Car Rental in Rotterdam
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rotterdam?
The second city of the Netherlands, Rotterdam is a unique place. A large industrial hotspot, it has fewer historic attractions than other cities in the region - it was also heavily bombed during the second world war - but, thanks to a mix of daring contemporary architecture and some older surviving landmarks, the city is a unique breed of its own. The city is right next door to The Hague, a more traditionally scenic destination, and impressive traditional Dutch windmills are also just a stone’s throw away.
One-Way Car Rentals in Rotterdam
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Rotterdam and drop off in another city include:
- From Rotterdam to Dusseldorf - 28 offers from US$ 91.61 per day
- From Rotterdam to Amsterdam - 44 offers from US$ 42.66 per day
- From Rotterdam to Paris - 36 offers from US$ 95.57 per day
Top ways to enter Rotterdam
- Rotterdam Airport: Also known as Rotterdam The Hague Airport, it handled 1.9 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for Transavia and also has flights by nine other airlines. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it hosts many flights to and from destinations in Southern Europe, Turkey, and Morocco. Located just 7km (4 miles) from Rotterdam city center, the airport can be reached in 15 minutes or less.
- Amsterdam Airport: Amsterdam Schiphol is not only the largest in the Netherlands but also the third-busiest airport in Europe (behind only Heathrow in London and Charles de Gaulle in Paris). A hub for KLM, Delta Air Lines, and other carriers, the airport handled 71 million travelers in 2018. Amsterdam Airport is also one of the few international airports that are located below sea level. Located just 57km (35 miles) north of Rotterdam, the airport can be reached in about 40 minutes.
- Eindhoven Airport: Located in the south of the country, Eindhoven Airport handled 6.2 million travelers in 2018. Favored by low-cost companies like Ryanair and Wizz Air, the airport is often seen as the cheapest to fly to (and from) in the Netherlands. Located 106km (66 miles) southeast of Rotterdam, the airport can be reached in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Maastricht Airport: Located even farther south than Eindhoven, Maastricht Airport is served by six different airlines, although some only have flights during the summer months. The airport is sometimes also called Aachen Airport after the German city that is right on the other side of the border. Located 190km (118 miles) from Rotterdam, Maastricht Airport can be reached in two hours.
- Brussels Airport: The busiest in Belgium, Brussels Zaventem Airport handled more than 25 million travelers in 2018. The main hub of Brussels Airlines, it hosts flights to and from most European countries as well as destinations in Asia, Africa, and the Americas. Located 140km (87 miles) south of Rotterdam, Brussels Airport takes just 90 minutes to reach. You’ll have to cross the border between the Netherlands and Belgium, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Useful city facts
- Located practically on the coast of the North Sea, Rotterdam has a temperate oceanic climate with mild summers and cool winters. The average high temperature is 22°C (72°F) in July and August, the warmest months, and 4°C (39°F) in January and February. Precipitation is fairly high throughout the year with a small decrease in April. Rotterdam experiences about 25 snowy days every year.
- Rotterdam is one of the most ethnically diverse cities in Europe. About 50% of the city’s inhabitants have at least one parent born outside the country. Many residents of Rotterdam have their roots in former Dutch colonies like Suriname, the Dutch Caribbean Islands, and Indonesia; others come from countries like Turkey, Morocco, and Cape Verde. The city’s eclectic demographic makeup is represented in its diverse cultural institutions, restaurants, and languages spoken. Knowledge of English, like elsewhere in the Netherlands, is very high.
Top destinations and activities
- Van Nelle Factory. One of the very few factories in the world to have the status of being a UNESCO World Heritage site, Van Nellefabriek is the symbol of Rotterdam. A prime example of constructivist architecture, it will celebrate its 100th birthday in 2025. If you want to see the factory from inside, you can only visit as a part of a pre-booked tour and the effort is worth it.
- Grote of Sint-Laurenskerk. The Great or St. Lawrence Church is one of the most famous churches in the Netherlands. Built in the 15th and 16th centuries, the church is one of the very few buildings that survived the bombing of Rotterdam during the Second World War. The church is faced by the statue of Erasmus, another great landmark of the city.
