Car Rental in Madeira
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Madeira?
Madeira is a great destination to discover by car. From capital Funchal to little villages, rocky beaches, and impressive mountains, having your own wheels is the best way to see it in its full diversity.
Top ways to enter Madeira
- Madeira Airport: Named after the living Portuguese football legend Cristiano Ronaldo (whose statue greets the arriving visitors), Madeira Airport is served by more than 40 airlines that connect the island to destinations in mainland Europe.
- Porto Santo Airport: The second and much smaller airport of Madeira, serving the island of the same name, has regular service to Madeira Island and Lisbon, as well as summer flights to and from Germany, Belgium, and the United Kingdom.
- An island archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, Madeira is an autonomous region of Portugal. Its population is nearly 300,000 people.
- The largest city and capital is Funchal.
- Madeira enjoys much warmer climate than continental Portugal. The summers are hot and very dry. Even in winter, the temperature rarely drops below 15 (60) °C (°F). Despite that, it’s not rare for snowfall to occur in Madeira mountains.
Top destinations and activities
- Funchal. Madeira’s capital and by far the largest city has different attractions like the Madeira Botanical Garden, the historic Madeira Market where you can still buy produce from local farmers, and the beautiful. São Lourenço Palace
- Porto da Cruz. The small and cozy village on the Atlantic Coast that lives in the shadow of Penha da Águia (the Eagle Rock) boasts regional museums, a rum factory, mountains for hiking, and impressive surfing waves.
- Calheta. Calheta is most famous for its sugarcane museum and visiting here can be easily combined with seeing the two neighboring fishing villages, Paul do Mar and Jardim to Mar.
Traffic and parking
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
There are no toll roads in Madeira, but there are quite a few in mainland Portugal. See the official website for maps and prices.
Ideas for day trips
- Ponta de São Lourenço. This nature reserve is where unique plants like the Ice Plant and the Cardoon have found their home. Those who dare to climb the steep mountain paths and the volcanic rocks will be rewarded with impressive ocean views.
- Ribeiro Frio Natural Park. Another nature reserve, Ribeiro Frio can be best explored by walking its levadas or nature paths. The only human activity here is the trout farm that you can visit.
- Porto Santo. The ferry to Porto Santo Island takes about two hours from Madeira Island, but is well worth the trip. The cozy Vila Baleira is the only human settlement on the island, so there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the island’s wild beaches and private atmosphere.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental cars in Madeira are the VW Polo, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- The Azores. Even further out in the Atlantic Ocean than Madeira and lying nearly halfway between Europe and North America, the nine Azores islands offer even more dramatic mountains, volcanoes, and beaches. It is not possible to take a rental car on a trip between the islands, but there is a direct flight from Funchal to Ponta Delgada, the main city of the largest of the Azores Islands, Sao Miguel, and you can pick up another rental car there.
- Lisbon. Easily reached by a number of flights every day, Portugal’s capital is one of the most fun and colorful cities in Europe. Simultaneously lively and relaxed, it is known for its rich history and cultural life, as well as landmarks such as São Jorge Castle, the ruins of the medieval Carmo Church and Convent which retain memories of the earthquake of 1755, and the architecture in the nearby town of Sintra. Located in the center of Portugal, Lisbon can also be a hub from which to explore the rest of the mainland.
- Porto. Another great Portuguese city just a relatively short flight away from Funchal, Porto is notable for its unique architecture, cuisine, and atmosphere. The city is also characterized by a great learning spirit exemplified by places like the Museum of Sacred Art and Archaeology, the House of Music, and the Port Wine Museum. After exploring the city, why not travel even further and see the rest of Northern Portugal that boasts attractions like Peneda-Gerês National Park?
Car Rental Prices in Madeira
- Station wagons - from $67 per day
- Large cars - from $81 per day
- Medium cars - from $58 per day
- Vans - from $140 per day
- Premium cars - from $154 per day
- Small cars - from $41 per day
- SUVs - from $66 per day
These are some of the things you can try to do to get a good rental car deal in Madeira:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Madeira is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Madeira
Lisbon Car Rentals from $13.99 per day951.2 km / 591.0 miles away
Faro Car Rentals from $11.23 per day940.0 km / 584.1 miles away
Funchal Car Rentals from $20.29 per day16.4 km / 10.2 miles away
Portimao Car Rentals from $9.35 per day898.3 km / 558.2 miles away
Alvor Car Rentals from $7.68 per day894.5 km / 555.8 miles away
Albufeira Car Rentals from $7.42 per day918.5 km / 570.7 miles away
Quarteira Car Rentals from $11.60 per day928.0 km / 576.6 miles away
Armacao de Pera Car Rentals from $7.68 per day907.6 km / 564.0 miles away
Lagos Car Rentals from $7.68 per day885.7 km / 550.4 miles away
Vilamoura Car Rentals from $7.68 per day927.2 km / 576.2 miles away
55.7 km / 34.6 miles away
Cascais Car Rentals from $8.34 per day940.7 km / 584.5 miles away
Almada Car Rentals from $8.44 per day954.7 km / 593.2 miles away
Sintra Car Rentals from $11.19 per day950.1 km / 590.4 miles away
Setubal Car Rentals from $8.44 per day963.3 km / 598.5 miles away
Monte Gordo Car Rentals from $7.68 per day984.9 km / 612.0 miles away
Estoril Car Rentals from $70.54 per day943.5 km / 586.2 miles away
966.2 km / 600.4 miles away
Parede Car Rentals from $8.44 per day944.3 km / 586.8 miles away
Vila Franca do Campo Car Rentals from $16.86 per day963.9 km / 599.0 miles away
Top 13 Locations near Madeira
Madeira Airport (Funchal) Car Rentals from $20.08 per day
Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) Car Rentals from $54.88 per day57.6 km / 35.8 miles away
Faro Airport Car Rentals from $3.41 per day935.6 km / 581.3 miles away
Apolonia Train Station Car Rentals from $57.98 per day959.3 km / 596.1 miles away
Lisbon Martim Moniz Car Rentals from $114.06 per day960.0 km / 596.5 miles away
Lisbon Sao Sebastiao Car Rentals from $8.34 per day960.4 km / 596.7 miles away
Lisbon Alameda Car Rentals from $60.95 per day962.0 km / 597.7 miles away
Lisbon Airport Car Rentals from $2.49 per day964.8 km / 599.5 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Rentals from $9.48 per day966.0 km / 600.3 miles away
Oriente Train Station Car Rentals from $20.29 per day966.5 km / 600.6 miles away
Porto Boavista Car Rentals from $18.14 per day1185.7 km / 736.8 miles away
Porto Campanha Railway Station Car Rentals from $57.98 per day1187.5 km / 737.9 miles away
Porto Airport Car Rentals from $2.62 per day1190.8 km / 739.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Madeira?
What’s the usual rental length in Madeira?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Madeira?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Funchal Drive rent a Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Madeira Rent||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|Madeira Rent||Renault Captur||5||2||Medium cars|
|Madeira Rent||Peugeot 108||2||1||Small cars|
|Magic Islands Rent A Car||Volkswagen T-Cross||5||3||SUVs|
|Magic Islands Rent A Car||Volkswagen Polo||5||3||Small cars|
|Magic Islands Rent A Car||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Funchal Drive rent a Car||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Rentx Car Rental||Opel Corsa Hatchback||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.