Car Rental in Burgas
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Burgas?
Burgas is a great place to explore. With a rental car, you’ll be able to see most of its historic landmarks, explore its long and beautiful beaches, as well as to travel to nearby impressive national parks. From Burgas, you can also explore the rest of the Bulgarian coast, travel inland to the mountains and the capital Sofia, or even visit a neighboring country.
One-Way Car Rentals in Burgas
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Burgas and drop off in another city include:
- From Burgas to Varna - 121 offers from € 14.10 per day
Top ways to enter Burgas
Burgas Airport: Also known as Bourgas Airport (and as Letishte Burgas in Bulgarian), it is the second-busiest airport in Bulgaria. Especially active during the summer months, it is served by more than 40 different airlines that offer flights to countless destinations in Europe and even some in the Middle East and East Asia. The airport is located 10km (6.2 miles) northeast of Burgas’ city center.
Varna Airport: Serving another prominent holiday destination on the Black Sea Coast, Varna Airport is the third-busiest airport in Bulgaria. In 2018, it served around 2.2 million travelers, and is one of the fastest-growing airports in Southeast Europe. Located about 135km (84 miles) north of Burgas, the distance between the two can be driven in two hours with large portions of the road going right along the coast.
Sofia Airport: The busiest in Bulgaria, Sofia Airport sees around 7 million travelers every year. Served by around 20 different airlines, the airport is a large hub for Bulgaria Air as well as low-cost airlines WizzAir and Ryanair. Sofia Airport is located about 380km (236 miles) west of Burgas.
Plovdiv Airport: A small and cozy airport that’s mainly active during the summer months, it is served by five different airlines and has flights to and from Israel, Russia, the United Kingdom, and Turkey. Serving Bulgaria’s second-largest city, Plovdiv Airport is located about 260km (160 miles) southwest of Burgas.
Useful city facts
- Enjoying a humid subtropical climate, Burgas has long, warm summers and cool winters. The average temperature is 22°C (72°F) in August, the warmest month, and 2°C (36°F) in January, the coldest month. April is the rainiest month and December the driest. Although Burgas is one of the warmest cities in Bulgaria, it still experiences at least a few snowy days every winter.
- Burgas is surrounded by many beautiful and protected areas, such as the Unsungeren Protected Area, the Mandra Lake Protected Area, and the Chengene Skele Protected Area. The large wetlands attract many migratory birds and Burgas has been recording record numbers of migrating Dalmatian Pelicans, Marsh Harriers, and Red-footed Falcons.
Top destinations and activities
- Archaeological Museum. Although nowadays Burgas is part of Bulgaria, its strategic location on the Black Sea has attracted many empires. Throughout centuries, the city was ruled by Ancient Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Ottomans, and others. The Archaeological Museum of Burgas honors this heritage with displays of many interesting artifacts and exhibitions.
- Burgas Beach. Let’s face it, Burgas is first and foremost a beach destination. And with a long, golden Black Sea shoreline in the center of the city, why wouldn’t it be? One of the nicest beach destinations in Eastern Europe, Burgas offers not only sunbathing and swimming, but also opportunities for doing water sports like surfing and kite-surfing. Another interesting beach destination to explore is the nearby St. Anastasia Island which is easily reached from Burgas by boat.
- Sea garden. Known as Morska gradina in Bulgaria, the Sea garden is a large and beautiful public park overlooking Burgas Bay. Lined with wide alleys and full of charming little cafeterias, this monument of landscape architecture is the perfect place for a day outdoors.
Traffic and parking tips
- Cars in Bulgaria drive on the right hand side of the road
- Outside the main population areas and areas of national importance, the road signs are often only written in Cyrillic. If you cannot read this alphabet, it’s a good idea to get a dictionary, perhaps in mobile format, to be able to read them.
- Speed cameras are in use.
- Drivers are only allowed to use mobile phones with hands-free systems.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines. Driving with a blood alcohol content of over 1.2% will lead to imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
For many motorways in Bulgaria you need to obtain a highway vignette. The price of the vignette depends on the term (1 day, weekend, weekly, monthly, etc.) and on the type of car. You can purchase vignettes online as well as at locations such as gas stations. Find out more on the official Bulgarian toll road website.
You also have to pay a fee for crossing certain bridges and for taking your car on a ferry to cross certain bodies of water. Find out more about the crossing points and the fees on the official European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Poda. One of the large wetlands surrounding Burgas, Poda is a protected area and a conservation center. With some hiking trails, it is a great spot for birdwatching with rare species like pygmy cormorants and red-breasted geese migrating through the area every year. Just 12km (7 miles) south of Burgas, the nature preserve can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Nesebar. One of the oldest cities in the region, Nesebar has been home to different civilizations and is the most famous for the remnants of Byzantine architecture, the standout being the Old Metropolitan Church that’s more than 1,500 years old. Its narrow streets and ancient buildings create a unique atmosphere and, with a permanent population of just 11,000, it’s one of the most relaxing destinations in Bulgaria. Just 36km (23 miles) south of Burgas, Nesebar can be reached by car in 35 minutes.