- Delfshaven. Another survivor of the war, the neighborhood of Delfshaven is an interesting place to visit. Travelers love walking along the two canals that bisect the area, checking out the old docks, hangars, warehouses, and quirky local museums along the way.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 130km/h (80 mph) on motorways or autosnelwegen, 100km/h (61 mph) on expressways or autowegen, 80km/h (50 mph) on other roads outside built-up areas and 50km/h (31 mph) on roads and streets inside built-up and urban areas.
- Parking in central Amsterdam can be very pricey and the number of available spaces is limited. A good idea is to park either at one of the large car-parking centers or at the Park and Ride (P+R) outside the city center where the parking is much cheaper, usually costing less than €10 for a full day. There are also many free parking spaces in the Amsterdam-Noord area.
- While it is certainly possible, and sometimes quite enjoyable, to drive around Amsterdam by car, do keep in mind that local etiquette demands that the drivers fully respect cyclists, even if they are not using hand signals for the turns they are about to make.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers and drivers under the age of 24. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, an EU-wide license ban, or imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s registration needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
The only roads in the Netherlands that require paying a fee are two toll tunnels, the Kiltunnel at Dordrecht (about a 30-minute drive south of Rotterdam) and the Westerschelde Tunnel near Terneuzen (about a 1 hour and 20-minute drive south of Amsterdam).
For using the Kiltunnel, you can only pay by cash. The price is €2. For using the Westerschelde, the price is €5. Electronic payment tags are also available, but most rental cars are not equipped with them and they are mainly used by locals who use either of the tunnels frequently.
Ideas for a day-trip
Kinderdijk. The small village of Kinderdijk is best-known for its 19 windmills which can be seen on the covers of many tourist booklets and in documentaries about the Netherlands. The windmills are not only picturesque but also help to keep the water from flooding the area. Located just 24km (15 miles) southeast of Rotterdam, Kinderdijk can be reached in about 30-40 minutes.
Schiedam. Even though the town is famous for more windmills, when it comes to the Rotterdam area, it’s simply impossible to ignore Schiedam. The six windmills in this town have the honor of being the tallest in the world. As if that wasn’t enough of a reason to visit, Schiedam is also home to the Stedelijk Art Museum and a picturesque city hall. Just 7km (4.3 miles) west of Rotterdam center, Schiedam can be reached in about 15 minutes.
The Hague. Better known as the seat of government of the Netherlands and the home of the International Court of Justice, the Hague is also a lovely travel destination. The city’s attractions include beautiful buildings like the Mauritshuis and Binnenhof, high-quality museums that host works of world-famous Dutch artists, and large parks and gardens. Located just 27km (16.7 miles) northwest of Rotterdam, the Hague takes 40 minutes to reach.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Rotterdam is the Ford Focus STW, closely followed by the Toyota Yaris and the Citroen C1. The most popular rental car types are the compact, economy, and mini classes.
- Keukenhof. If there is a symbol of the Netherlands that’s just as famous as windmills, then its tulips - and there’s no better place to see them than Keukenhof. Sometimes called the Garden of Europe, this large flower plantation is open only for eight weeks every year from mid-March to mid-May, but if you can time your trip to make a visit, it’s definitely worth it. In addition to tulips and other flowers, Keukenhof also has a very pretty castle. The garden is in the town of Lisse which is 57km (35 miles) north of Rotterdam and can be reached in one hour.
- Amsterdam. One of the great cities of Europe, Amsterdam is one of the main reasons why visitors come to the Netherlands. Go see the medieval wooden architecture, take a long walk along the city’s canals, visit the Rijksmuseum, or simply relax in Vondelpark - there are many ways to have a great day in Amsterdam. Located 87km (54 miles) northeast of Rotterdam, Amsterdam can be reached in 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Antwerp. Located in the Dutch-speaking part of neighboring Belgium, Antwerp is a unique city. The city’s port is the second-busiest in Europe (after only the port in Rotterdam), but the real pleasures of Antwerp can be found in its unique Diamond District, old Jewish Quarter, and old market square, all of which have many landmarks and are home to a special atmosphere. Antwerp is just 102km (63 miles) south of Rotterdam and can be reached in 1 hour and 40 minutes. To go there from Rotterdam, you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Rotterdam
- Convertibles - from $246 per day
- Station wagons - from $169 per day
- Large cars - from $173 per day
- Medium cars - from $157 per day
- Premium cars - from $225 per day
- Small cars - from $115 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are a number of things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Rotterdam. Start with:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rotterdam is the cheapest in November when renting a car is about 77% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 90% cheaper than renting a vehicle in May.
