Car Rental at San Diego Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
Known for its excellent beaches, surfer culture, and many family attractions, San Diego is one of the most famous destinations of the Golden State. In addition to being a great destination in its own right, the city can serve as a hub for exploring Southern California. These are three of the most interesting destinations in and around San Diego. If you only have a weekend, then make sure to check this sample San Diego itinerary for ideas of what to do with your time.
- La Jolla. Located right on the oceanfront, about a 20-minute drive from downtown, ‘The Jewel’ is one of the most popular areas of San Diego for locals and visitors alike. The main draw of La Jolla is its atmosphere, but there are also famous landmarks that include the monumental Museum of Contemporary Art, Birch Aquarium, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and the unmistakable La Soledad cross that overlooks the neighborhood.
- The Gaslamp Quarter. Located right at the heart of the city, the Gaslamp Quarter (or the District, as it is known among locals) is another popular area of San Diego. Listed as a historic district, it was primarily settled in the 1860s when it was known as New Town. Nowadays, it is home to a large number of heritage buildings like the William Heath Davis House, Old City Hall, and Broker’s Building.
- Balboa Park. This immense park is home to beautiful green spaces, gardens, museums, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo. Spend some time outdoors in the sun, or check out the Air & Space Museum, the Fleet Science Center, or the Museum of Art.
- Temecula Valley. Located about an hour’s drive northeast, Temecula Valley is one of the greatest wine-growing areas in the United States — and consequently, one of the most popular day trips from San Diego. In addition to more than 30 wineries (that are fascinating to visit even if you are driving and cannot participate in tastings), the area is also home to a well-preserved old town and several interesting olive oil tours (this being another important industry of the area).
Top international routes
- San Jose del Cabo
The three major domestic carriers all also serve the airport with each carrying a little over 10% of the airport’s traffic each. United’s busiest routes are to and from San Francisco and Denver, its West Coast and Rocky Region hubs. American’s busiest destinations from the airport are to Phoenix, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Chicago-O’Hare. Delta’s busiest routes include Seattle, its West Coast hub.
Alaska Airlines is the other major airline serving the airport. It flies to many destinations on the West Coast, to the Hawaiian Islands, and to Cabo in Mexico.
Most popular types of rental car
- Convertibles - from $67 per day
- Large cars - from $46 per day
- Medium cars - from $46 per day
- Vans - from $67 per day
- Premium cars - from $53 per day
- Small cars - from $46 per day
- SUVs - from $48 per day
Car rental desks
Mex, Nu, and Ace are not located in the facility. All of them are located just east of the airport off of Pacific Highway. Each provides a shuttle for its customers.
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
For those returning cars to Nu, or Ace, then the same Mobil station is the best at which to fill up no matter which direction you are coming from.
If traveling to the rental car facility via I-5 from either direction, a Shell station at the corner of India and Vine Streets is very convenient. From the south take exit 18B and from the north, 18A. The rental car facility is just a block away from the station and Vine Street will lead you to Kettner Blvd. from which you can turn right to reach the facility.
Popular one-way rentals
- Los Angeles (125 mi / 201 km)
- San Francisco (525 mi / 845 km)
- Las Vegas (334 mi / 537 km)
- Phoenix (358 mi / 576 km)
- Seattle (1,256 mi / 2,021 km)
- Palm Springs (142 mi / 228 mi)
San Diego Airport (SAN)
- IATA: SAN
- ICAO: KSAN
- Name: San Diego Airport (SAN)
Top 20 Locations near San Diego Airport
Car Rental at San Diego Cross Border Xpress from $34.09 per day28.8 km / 17.9 miles away
Car Rental at John Wayne Airport from $45.35 per day122.3 km / 76.0 miles away
Car Rental at Palm Springs Airport from $44.66 per day137.4 km / 85.4 miles away
Car Rental at Long Beach Airport from $49.76 per day150.1 km / 93.3 miles away
Car Rental at Ontario Airport from $37.36 per day151.9 km / 94.4 miles away
175.3 km / 108.9 miles away
Car Rental at Los Angeles Airport from $40.55 per day175.7 km / 109.2 miles away
176.7 km / 109.8 miles away
Car Rental at Burbank Airport from $43.60 per day195.9 km / 121.7 miles away
Car Rental at North Hollywood Lankershim Blvd from $94.28 per day196.6 km / 122.2 miles away
Car Rental at Santa Barbara Airport from $48.23 per day309.5 km / 192.3 miles away
Car Rental at Visalia Downtown from $93.58 per day443.6 km / 275.6 miles away
Car Rental at Fresno Airport from $44.73 per day505.3 km / 314.0 miles away
Car Rental at Monterey Airport from $52.56 per day603.8 km / 375.2 miles away
Car Rental at San Jose Airport from $44.66 per day671.4 km / 417.2 miles away
Car Rental at Oakland Airport from $43.99 per day718.4 km / 446.4 miles away
Car Rental at San Francisco Airport from $48.43 per day718.9 km / 446.7 miles away
Car Rental in Downtown San Francisco Union Square from $52.56 per day734.8 km / 456.6 miles away
Car Rental at Sacramento International Airport from $45.17 per day772.6 km / 480.1 miles away
Car Rental at Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport from $54.47 per day818.5 km / 508.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at San Diego Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at San Diego Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at San Diego Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Dollar, Thrifty, Payless, SIXT, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Large cars, Medium cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$46 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Dollar||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Ford Focus||3||2||Medium cars|
|Payless||Kia Soul||4||2||Medium cars|
|Dollar||Chevrolet Spark||4||2||Small cars|
|Payless||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|Thrifty||Mazda 3||5||3||Large cars|
|SIXT||Nissan Sentra||4||2||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.