Car Rental at Dulles International Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) is one of the three major airports that serve the capital of the United States, Washington, D.C. The other two are Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) and Ronald Reagan International Airport (DCA). BWI, located near Baltimore, Maryland, is about the same distance from Washington as Dulles. Reagan Airport, located just across the Potomac River from Washington, is the closest airport to the capital.
However, Reagan Airport only has flights from cities on the east coast and midwest. If flying from further away, either domestic or international, you will have to fly into Dulles or BWI.
Though Dulles is larger, Baltimore-Washington International Airport actually has more passengers mainly due to the popularity of Southwest Airlines which uses it as a focus city.
Top international routes
If you are planning to take this route, be aware that I-66 is a toll road (even though HOV’s with 2 or more people in the car don’t have to pay the toll, this doesn’t work for rental cars), but only during rush hours, so between 5:30 AM and 9:30 AM if heading into the city and from 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM if heading from the city towards the airport. This toll is cashless and requires an EZ-Pass. If you want to avoid the rental companies administrative fees for this, take I-495 from the Dulles Access Road to the George Washington Memorial Parkway, though be prepared for the traffic.
Most popular types of rental car
- Large cars - from $84 per day
- Medium cars - from $67 per day
- Vans - from $112 per day
- Premium cars - from $109 per day
- Small cars - from $66 per day
- SUVs - from $99 per day
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
IAD, being an international airport, has multiple currency exchange booths, both in the concourse as in the International Arrivals Building. As is usually the case, you are best off exchanging money before departing your home country or using ATMs to withdraw cash as your bank will invariably give you a better exchange rate than you will get at the exchange office in the airport. Of course, most businesses in the United States accept credit cards so you may not need much cash (thought the Dulles Greenway near the airport that goes away from Washington has toll booths that only accept cash).
Passengers will find many shops and restaurants both in the terminal building and in the concourses. The airport has an online directory of the options with a good map.
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- New York City (227 mi / 365 km). The Big Apple is one of the world’s most visited cities for a reason - it is home to more world-famous landmarks than it’s possible to include in a single list. The city is also a hub of arts, innovation, science, music, and cuisine - whatever you’ll be looking for, you’re likely to find it in NYC.
- Philadelphia (153 mi / 246 km). The largest city in Pennsylvania, Philly, as it is affectionately known among Americans, is a great travel destination. The city is home to many parks and museums, as well as attractions like the Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site and Fairmount Water Works.
- Charlotte (425 mi / 684 km). Located in the state of North Carolina, Charlotte has its fair share of attractions for a traveler to enjoy. These include the Carolinas Aviation Museum, Bojangles’ Coliseum, and the Children’s Theater of Charlotte. The city is also near the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Nashville (666 mi / 1,071 km). The country music capital of the world, Nashville is home to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the beautiful Musica sculpture, country bars and convert venues, and many centers and sites dedicated to famous musicians who hailed from or worked in the city. If you don’t care much about the country, the city likely still has something for you - it is home to the Lane Motor Museum, Adventure Science Center, and Belle Meade Plantation.
- Cincinnati (501 mi / 806 km). Located in the state of Ohio near the border with Kentucky, Cincinnati is an up-and-coming travel destination. Travelers enjoy visiting the Carew Tower & Observation Deck, Cincinnati Observatory Center, and John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge. Other attractions include the Holy Cross-Immaculata Catholic Church and American Classical Museum Hall of Fame.
- Pittsburgh (241 mi / 388 km). Located in the state of Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh is a city of museums - it has the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, the Andy Warhol Museum, the Toonseum cartoon museum, and the National Aviary. But there’s even more about this place, from large public parks to the impressive Cathedral of Learning.
Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- IATA: IAD
- ICAO: KIAD
- Name: Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
- Size: Large Airport
- Passengers (per year): 22,892,504
- Distance from city: 20 miles / 32.2 km W of town
- Working hours: 24 hours a day
- Phone: +1 703 572 2700
Top 7 Locations near Dulles International Airport IAD
Car Rental at Ronald Reagan National Airport from $70.50 per day36.8 km / 22.9 miles away
Car Rental at Charlottesville Airport from $89.01 per day126.0 km / 78.3 miles away
Car Rental at Richmond International Airport from $57.86 per day161.7 km / 100.5 miles away
Car Rental at Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport from $89.01 per day219.3 km / 136.3 miles away
Car Rental at Lynchburg Airport from $89.01 per day237.5 km / 147.5 miles away
Car Rental at Norfolk International Airport from $67.72 per day253.8 km / 157.7 miles away
Car Rental at Roanoke Airport from $85.16 per day286.1 km / 177.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices cheapest at Dulles International Airport?
What’s the most frequent rental length at Dulles International Airport?
Which is the busiest month for car rental at Dulles International Airport?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Thrifty||Mazda 3||5||3||Large cars|
|Dollar||Ford Focus||3||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Nissan Versa||4||1||Medium cars|
|Dollar||Volkswagen Jetta||2||2||Large cars|
|Dollar||Chevrolet Spark||2||1||Small cars|
|Dollar||Mazda 3||2||2||Large cars|