high temperature is 26.6 °C (79.9 °F) in July, the warmest month, and -0.7 °C (30.7 °F) in January, the coldest. September is the rainiest month while March is the driest. Toronto experiences, on average, 41 snowy days per year.
- With 47% of Toronto inhabitants born outside Canada, Toronto is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world. Toronto is home to some of the largest Chinese, Irish, Filipino, and Italian diasporas in the world, something that can be observed in many cultural centers, restaurants, and languages spoken in the city.
Top destinations and activities
- Royal Ontario Museum: The most visited museum in Canada, the Royal Ontario is dedicated to the subjects of art, natural history, and different cultures from around the planet. The museum has over 6 million items on display, many of them in interactive galleries that are especially fun for families. Visit the museum’s website to learn more about the exhibitions and admission.
- Art Gallery of Ontario: The largest gallery in Canada mostly focuses on works by well-known and contemporary Canadian artists, but it also houses paintings by classical European masters like Ruben.
- Black Creek Pioneer Village: An open-air area dedicated to life in the Toronto area in the 19th century, Black Creek is often considered one of the best heritage museums in North America. More than 40 buildings have been carefully restored to provide an insight into different occupations, as well as the cultural and social lives of these early inhabitants. Black Creek is in the suburb of North York with the trip from central Toronto taking about 40 minutes.
- CN Tower: The tallest in North America, CN Tower is a great place to start (or finish) your vacation in Toronto. Going to its top in a glass elevator is a stunning experience, and the view from up there makes the rest of the city look tiny.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90 km/h to 110 km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30 km/h to 50 km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offence and can lead to hefty fines, a driving ban, and even imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 112.
There are a number of toll roads in Canada.
Ontario Highway 407 is toll road for which you can only pay electronically. As you will be driving a hired car, the bill will be automatically sent to your car provider. The exact fee will depend on how long will you drive along this road. Some car providers do include an additional toll charge fee. Do get in touch with your car provider in advance to find out more. Visit the official Highway 407 website to find out more information about fees and payment methods.
Highway 412 is another toll road in Ontario. It is part of the same toll system as the Highway 407. The exact fee will depend on the time of the day and the day of the week of your travel, as well as the length of your travel along this road.
There are some other toll roads in Ontario. Do look them up in advance depending on your planned route.
In the rest of Canada, payment method and fees differ for different toll roads. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use a toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming ride.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Niagara. Not just the waterfalls, but a large peninsula about an hour’s drive south of Toronto, Niagara is one of the most popular destinations in Ontario. From cruises to the waterfalls to well-preserved historic buildings, wineries, and nature reserves, the region has plenty of attractions for every visitor.
- Stratford. This town in Perth County that's about two hours drive west of Toronto has a population of just over 30,000 inhabitants, but it is home to the famous Stratford Shakespeare Festival that lasts all the way from April to November. If you're a classic literature lover, time your travels accordingly.
- Ottawa. Canada's capital is about for to five hours drive away, so this one's probably a two-day trip, but this underrated city makes a great travel destination thanks to the combination of beautiful architecture and relaxed atmosphere.
- Linocln. One might not think of Canada as a producer of wine, but Lincoln, just outside of Toronto, sits at the heart of valleys with many wineries, most of which have tasting rooms.
Most popular cars
The most hired car type in Canada is an economy, but fullsize and intermediate are also often picked. The most popular cars are the Kia Rio, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Nissan Rogue.
- Montreal. Canada's second largest city is sometimes considered Toronto's rival, so why not travel there to make up your own mind? Competition aside, this bilingual metropolis is as unique a destination as Toronto in terms of history, arts, and atmosphere.
- Northern Ontario. The sparsely populated north of the province doesn't see as many tourists as the big cities in the south, but it's impressive nature areas will convince anyone that you don't need to go to Yukon to see Canada at its wildest.
- USA. Detroit and Michigan is just a couple of hours drive away, but with a hired car you can also easily reach other famous cities like Chicago, Boston, and New York. Note that you'll have to cross the national border to visit U.S., so do get in touch with your car provider in advance to find out if they permit it. Also, make sure your entry documents are in order.
Car Hire Prices in Toronto
- Large cars - starting at £ 153 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 110 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 323 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 203 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 117 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 240 per day
There are things you can do to get a good car hire deal in Toronto:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Toronto is the cheapest in October when hiring a car is about 33% cheaper than the yearly average and 53% cheaper than hiring a car in June.
Top 17 Cities near Toronto
Montreal starting at £ 90.77 per day494.2 km / 307.1 miles away
Mississauga starting at £ 92.22 per day16.3 km / 10.2 miles away
Ottawa starting at £ 19.73 per day356.4 km / 221.5 miles away
Hamilton starting at £ 84.23 per day67.5 km / 41.9 miles away
Quebec City starting at £ 115.41 per day719.4 km / 447.0 miles away
Brampton starting at £ 23.13 per day26.3 km / 16.4 miles away
78.7 km / 48.9 miles away
London starting at £ 69.82 per day164.5 km / 102.2 miles away
Windsor starting at £ 130.92 per day324.8 km / 201.8 miles away
Thunder Bay starting at £ 36.14 per day924.1 km / 574.2 miles away
Kingston starting at £ 22.09 per day236.0 km / 146.6 miles away
506.4 km / 314.7 miles away
419.0 km / 260.3 miles away
Sarnia starting at £ 39.17 per day243.3 km / 151.2 miles away
775.2 km / 481.7 miles away
Belleville starting at £ 70.65 per day175.3 km / 108.9 miles away
76.6 km / 47.6 miles away
Top 9 Destinations around Toronto
Toronto Airport starting at £ 53.18 per day15.2 km / 9.4 miles away
Toronto Scarborough starting at £ 43.66 per day16.5 km / 10.3 miles away
London Railway Station starting at £ 69.82 per day164.5 km / 102.2 miles away
Belleville Railway Station starting at £ 70.65 per day175.3 km / 108.9 miles away
Windsor International Airport starting at £ 130.92 per day324.8 km / 201.8 miles away
Ottawa Airport starting at £ 77.49 per day351.5 km / 218.4 miles away
Quebec City Airport starting at £ 115.41 per day719.4 km / 447.0 miles away
Sept-Îles Airport starting at £ 132.02 per day1235.1 km / 767.4 miles away
Deer Lake Regional Airport starting at £ 165.51 per day1791.0 km / 1112.9 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Toronto?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Toronto?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Toronto?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Mazda 2||4||1||Medium cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|York Car Rental||Toyota RAV4||5||3||SUVs|
|Swift Rent-A-Car||Hyundai Accent||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|York Car Rental||Hyundai Kona||4||2||Large cars|
|Hub Rent a Car||Toyota RAV4||4||3||SUVs|
|York Car Rental||Honda Civic||4||3||Medium cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.