Car Hire in Gran Canaria
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Gran Canaria?
The island of Gran Canaria is a great place to travel around by car. The distances are small and the road network is in good shape, but at the same time there’s a lot of natural and cultural diversity that’s best discovered if you can go outside the main tourist zones and travel at your own pace.
Top ways to enter Gran Canaria
- Gran Canaria Airport: The main airport of the island is located about 20 km (12 mi) south of Las Palmas city center and also provides easy access to other parts Gran Canaria. Served by more than 40 airlines, it offers flights not only to most European countries, but also to North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- By sea: It is also possible to take a ferry from one of the nearby islands or even from Cadiz or Huelva on the mainland Spain. You can then get a car in one of the many car hire locations on the island.
Useful city facts
- The largest city and capital of Gran Canaria is Las Palmas. Located in the northeastern corner of the island, it has a population of almost 400,000.
- Gran Canaria has warm weather throughout the year and the precipitation is low, albeit unevenly distributed across the island. Some inland parts can be significantly colder than the coastal areas during the winter months.
- The original population of Canary Islands were Guanches, people related to North African Berbers. Over the course of centuries Guanches have been absorbed in the larger Spanish-speaking populations, but there are still vague traces of their culture in terms of architecture, artefacts, and some customs to be found on the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches. The main attraction of Gran Canaria is its Atlantic Sea Coast. The southern part of the island attracts most of the visitors, but Las Canteras beach near Las Palmas is also popular among both the tourists and the locals.
- Catedral de Santa Ana. Not only a beautiful building, Las Palmas’ main cathedral also embodies much of the island’s varied history.
- Puerto Rico. Located in the southwest of the island, this beach town is a paradise for water sports lovers.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Palmitos Park. Located near the cozy town of Maspalomas, this nature area is home to varied wildlife such as parrots, birds of prey, and dolphins.
- Teror. Despite its uninviting name, Teror in the north of the island is a cozy little place where you can interact with hospitable locals, try fruits and vegetables grown by village farmers, and relax in the mountains.
- Western Gran Canaria. Rugged and more of a challenge to reach, the western part of the island, it is nonetheless a rewarding destination thanks to its impressive nature and wild sea coast.
Most popular hire types and cars
The most hired car in the Canary Islands is the Kia Picanto. Travelers also choose the VW Polo and the Renault Clio a lot. The most popular car types in the Canary Islands are economy, mini, and compact.
- Inland Gran Canaria. Much of the inland part of the island is a UNESCO biosphere area thanks to its lush valleys, steep pine-covered gorges, and mountains that reveal the island’s volcanic origin.
- Other Canary Islands. Similar in culture and nature yet each distinctly unique, the rest of the Canary Islands like Tenerife, Lanzarote, and Fuerteventura all make fascinating destinations to explore.
- Mainland Spain. Home of varied history, great culture, and delicious cuisine, Spain is one of the most popular tourism destinations in the world for a good reason.
Car Hire Prices in Gran Canaria
- Convertibles - starting at £ 43 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 28 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 25 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 21 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 40 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 50 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are ways to be smart about hiring a car in Gran Canaria:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Gran Canaria is the cheapest in June when hiring a car is about 63% cheaper than the yearly average and about 75% cheaper than hiring a car in August.
Top 7 Cities near Gran Canaria
Tenerife starting at £ 11.14 per day106.6 km / 66.2 miles away
209.9 km / 130.5 miles away
Lanzarote starting at £ 17.51 per day250.9 km / 155.9 miles away
La Palma starting at £ 7.79 per day220.1 km / 136.8 miles away
140.7 km / 87.4 miles away
Playa del Ingles starting at £ 18.32 per day14.8 km / 9.2 miles away
El Hierro starting at £ 18.32 per day213.6 km / 132.7 miles away
Top 20 Destinations around Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria Airport starting at £ 4.72 per day35.7 km / 22.2 miles away
Tenerife Airport South starting at £ 5.79 per day88.8 km / 55.2 miles away
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel starting at £ 11.14 per day91.4 km / 56.8 miles away
Tenerife Muelle Ribera starting at £ 25.67 per day91.6 km / 56.9 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza starting at £ 11.66 per day91.8 km / 57.1 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel starting at £ 12.25 per day91.9 km / 57.1 miles away
Tenerife Airport North starting at £ 6.28 per day98.5 km / 61.2 miles away
Tenerife Los Cristianos Port starting at £ 25.67 per day102.8 km / 63.8 miles away
Los Cristianos Gara Suites starting at £ 11.14 per day103.5 km / 64.3 miles away
Los Cristianos Hotel Columbus starting at £ 11.14 per day103.9 km / 64.6 miles away
Los Cristianos H10 Conquistador starting at £ 11.14 per day104.5 km / 64.9 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Troya Hotel starting at £ 11.14 per day104.5 km / 64.9 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Jardines de Nivaria starting at £ 11.14 per day105.7 km / 65.7 miles away
Tenerife GF Gran Costa Adaje starting at £ 11.14 per day105.8 km / 65.8 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Victoria starting at £ 11.14 per day106.0 km / 65.8 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz starting at £ 10.60 per day106.9 km / 66.4 miles away
Tenerife H10 Costa Adeje Palace starting at £ 12.25 per day107.2 km / 66.6 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Apartments Turquesa Playa starting at £ 10.60 per day107.6 km / 66.9 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Hotel Bahia Principe starting at £ 12.25 per day110.1 km / 68.4 miles away
Playa Paraiso H10 Atlantic Sunset Hotel starting at £ 12.25 per day110.3 km / 68.6 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Gran Canaria?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Gran Canaria?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Gran Canaria?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Orlando||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Orlando||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Orlando||Renault Clio||3||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|