Car Rental in Calgary
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Calgary?
Renting a car in Calgary is a good idea - not only you’ll be able to drive around this interesting city and visit its many neighborhoods and landmarks, you’ll also have the freedom to visit the great province of Alberta and its many nature areas.
One-Way Car Rentals in Calgary
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Calgary and drop off in another city include:
- From Calgary to Vancouver - 121 offers from C$ 87.09 per day
- From Calgary to Edmonton - 33 offers from C$ 83.72 per day
- From Calgary to Toronto - 47 offers from C$ 139.61 per day
- From Calgary to Jasper - 4 offers from C$ 107.05 per day
- From Calgary to Saskatoon - 13 offers from C$ 98.55 per day
Top ways to enter Calgary
- Calgary Airport: Also known as YYC Calgary Airport, it handled 17.3 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a hub for Air Canada and WestJet, and has flights by around 15 other airlines. Located 20 km (12.4 miles) northeast of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 25 minutes by car.
- Edmonton Airport: Serving the second city of Alberta, Edmonton Airport handled over eight million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights to and from all the largest Canadian cities and a lot of small settlements in the north of the country. It also provides connections with the United States, Mexico, Iceland, the Netherlands, and other countries. Located 270 km (168 mi) north of Calgary, Edmonton Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Calgary has a humid climate with warm summers and cold winters. The average high temperature is 23.2 °C (73.8 °F) in July, the warmest month, and -0.9 °C (30.4 °F) in December and January, the coldest. The precipitation is quite high during the summer months, but very low from December to February; however, Calgary experiences significant snowfall every winter.
- Calgary has often been mentioned as one of the cities with the highest quality of living in North America and the whole world. Factors like very high levels of income, high public safety, and availability of many services contribute to the high livability. Calgary is also the richest city in Canada by median household income.
- With a population of 1.23 million (plus an additional 150,000 living in the metropolitan area), Calgary is the largest city in Alberta and the fourth-largest in all of Canada. Calgary is also one of the fastest-growing large cities in North America, its population having increased by 13% from 2011 to 2016. Calgary is made up of five districts: Eau Claire, the Downtown Commercial Core, the Downtown West End, the Downtown East Village, and Chinatown; these are further divided into sub-districts.
Top destinations and activities
- Calgary Tower. Going to the top of one of the city’s most famous landmarks is a special experience. Not only you’ll see all of the city from above, on a clear day you can also spot the Rocky Mountains to the west. Besides the observation deck the tower also has a restaurant and a bar.
- Glenbow Museum. One of the largest museums in North America has more than 20 galleries and countless collections that focus both on the local history and such different topics as Canadian art, geology, First Nations history, and cultures from around the world.
- Inglewood Bird Sanctuary & Nature Center. A large nature reserve on the eastern outskirts of the city near the Bow River, Inglewood Wildlands is home to nearly 300 species of birds, including great gray owl, great blue heron, belted kingfisher, and osprey, as well as mammals, fishes, and butterflies.
- The Calgary Zoo. Located in the Bridgeland-Riverside neighborhood, the Calgary Zoo is one of the city’s most beloved attractions and also the most-visited zoo in Canada. Often named among the best zoos in the world, it is divided into several sections such as Destination Africa, Canadian Wilds, Creatures of the Night, and Penguin Plunge. On top of that, there’s also the Prehistoric Park with life-sized dinosaurs and a landscape that’s been created to look prehistoric.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90 km/h to 110 km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30 km/h to 50 km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offence and can lead to hefty fines, a driving ban, and even imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 112.
There are a number of toll roads in Canada. However, as of February 2019, there are no toll roads in Alberta.
In the rest of Canada, payment method and fees differ for different toll roads. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use a toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming ride.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Banff National Park. A UNESCO World Heritage Site and perhaps the most famous nature reserve in Canada, Banff is famous for its mountains, glaciers, and canyons, a great diversity of flora and fauna, and world-class skiing and snowboarding opportunities.
- Waterton Lakes National Park. Featuring such varied habitats as grassy prairies, alpine meadows, mountains, lakes, and wetlands, this national park is a true Canadian wilderness. It borders the Glacier National Park in the state of Montana, U.S., another great wild place to visit.
- Edmonton. Alberta’s capital and second largest, Edmonton is best known for its extractive industries, but the city also has vast and beautiful parks, as well as great museums, galleries, and science centers.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car type in Canada is an economy, but travelers also like intermediate and fullsize. Getting a fullsize car is a good idea if you plan to travel outside the city and into nature areas. The most popular rental cars are the Kia Rio, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Nissan Rogue.
- Jasper National Park. The size of a small country, Jasper is more remote than Banff and, therefore, feels even wilder. Characterized by mountain lakes, swift rivers, canyons, and the beautiful Athabasca Falls, the area is home to a variety of fauna including grizzly bears, great horned owls, bighorn sheep, and porcupines. Thanks to a lack of human settlement and artificial light in the area, Jasper has also been designated a dark sky preserve and is a great place to view the northern lights at certain times of the year. Located about 410 km (255 miles) northwest of Calgary, Jasper can be reached in about 4 hours and 40 minutes.