Top 20 Cities near Rotterdam
Amsterdam Car Rentals from $209.46 per day50.3 km / 31.3 miles away
Eindhoven Car Rentals from $78.13 per day80.9 km / 50.2 miles away
Maastricht Car Rentals from $78.13 per day144.3 km / 89.7 miles away
Groningen Car Rentals from $61.32 per day189.5 km / 117.8 miles away
Tilburg Car Rentals from $57.28 per day58.6 km / 36.4 miles away
21.3 km / 13.2 miles away
Leeuwarden Car Rentals from $57.28 per day162.8 km / 101.1 miles away
Hertogenboch Car Rentals from $57.28 per day60.6 km / 37.6 miles away
Nijmegen Car Rentals from $57.28 per day92.1 km / 57.2 miles away
Harderwijk Car Rentals from $57.28 per day86.3 km / 53.6 miles away
Eemshaven Car Rentals from $57.28 per day226.3 km / 140.6 miles away
Emmen Car Rentals from $57.28 per day185.2 km / 115.1 miles away
Zoetermeer Car Rentals from $57.28 per day12.1 km / 7.5 miles away
Vlaardingen Car Rentals from $57.28 per day15.2 km / 9.4 miles away
Roermond Car Rentals from $57.28 per day131.5 km / 81.7 miles away
Heerhugowaard Car Rentals from $57.28 per day81.3 km / 50.5 miles away
Deventer Car Rentals from $57.28 per day116.0 km / 72.1 miles away
Heerenveen Car Rentals from $57.28 per day146.2 km / 90.8 miles away
93.9 km / 58.3 miles away
Zeist Car Rentals from $57.28 per day50.6 km / 31.4 miles away
Top 12 Locations near Rotterdam
Rotterdam East Car Rentals from $25.55 per day
Rotterdam Airport Car Rentals from $73.13 per day6.5 km / 4.0 miles away
Alphen aan den Rijn Molenaarsbuurt Car Rentals from $57.28 per day22.7 km / 14.1 miles away
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Car Rentals from $78.13 per day42.6 km / 26.5 miles away
Amsterdam Zuidas Car Rentals from $109.97 per day48.5 km / 30.1 miles away
Amsterdam Overtoomse Sluis Car Rentals from $209.46 per day50.3 km / 31.3 miles away
Amsterdam Diemen Car Rentals from $56.20 per day51.3 km / 31.9 miles away
Amsterdam Central Station Car Rentals from $104.73 per day53.5 km / 33.2 miles away
Tilburg Goirke Car Rentals from $57.28 per day58.6 km / 36.4 miles away
Eindhoven Airport Car Rentals from $78.13 per day80.9 km / 50.2 miles away
Maastricht Airport Car Rentals from $78.13 per day144.3 km / 89.7 miles away
Groningen Airport Car Rentals from $61.32 per day189.5 km / 117.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rotterdam?
What’s the usual rental length in Rotterdam?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rotterdam?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Hertz||Toyota Aygo||5||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||VW Transporter||4||5||Vans|
|Europcar||Renault Captur||5||2||Medium cars|
|Hertz||Renault Captur||5||3||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Nissan Qashqai||5||2||Large cars|
|Europcar||Peugeot 3008||4||1||Large cars|
|SIXT||Renault Captur Aut.||4||1||Medium cars|
|Ace Rent a car||VW Golf||4||3||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Mercedes Benz C Class||4||3||Large cars|
|Avis||Kia Picanto||2||2||Small cars|