- Strandzha Mountains. A unique place that feels like traveling back in time, the villages of the Strandzha Mountains are famous for wooden buildings and the unique traditions of fire dancing and celebrating ancient pagan rituals. Away from human settlements, the mountains have many scenic hiking trails and plenty of wildlife. Located about 80km (49.7 miles) south of Burgas, the Strandzha Mountains can be reached in just over one hour.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Burgas is the Renault Clio. A lot of drivers also choose the Chevrolet Kalos and the Peugeot 301. The most popular rental car types in Burgas are economy, compact, and standard.
- Sofia. The capital of Bulgaria is the country’s most upbeat, dynamic place and an upcoming hub of innovation in the arts, culture, and technology. It also houses some of the most beautiful Orthodox churches in the world and is near the mountain of Vitosha, a winter sports paradise. From Burgas, Sofia can be reached by car in about three and a half hours.
- Plovdiv. Bulgaria’s second city is the best place to experience Bulgaria’s Hellenistic and Roman roots with a nearly intact Greek amphitheater and a Roman stadium. Other landmarks not to be missed include the Bachkovo Monastery and Asenovgrad Fortress, the St. Marina Church with its wooden tower, and the old Ottoman mosque. From Burgas, Plovdiv can be reached in about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Istanbul. The meeting place of two continents, Istanbul is one of the mightiest cities in both Europe and Asia.Its landmarks include the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Topkapi Palace, but the city’s narrow paths with street vendors, nargile (or shisha) bars, and hamams (or Turkish baths) are just as fascinating. Istanbul is just 335km (208 miles) southeast of Burgas and can be reached by car in four hours. You’ll have to cross the international border between Bulgaria and Turkey, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Another option is to drop one car off in Burgas and later pick up another one in Istanbul. Also, check to see if you require a visa as the entry requirements for Turkey are quite different from those for Bulgaria.
Car Rental Prices in Burgas
- Station wagons - from $22 per day
- Large cars - from $41 per day
- Medium cars - from $22 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $49 per day
- Premium cars - from $78 per day
- Small cars - from $18 per day
- SUVs - from $74 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips to get a good car rental deal in Burgas:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Burgas is the cheapest in March when renting a car is a whole 70% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit the Black Sea coast in early spring!
Top 15 Cities near Burgas
Sofia Car Rentals from $14.88 per day344.6 km / 214.1 miles away
Varna Car Rentals from $10.59 per day78.5 km / 48.8 miles away
Plovdiv Car Rentals from $9.35 per day226.0 km / 140.5 miles away
Golden Sands Car Rentals from $13.25 per day90.4 km / 56.2 miles away
Sliven Car Rentals from $21.93 per day98.8 km / 61.4 miles away
Nessebar Car Rentals from $11.58 per day20.5 km / 12.7 miles away
Ruse Car Rentals from $28.42 per day190.4 km / 118.3 miles away
Bansko Car Rentals from $25.49 per day341.8 km / 212.4 miles away
13.7 km / 8.5 miles away
155.4 km / 96.6 miles away
Razlog Car Rentals from $25.49 per day342.0 km / 212.5 miles away
Shumen Car Rentals from $20.41 per day91.6 km / 56.9 miles away
Turgovishte Car Rentals from $23.97 per day107.8 km / 67.0 miles away
Asenovgrad Car Rentals from $15.83 per day367.2 km / 228.2 miles away
Obzor Car Rentals from $15.92 per day40.6 km / 25.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Burgas
Bourgas Plaza Mall Car Rentals from $8.92 per day
Burgas Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $8.92 per day3.8 km / 2.4 miles away
Burgas Airport Car Rentals from $8.16 per day6.6 km / 4.1 miles away
Kraimorie Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $11.58 per day9.8 km / 6.1 miles away
Pomorie Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $10.69 per day15.8 km / 9.8 miles away
Chernomorets Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $11.58 per day17.8 km / 11.0 miles away
Aheloy Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $11.58 per day20.6 km / 12.8 miles away
Ravda Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $11.58 per day22.3 km / 13.8 miles away
Sozopol Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $11.58 per day23.4 km / 14.5 miles away
Aytos Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $14.81 per day25.7 km / 16.0 miles away
Nessebar Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $11.58 per day27.0 km / 16.8 miles away
Duni Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $12.48 per day27.0 km / 16.8 miles away
Sunny Beach Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $11.58 per day27.2 km / 16.9 miles away
Sveti Vlas Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $11.58 per day31.8 km / 19.8 miles away
Elenite Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $11.58 per day34.8 km / 21.6 miles away
Primorsko Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $14.25 per day38.2 km / 23.7 miles away
Kiten Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $14.25 per day41.7 km / 25.9 miles away
Lozenets Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $15.15 per day45.9 km / 28.5 miles away
Obzor Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $15.92 per day47.5 km / 29.5 miles away
Tsarevo Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $15.15 per day51.3 km / 31.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Burgas?
What’s the usual rental length in Burgas?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Burgas?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio V||5||2||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio Grandtour||5||2||Station wagons|
|SIXT||Skoda Fabia||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||VW T-Roc||5||3||SUVs|
|Top Rent A Car||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Opel Corsa 1.2 Aut.||5||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Kia Ceed||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.