Car Hire in Fuerteventura
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Fuerteventura?
The second-largest of the Canaries, Fuerteventura is a unique travel destination. Often visited on the same trip as its sister, Lanzarote, the two islands are a unique region of the Canary Islands in terms of both culture and nature. On top of that, Fuerteventura is also a beloved water sports destination.
One-way Car Hire in Fuerteventura
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Fuerteventura and drop off in another city include:
- From Fuerteventura to Lanzarote - 28 offers from £ 16.85 per day
- From Fuerteventura to Tenerife - 15 offers from £ 26.76 per day
Top ways to enter Fuerteventura
- Fuerteventura Airport: The international airport of the island is located just southwest of Puerto del Rosario, Fuerteventura’s main settlement. The airport is served by more than 30 companies and provides flights to and from destinations on mainland Spain and all over Europe.
- By ferry: Fuerteventura can also be reached by ferry from the other Canary islands. It’s especially popular to visit nearby Lanzarote on the same trip. Most ferry companies permit taking a vehicle onboard (you need to buy a separate ticket for it), but you should ask your car hire company in advance if they are okay with it. Many car hire companies don’t permit taking a car on a ferry even if you plan to later return to Fuerteventura. If you wish to visit more than one island during your trip (especially if you plan to travel to islands farther way, like Tenerife of Gran Canaria), a better idea can be to drop off one car in Fuerteventura, travel without a car, and hire a new one after arriving at your next destination. Ferry service is more active during the summer months, but this is also the time when tickets sell out fast, so it’s a good idea to book in advance.
Top destinations and activities
- Mother Church of Our Lady of Rosary. Located in Puerto Rosario, the main town of Fuerteventura, this is arguably the most beautiful religious building on the island. Standing in the place of any earlier church, it was built in the 1930s and is known for its impressive altarpiece.
- El Cotillo. Located on the northwestern coast of the island, El Cotillo is one of the most scenic places on Fuerteventura and has become a popular tourist destination. In addition to the relaxed atmosphere of a former fishing village and an attractive coastline, El Cotillo is also home to a fortress of the same name.
- Corralejo. Located in the northern part of the island, the beaches of Corralejo get a serious year-round breeze and are therefore very popular with kitesurfers. There are also snorkelling and scuba diving tours offered by local boat companies. If you prefer to stay outside of the water, Corralejo is bordered by the desert-like Sand Dune National Park.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limits are 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance must be inside the vehicle at all times.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling in the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
There are no toll roads on Kefalonia, but there are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made in cash at a toll gate, by credit card, or with coins at an automatic machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder in a car might be used to pay for using the road. Some rental cars might be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not others. Plan your route in advance and ask your car rental supplier about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Find out more about toll roads in Greece on the European toll road website.
Ideas for day trips
- Cofete. Taking up the far southern part of the island, the Cofete peninsula is a former military area. While it has been open to civilians for decades, it retains something of its remote character. In addition to rugged mountains and wild beaches, the region is also home to Casa Winter, an eccentric villa built by a reclusive German engineer. Now under the care of a local family, the villa can be visited for a small donation.
- Inland. Although relatively unexplored by foreign visitors, the inland part of Fuerteventura is accessible via a surprisingly well-connected road network. So if you’ve hired a car, it’s very much worth it to get off the beaten track. Expect a very different atmosphere than the coast — villages populated almost exclusively by locals, as well as haunting landscapes, the red hue and aridness of which has led them being compared to Mars.
- Isla de los Lobos. Located just off the northern coast of Fuerteventura and having a permanent population of 4, Lobos Island is a wonderfully remote destination. There are glass-bottom boats from Corralejo, and while you can’t bring a car with you, it’s not too much of an issue as Lobos is small enough to get around on foot (there are a number of lovely hikes to be had on the island). The island was named after Mediterranean monk seals as they used to have a colony on the island and were called ‘sea wolves’ by the locals.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Fuerteventura is Hyundai i10, followed by the Renault Clio and the Renault Megan. The most popular car hire types are mini, economy, and compact.
Car Hire Prices in Fuerteventura
- Convertibles - starting at £ 38 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 35 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 22 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 19 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 34 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 14 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 19 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare the rates of different car suppliers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, and somewhat surprisingly, the cheapest month to hire a car in Fuerteventura is May when prices for an economy are 57% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 5 Cities near Fuerteventura
Lanzarote Car Hire starting at £ 14.57 per day60.3 km / 37.5 miles away
Gran Canaria Car Hire starting at £ 9.02 per day160.4 km / 99.7 miles away
Tenerife Car Hire starting at £ 14.49 per day269.2 km / 167.3 miles away
La Gomera Car Hire starting at £ 20.35 per day320.2 km / 199.0 miles away
La Palma Car Hire starting at £ 17.73 per day380.4 km / 236.4 miles away
Top 20 Destinations around Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura Airport Car Hire starting at £ 13.99 per day
32.7 km / 20.3 miles away
Fuerteventura Tarajalejo Car Hire starting at £ 67.49 per day37.9 km / 23.5 miles away
Playa Blanca Port Car Hire starting at £ 22.51 per day45.2 km / 28.1 miles away
Lanzarote Airport Car Hire starting at £ 14.57 per day60.3 km / 37.5 miles away
65.4 km / 40.6 miles away
Gran Canaria Airport Car Hire starting at £ 9.02 per day160.4 km / 99.7 miles away
Gran Canaria Meloneras Car Hire starting at £ 31.16 per day187.9 km / 116.8 miles away
Puerto de la Cruz Car Hire starting at £ 21.99 per day262.2 km / 162.9 miles away
El Medano City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 34.70 per day265.1 km / 164.7 miles away
Tenerife Airport South Car Hire starting at £ 14.49 per day269.2 km / 167.3 miles away
Golf de Sur Fantasia Bahia Principe Hotel Car Hire starting at £ 39.90 per day272.8 km / 169.5 miles away
San Miguel de Abona Hotel Golf Plaza Car Hire starting at £ 39.90 per day273.2 km / 169.8 miles away
Amarilla Golf Aguamarina Golf Hotel Car Hire starting at £ 34.70 per day273.5 km / 169.9 miles away
Tenerife GF Gran Costa Adaje Car Hire starting at £ 33.06 per day284.2 km / 176.6 miles away
Tenerife Adeje GF Victoria Car Hire starting at £ 38.01 per day284.4 km / 176.7 miles away
Tenerife Hotel La Siesta Car Hire starting at £ 35.68 per day284.4 km / 176.7 miles away
Los Cristianos H10 Conquistador Car Hire starting at £ 33.06 per day284.6 km / 176.8 miles away
Tenerife H10 Costa Adeje Palace Car Hire starting at £ 39.90 per day285.4 km / 177.3 miles away
La Palma Airport Car Hire starting at £ 17.94 per day380.4 km / 236.4 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Fuerteventura the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Fuerteventura?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Fuerteventura?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||8|
|Popular suppliers||Goldcar, TopCar, Budget, GoByCar, Turisprime|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars|
|Lowest price||£ 14 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Ace Rent a car|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Goldcar||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|TopCar||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|GoByCar||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
|TopCar||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.