Car Hire in Gran Canaria
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Gran Canaria?
The island of Gran Canaria is a great place to travel around by car. The distances are small and the road network is in good shape, but at the same time there’s a lot of natural and cultural diversity that’s best discovered if you can go outside the main tourist zones and travel at your own pace.
Top ways to enter Gran Canaria
- Gran Canaria Airport: The main airport of the island is located about 20 km (12 mi) south of Las Palmas city center and also provides easy access to other parts Gran Canaria. Served by more than 40 airlines, it offers flights not only to most European countries, but also to North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- By sea: There are five ports in Gran Canaria, connecting the island to a number of other Canary islands, as well as locations on the Spanish mainland like Cadiz or Huelva. Most ferry companies permit taking a vehicle on deck (you need to buy a separate ticket for it), but you should ask your car hire company in advance if they are okay with it. Many car hire companies don’t permit taking the car on a ferry, even if you plan to later return to Gran Canaria. Therefore, another option is to drop off a car in Gran Canaria, travel without it, and then pick up a new car once you’ve reached your next destination. Ferry tickets are best purchased in advance, especially if you plan to travel during the winter and early spring months when the service is considerably less frequent.
- The largest city and capital of Gran Canaria is Las Palmas. Located in the northeastern corner of the island, it has a population of almost 400,000.
- Gran Canaria has warm weather throughout the year and the precipitation is low, albeit unevenly distributed across the island. Some inland parts can be significantly colder than the coastal areas during the winter months.
- The original population of Canary Islands were Guanches, people related to North African Berbers. Over the course of centuries Guanches have been absorbed in the larger Spanish-speaking populations, but there are still vague traces of their culture in terms of architecture, artefacts, and some customs to be found on the island.
Top destinations and activities
- Las Palmas. The largest city in the Canaries, Las Palmas has plenty for a curious traveller to explore. Located on the northeastern coast of the island, the city is home to the emblematic Santa Ana Cathedral, as well as landmarks like the Alfredo Kraus Auditorium and Elder Museum of Science and Technology.
- Beaches. There’s plenty of fascinating history and culture to explore in Gran Canaria, but the main reason to visit the island is nonetheless its stunning coastline. The relaxed southern part of the island attracts most of the sun and sea lovers, but there’s also the lovely Las Canteras Beach in Las Palmas, as well as the nearby beaches of El Confital (20-minute drive to the north) and Dos Roques (30 minutes to the east).
- Interior. Often overlooked by foreign visitors who tend to stick to the coast, the interior of Gran Canaria is a fascinating place to explore if you give it a chance. Characterised by stunning gorges, volcanic landscapes, and pine forests, the area is a prime walking destination (much of it a part of a UNESCO biosphere reserve) while the highland villages have a markedly different atmosphere than the island’s beach resorts.
Traffic and parking
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Palmitos Park. Located near the cozy town of Maspalomas, this nature area is home to varied wildlife such as parrots, birds of prey, and dolphins.
- Teror. Despite its uninviting name, Teror in the north of the island is a cozy little place where you can interact with hospitable locals, try fruits and vegetables grown by village farmers, and relax in the mountains.
- Western Gran Canaria. Rugged and more of a challenge to reach, the western part of the island, it is nonetheless a rewarding destination thanks to its impressive nature and wild sea coast.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in the Canary Islands is the Kia Picanto. Travelers also choose the VW Polo and the Renault Clio a lot. The most popular car types in the Canary Islands are economy, mini, and compact.
- Inland Gran Canaria. Much of the inland part of the island is a UNESCO biosphere area thanks to its lush valleys, steep pine-covered gorges, and mountains that reveal the island’s volcanic origin.
- Other Canary Islands. Similar in culture and nature yet each distinctly unique, the rest of the Canary Islands like Tenerife, Lanzarote, and Fuerteventura all make fascinating destinations to explore.
- Mainland Spain. Home of varied history, great culture, and delicious cuisine, Spain is one of the most popular tourism destinations in the world for a good reason.
Car Hire Prices in Gran Canaria
- Convertibles - starting at £ 104 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 31 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 25 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 112 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 21 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 49 per day
There are ways to be smart about hiring a car in Gran Canaria:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Gran Canaria is the cheapest in June when hiring a car is about 63% cheaper than the yearly average and about 75% cheaper than hiring a car in August.
Top 5 Cities near Gran Canaria
Tenerife starting at £ 25.34 per day114.8 km / 71.3 miles away
Lanzarote starting at £ 23.84 per day242.0 km / 150.3 miles away
Fuerteventura starting at £ 23.84 per day142.3 km / 88.4 miles away
La Palma starting at £ 23.08 per day232.7 km / 144.6 miles away
La Gomera starting at £ 23.84 per day153.0 km / 95.1 miles away
Top 19 Destinations around Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria Meloneras starting at £ 18.67 per day
Gran Canaria Bahia Feliz starting at £ 11.90 per day9.5 km / 5.9 miles away
Gran Canaria Airport starting at £ 8.68 per day29.8 km / 18.5 miles away
Tenerife Airport South starting at £ 10.08 per day101.3 km / 63.0 miles away
Tenerife Muelle Ribera starting at £ 23.84 per day102.7 km / 63.8 miles away
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel starting at £ 27.68 per day103.9 km / 64.5 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza starting at £ 26.61 per day104.3 km / 64.8 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel starting at £ 27.68 per day104.4 km / 64.9 miles away
Tenerife Los Cristianos Port starting at £ 23.84 per day115.2 km / 71.6 miles away
Los Cristianos Gara Suites starting at £ 26.39 per day116.0 km / 72.1 miles away
Los Cristianos Hotel Columbus starting at £ 43.20 per day116.4 km / 72.3 miles away
Tenerife Hotel La Siesta starting at £ 26.39 per day116.8 km / 72.6 miles away
Los Cristianos H10 Conquistador starting at £ 26.39 per day116.9 km / 72.7 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Troya Hotel starting at £ 26.39 per day117.0 km / 72.7 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Isabel Family Hotel starting at £ 26.39 per day118.0 km / 73.3 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Fanabe starting at £ 26.39 per day118.1 km / 73.4 miles away
Tenerife Adeje Jardines de Nivaria starting at £ 11.34 per day118.2 km / 73.4 miles away
Tenerife GF Gran Costa Adaje starting at £ 26.39 per day118.4 km / 73.6 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Victoria starting at £ 26.39 per day118.5 km / 73.6 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Gran Canaria?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Gran Canaria?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Gran Canaria?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|TopCar||Citroen C3||5||3||Small cars|
|TopCar||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Orlando||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|TopCar||Citroen C3 Aircross||5||3||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|TopCar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|TopCar||Renault Captur||5||2||Medium cars|
|GoByCar||Toyota Aygo||3||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.