- British Columbia. Alberta’s neighbor to the west should be visited for fun Vancouver, the long Pacific coastline, and the great Okanagan wine region.
- Washington and Montana. The two U.S. states bordering Alberta are just a few hours drive away from Calgary and offer just as much in terms of regional history, hospitality, and natural beauty as their Canadian counterpart.
Car Rental Prices in Calgary
- Large cars - from $202 per day
- Medium cars - from $171 per day
- Vans - from $381 per day
- Premium cars - from $123 per day
- Small cars - from $308 per day
- SUVs - from $479 per day
Here's a list of the things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Calgary:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Calgary is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 21% cheaper than the yearly average and about 43% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Calgary
Vancouver Car Rentals from $118.78 per day681.5 km / 423.5 miles away
Edmonton Car Rentals from $126.94 per day254.4 km / 158.1 miles away
Abbotsford Car Rentals from $120.64 per day633.2 km / 393.5 miles away
Victoria Car Rentals from $183.98 per day728.1 km / 452.4 miles away
North Vancouver Car Rentals from $197.56 per day671.5 km / 417.2 miles away
Surrey Car Rentals from $300.37 per day661.1 km / 410.8 miles away
Kelowna Car Rentals from $240.85 per day394.7 km / 245.3 miles away
Saskatoon Car Rentals from $364.30 per day523.5 km / 325.3 miles away
Regina Car Rentals from $65.47 per day664.3 km / 412.8 miles away
Banff Car Rentals from $139.11 per day105.8 km / 65.7 miles away
Kamloops Car Rentals from $224.79 per day449.2 km / 279.1 miles away
Prince George Car Rentals from $266.66 per day663.5 km / 412.3 miles away
Courtenay Car Rentals from $208.87 per day781.0 km / 485.3 miles away
Nanaimo Car Rentals from $197.56 per day733.7 km / 455.9 miles away
Fort McMurray Car Rentals from $94.59 per day651.2 km / 404.6 miles away
Grande Prairie Car Rentals from $51.83 per day561.3 km / 348.8 miles away
Cranbrook Car Rentals from $37.03 per day200.4 km / 124.5 miles away
Chilliwack Car Rentals from $224.79 per day599.4 km / 372.4 miles away
725.8 km / 451.0 miles away
Port Hardy Car Rentals from $208.87 per day933.4 km / 580.0 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Calgary
Calgary Airport Car Rentals from $137.62 per day8.7 km / 5.4 miles away
Canadian Rockies International Airport Car Rentals from $37.03 per day200.4 km / 124.5 miles away
Edmonton Airport Car Rentals from $126.94 per day254.4 km / 158.1 miles away
Kelowna Airport Car Rentals from $240.85 per day394.7 km / 245.3 miles away
Kamloops Airport Car Rentals from $224.79 per day449.2 km / 279.1 miles away
Saskatoon Airport Car Rentals from $364.30 per day523.5 km / 325.3 miles away
Grande Prairie Airport Car Rentals from $51.83 per day561.3 km / 348.8 miles away
Chilliwack Airport Car Rentals from $224.79 per day599.4 km / 372.4 miles away
Abbotsford International Airport Car Rentals from $120.64 per day633.2 km / 393.5 miles away
Fort McMurray International Airport Car Rentals from $94.59 per day651.2 km / 404.6 miles away
Prince George Airport Car Rentals from $266.66 per day663.5 km / 412.3 miles away
Regina International Airport Car Rentals from $65.47 per day664.3 km / 412.8 miles away
Vancouver South Car Rentals from $324.99 per day674.9 km / 419.3 miles away
Vancouver Airport Car Rentals from $118.78 per day681.5 km / 423.5 miles away
Victoria International Airport Car Rentals from $117.07 per day721.6 km / 448.4 miles away
Victoria Burnside Car Rentals from $183.98 per day728.1 km / 452.4 miles away
Nanaimo Airport Car Rentals from $197.56 per day733.7 km / 455.9 miles away
Comox Valley Airport Car Rentals from $208.87 per day781.0 km / 485.3 miles away
Port Hardy Airport Car Rentals from $208.87 per day933.4 km / 580.0 miles away
Winnipeg Airport Car Rentals from $130.96 per day1194.5 km / 742.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Calgary?
What’s the usual rental length in Calgary?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Calgary?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Mazda 2||4||1||Medium cars|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Nissan Versa||4||2||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Dodge Grand Caravan||4||2||Vans|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Jeep Wrangler||4||2||SUVs|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Hyundai Elantra||4||2||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Dodge Durango||5||3||SUVs|
|Thrifty||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.